VII: Avec

Nocturne Academy
"Are you sure about this combination?" Gikwang frowns with doubt. "I still don't agree with this final decision."
 
"And we're not going to change it within last minute. I'm sure I have asked you to tell your complaint since two days ago," Hin looks at the mirror as she is tidying her white dress. "I think I have warned you beforehand."
 
"I agreed because I didn't need to practice together," Gikwang quickly moves behind Hin. His reflection is nowhere to be seen through the mirror. He lifts Hin's chin slowly as he smells Hin's sweet scent. "You do have some nerves to mess up the whole song."
 
"We have divided the part carefully," Mir appears from the darkness. "I think we just need to perform just as our first plan. This is the best we had for only two days of training."
 
"I think we need to work together, at least for this once," Yoseob continues. He just stepped inside the backstage room with Eunjung and Junho. His eyes are locked on Gikwang. "We need to concentrate on our teamwork if we want to beat the other group."
 
"This once," Gikwang smirks. "Fine."
 
He leaves the backstage room. Hin leaves the backstage room as well without any word, followed by the rest because they are going to perform in five minutes.
 
Joon just done with the performance with his group. They performed the song without any mistake since they have been training for more than two weeks.
 
Joon's coordination, Yonghwa's rap, Jieun's vocal, Hyorin's flawless high notes, Nickhun's perfect performance, and Hyuna's y dance have charmed the audiences.
 
They step down the stage, taking their seats as they wait for another group performance, the last one. They performed after all candidates of department representatives have done with the stage.
 
"They didn't watch our performance," Joon murmurs, having a mysterious smile. "I wonder what Hin will do."
 
"And I'm wondering why the coincidences happened to their group," Yonghwa mutters calmly. "They didn't even have times to practice until two days ago. The dance moves of the refrain part is quite difficult and it's nearly impossible for them to arrange dance moves for the complete song."
 
"You're really good," Joon chuckles as his eyes don't leave the dark stage. "Let's see their performance then."
 
The piano melodies start to echo in the hall, causing all audiences to fall into silence.
 
The spotlight shines on Yoseob who is standing in the center of the stage, wearing the black leather jacket and black shirt.
 
Yoseob holds the microphone, singing carefully along with the piano tunes.
 
"Every day I just can't control
Every night the loneliness my love"
 
Mir raises his microphone and whispers loud enough.
 
"Yeah... So beast"
 
"What? A ballad song?" Hyuna mocks. "They change the song into a ballad? They are so going to lose!"
 
"Please watch your words," Yonghwa warns with caution. "They are performing the same song with us."
 
Mir continues his rap part but it's really different from his usual rapping part. He must rap slowly, following the melodies from the piano.
 
"Can't breathe, like freeze nae momi gudeoga
Hey dear, stay here nae nuni meoreoga
No way losing my way, neon wae meoreojigiman hae
Apeugi sirheo nan gipeoman gan maeumeun eotteokhana"
 
Can’t breathe, my body’s getting stiff like an ice
Hey dear, stay here, I’m going blind
No way losing my way, why are you drifting away?
I don’t want to get hurt, but what will we do with my love struck heart?
 
The spotlight goes off from Mir. It spots Junho now, who is ready to sing his part.
 
"Nan amu maldo deullijiga annneunde
Nan amugeotdo boijiga annneunde"
 
I don’t hear anything
I don’t see anything
 
Another spotlight goes on Eunjung now, who is standing right next to Junho.
 
"Oh kimi wo usinattekara"
 
This has happened after losing you
 
Joon's eyes widen up after Eunjung's part. Some audiences notice that the lyrics are different from their former performance.
 
They changed the lyrics.
 
Junho sings his part again but this time the lyrics are the same even though the melodies are completely different from them, thanks to the piano.
 
"Geu mueot hana hal su eomneun nainde"
 
I couldn’t focus on anything else
 
Joon stares at Hin; it's her part now. And for his surprise, he finally realized that they didn't change the lyrics.
 
"Tomatteku owatteku
Oresaemo kieru"
 
It's coming to a stop, It's coming to an end
A part of me disappears as well
 
They sing it in Japanese.
 
The spotlight changes from Hin to Gikwang now. He rises his microphone, closing his eyes as he sings his part seriously in Korean.
 
"Nuneul gamado nae gieok sogeseo
Ni moseubi heuryeojineunde"
 
Even if I close my eyes
You're still fading away from my memories
 
"Are they singing some parts in Japanese?" Jieun mutters to anybody. She doesn't need an answer; she knew the answer already.
 
Yoseob stands under the spotlight with the microphone, ready to sing the refrain of the song, partly in Korean, partly in Japanese.
 
Hin has warned him that he will receive the most difficult part of the performance since he must sing in two different languages but he accepted the challenge anyway.
 
"Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I’m sorry kimi wo torimodoakutte
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Nan neo ttaemune amugeotdo hal su eomneunde oh"
 
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I’m sorry, I just want to find you again
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Because of you I can’t focus on anything else Oh
 
He sang it pretty well, considering that it's a really different version from the original version. He synced his voice with the piano perfectly.
 
Six spotlights shine on all of them now, as they sing together in harmony of ballad.
 
"Come to me oh oh oh tonight so so crazy
Come back back back to me (I'm waiting you you)
Oh oh oh tonight so so crazy"
 
Yoseob sings the last part of their ballad plan in Japanese, hitting the notes.
 
