IV: Prima Volta

Nocturne Academy
The bell rings as a sign of second free time period. The students have fifteen minutes for their free time.
 
Yoseob leaves the classroom quickly and rushes to the NASCA secretariat. For his surprise, Gikwang is already waiting outside of the secretariat even though Yoseob is the first one who left the classroom.
 
Yoseob turns around when he hears the sounds of footsteps. Junho and Eunjung are right behind of him, giving him warm smiles as they stop right in front of him.
 
"I guess four of us are going to meet them together," Junho mutters. "I really want to know the detail of the next week showcase."
 
"Me too," Eunjung speaks out with excitement but then she looks down shyly. "I hope we can perform something together."
 
Gikwang smirks and opens the door, not even bothering to knock first. He steps inside the room with the three other students follow him behind.
 
"I don't think I heard knocks," a familiar voice says sarcastically.
 
Four of them immediately stop their steps upon the voice. They look at the figure behind the table and see Hin is sitting quietly, working on papers on her table without even looking at them.
 
"You should have knocked before," Joon puts down more papers on the table. He turns to them and gives them a welcoming smile.
 
"Yang Yoseob. Lee Gikwang. Lee Junho. Ham Eunjung," Yonghwa calls their name. He looks up from the paper and turns to Hin, giving her a slight nod.
 
"Can we help you?" Hin puts down her pen and moves her bangs aside with her finger. Her hazel eyes are examining the four students carefully.
 
"I have a question," Gikwang blurts out without looking at the other three students. "Why can't I read your mind?"
 
"Because you can't use your power when you're inside NASCA secretariat," Joon chuckles as if Gikwang just asked a silly question. "NASCA secretariat is protected by special power, thanks to our headmaster himself due to some considerations. None of us can use our powers here."
 
"Let me guess," Hin rests her chin on her hand as her eyes are locked at Gikwang, "you want to ask us about becoming department representatives and major representatives. I can also guess you want to know the detail about the showcase which will be held next week. And I don't need a power of mind reading to do that."
 
"The answer is simple," Joon moves closer to Hin, checking the documents she is working on. "The students who participate in the showcase will be considered as potential candidates for department reprentatives and major representatives."
 
"Is that so?" Junho frowns. "So we must do a performance on the next week showcase to be considered as a candidate?"
 
"Yes," Jieun straightens her glasses. "We don't have any limitations for the amount of participants because the school activities will be paused for the night of the showcase."
 
"Don't we have to attend an audition?" Yoseob asks with confusion. He usually has to pass on an audition before performing at a showcase.
 
"I think we have warned you beforehand," Yonghwa answers his question cautiously. "We don't have limit for participants."
 
"That's easy," Gikwang says cockily. His eyes are still looking at Hin.
 
"We only have one rule if you want to participate in the showcase," Yonghwa continues the explanation. "If you want to do solo, you will be considered as a candidate for department representative. If you collaborate with someone else, you will be considered as a candidate for major representative."
 
"We will not limit you to choose a partner from the same program, major, or year, so feel free to pick your partner," Joon ends the explanation calmly. "Any question?"
 
"What if I want to do solo but I want to apply as a major representative?" Gikwang asks. He is actually annoyed with the rule since he doesn't want to work with someone else for the showcase.
 
"Then please change your thought of applying as major representative," Hin answers without hesitation. "You will be welcomed as a candidate of department representative."
 
Gikwang clenches his fists. Looks like he doesn't have another choice now.
 
"You must inform the detail of your performance to us at least one day before the showcase. That way we can prepare everything without a mistake," Jieun writes down something on the paper she is holding. "Please do tell us your name and the performance you will do at the showcase when you have your decisions."
 
"Is there another question?" Joon asks politely. "You can find the general information on the posters we have put on the information board."
 
"Are NASCA representatives going to perform as well?" Eunjung finally says something after a while. She is looking at Hin nervously.
 
Hin stays silence for seconds but then she replies, "Yes, we are going to do our own performances at the showcase even though we will be there as judges along with the other teachers to evalute the performances."
 
Yoseob is trying really hard to figure out a name to be his partner for the showcase. He doesn't have a single name in mind since he is new. This is probably the main reason why major representatives usually came from second year and third year students.
 
"Take your time to think," Hin takes her pen again. "It will be your first time to perform as Nocturne Academy students."
 
"I think it will be the best if you go back to your classroom now since the free time period is almost over," Joon tells them. "We will be happy to help you with another question later."
 
"Yang Yoseob, Lee Gikwang," Hin calls their names right when they're going to leave the room. "We need to inform you about something."
 
"Eh?" Yoseob blinks.
 
"Since both of you are the best students in entrance examination, our headmaster has a request for both of you to share a stage with NASCA representatives on the showcase," Hin speaks out after Junho and Eunjung left the room. "But since we treat all of the students equally, you still need to perform another performance if you want to be considered as a candidate for department representative or major representative."
 
