XVII: Duolo

Nocturne Academy
"It hurts," Yoseob groans and rubs his temple. He straightens his body and finds around to find Gikwang, Jieun, and Suji are standing in the darkness with him.
 
Before one of them can even speak out, a bright light shines upon them, making them to cover their eyes with their arms. Seconds later they're already standing in the middle of trees.
 
"Shadow Forest," Jieun murmurs, gritting her teeth with anger. She doesn't want to return to this place again. Not after what happened in this forest two months ago.
 
The moment Jieun mentioned where they are, both Yoseob and Gikwang can't hide their surprise. Their eyes quickly wander around to find any dangerous possibilities they may encounter.
 
Shadow Forest, the sacred forest of magical creatures where Song Minah and Park Haeri, two figures who established Nocturne Academy, died because of magical attacks. This forest is forbidden for everyone and its presence is hidden from ordinary human.
 
Until this moment some races believe that the magical attacks to Song Minah and Park Haeri was planned by someone but none of them tries to seek the truth deeper. Therefore their deaths are announced as an accident.
 
Shadow Forest is located around five miles away from Nocturne Academy and the area is protected by all Nocturne Academy staffs and Valkyries.
 
"There is no need to beware for the dangers," Suji chuckles at Yoseob and Gikwang, completely different from Jieun's reaction. "We are in the past and no one can see us."
 
"Bae Suji, you-" Jieun's words are cut by the scream echoing in the air. The scream is full of pain and it may torn the night sky into two.
 
They can hear steps closer to them and a centaur is standing right in front of them. He holds a spear in his right hand and his eyes are examining the trees. He stomps the ground with his horse feet, looking carefully through the night.
 
Just like what Suji said, he doesn't notice their presence because he says out loud, "Come out. I know you are hiding."
 
"They are forbidden here," an old man appears from the wood trunk. His skin is carved-wooden skin and he has leaves as his hair and beard. "I can't let them destroy everything. I must protect this forest."
 
"I'm not asking you to let them stay, Waldgeist," the centaur scoffs, having his pride high. "One of them is the new President of NASCA and she is a human."
 
"We will hunt them down," a girl with long black hair walks closer to them and Yoseob recognizes her as the Dark Elf. "There is no exception even though she is the new President of NASCA."
 
They turn when the footsteps approach them. Yunho is helping a young man with red hair to walk because his left arm is bleeding; in fact he doesn't have a left arm. Someone just rip his hand off from his body.
 
Yunho looks at the centaur, Waldgeist, and the Dark Elf with a quick glance. He puts down the young man on the ground and calls his name with worried tone, "Taemin! Do you hear me? Taemin!"
 
"Hin...," Taemin murmurs with the left conscious he has, clenching his right fist to fight the pain he is feeling inside. "I must kill her, Yunho... It's an order."
 
Yunho turns to look at the Dark Elf, "I know you can save him. All of you can."
 
"This forest is forbidden for all of you. Why did Mr Song send you here?" the centaur ignores him, looking at Taemin with no expression. "Let alone bringing Ryu Hin's parents along with you."
 
Suddenly someone falls down from the sky. Yoseob and Gikwang look up to see a black dragon flies by after dropping down the girl. They can see Joon is standing on the dragon's back.
 
The girl spins one time in the middle of the air before landing on the ground with heavy breath. She has scratches all over her body but she still grips her rapier firmly.
 
"You...," she turns to Yunho with the sword pointing out to him, "You lied!"
 
It's the first time they see Hin to act like this. She lost her patience and she is showing the dangerous atmosphere that makes her looks that she is ready to kill anyone who tries to mess with her.
 
"Look, we're trapped here, Hin! No one knows who did this to us! Joon offered me to help you or your parents," Yunho tries to explain. He glances at Taemin who is losing his senses slowly. "I chose you, Hin. I love you."
 
"I was close to save my parents from Joon," Hin hisses. She notices the magical creatures around her and she lowers down her sword. "And now I'm the target here."
 
"Ryu Hin," the Dark Elf states calmly, "you have the warning beforehand. This Shadow Forest is forbidden for all students, including you. I know you've just been elected last night but you shouldn't roam around this forest."
 
"We're tricked by someone," Yonghwa appears from the darkness and walks closer to stand in front of Hin. "My loyalty is dedicated to Ryu Hin. I'm not going to let you kill her."
 
The centaur lifts his spear to attack Yonghwa but he stops when Taemin growls. The pain is torturing him and his hair is growing longer while his eyes turn into red.
 
The Dark Elf steps back, knowing that Taemin is dangerous. The Waldgeist returns back to his wood trunk; he needs to protect the forest so he can't die now.
 
"Griffin," the centaur murmurs, feeling angry with all the intruders in the Shadow Forest. "All of you are in trouble."
 
When the eagle wings appear from Taemin's back, Yunho takes Hin's rapier without any warning. He stabs Taemin's chest with the sword, making him to scream with pain.
 
Yunho steps back and looks at Hin with sad eyes, "I don't know why your parents are here. I don't know Joon would threaten me to choose between you and your parents."
 
"But you could save them!" Hin speaks without hesitation. The anger fills her heart because she couldn't save her parents. "Jung Yunho, I can't believe you anymore."
 
"Taemin!"
 
Jieun from the past gasps in surprise when she finds Taemin's dead body. Suji from the past follows her behind and her eyes are locked on Hin, probably because it's her sword which killed Taemin.
 
"I'm going to find who sent us here," Hin states with cold eyes. "I will find who sent Taemin to kill me."
 
The next second, the darkness falls again.
 
When they can see again, they are standing in front of the gate to the maze; they are at the present right now.
 
"Yunho, what did you tell them?" Hin asks Yunho with cold tone. She grips the gate firmly, wanting to open the magic gate. "Yang Yoseob and Lee Gikwang have nothing to do with me."
 
"I didn't tell them anything, Hin. Please believe me," Yunho shakes his head slowly. "When will you start believing me again? Taemin was going to kill you, Hin. I couldn't let him do that. You know it."
 
"You abandoned my parents. You killed Taemin, your own secretary. Don't you dare to tell me that you're doing everything for me," Hin warns him. "I won't let you lay a finger on Yoseob and Gikwang. I'll protect them."
 
Once again, the darkness covers their sight and this time all of them know they are going to see the future.
 
Yoseob and Gikwang are standing in the middle of the academy yard. There is no sign of Jieun and Suji.
 
There is a glass coffin in the middle of the yard and students are standing in lines, looking down at the ground.
 
While they walk closer to the coffin, their minds are working really hard to figure out about what happened in the Shadow Forest.
 
Yoseob gasps in surprise when he sees Hin is laying on the coffin; this is Hin's funeral.
 
The ribbon around his wrist is nowhere to be found. He closes his eyes, trying to gain back the focus so he can leave the future.
 
Gikwang does the same because they must be returned to the present after this phase. They will stand in front of the Norns again.
 
"Who are you?"
 
Both of them open their eyes to find the all wounded Hin and Yonghwa are standing in front of them.
 
They are back to the Shadow Forest but there are only Hin and Yonghwa now. Assuming from Hin's question, they know they are still at the past.
 
Hin points her rapier to Yoseob's neck, "Are you going to kill me too?"
 
##########
 
Glossary #17
Duolo (Ital): Grief