XIX: Hauptstimme

Nocturne Academy
"Finally!" Gikwang groans and rubs the back of his neck once he can move. They couldn't move ever since they were drown in the dance practice floor because of Mr Song no matter how much they wanted to struggle.
 
Yonghwa loosens his hold on Hin so Hin can examine the situation around. Each of them becomes aware now that they are standing in the middle of mysterious place with stone bricks; even representatives of NASCA don't know where they are.
 
"So Mr Song is the mastermind?" Yoseob is the one who asks something after seconds of silence because Hin, Yonghwa, and Jieun are trying to find out what place it is. "But why?"
 
"I will be happy to answer your question if I know," Hin responds calmly, looking at the moonlight that comes through the window. She steps closer to the window to look outside but there is only green field around the building they are in. "Unfortunately I've been trying to find the answer as well."
 
"There is a staircase," Yonghwa mutters, giving a sign to them to follow him to step on the next floor since there is nothing they can do if they only stay still. "Mr Song elected a year before Hin entered Nocturne Academy. There is a chance that he is the one who worked behind Hin's school administration."
 
"But why-" Yoseob stops when he sees a parchment on the wall. He takes it off and reads four names along with their informations on the parchment.
 
Ryu Hin - Human
The only daughter of a vampire hunter and a famous violinist.
Assigned as President of NASCA because Lee Joon's uncontrollable lust over blood and Mr Song's approval.
 
Lee Joon - Pure Blood Vampire
The first prince of Lee family. His mother died because of Ryu Hin's father.
Currently has Ryu Hin's parents as hostage for having Hin under his control.
Assigned as Vice President of NASCA.
 
Jung Yonghwa - Pure Elf
The only son of Jung Elf Clan and the cousin of Jung Yunho, the previous President of NASCA before Ryu Hin.
His loyalty is given to Ryu Hin since he assigned as the Treasurer of NASCA.
 
Lee Jieun - Mermaid
The seventh daughter in her family.
Ex-fiancee of Lee Taemin, the previous Secretary of NASCA before herself.
 
Gikwang ignores him and takes the other parchment on the wall, the one which is hanging next to the one Yoseob took. There are three persons' information profiles on the parchment.
 
Jung Yunho - Pure Elf
Both his parents worked as teachers in Nocturne Academy before they stopped and concentrated to rule Jung Elf Clan to help Jung Yonghwa's parents.
Assigned to make sure that Ryu Hin will stay in Nocturne Academy.
 
Lee Taemin - Griffin
His family swore for loyalty to Song family.
Died in Jung Yunho's hand in his mission to kill Ryu Hin in the Shadow Forest.
 
Bae Suji - Valkyrie
The one who is in charge to protect Mr Song from Valkyrie race.
Will be the last secret weapon who will be used to kill Ryu Hin if all plans fail.
 
"You are the target," Gikwang hands the parchment to Hin so she can read the fact. "What place is it? What are these parchments doing?"
 
"Welcome," Suji appears at the end of the staircase. She has been waiting for them at the second floor for quite a while. "Mrs Kim wrote the report. Can you see the other parchments? She made complete information profiles of all students in Nocturne Academy."
 
Hin ignores the parchments on the wall and glances at Suji. Suji looks really calm but somehow Hin knows that she is in her mission to kill Hin.
 
"I don't have anything against you, Hin, I really don't," Suji takes a step closer to Hin, walking down the staircase, "but unfortunately Mr Song's order is inevitable for me."
 
Before Yonghwa or Gikwang can even move to protect Hin, Suji has attacked her with the sword. Hin managed to prepare her rapier in time to protect herself from the dangerous attack.
 
Hin steps backwards carefully while Yonghwa takes a stand in front of her, protecting Hin from another attack.
 
"You can't win, Suji," Yonghwa states with monotone, stretching his arm to block Suji's way from Hin. "I'm not going to let you lay a finger on Hin. She is the President of NASCA."
 
"She would never be a President of NASCA if Mr Song didn't want to kill her," Suji scoffs and spins her sword. "I know you must be wondering why Mr Song worked this hard just to kill a human. Let her became a President of NASCA, worked with her for months, acted as if he supported all of you."
 
