One Step To Happiness

Eternal Heartbeat

A few years later… 

Luhan passing back and forth nervously while running his hand through his already messy hair once in a while. Wearing all white from top to bottom, he look amazingly stunning but it cannot hide the nervousness plastered on his face. His mind gone blank, not even hearing anything from the overly chatty Sehun for today or a little argument between Baekhyun and Chen about whether a normal tie or a simple bowtie would look better on him. Today supposedly to be the happiest day of his life but Luhan cannot help but feeling nervous about it. Today is the end of one part of his life as it will became the new beginning of his life, together with someone else. Today is his wedding day.

“Are you regretting your decision to get married now?” Xiumin asked playfully while tapping the anxious man back lightly. He rest his hand on his best friend shoulder, smiling as he saw the other man pale face. He then decided himself that this is not exactly the best time to joke around with the already nervous groom-to-be.

“Just relax. You’ll be fine.” Xiumin reassured with a genuine smile. Luhan smile lightly with his friend comfort. It somehow manage to take away a bit of his anxiety for the moment.

“Where is Kris?” Luhan spoke after a long time while looking around them, finally realizing that the man wasn’t around with them for a while now.

“Kris Hyung is outside somewhere talking to a girl he met in front of the stairs before. That hyung is crazy for a date nowadays.” Tao answered bluntly meanwhile keeping his eyes fix toward the phone screen on his left hand. He had been doing that for a while now. Luhan nod on his mind, agreeing with the younger statement. It’s been quite a few months he notice that Kris has been going around on a blind date. After Kris and Bomi broke up a few year before, Kris never had any other stable relationship. The longest he dated a girl was about 5 months. It was never because he can forget about Bomi, in fact, both of them had become a good friends up until today. Luhan just assume that Kris never had any luck with any girl for a long lasting relationship.

Yoon Bomi. Luhan never ever meet with the girl for a few years now. According to the news he heard from Kris, Bomi moved to Paju after her family faces with financial problem but luckily, they had passed those days. They were doing fine now as her father even be able to open a restaurant there with Bomi helping him. Luhan smile to himself. He always taught that Kris and Bomi would end up together but he remind himself once again, no one would know about their own future. But that is the fun part about the future. We can only plan but we would never know the result until it’s time. Just like himself. Who know he’ll end up today, in this room waiting for his time to get married to someone he dearly love?

“I thought you would rush to marriage after Seohyun back from England last year but you didn’t.” Kai stated out of blue, attracting all of the men inside the room to fix their gaze toward one specific person, waiting patiently for him to answer the statement.

Luhan remain silence for a moment, leaving the other guys to continue wondering. His lips then curved upward, almost invisible as his mind remembering something.

++*****+++*******++

A year ago…

Luhan wait patiently outside the arrival door while once awhile looking at his watch on his left wrist. Meanwhile, his right hand dedicatedly holding a bouquet of flowers he bought on his way to the airport before. It’s has been 10 minutes after the supposed arrival time, but even the situation cannot stop his overwhelmed good mood for today. His lips cannot stop smiling as his mind keep playing some thought, trying to decide which is the best way for him continue with his plan. It’s been a few months now that he plan something big that will change his life forever and today is the most important day for it. The D-day, he thought.

“Luhan oppa!” Luhan thought distracted when he heard a familiar voice calling his name. He look up in front of him. There, a few meter away from him standing a long hair girl wearing a knee length blue dress, looking as beautiful as ever. Luhan smile toward the girl, finally making steps toward her.

“How have you been, Seohyun?” Luhan asked happily as his handed the girl the flower he bought before. Seohyun receive the bouquet happily before placing the flowers near her nose, smelling the sweetness of the fresh flowers.

“Do you wait long for me?” Seohun asked as they were already moving together toward the exit door.

“It’s nothing. I’ve wait something longer than this.” Luhan replied purposely trying to increase the curiosity of the girl. Seohyun eyed the man suspiciously but decided to remain silence. There is something the man is hiding from her.

“Are you hungry? Shall we go to eat something? Luhan questioned hurriedly, sensing the curiosity of the girl with his statement before. Not waiting for the girl answer, Luhan lead Seohyun toward his car and without no time wasted, the car moving leaving the airport behind.

The drive to the restaurant become awkward as both of them decided to remain silence almost the entire time. Only a few ask and answer conversation trying to catch up with each other current life but the rest, they just decide to keep silence. Upon arriving at the restaurant, both of them decided to sit at one table located only a few meters away from the main door. There were only a few couple of people inside the café beside them probably due the fact that the rain is actually starting to pour out outside.

As soon as the waiter leaving their table after taking the order, Seohyun fix her gaze toward the man sitting in front of him, waiting for him to spill everything. Luhan however decided to ignore the girl gaze, taking a sip of water from his glass and looking everywhere else beside the girl face.

“Stop making me nervous, oppa! What is it?” Seohyun exploded in irritation finally after getting no response from the man.

Luhan left out a small chuckles, finding the girl reaction a bit cute. It’s been quite a while after their last encounter as Seohyun was away to Canada for a few months. It’s has been a routine for Seohyun to go back and forth between Korean and Canada after she finish her studies there a few years ago. Luhan once ask the girl the reason why she keep going back to Canada but Seohyun always simply answer that she like there better than Korea while laughing. Luhan doesn’t know whether it is the real reason or she just simply trying to stop him from asking her. At the end, Luhan never ask the girl the question anymore.

