Smile

Spilled Ink

Another Day. Another Life. Passes by just like mine, it’s not complicated. Another mind. Another soul. Another body to grow old, it’s not complicated.

He walked as he hummed to a tune. He heard it as he passed by a shop, and that song has stuck in his head for quite some time. He wondered if the sweet potatoes down this street would be still be selling at this time. It wasn’t any special day. It was just another day. But, like any other day, people can choose to redefine their mondays, away from the norm. Like himself. He has arranged for his lessons to be in the later of the week. So, monday, is just another break. But, people can’t live by breaks do they? If one doesn’t work, doesn’t study, doesn’t have commitments, would they only live in front of their electronic gadgets? Or sleep through their day? What is life?

He trudged his way down the streets, and the familiar grey smoke afar warmed his heart. Sweet potatoes. He did a silent victory cheer, not noticing how fast his feet were pacing their way to the stand. This is probably life to him, enjoying a good ol’ sweet potato. ” One please. ” he dug for his wallet as he spoke. ” Forget that, ” the old man said. ” Sorry? ” he didn’t understand. ” My treat. ” that old man gave off a toothy grin. “Huh? What? Why? ” he didn’t understand completely. Why would an old man give up the chance to sell his sweet potato?

**Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you? Float down, like autumn leaves. And Hush now, close your eyes before the sleep. And you’re miles away, And yesterday, you were here with me. **

He wasn’t anyone special. Not the president’s son. Not the most handsome person. Why would he be blessed with such a surprising kind act? He should be the one giving this to the old man.

That old man smiled, ” My late wife told me to give out free sweet potatoes to any young person that comes to me with a smile. “

He stunned, and couldn’t speak for a while. Before a tiny smile found a place on his face, and eventually grew wider. “But… I can’t accept this. ” he tried to pay for it. ” There aren’t many young people that smile at an old man. ” He kept silent, but still maintain his smile. ” Young Boy, most people wouldn’t use 37 muscles to smile at the smallest things in life, only smiling at the bigger things in life like wealth and fame. It’s rare to see someone smiling at sweet potatoes. ” that old man continued.

"Well… " he gave an embarrassed look before shrugging his shoulders, " i… just like sweet potatoes. " That old man smiled and gave it a thought, as he wrapped the sweet potato into a brown bag. "And my wife said the same thing " He lifted his head with a grin, and in that moment, he didn’t felt that this man before him was a sorrow man mourning for his wife’s death, but rather, a happy man feeling blessed for everything he has, and he has lost.

Could he ever be like him ?

**Another tear, Another cry Another place for us to die, it’s not complicated. Another love that’s gone to waste. Another light lost from your face. It’s complicated. **

"Thankyou, " he said it sincerely. "Have a great day, " That old man just smiled.

**”…and we’ll live forever now. ”