V: Voce

Nocturne Academy
"Thank you for coming," Joon speaks briefly. "we will now start the explanation of the second phase for candidates of department representative and major representive."
 
Last night's showcase was a big success. All new students could see their seniors' performances and the same year students' performances as well.
 
The announcement of the names who passed the first phase of the test has posted on the school board before the class started.
 
There are three candidates for each department while there are only two candidates for each major, making total of 28 candidates for this year.
 
They need to attend the briefing for the second phase test in the academy auditorium with NASCA representatives to explain it to them since this is a part of NASCA's task, not the school's task.
 
"For candidates of department representative, create a group consists of five people. Write your names on the whiteboard here after your group is fix," Joon explains the first step.
 
"But there are twenty four candidates," one of the department candidates raise his hand. "Can a group only consist of four persons?"
 
"No, a group must consist only five persons, no less, no more," Joon smiles. "I don't think I have finished my sentence here. Why did you have start to discuss now?"
 
Even though he has a smile on his face, his tone is dangerous, as if he is telling the students that he is still talking in front of them.
 
"The candidates of major representatives will be divided in two groups, consisting of six persons for each team. Four candidates of department representatives will join the group," Joon examines the whole auditorium. "As for the four persons, NASCA representatives will join in the group."
 
The candidates start to talk with each other, discussing about the sudden announcement. Even for the candidates from second and third year, this is new.
 
It is a new rule made by NASCA representatives; they are going to evaluate the major representatives in person.
 
"As for the members, we will start to divide them now," Joon takes a glance at Hin while she approaches him, stopping her steps once she is standing next to Joon. "Hin and I will be divided in two different groups."
 
"I will take the first candidate in my team and Joon will pick another one. The candidate we choose will choose another candidate and so on," Hin explains the rule. "Just that easy."
 
"I guess we need to start now," Joon chuckles. "Looks like they are impatient now."
 
Gikwang is glaring at Joon. He has enough with working together with Hyuna yesterday and he didn't even have a slightest idea that he must end up in a group for the second phase.
 
"Hin, you're first," Joon steps backward, flashing a warm smile to Hin.
 
Hin closes her eyes, considering her choice for seconds before she mutters a name as her first member for her group.
 
"Yang Yoseob."
 
Yoseob straigthens his body quickly and steps to the stage nervously. He stands behind Hin, rubbing his head nervously because he is not sure that he just called over by Hin, to be the first member to join her group.
 
"My turn now," Joon mutters as his gaze drops drop on the remaining candidates. He examines the three candidates carefully.
 
"Kim Hyuna," Joon speaks a name. Hyuna leaves her stand and steps on the stage, taking a stand right behind Joon. Somehow she looks really proud to stand behind the Vice President of NASCA.
 
"Your turn," Hin murmurs to Yoseob, making him blinks with surprise.
 
"Ah," Yoseob tilts his head, trying to pick someone. He never thought that he must make a decision of picking a candidate for a group.
 
There are two remaining candidates for major representatives, Lee Gikwang and Kim Hyorin from Talented Artists Education Program of Classical Music Major.
 
Yoseob only knows Hyorin as the student with stunning voice. He heard it once during the voice training lesson on their first day and Yoseob is amazed with her voice.
 
As much as he wants Hyorin to be in his group, he knows the group will need someone to win over the Modern Music part. His intuition tells him so.
 
Yoseob clears his throat awkwardly, knowing that his choice will surprise everyone even himself, "Lee Gikwang."
 
Gikwang frowns after he heard Yoseob's voice. He is his rival; both of them know it pretty well and yet Yoseob just chose him to be his partner in the group.
 
Since he can't object to it because it's a rule by NASCA representatives, Gikwang walks in silence, standing behind Yoseob, giving him a cold stare.
 
"Well, well, you leave us with one choice," Joon looks surprised with Yoseob's choice. "It seems fair though."
 
"Kim Hyorin," Hyuna speaks the name clearly and Hyorin smiles, leaving her stand so she can stand behind Hyuna. She flashes a smile to Hin when she walks pass her.
 
"As for the four selected candidates of department representatives, we pick four names with the best score from last night's showcase," Joon tells the students. "Jieun will announce the names."
 
"Ham Eunjung from Department of Opera. Lee Junho from Department of Vocal Music. Nichkhun from Department of Dance Performance. Mir from Department of Art Management," Jieun mentions the names. "You will be picked as a part of the group for the second phase."
 