“Luhan oppa!” Seohyun called out once again.

“Do you remember the night of our engagement a few years ago?” Luhan started carefully, waiting for the girl reaction as she recalled that night in her head.

 

3 years before…

“I need to talk to you about something.” Seohyun announced. Her voice sound calm but serious at the same time. Luhan froze on his spot. The phone on his hand already stops ringing for a moment. His heart beat faster every minute he wait for the girl to start talking again.

Seohyun took a step closer to him. Her hands then find its way toward chest, feeling his heartbeat on her palm. Luhan were taken aback with the girl sudden action but decided to just follow the girl action.

“It’s strange.” Seohyun started but stopped again middle way. Her eyes meet with the boy. There was a trace of sadness on her eyes.

“I can feel your heartbeat, but I also know that it wasn’t beat for me.” Luhan froze. The girl simple statement makes it hard for him to breath. Is it because she had known him for too long that she can easily read his feeling like an open book? Or is it he had shown too much to her she can read his feeling without even trying to.

“Seohyun-ah.” Luhan called out weakly. There was nothing else that can come out from his mouth. His lips feel dry.

“I really envy her, to have someone to love her whole heartily like you did.” Seohyun continued. A tear finally fall down on her fair cheeks. Her breathing become unstable as she felt a sharp object was currently stabbing her heart. She is in pain.

Luhan try to open his mouth to defense himself although he knows it himself that it was useless from the start. He was the bad guy in the story. He uses Seohyun to make him forget about Chorong but he fail big time. Chorong never leave his mind and in the end, the one who is hurting is Seohyun. He never thinks about what would become of her when she realizes that she is nothing but a replacement of someone else on his life. If it was him, he will never like it either.

“I’m sorry for hurting you.” That was the only words that come out from his mouth. He got neither excuse nor any other word to describe how sorry he felt toward her.

“Seeing you like this, I finally realize something.” Seohyun spoke.

“The feeling I felt about you, it was never love.” She stated. Luhan froze in confusion toward the girl sudden confession.

“I always thought that you’re mine, so when another girl comes into your life I felt threatens. I felt like someone else is taking what is belong to me. But, I do know now. You’re not a thing for anyone else to take it away from me. You’re not mine to begin with either.” Seohyun explained with so much hardship. She needs to take a few breaths here and there throughout the sentence she spoke before.

“What I always feel about you, it just a feeling a sister have for her own brother. Nothing more and nothing less. I’m just felt a little jealous because I’m used to the fact that I’m the only girl in your life before she shown up. I felt like she had taking all the time you were supposed to be with me. It makes me angry.” Seohyun continued.

“So, it hurt me too when I see you hurting like this. I know Chorong is the only girl you love and will always be. Same goes to her. You’ll always be the one she love her whole heart.” Seohyun uttered. This time, a trace of smile can be seen on her face. She glad she finally had the courage to utter those words toward him in brave.

“But… this engagement….” Luhan loss for a word. Is he dreaming right now? Or is he already dead? This moment feel more like a dream rather a reality.

“This engagement.. is nothing but a cover.” Seohyun declared.

“I know your parents were angry with you for hurting me because I’m the one who told them about it. I talk bad about Chorong to them so they will hate her. I thought that by using your parents I could get you back like the way it before but I was wrong. I’m selfish for not thinking about your feeling. I’m sorry.” Seohyun apologized sincerely. She knows she is at fault before and she is ready to correct her own mistake.

“That is why I agreed to this engagement. I want to use this time to correct my own mistake. After this engagement, your parents will head back to China. So, I give you all the time you need to make her yours again. You have to get her back no matter what it takes.”

“What about you?” Luhan finally questioned.

“I already had plan for myself. I’m planning to continue my study overseas. It’ll take 3-4 years of my time so, I expect you’d already success to win her heart back by then. That is when I’ll tell our parents to cancel our wedding, but, under one condition.” She stated seriously.

“What is it?”

“I need to be there on your wedding day. Okay?” She threatens playfully with a smile.

“Okay.” Luhan replied shortly, pulling the girl onto his embrace. He cannot describe his feeling right now with a word. The moment he had thought that his life was over, an angel comes to save him. Giving him light to his almost darken world. Seo Juhyun really is an angel. He thanks silently.

++*****+++*******++

 

 

 

 

pls : With my deepest and greatest apologies, I bow down to all readers for taking this long to update this story. I did not abandon this story, honestly. I just need a break from everything that happen with my life.. I’m sorry if I get too personal but I just thought that you all deserve an explanation about my long hiatus. The truth is, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder. I try putting a smile in front of people but deep down, I’m broken. I don’t have anyone to turn to, not even my family as I thought that I would burden them even more. So, I just keeping my silence for myself, trying to find a piece of light on my darken life. I’m sorry. But, this is not about me anymore. You guys deserve to know the end for Luhan-Chorong story. So, here I am. I finish this story a long time ago but I just didn’t have the motivation to upload the story. Bear with me one last time. I will update one last chapter this weekend for the end of their story. For now, enjoy the spoiler. Thank you.. J