III: Zeichen

Nocturne Academy
"Good night, students," Miss Cho enters the classroom with two thick books on her hands. She stands in front of the classroom with all students look at her in silence.
 
"So tonight marks a week since the opening ceremony," Miss Cho gives the students a warm smile. "Have all of you make friends?"
 
It is a rethorical question. She doesn't ask for anyone to answer it but then a girl in white uniform set and black ribbon speaks up all of a sudden.
 
"Why are the Classical Music Major students here?" she asks with the obviously annoyed tone. Her eyes are set on the students with white uniform sets but wearing silver ribbons in the classroom.
 
"Do you have a problem with that, Kim Hyuna?" Miss Cho's smile has disappeared. "All of you here are Talented Artists Education Program students. Major doesn't matter here. You know that all students are treated equally in Nocturne Academy. We have warned you beforehand."
 
Hyuna turns away, leans impatiently to her chair. Some of the students are whispering to each other, talking about the fact Hyuna has said.
 
It is indeed uncommon. Students usually study with classmates from the same major and the same program. At least that's what happened in the past four days since the opening ceremony.
 
"As you can see here, students from Talented Artists Education Program of both majors will attend three same classes every Friday night. Mr Kang and Mrs Kim will be the next teachers for your classes," Miss Cho explains. "Any questions?"
 
Miss Cho's eyes stop at the student who wears white uniform set and silver ribbon. He is raising his hand, ready to ask a question to Miss Cho.
 
"Yes, Lee Junho?" Miss Cho looks at him, folding her hands patiently. "What is your question?"
 
"The next week showcase by student representatives," he looks directly to Miss Cho. "I've read the announcement on academy announcement board but there are no requirements written."
 
"I think we have warned you beforehand," Miss Cho explains. "All events consisting students will be managed by NASCA. You need to meet President of NASCA in person for the detail. I think all of you have already known where the secretariat is."
 
Junho nods slowly, taking her answer as a satisfied one. He takes out his book from his bag and buries himself in the book.
 
"Another question?" Miss Cho looks down and starts to open her own book.
 
"Miss Cho," a girl with silver ribbon raises her hand shyly. "Can I ask you a question?"
 
"Sure, Ham Eunjung," Miss Cho stops reading her book. "Anything."
 
"I want to know about the history of Nocturne Academy," Eunjung squeaks. "Anything will be good. I just want to know the history from a teacher."
 
Miss Cho's lips form into a curve, "I will be happy to share the history to all of you. Anyone have an idea where to begin with?"
 
"Song Minah is a mermaid and Park Haeri is a vampire," a blonde guy with black ribbon blunts with relaxed tone. "You may begin with that, Miss Cho."
 
"Nice one, Nichkhun," Miss Cho nods as her agreement. "I'm sure all of you know that is not easy to pass the entrance examination. Many people tried again and again each year, wondering about the mysterious and difficult entrance examination."
 
"But they ended up failing," Miss Cho continues, "because we only let creatures with special requirements to pass the test. Veela and Dark Elves are only two of our examiners. There are more than twenty species who work and live in Nocturne Academy."
 
Miss Cho let her eyes set on Yoseob for seconds before she continues again, "Human and dwarfs are the minority races in Nocturne Academy yet they will be always treated equally with other races. To differentiate whether people have a chance to enter Nocturne Academy, they will receive a letter after they submitted their applicant forms.
 
"If you can read the magic ink written on the letter, you can continue to the entrance examination. If you find nothing on the letter, that means you're not qualified to be our student," Miss Cho's eyes are set on Gikwang now, who is looking back at her without fear.
 
"Only students who graduated from Nocturne Academy will have complete memories of their studies. The failed applicants or drop out students will have their memories erased by the headmaster himself.
 
"Human race is the only race who will be given special informations right before the entrance examination so they will understand a little piece of information about creatures who live in Nocturne Academy," Miss Cho ends her explanation.
 
"Then tell me," Gikwang smirks, "doesn't it mean human race receive a special treatment?"
 
"Each of you has your own special needs," Miss Cho says every word cautiously. "Human, Vampire, Werewolf, Elf, Fairy. Nocturne Academy doesn't make any exceptions for all races."
 
"That's why we are forbidden from attacking another student, isn't it?" Nichkhun rests his chin on his arm lazily. "Even though our archenemies are standing right in front of us."
 