Hin had a feeling already that Mr Song was only supporting her for an unknown reason. His treatment towards her was really mysterious and she is sure enough that Mr Song tried to interrupt her work from time to time by giving her hard time but she tried to keep a straight mind and worked as if nothing happened.
 
She never imagined that Mr Song is serious about taking her life away.
 
"You know Mr Song likes to torture someone before the Death comes to the person, right?" Suji's eyes land on Yoseob. "What do you feel if someone important for you die in front of you, Hin?"
 
Hin pulls Yoseob away at the same time Suji throws her sword to Yoseob. Her sword stabs his shoulder because Hin is too late to pull him. Yonghwa rushes to Suji's back and knocks her down with a poisonous dart.
 
Suji doesn't pass out immediately even though it's a strong poison. She bends on her knees, holding the wound Yonghwa just made on the back of her neck with a smirk, "I can't wait to know how you will escape this place, Ryu Hin. If you can survive this time, I will stop trying to kill you."
 
She pulls out the dart while her consciousness is decreasing, "Your enemy is not me. I only do all of these because of Mr Song's order. You should be aware of the most unpredictable one, Ryu Hin. You can't believe anyone when your life is in danger."
 
Suji loses her consciousness after those words. Hin checks Yoseob's condition and quickly takes the tear of mermaid in his pocket. After he swallows it, he feels much better while his wound is healing by itself somehow.
 
"I think I know what place it is," Hin helps Yoseob to stand up properly. "This is Mr Song's office tower, the Time Tower. That's why all students' information profiles are around."
 
"We can't stay too long here," Jieun returns to her original form slowly as her skin turns paler. "Time Tower is a dangerous place if we stay too long because we can lost the sense of time. We need to reach the top."
 
When they arrive at the second floor, their way to the third floor is blocked by an Unicorn. The white horse with the horn projecting from its forehead is looking at them with its golden eyes.
 
"We can't walk pass the second floor," Hin holds her breath. "We can't kill the Unicorn and it's not going to let us pass either."
 
Unicorn is a protected magical being and it is forbidden for being harmed. That way it is exactly the perfect creature to protect the office of the headmaster of Nocturne Academy because Unicorn will protect the place where it is raised and this tower is the place where it grew up.
 
The Unicorn stands near the stair, looking at the five students in front of it and none of them dare to move. Even Gikwang knows the consequence of what will happen to him if he dares to harm the Unicorn.
 
"Doesn't Unicorn love music?" Yoseob suddenly blurts out. "It only comes near to a . Maybe it will move if a sings a song. That's all we can try."
 
Hin wants to get out from this tower as soon as possible. She needs to find out the reason why Mr Song wants to kill her and she can't do it if she is trapped in this place. She is willing to take every chance she has for now.
 
Just like what Yoseob said, after Hin sings the refrain of a ballad song, the Unicorn closes its eyes as if it is listening to the song. When Hin almost ends the song, the Unicorn steps closer to Hin, bowing its head so Hin can pat its head.
 
Gikwang takes a step forward to the staircase and the others follow him. Hin lands a quick kiss on the Unicorn's horn as her gratitude before she follows the others to the third floor.
 
"I know you will pass the second floor," Yunho greets them with his hands behind him, tied together. A smile forms on his lips as his eyes lock on Hin. "Welcome to the third floor of Time Tower. Mr Song is waiting for all of you on the top."
 
"Yunho, what's going on?" Yonghwa asks with serious tone. He knows Yunho plays along with Mr Song's plan ever since they worked together as representatives of NASCA. Even Suji and Taemin knew the plan but he knew nothing. "Why does Mr Song want to kill Hin?"
 
"Mr Song is not the only one who wants to kill Hin," Yunho's smile disappears as the sadness is obvious in his eyes. "I'm so sorry, Hin. I do love you but my loyalty as an Elf is for Lee Jieun."
 
All of them are caught off guard because of the sudden statement that no one reacts fast enough to protect Hin.
 
Jieun stabs Hin's back with a short sword, making her to fall forward. Yonghwa catches her before she hits the floor while blood is dripping from the wound.
 
"You have the warning beforehand, Ryu Hin," Jieun whispers coldly as she steps to Yunho's side. "You can't believe anyone when your life is in danger."
 
##########
 
Glossary #19
Hauptstimme (Ger): main voice, chief part