Let me pretend you are here...

Spilled Ink

"So bring me the night, to tell me it’s here, give me the chance to pretend you’re here. "
 

Fluid. It was cold. It was slimey. It was definitely a fluid. You assumed it was probably blood, whatevers. You rubbed your index finger and thumb together, believing it was a good way to dispose of the remnants of the blood. You dusted your hands, but it seemed to spread the fluid around your hand now. You gave a disgusted groan, before knocking off the thought to remove the evidence. You fumbled for a little pebble. Your hands patted everywhere around you, gently. You felt something hard and rough. You the surface and confirmed it was a pebble. You flung it away from you. You just want to toss it.


It became a habit. You toss pebbles that you picked up, away. 
It was always night time when you did that. 
When you have tossed a good twenty pebbles, you would curled into a ball, bringing your knees to your chest. You would look up into the skies. And slowly let your eyes capture every single star in the sky.

"Hey! " You remarked. 
” You there? ” You glared at one particular star, you fumbled for a pebble and toss it into the sky. You caught its shadow plunging downwards after you toss it up, you instinctively crouched your head down and the pebble hit the back of your head.

You growled at the star again, “Alright! You caught me! I didn’t do it longer than two minutes okay! ” you snapped as you dusted your hands.

Silence and Cricket sounds played the night.

As if you heard someone talking, you replied, “Today, … ” you started off slow, ” She told me that she hated me. ” You bit your lips. 
You swallowed your emotions and held back that wave of tears, ” And today… ” your voice shook, ” he slapped her in front of me.  ” You glared at that star and snapped, “You said everything would be fine! ” You took a pebble and flung at that star in anger.


You looked down at the ground, the moonlight vaguely outlined the landscape you sat on. You fiddled with a particular grass and huddled your knees together. You mumbled, ” Remember,… What you told me when we were ten? “ 

You waited, giving him the silence to respond. 

While your fingers dug a little of the earth to unearth what was hidden.

" You said, _____-ah. Promise me. Promise me that ten years later, no matter what had happened between the ten years, we will be meeting each other with a smile. It wouldn’t be a fake smile, but a genuine one. Not because we’re giving a smile to each other just to show each other that the ten years that we have been through was easy. But because, no matter what had happened, whether it was easy or tough, we are strong enough to overcome and face it with a smile. Because at the end of the day, it’ll be all a dream. Remember how we played with sticks when we were five, or how we played hide-and-seek when we were eight. All those have past and became dreams in our memories. 
But in this future dream that we will live through, remember, ______- ah, that no one can take away your smile but you. No one can make you cry unless you let yourself cry. And no one, can ever tell you that you are worth less than what you are, unless you believed that yourself. Because you’re the most beautiful girl I know, and Dada and Mama said that growing up is tough. ” you mumbled. 
You choked on your own saliva as your airways are clogged with emotions and your vision was already blurry from all the tears. 

" But, you know, " You replied as if he was talking to you. 
" Sometimes I wondered, why did the trees still turn orange after it was green, sometimes I wondered, why people choose to follow the person before them and stayed on the left or right of the escalator, I wondered why people would cry and smile and say they are okay. " You rambled, not sure if you made any sense. 

" Mama said every seasons have their stage to themselves. They have three months to showcase what they can’t for the remaining nine months. Dada said, people followed because they feel secure knowing they are not alone. After knowing how small they are as compared to the universe, they want to know that they aren’t as small as they really are. That’s why people want to be loved instead of choosing to be loved. " 
You picked up another pebble and toss it with all your strength. 
"I’m waiting for you to tell me the answer to the last question. " 

"But, thank you, for letting me pretend you’re here. It’s been ten years since the day you told me, maybe a little more than ten years, but I just want to let you know, I’m good. Life’s unfair, Life’s tough, but I’m good. I have met beautiful people that make me smile on random days, I have beautiful surprises that reminds me that it’s worth living. " You looked up at the sky, right at that star. 

" Even though you took away the reason for living with you, I believe, that you’re here with me still.. " 



Your fingers touched something metal and you slowly edged the metal box out. It was a time capsule that both of you had made ten years ago. He wanted to make sure, when life got you down ten years later, what was in the time capsule would bring you back up. You the metal box, and recalled your time capsule for him was just a little to your right. You dug a little and immediately felt that metal box, you weren’t that much of a digger when you’re younger. You gave him the same promise too. 

You opened both boxes, and both boxes had the same item. 

A mirror.