Of Old Tire and Abandoned Garden

A Thousand Firsts

Jungkook had always been the shy type. That meant, he tended to have difficulty interacting with other people. Like speaking in front of many people or simply expressing what he wants to someone else. But the hardest of all was making a new friend, especially when he just moved from Busan to Daegu this morning, and his mom already forced him to go to the play ground two blocks away from his house by himself in the afternoon.

Jungkook was barely six years old and he had to go to the place full of stranger that mostly didn’t give a to his inner battle between forcing himself to make a new friend with one of those kids who was busily playing around and paid no attention to his existence or ran back to his house. And he chose the latter, only he ran to the wrong direction. And he only realized it after running about ten minutes and found himself in some kind of abandoned garden instead of his house.

To say that he wasn’t scared would be an utter lie, because at that moment he actually was terrified. It was the first time for Jungkook getting lost and the fact that he was kind of trapped in a place that looked like haunted garden made him more frightened than he was before. He looked around only to find so many bushes surrounded the area, there was a park bench in between those bushes and he decided to sit there while trying to calm his mind and thinking about what he was going to do. But no matter how hard he tried to calm his own mind, he couldn’t do that, there was something in the way the sky started to get dark and the light that slowly got dimmer in this place that made his anxiety worsen. And when he heard a noise came from the bushes in front of him he started to panic. He was about to run away when he caught a rather peculiar movements on those bushes and suddenly a mop of black hair pop out from there.

“Wow, someone is actually sitting on my bench.” Jungkook was still in his shocked state, so he wasn’t able to respond whatever nonsense that the boy in front of him said. “Congratulation, you are the first person who actually sit on my bench. You know, I made it my self so it’s kind of super duper cool. You should feel grateful to be able to sit on this epic art work.” And then the boy grinned.

To be honest, Jungkook didn’t know how to react, because first, he wasn’t sure if the boy in front him who had an old tire hang around his neck was a human or a ghost, and second, he wasn’t really agree to consider a park bench as an art work. He meant, wasn’t it supposed to be a carpenter work?

“Wait, I think you don’t look familiar. Are you new here?” Jungkook just stared at the other boy. “I think you are, and hey, what are you doing here? I thought this place was secluded enough to be my hideout, but the fact that a newcomer can find it makes me consider to reconsider it.”

Jungkook was still not sure whether the boy in front of him was a human or not. But he could be sure about one thing, this boy was talkative as hell, considering that he was the only one that talk this whole time and didn’t seem to notice at all.

And suddenly the boy in front of him let out a rather loud gasp, “Ah! You’re lost, aren’t you?” Jungkook nodded, “Of course you are! I mean, how can a newcomer find out about my hideout other than him being lost and accidentally arrive at this cool place.”

And something just clicked on Jungkook’s mind. Maybe he could ask for a help from this boy, human or not. So Jungkook was about to ask him about that matter, but of course being the talkative one, that boy beat him to that.

“You know, because you’ve already been here, I have no choice but to share this place with you. Ah! You can even help me to make a swing with this tire.” He pointed the tire that still hung around his neck, “But for now, I think I should help you going back to your house, your parents might be worried sick. So tell me, where did you come from?”

“Bu...Busan.”

“No, no, I mean, where did you come from before you got your self lost in this cool place?”

“Oh, I was running away from the playground.”

“Then, playground is our new destination. We can find a way to your house from there. Come on! Follow me!”

Usually Jungkook would think twice before he followed someone, especially stranger with a tire hung around his neck, but this time he found himself following that strange boy without so much hesitation, mainly because he had no choice or he didn’t want to be left alone in that place. And it was proven that Jungkook had made the right decision, because the next thing he knew he was already in front of the gate of his house with the strange yet kind boy who still had an old tire hung around his neck.

“Wow, we’re actually a neighbor. You know my house just at the end of the road.” He pointed somewhere in the already dark road and Jungkook just nodded at the other boy’s explanation, “So, uh, I guess I’ll get going, my mother will kill me if I come home any latter. Bye.” He just turned around and continued walking down the road. Jungkook watch his figure went smaller as he realized that he didn’t even thank the other boy.

“I see you made some new friend there Jungkook-ah.” Jungkook turned around only to find his mom was leaning against the wooden gate, “Who is his name?”

Jungkook was about to open his mouth when he realized that he didn’t have the answer for his mother’s question. Jungkook didn’t know his knight in old tire styled armor’s name. And that fact had successfully kept him awake that night.

It was on his first day of going to his new school when he met that strange boy again. This time Jungkook was on his nervous state when he heard a familiar voice behind him. He turned around and found the said boy jus a couple of meter away from him, busily chatting with slightly taller boy. Jungkook didn’t have the courage to call the other boy first, so he just kept staring at the other boy’s face hoping that somehow he could feel it and acknowledged Jungkook’s existence.

And Jungkook didn’t know how, but it worked. The other boy’s gaze met his and a grin slowly spread on his face, “Hey, new kid!” now he was running to get closer to Jungkook’s position in front of the school’s gate, a slightly taller boy that talked to him before was following him too. “You’re going to this school too. Cool! And you are in the class…?”

“1 B.” Jungkook answered with a slight smile on his face.

“Oh, you’re my junior? I thought we were in the same grade. Come on, new kid, I’ll walk you to class.”

Jungkook didn’t know why but he didn’t like the way the older boy called him as a new kid. Maybe because Jungkook wanted the other boy to be his friend, and the least friend should know is a name. How could someone befriend the other if they didn’t even know each other’s name?

“It’s Jungkook, my name is Jeon Jungkook.” That was the first time Jungkook gave his name to anybody without waited for them to ask him first. And when he saw the other boy smile at him, he knew he did the right thing.

“Taehyung, my name is Kim Taehyung. I’m from class 3 C, and that boy is Yoongi hyung, he’s from class 5 A and currently our rope supplier.”

“Rope supplier?”

Taehyung just nodded, and suddenly they were already in front of Jungkook’s class, “So Jungkook, don’t forget we have to make the swing after school.” Oh, so that was the rope for, Jungkook thought. “I’ll pick you up at your house.” he winked before turned around and just like the other night, Jungkook just watched the figure of his new friend disappeared in the crowd of students, yeah, the figure of his first friend.