I: Prelude

Nocturne Academy
"Welcome to Nocturne Academy," a voice can be heard from the speaker. "Thank you for attending the entrance examination."
 
People start to gather together in the center of the yard. They've been waiting for more than fifteen minutes that gave them all nervous tension.
 
They are people who have submitted forms to be students of Nocturne Academy. This year Nocturne Academy has received more than a thousand student applicants. Almost half of them are last year applicants; they still don't believe that they can't pass the admission test.
 
"First test," the voice says, "begin now."
 
Within less than five minutes, more than five hundreds persons run away, trying to open the main gate of the academy, screaming as if they've just seen ghosts.
 
"Second test with 413 student applicants will start in one minute," the voice speaks calmly. "Please prepare yourselves."
 
The remaining applicants wait for the second test in silence. None of them dare to speak a word.
 
After a minute passed, they can hear a ringing bell as sign that the second test has started.
 
This time more than three hundreds persons are acting really strange, as if they are facing things that other people can't see. After a few minutes, they pass out in sequence.
 
"Third test with 99 student applicants will be held inside the academy. Please take your belongings and step inside carefully to the academy hall," the voice disappears right after the announcement.
 
The 99 remaining student applicants step inside the building, walking in rhythm until they find the academy hall.
 
"Interview will be started in a minute," the same voice echoes in the academy hall even though there is no speaker. "Please wait patiently for your turn."
 
One by one applicant is called over to the second floor for the interview. Some of them bring musical instruments like violin, guitar, and even harmonica. The others do some dance moves while they are waiting for their turns.
 
"Number 501, Yang Yoseob," a man with black hair immediately stands up when he hears his name from the speaker.
 
Some of them who are still waiting suddenly look up at him, examining him from head to toe.
 
Yoseob ignores their eyes and steps the stairs, walks directly to the interview room. He pushes open the black door that separates him and the interviewers.
 
He closes his eyes when a really bright light hits his eyes. He can hear sound of people talking around him; maybe there are more than five people in the room.
 
"Welcome, Yang Yoseob," a woman's voice greets him.
 
Yoseob opens his eyes slowly and finds himself is standing in the center of a music room. There are four men with suits and three women in dresses sitting behind the table.
 
Yoseob's eyes stop when he sees the eighth interviewer, sitting in the middle of the others interviewer.
 
She has hazel eyes and black long hair. She doesn't wear a dress like the other women. She wears an uniform of Nocturne Academy: black blazer, white shirt, maroon ribbon, and black mini skirt. There is also a silver badge put on the blazer. The uniform is completed with a pair of dark colored boots.

She is reading a paper in her hand, not even take a glance at Yoseob for a second. Her face shows her cold and serious attitude. Yoseob is sure that she is the youngest interviewer compared to the others.
 
"Now let's start the interview," one of the men who wears black suit flips over a page of papers in his hand. "Yang Yoseob, 22 years old, Talented Artists Education Program, Classical Music Major."
 
"Yes," Yoseob nods nervously. This is the first time he is going through an interview.
 
"Tell me," a woman, which Yoseob notices as the one who greeted him earlier, speaks, "What did you hear in the first test?"
 
"Piano Sonata No. 14 in C# minor "Quasi una fantasia", Op. 27, No. 2, by Ludwig van Beethoven," Yoseob answers completely. "Moonlight Sonata."
 
"Perfect," the woman smiles. She makes a check mark on her score sheet.
 
"Then the second test," a man in white suit looks at him, "what did you see?"
 
"Utopia," Yoseob answers. "There was a rainbow. I could see beautiful women and little kids. They were playing happily with gold and silver coins."
 
"And then?" the man asks again, ready to make a mark on the score sheet.
 
"They asked me to join with them but I said that I had things to do. I closed my eyes and sang Mom, originally by Ra.D, and the next moment I opened my eyes, they disappeared," Yoseob explains briefly.
 
"Music is your savior, eh?" a woman who wears a short dress her bottom lip seductively. "You're delicious."
 
Yoseob shivers. He turns and looks at the girl who is sitting quietly, looking at Yoseob without a smile.
 
"You're something," an older woman in gray dress mutters. "You better take care of yourself in this academy."
 
"We warned you beforehand," the man with glasses hisses. "Be an obedient human."
 
All of the interviewers turn to the girl with hazel eyes, waiting for her decision whether this man here pass the test or not.
 
"Yang Yoseob, Classical Music Major," the girl looks up from her score sheet and has her eyes on Yoseob, "welcome to Nocturne Academy."
 