"You mean six of us must perform together?" Gikwang repeats the announcement.
 
"Yes," Joon nods. "That's why we will start to practice soon for the upcoming performance. We need both of you to meet us in the third training room after your class. We will tell you the detail later."
 
"That's all," Hin returns to her work. "You may go back to your classroom now."
 
Yoseob bows to the NASCA representatives while Gikwang only gives them cold stares. They leave the room and head to the classroom without a word.
 
Right after Mrs Kim finished her class, both Yoseob and Gikwang leave the classroom without talking to anyone. They go to the third training room like what they've told to.
 
"Ah, you're here," Joon stops his warming up activity. He already changed his uniform into comfortable outfit for dance practice.
 
Jieun, still wearing her uniform set, approaches them and gives each of them a paper, "This is the lyrics of the song we're going to perform. It's written by Miss Yeong and has been modified by Hin yesterday."
 
"Since we consist of six people, we will divide the major part as two parts. We will sing it as a ballad first, until we finish the first refrain. After that we will perform it with dance moves," Joon explains the plot. "We will have the best students from Department of Classic Musical Instruments for the violin, piano, and guitar for the ballad part."
 
"We also have Hin and Joon for the choreography for the dance moves. They have created the dance moves and they will teach us tomorrow night," Yonghwa puts his hands inside the pocket of his training pants. "Tonight we need to learn the song first."
 
"Since Jieun and Yoseob are from Classical Music Major, I will accompany them for the ballad part," Hin crosses her arms. "Joon will do the next part with Yonghwa and Gikwang. We will blend in together right after the second refrain. Any question?"
 
Gikwang just reads through the lyrics. He never worked with others before for a performance and he doesn't like it but it's not like he has a choice. It's a request from the headmaster himself.
 
Yoseob has the smile on his face, showing that he is really excited since it will be his first time doing a performance together with other students. He never thought that he can perform with NASCA representatives, especially Hin, this soon.
 
"No question? Good," Hin straightens her body and walks to the center of the training room. "Let's start the practice."
 
For the next five nights, they practice really hard after classes. They even come to school on Sunday to do their last practice for tommorow's showcase. They will perform first as the opening performance.
 
"I think it's enough," Hin stops the dance practice. She takes a bottle of water and drinks it slowly.
 
"Ah, Jieun," Yoseob steps closer to Jieun. She is wiping away her sweat with a towel.
 
"I will perform Ordinary People tomorrow with Yoon Doojoon from Master's Program, Classical Music Major. He will need a piano for the performance," Yoseob registers his performance to Jieun.
 
"So you know Doojoon?" Joon asks him politely. "He is a professional pianist. It will be really great if you can perform with him."
 
Yoseob only answers his reaction with a smile. Actually Doojoon is the one who volunteered himself to perform together with Yoseob because Doojoon wants to know about Yoseob's skill as the best student based on entrance examination.
 
"Gikwang will do a performance with Hyuna from Talented Artists Education Program, Modern Music Major as well tomorrow," Jieun turns to Gikwang. "Is that right? She registered it to me this morning."
 
"Yes," Gikwang answers it shortly, not even bothering to look at Jieun.
 
Hyuna is the one who asked him to be her partner for the dance performance. Since Gikwang does need a partner so he can apply as major representative, he accepted the offer.
 
They did one last practice before they end the night and take a rest for the showcase.
 
On the day of the showcase, many guests attend the event. The whole school are already waiting for the showcase to begin in the academy auditorium.
 
Ignoring the crowd and riot of the preparation of the showcase, the NASCA representatives, Yoseob, and Gikwang are preparing their costumes at backstage. The guys wear black suits with ties while the girls wear white dress and white collar ribbons.
 
"Five minutes!" Miss Cho warns them; they will go on the stage in five minutes for their first performance together.
 
They leave the room without a word and take their own microphones, preparing theirselves with their own ways quietly.
 
When the lights are off, it's the sign for them.
 
Hin, Yoseob, and Jieun sit on the chairs that have been prepared on the stage while the students from Department of Classic Musical Instruments are ready with their instruments.
 
Yoseob takes a really deep breath when the audiences clap for them, even before the song start.
 
As soon as the guitarist starts to play, they're ready to perform.
 
Yoseob does the ad libs for the opening of the song, right before Jieun's part. The spotlight shines on Jieun when she starts singing.
 
"Meonghani seoseo ni dwitmoseumman bogo isseo
Jigeum neoui mare nan eotteoke haeya hal ji molla"
 
I am standing here just blankly looking at your back
From your words I really don’t know what to do
 
The spotlight is off and another spotlight shines on Hin, who sits between Yoseob and Jieun.
 
