Little Angel

Spilled Ink

 

It wasn’t too warm, nor too cold. But the cheeky wind gave a smirk and left everyone in a shudder as he toss around the woods. She gave a bright smile as her children, so as to speak, ran around the playground. One of the perks of being a teacher, apart from the joy, was also the lessons that she could learn from these little ones. Adults have grown too fond of “freedom”, that they forget when they were younger, that freedom of free thinking, imagination, no reservations against another person, was even better than what adults have right now. She was pretty glad that her class wasn’t those bunch of kids that will snagged up the wi-fi and sit there for hours staring at that miserable metal screen. She gave a chuckle when Hyunsoo toss a ball at Gayoon, she admired their little innocent love. 

She surveyed the ground to make sure the safety of the kids, but… one child. She was sitting alone in the corner of the playground, the area where the grass is greener, and a beautiful sky draped above her was visible with a lift of her head. Her hair was tied up, and she looks trouble. Teacher being a teacher, or more to, curious… she went forward. 

"Hey…. SooEun? " She gave a warm smile, that little girl only lifted her head and acknowledge her with a smile before looking back down. 
"You okay, sweetie? " she was truly concerned. 

SooEun nodded her head softly, still refusing to look up. 

"Hey?" She has to know what went wrong. What could possibly trouble this little girl? "Is something bothering you..? " SooEun kept quiet, bitting her lips, refusing to speak.  

She just smiled and understood. Little children are human too, they have their times when they want to keep a secret. She decided to sit there, and not let her feel alone. 

"Teacher," she finally spoke up. 

"Mmm?" She made sure she was really listening to her. 

"Why are… " she bit her lips, " Are we bad humans?" 

She widen her eyes at her student, “Why would you say that sweetie?” 

She shook her head and refused to speak again. That left her in a pile of question, was this what was bothering her? 

"Sweetie, we are humans. We don’t say someone is bad, or someone is good. We are humans, we make mistakes…"

"No! " She cut in agitatedly. " I meant, … " she stared at the skies and pondered for a long time. " I don’t know why, I heard umma and appa said that the world was going to end…. I don’t know what that means, but I think it means that we are all going to be punished. " 

She didn’t know how to reply her. She was at a loss of words. 

"I heard, that if we pray, everything will end. " She interrupted her teacher’s thoughts. 

"Everything will end?" She wasn’t sure. 

SooEun nodded her head furiously. “What we do can change the world!” she animatedly waved her hands into a big circle to emphasise on the world. 

She giggled, “How?”

"Okay, " SooEun became the teacher now, " That day when I saw old ajhussi injured his leg, with his legs wrapped up in that white paper thing, I went to hide in a corner and talk to my little angel. I told them to help him get better. AND HE DID! " she grew excited. 

"Aww, sweetie That’s really nice of… ", before she could finished, SooEun went on, " And that time when Jang-In got angry and threw the books, I told my little angels to forgive him, because I know his mother always throw stuff at him. " Then SooEun’s eyes widen and covered . 

"I-mghff dhidn’t shay ahnything… " her muffled words. 

She just smiled, she made a mental note to look into that, but right now, she want to learn from from this little angel. ” It’s okay sweetie, so you changed the world by talking to your little angel?” 

SooEun nodded. ” YES! Can’t you see? In the past Bori would be upset at everything, now he even tried to bring cookies for us. And and, SoYoo, she even praise people now instead of praising herself! “ 

She smiled. This little angel was not any angel but herself. She did witness this child opening up to people, helping them, and encouraging them. Even for that old ahjussi, she always share the apple that her mother gave her. She was her own little angel. 

" Then, darling, don’t stop doing this! " She encouraged. 
Then her face turned dull, she was back to her initial self again. 
" I don’t know… " She murmured, "What’s wrong?" She asked. 

" I didn’t managed to stop those things on the television…" 
"What thing?" she inquired. 

"You know, " she started to draw with her hands, making sound effects of the waves crashing, things falling, people running… and she understood what she was talking about. 

" But… you have your little angel. " 

"She’s too little. " She snapped. 
"She can’t save the world. "

"But she can change your world."

"That’s not enough. I don’t want people to be punished… " 

"You can’t help it sweetie. But just because you can’t help everyone, doesn’t mean you should stop. You can still help other people in your world. Who knows, you can ask them to talk to their little angels and everything will be better?"

"Do you think so?" She looked up with hopeful eyes. 

" I know so. " She smiled. 

"Thank you for not calling me weird Teacher. "SooEun got up and dusted her skirt. 

"Mmm? Why would I?" 

"Because not everyone believe they have a little angel. So they call me weird…." her voice grew soft. 

She smiled, and patted her shoulders. “Don’t listen to them, I’m proud of you for finding your little angel! Fighting Kim Soo Eun! “ 

And then, that little girl ran off with a smile. She wasn’t just a girl. She was a little angel. Such angels reside in people, but often masked by the temporary desires, she hoped that SooEun will never forget her little angel. 

And so she talked to her own little angel.