Valentine's Day

Lothario's Definition of Love

valentine_gifts_for_her.jpg

Yoona's eyes widened at the sight of roses, love letters and beautifully wrapped parcels stacking up on her desk. Stupefied, she turns to see a bunch of fanboys peeking through the windows. They ducked behind the walls and pillars the moment they saw her eyeing them. She sighs, wondering what she has to do to clear the gifts taking up all the space of her desk.

Girls were squealing away in delight when they receive their gifts, while confessions brought about laughter and cheer. Chatter and laughter has spread like a deadly disease among the entire school. As Yoona sat down, she felt uneasy with the absence of Jaejoong. Known for his punctuality, Yoona wondered where he went.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

'Im Yoona!' A familiar voice calls out to her as she walks down the hallway. She spins around to see Taecyeon standing a distance away from her.

'Oppa...' She mutters as he approaches her with a bouquet of roses and an enormous teddy bear, grinning from ear to ear.

'Yoona ah, Happy Valentine's Day!' He yells aloud, calling for the attention of his schoolmates. Everyone turns to look at them in amazement.

Yoona gasped. 'What is he thinking of doing right now?' She avoided the stares with her eyes downcast.

'Im Yoona sshi. Nan jeongmal dangsin-eul joh-ahaeyo. (I really like you!)' He flashes an affectionate smile. 'Please accept this!' Bowing, he held the bouquet of flowers before her.

tumblr_lfbnhrUPAb1qfwhrco1_500.png

'Oppa...' Yoona blushed crimson. She was moved to tears. 'Oppa, don't do this...'

'Yoona sshi. Nan jeongmal dangsin-eul joh-ahaeyo!' He exclaimed louder this time. More stares as jealousy and envy floated in the air.

'Okay okay... Thank you very much. I love you too...' She took the bouquet of flowers from him as a lovely smile flickered across her face.

'I'll carry the bear. It's too huge for you.' Taecyeon offered. 'But before that, I want a hug.' Without giving her a chance to hesitate, he steps in and embraces her warmly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nr-studio.jpg

Twisting the doorknob open, Yoona tiptoed into the Art studio. After searching high and low for him, she has finally found him facing a portrait, completely engrossed in it. With his back facing her, he has no idea that she was walking in his direction, ready to surprise him with her sudden appearance. As she walks closer to him, she happens to steal a glimpse of the portrait he has been painting all this while. Just one look at it made Yoona stop in her track. Stunned, she stares at the portrait of a lovely woman.

It was nonetheless, her. Yoona's jaws dropped as she retreated away, taking small steps backward before knocking into a desk.The bang startled the two of them. Jaejoong jerks up from his seat and spins around, only to see Yoona's face contorting in pain.

'Are you alright?' He was about to pull her in and check whether she was fine, but restrained himself from doing so. She locked her eyes into his.

'Jaejoong ah... W-Why did you draw a portrait of me?' She stuttered, looking bewildered.

Jaejoong turns to face the portrait, dumbfounded. Jaejoong wanted to deny everything. He didn't want to jeopardize their friendship now that there was no way he could win her over. He wanted to pretend like he was never once interested in her. He was going to protect her silently this way. But he couldn't. He can no longer lie about his feelings anymore.

'Yoona, I've never believe love existed, not in my life. It was, to me, a beautiful and unrealistic dream. I never understood why my biological father abandoned me. I thought one day, he was going to realize that he loves me and wants to acknowledge me. But he never did. My foster parents then became my world. But the love shared among 9 children wasn't enough to relieve me from the pain of rejection...' His voice started cracking as Yoona felt hot tears pricking her eyes.

'I had to leave my hometown when I was 15 just to enter college. I needed to start a life without my family. Without love. When I was down and out, I met this girl. Her genuine smile and cheerful laughter was medicine to my torn soul. She made me believe in what destiny can bring forth. She taught me how to love.'

'No,' Yoona felt sorrow grip her. 'Don't say it...' She pleaded with him, tears b in her reddened eyes.

'She is the woman I love.' He pointed to the portrait, feeling melancholic. Yoona avoided his eyes,clearly aware that she will break down upon looking at him.

'But rejection is my fate. I never manage to capture your heart, Yoona. I was a coward who can't express my feelings for you. I was an idiot for not seizing the opportunity to love you. I watch love slip through my fingers, but did nothing to deserve you. I know it's too late, but I've given this heart of mine away and I can't take it back. I can't...' He flashes a faint smile before he turns to leave for the exit. Misery overwhelmed him, but he suppressed the pain.

'Jaejoong ah,,.' She cries, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. But he was already gone.

'I'm sorry...' She cups her face with her hands, as a flood of tears gush down her cheeks. 'I'm so sorry...'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-To be Continued-

 

Addendum: Thanks for reading! You guys make my day. I don't want to lengthen this chapter because it will make reading difficult. I'll combine just this chapter with the next one to form ONE chapter on 'Valentine's Day'. I will update Part II hopefully in an hour's time :D

-Smile- xoxo