"Gikwang, please choose a name," Joon tells him politely. "Any name will do."
 
Gikwang doesn't have any interest to pick a name because he doesn't care about working together in a group so he just mentions a name without any consideration, just because the name is the shortest one, "Mir."
 
The student with white uniform set and black ribbon steps up to the stage and stands behind Gikwang silently.
 
"Hyorin, you are free to pick someone now," Joon gives the turn to Hyorin.
 
She has her eyes on Nichkhun already, knowing that he is one of the best students in Department of Dance Performance, "Nichkhun."
 
Nichkhun smiles as he walks to the group, standing behind Hyorin after exchanging smiles with her.
 
"Ah," Joon suddenly snaps his fingers, as if he just remembered something important. "Since Hin is the President of NASCA, I think it will be fair if she is going to be the only NASCA representative in the group."
 
Hin looks at Joon, not saying anything. This is not their former plan but she just looks at Joon, letting him to continue his words.
 
"So I guess I can ask Jieun and Yonghwa to join in my group, don't I?" Joon steps closer to Hin. "Would you mind, Hin?"
 
"Do as you wish," Hin mutters calmly. "I'm going to take both Ham Eunjung and Lee Junho in my group."
 
"That will do," Joon looks really satisfied while Eunjung and Junho walk to the stage, stepping in line behind the others. "Jieun and Yonghwa are in my group then."
 
"Ryu Hin. Yang Yoseob. Lee Gikwang. Mir. Ham Eunjung. Lee Junho," Hin mentions the names of her group.
 
"Lee Joon. Kim Hyuna. Kim Hyorin. Nichkhun. Lee Jieun. Jung Yonghwa," Joon speaks out the name one by one, still having the satisfied smile on his lips.
 
"Now the rest of you can form a group consists of five persons now," Joon says to the other students. "Write down the names on the whiteboard."
 
After around five minutes, each representative from the formed groups write down their members of group on the whiteboard. Soon after that, they bow to the NASCA represantives and leave the academy auditorium.
 
"Now for all of you," Hin turns to the chosen representatives, "the second phase test will start within a week. The test will be held three times."
 
"The first one will be held in two weeks. The second will be held two weeks after the first one. The last one will be held two weeks after the second test," Hin continues. "Each group will perform a song together and the students will vote for the winner. The group who win the vote for two times will be considered as the best candidates as representatives."
 
"If we win two times out of three tests, we have more extra points," Junho states to get clear explanation. "Is that so?"
 
"Yes," Hin says calmly. "For the first test, we will perform the same song, picked by the headmaster himself. We can modify the song by ourselves, giving our own variations with the instruments, or create the dance moves. It's all up to us."
 
"But please do understand, powers are not allowed on the stage when we are in the middle of the test," Hin tells them with caution. "We have warned you beforehand."
 
"Once a student breaks the rule, you will never be considered as a candidate anymore. You can't apply as a candidate anymore," Joon completes the explanation. "Remember that we have warned you beforehand."
 
"I can't wait to hear your beautiful voice once again in the next two weeks," Joon stares at Hin with a smile playing on his lips. "This will be really interesting."
 
Hin doesn't reply to his words, instead she looks at her own group members, trying to study their expressions carefully.
 
"We will start our practice tomorrow night. I will give you the music sheet later," Hin mutters with extremely calm attitude.
 
"Don't you find it really interesting?" Junho blurts out. "One group consists of a student from Special Dual Degree Program, three students from Classical Music Major, and two students from Modern Music Major. While the other group consists of a student from Special Dual Degree Program, three students from Modern Music Major, and two students from Classical Music Major."
 
"That doesn't affect anything," Hin states clearly. "All students are treated equally, despite their programs and majors."
 
"I know," Junho chuckles. "But it will be really interesting to listen to our voices as one in the next two weeks."
 
"I'm waiting for it," Hyorin speaks up. "Let's do our best then."
 
"Ah, what a spirit," Joon smiles and looks at his group members. "A group is a group, isn't that right, Hin?"
 
"NASCA representatives will be treated equally in the group," Hin tells the others, as if she didn't hear Joon. "That is clear and enough."
 
She leaves the stage.
 
"Good night."

##########
 
Glossary #5
Voce: Voice