Yoseob grins immediately after he heard the result. He bows to the interviewers, giving them his sincere gratitudes and leaves the room with the only door he finds. Strange enough, he doesn't need to walk the stairs that pass the academy hall; that is the reason why Yoseob didn't see the other applicants back to the academy hall.
 
He exits in the academy yard. No one is there, as if there is no one existed before.
 
Yoseob turns around to look at the building and mutters to himself, "This is going to be fun."
 
Back to the academy hall, the interview is keep going on. There are only five persons left now.
 
"Number 303, Lee Gikwang," the same person calls out the number and name.
 
A man with black shirt smirks. He stands up and leaves the academy hall, walking to find the interview room.
 
He opens the door and closes his eyes slightly when a light shines over him.
 
He opens his eyes while his hands are in the pockets. He is standing in a dark dungeon chamber. There are eight interviewers sitting behind stone tables, examining him carefully.
 
A woman, which Gikwang notices as the one who has the same voice with the one from speaker, clears awkwardly, "Lee Gikwang, 22 years old, Talented Artists Education Program, Modern Music Major."
 
"It's me," Gikwang smiles with confidence.
 
His eyes lock on the girl with the hazel eyes. Her face shows no expression at all. Gikwang doesn't take his eyes off of the girl even when one of the interviewers start the interview.
 
"What did you hear in the first test?" he asks, completely feeling uncomfortable because Gikwang doesn't look at him.
 
"Circus, originally by Britney Spears," Gikwang is still looking at the girl. "But it's actually Veela."
 
"So you noticed," the older woman murmurs.
 
"Veela, who have power over storms, which they delight in sending down on lonely travelers," Gikwang speaks calmly. "Nocturne Academy is indeed amazing with modifying their skills to test our inner abilities for both music and supranatural skills."
 
"Wonderful," the woman in short dress looks really satisfied. "Tell me about your second test, sweetheart."
 
"I saw people tied to the wall by chains. They were waiting for the Death to come for them," Gikwang still doesn't let his eyes off from the girl. "They were so tempting."
 
"Their blood were tempting, right?" the woman smirks. "Why didn't you take a taste of them?"
 
"Because I knew it's Dark Elves' illusion. They show us our greatest desire," Gikwang finally looks away from the girl. "I danced while singing to Under My Skin, a song by TVXQ and they faded away."
 
"Perfect score!" the woman makes a check mark on her score sheet, giving a wink to Gikwang which Gikwang ignores.
 
"We're not going to treat you differently," the oldest man speaks. "All students are treated the same in Nocturne Academy."
 
"Does that mean I passed?" Gikwang asks without pressing his arrogance.
 
The other seven interviewers look at the girl with hazel eyes, once again, waiting for her final decision.
 
"Lee Gikwang, Modern Music Major, welcome to Nocturne Academy," the girl looks at Gikwang in the eyes.
 
Gikwang smirks as if he already knew he would pass the test. Instead of saying his gratitudes, Gikwang walks closer to the stone table and stops when he almost reaches the stone table.
 
"You're free to leave," one of the interviewers says with annoyed tone.
 
"Do you have any question?" the woman in short dress plays with her hair. "I will answer your question."
 
"Yes, I have one," Gikwang looks at the hazel-eyed girl with a smile on his lips. "I want to know your name, lady."
 
All of them gasps at his blunt question.
 
"Stop," a man in white suit stops his acquaintance, the one who is wearing black suit and white tie, which is already stood up from his seat. "Let him be."
 
Gikwang looks at the man in black suit and sniffs, "Slender Man. You look handsome with that face, knowing that you should be faceless."
 
"Ryu Hin."
 
Gikwang looks back at the girl. She just told her name to Gikwang.
 
"Hin," Gikwang mutters. "What a beautiful name."
 
"Stay still," Hin demands coldly.

She is not talking to Gikwang; she is talking to the man in black suit, who is currently faceless now due to his anger towards Gikwang.
 
"Behave," the old woman says in dangerous tone. "We don't care even if you're a vampire."
 
"I was only asking her name," Gikwang shrugs with playful smile.
 
"Once again I will consider it as a direspecful behavior," the old woman fakes a cough. "You are talking to the President of Nocturne Academy Student Council Association here."
 
"I know," Gikwang holds his laughter. "I'm leaving anyway."
 
Within a second, he disappears from their sight.

#########

Glossary #1
Prelude: a musical introduction to subsequent movements during the Baroque era (1600's/17th century). It can also be a movement in its own right, which was more common in the Romantic era (mid 1700's/18th century)