"Nocturne Academy is serious about achieving the dreams of talented artists. We never graduated students without true skill even though they are actually strong enough for their races.
 
"All grades, skills, and attitudes of you will be evaluated each year as considerations for your graduation. Even NASCA representatives are no exception for this rule," Miss Cho ends her explanation with serious tone.
 
No one speaks up again.
 
"Good, no question," Miss Cho looks back to her book. "Now open your book on page 4. We are going to explore more about absolute pitch here."
 
After around an hour, the bell rings as a sign Miss Cho's class is already over. One by one of the students leave the classroom, heading to their own directions; cafetaria, library, restrooms, academy yard.
 
"Miss Cho," Yoseob approaches her when no one left in the classroom except themselves. "Can I apply to be a representative of Classical Music Major?"
 
Miss Cho frowns but then gives him a comforting smile, "Everyone has a chance to be a representative. Why don't you try to be a representative for a department first? I think you're doing perfectly good with Vocal Music."
 
"Can't I be a representative for my major in my first year?" Yoseob asks different question. "I asked some people before and they told me that the representatives for major usually came from second year or third year students."
 
"Everything can happen here, boy," Miss Cho tells him. "Hin is the second student who was elected as President of NASCA even though she was just finished her first year. Well, little did they know that Nocturne Academy did have representatives for both major from first year students in the past."
 
"So there is a chance for me?" Yoseob blinks, looking obviously happy. He has been charmed by Hin since the day he was interviewed by her. Something about Hin is really mysterious yet captivating.
 
Plus Yoseob thinks that joining in NASCA as one of the way to be acknowledged with respect in Nocturne Academy despite he is only a human.
 
"You may go to the NASCA secretariat now," Miss Cho is ready to leave the classroom. "You have a free time period for fifteen minutes. I'm sure they will help you with your further questions."
 
Yoseob bows to Miss Cho and leaves the classroom quickly, letting himself steps away to NASCA secretariat which is located on the third floor, right next to the headmaster office.
 
He is not the only student who wants to meet Hin or the rest of NASCA representatives. There are more than ten students, waiting for their turns to come inside of the secretariat.
 
"A human is here," Hyuna hisses. She was leaning to the wall before she straighten her body and looks at Yoseob directly. "You are indeed something, Yang Yoseob."
 
"Are you going to apply as a department representatives too?" Eunjung asks him politely. "I am going to apply as representative of Department of Opera."
 
"He wants to apply for major representative," Gikwang speaks out without hiding his arrogance, having all eyes to set on him.
 
"I thought I was the only one who willing to take the risky position," Gikwang stands up from his seat, having both of his hands in his pockets. "I guess you are actually my biggest rival here."
 
"H-how did you know..." Eunjung stammers, confused because of Gikwang's sudden statement.
 
"Because he can read mind," Nichkhun smirks. "Lee Gikwang is one of the pure blood vampire. No wonder he has the rare ability."
 
"This is going to be fun," Junho smiles with excitement. "I wonder if the day both of you were called up to the podium was already a sign of your rivalry."
 
"Maybe," Yoseob murmurs. "A sign can be interpreted as anything."
 
"A sign," Gikwang mumbles. He turns around and sits again on his previous seat, glancing at Yoseob carefully. "I wonder if Hin is also another sign of our rivalry."
 
Yoseob was going to reply his words when the door of NASCA secretariat is cracked open by Jieun.
 
"Hin and Joon have decided to let four students to talk first in this first free time period," Jieun explains. "The rest of you can come back at the second free time period."
 
A girl with brown uniform set and silver ribbon steps inside, ignoring the students with white uniform sets. Hyuna and Nichkhun follows her behind and another man with black uniform set and black ribbon enters the door.
 
"Please come back for the next free time period," Jieun bows to the remaining students outside of the secretariat and closes the door.
 
Gikwang stands up and walks without a word, back to the classroom. Yoseob shrugs and turns to return to the classroom as well. Junho and Eunjung trail them, deciding that they will come back again later.
 
"I am left with you to meet Hin," Gikwang stops his step suddenly when they almost reach the classroom. He turns to look at Yoseob. "Is that another sign?"
 
"Maybe," Yoseob answers simply and walks pass Gikwang, stepping inside the classroom silently, waiting for Mr Kang to start the class.

##########

Glossary #3
Zeichen (in Germany): sign