"Kiga kuruisouna kono heart break my shock"
 
I am really going to lose it Heart break my shock
 
The lights go off all of a sudden and the piano stops.
 
"Are they done?" Hyorin frowns. It's too short for a performance.
 
Less than three seconds, the lights go on brightly as the music starts. It's not a ballad anymore; the original tempo of the music has started. The audiences can see the stage clearly now; six of them are actually standing on a platform where a staircase link the platform with the stage.
 
Mir steps down the stairs, rapping his part in his usual tempo, showing his charm that he held back at first.
 
"Hey ya, wake up
Jeongsincharyeo bomyeon neoneun gyeote eobseo
Oh lalalalalala michin saramcheoreom utgo isseo
Geuriumi pado chineun badae maeil heoujeokdae
nan motae (forget you) pyeongsaeng ireoke"
 
Hey ya, wake up
Once I wake up, you’re not by my side
Oh lalalalalala, now you’re laughing like a lunatic
I’m struggling everyday against the clashing waves of loneliness
I can’t (forget you) for the rest of my life
 
Eunjung steps down the stairs with powerful voice. Her eyes look at the audiences with charm; she looks like a different person from her ordinary days.
 
"Konna ni mo kurushiinara
Kimi wo hanasazu ittadarou"
 
If I knew it was this painful
I would have never lost you in the first place
 
Junho walks down the staircase calmly as the audiences watch him carefully.
 
"Oh dasi neoreul jababoryeo haedo"
 
Oh, even if I try to embrace you once more
 
Eunjung moves to her position along with Junho while Mir has frozen in his position, waiting for his turn.
 
"Sakebi wa yami e to kieru"
 
My shouts disappear into the darkness
 
Gikwang walks down the stairs, putting his usual smirk on his face as he sings his part, walking to his position.
 
"Sumi gappawa gaseumi apa ni saenggageul hamyeon hal surok"
 
It’s hard to breath and my heart hurts
 
Joon's eyes quickly turn to Hin. The girl steps down to her position, joining with the others on the original stage.
 
"Tachiseukumi toki wo tome mada mae ni susumenai"
 
I'm here standing without a movement Stop the time because I can't move on
 
The refrain starts. Yoseob steps down the stairs while singing the refrain but the others dance the refrain part. Their dance moves of the refrain are part that they can't change due to headmaster's request.
 
"Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I'm sorry jebal naege dasi dorawa jullae
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Ikuna yo konna ni mo kurushikutte oh"
 
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I’m sorry, please come back to my side
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Don't go because I am this much in pain Oh
 
Their dance moves are flawless, just like Joon's group have done before them.
 
Yoseob has joined in the dance, singing the part with Mir and Hin in unison.
 
"Come to me, oh oh oh tonight's (so so crazy)
Come back, back back to me (I’m waiting you you!)
Oh oh oh tonight's (so so crazy)"
 
Yoseob is on the front line, singing the last line of the refrain part.
 
"Jeoldaero kkaeeonal su eobseul geot gata ma shock"
 
I don't think I can ever wake up from ma shock
 
Mir and Gikwang stand side by side, walking across each other while Hin and the three others stand in position, ready to continue with dance moves.
 
"Ano yumede (yume)
Kimi no koe (koe)
Kikoenai Mienai"
 
Still in my dreams (dream)
I can't hear your voice (voice) or see it
 
Hin sings the part while Eunjung stands behind her, Junsu and Yoseob next to her, dancing together.
 
"Niga nal tteonaseo haengbokhae handamyeon
Geureomyeon naega nunmul chamabolge"
 
If you’re happy to be away from my side
Then I will try to hold in my tears for you
 
Hin hits the high notes perfectly. Six of them walk to the front, singing in unison of the last refrain. All audiences can't take their eyes off of their performance.
 
Yoseob sings really good, despite the fact that he must sing in two different languages turn by turn.

Right when they are going to sing the refrain, fire appears from nowhere as a circle around them. It's a part of their plan for performance stage; they are singing in the middle of the fire.
 
"Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I’m sorry kimi wo torimodositakutte
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Nan neo ttaemune amugeotdo hal su eomneunde oh"
 
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
I’m sorry, I just want to find you again
Every day I shock (shock)
Every night I shock (shock)
Because of you I can’t focus on anything else Oh
 
They have stand on their own positions, singing the last part of the song while Junho does the ad-lib.
 
"Come to me oh oh oh tonight so so crazy
Come back back back to me (I'm waiting (for) you you)
Oh oh oh tonight so so crazy"
 
Yoseob finishes the song with perfection.
 
"Kiga kuruisouna kono heart break my shock"
 
I am really going to lose it Heart break my shock
 
Mir whispers the last line, looking directly to Yonghwa as if he is challenging him.
 
"This song is not over
Get shock!"
 
The fire disappears and the lights go off as the audiences applause for the unique performance; combination of ballad and techno, combination of Korean and Japanese. This group has completely caught the attention.
 
"They're unbelievable," Nickhun even claps for them. "I heard they just practiced for two days."
 
"Interesting. They changed the music composition so they don't need to dance for the whole song," Joon smiles, hiding his disbelieveness that Hin can still perform this great after everything happened in her group. "Let's see what will happen next then."
 
 
##########
 
Glossary #7
Avec: with or with another
 
Author's Note #2
Shock, a track from Shock of the Era, 2nd mini album

 

 


Shock, a track from So Beast, 1st Japanese album

 



Combination of Korean and Japanese - different one from the performance though -