"Deo meoreojineun neoreul baraboneun naega
Eoduwojyeo ganeun nae mam
Han sungane nae anui bicheul irheosseo"
 
Watching you moving further away from me
My heart that is getting darker
In an instant I lost the light inside me
 
It's Yoseob's turn now. He is really nervous on the stage but he fights back all of his nervousness and holds the microphone tighter as he sings the refrain part and the spotlight shines on him.
 
"Ireoke neoreul chaja hemaeeo bwado
Ireoke neoreul jakku tteoollyeo bwado
Han beonmanirado neol boryeo haedo nan
Bicheul irheoseo amugeotdo hal suga eobseo"

Even if I try to find you like this
Even if I try to think of you again like this
When I try to look at you just one more time
I can’t do anything because I lost my light
 
He feels good because he did the refrain part well enough. They continue to the last ballad part.
 
"L L L L Lightless
L L L L Lightless
L L L L Lightless"
 
Yoseob ends the ballad part with the high notes.
 
"Lightless"
 
The spotlight is off, leaving the darkness on the stage for seconds. All of a sudden, the rainbow-colored spotlights shine over the stage while Joon, Gikwang, and Yonghwa step on the stage.
 
Hin, Yoseob, and Jieun stand up from the chairs and drag the chairs backwards, giving the three others space to move.
 
The tempo has changed from a ballad song with classic musical instruments into a pop song with dance moves.
 
Joon steps into the center of the stage as he sings his first part.
 
"Meoreojineun neoreul gidarineun naega
Eoduwojyeo beorin naega"
 
I wait for you, who is already far away
It has already gone dark
 
Yonghwa slides carefully into the front line, causing applauses from the girls on the audience seats.
 
"Han sungane nae anui bicheul irheosseo"
 
In an instant I lost the light inside me
 
Each of them takes on their own position as Gikwang sings the refrain part of the dance version.
 
"Ireoke neoreul chaja hemaeeo bwado
Ireoke neoreul jakku tteoollyeo bwado
Han beonmanirado neol boryeo haedo nan
Bicheul irheoseo amugeotdo hal suga eobseo"
 
Even if I try to find you like this
Even if I try to think of you again like this
When I try to look at you just one more time
I can’t do anything because I lost my light
 
Yonghwa steps to the center now while Gikwang steps backwards, giving space to Yonghwa and his raps.
 
"L L L Lightless eoneusae niga 
Sarangeuro bichudeon bicheun fade out
Jomdeo ppalli ibyeoreul 
Nunchichaetdeoramyeon johasseul tende
Keodaran heojeonhameun nal gyesok 
Halkwieo sseurarin sangcheoneun neoreul tteoollyeo
Girl I need your love
Baek beon malhaedo honjatmarin geol"
 
L L L Lightless Before I knew,
the love light that you used
To shine me with is now fade out
If I had realized our farewell earlier
It would have been better
The large emptiness continues to scratch me
The painful scars remind me of you
Girl I need your love
Even if I say this a hundred times, it is just a soliloquy
 
Hin, Yoseob, and Jieun have take their positions for the bridge part. They stand in two lines with Hin, Jieun, and Junghwa at the front line.
 
"Haruga jinago dasi tto haruga Sijakdwaedo
Naege bichi dwaejueotdeon niga 
Eobseo ajik nan eodum soge seo inneunde"
 
If a day passes by And another day Starts
You, who used be my light
Is now gone and I’m still Standing in the dark
 
After Hin hit the high notes, Gikwang sings his refrain part, dancing the dance moves perfectly with the others with Joon sings the next part after him.
 
"Ijeya neoreul jababoryeogo haedo
Amuri naege doraorago haedo
Han beonman dan han beon neol boryeo haedo nan
Bicheul irheoseo amugeotdo bol suga eobseo"
 
If I try to hold on to you now
No matter how many times I tell you to come back to me
When I try to look at you one more time, just one more time
I can’t see anything because I lost my light
 
Yoseob sings the last part with Yonghwa, grabbing the attention of all audiences with their voices and their dances.
 
"L L L L Lightless L L L L Lightless
L L L L Lightless L L L L L L Lightless
L L L L Lightless L L L L Lightless
L L L L Lightless
What should I do baby"
 
As the spotlights go off one by one, they stand still on their stands. While the audiences are clapping with excitement, the stage only leaves a spotlight shines on Yonghwa as he whispers the last line.
 
"I can’t smile
I can’t find
I can’t stop
Lightless"
 
The spotlight disappears. The audiences can only see the dark stage.
 
"The showcase has officially began," Miss Cho's voice is echoing in the academy auditorium.
 
##########
 
Glossary #4
Prima Volta: the first time
Ad-lib (Latin): at liberty. (to improvise a melodic line fitting the general structure prescribed by the passage's written notes or chords)
 
Author's Note #1
Dear readers, if you have difficulties in imagining the song, you can try listening to:

- Lightless (Unplugged Version), a track from Fiction and Fact album, as the ballad part.

 


- Lightless, a track from Lights Go On Again mini album, as the dance part and the rest of the performance.