Fateful Encounter

[That] One Summer [We Both Shared]

CHAPTER 09

F a t e f u l   E n c o u n t e r

 

 

ChanYeol feels a bit guilty for having to think of KyungSoo when he knows well that BaekHyun is mad at him. He’s been the only friend he’s had so far. He plans to make it up for him today.

 

Ring. Ring. Ring.

 

“Yo-yoboseyo?”

 

“Baek? Uhm, hi this is ChanYeol.”

 

“Hmmn.”

 

“Yeah, I wanted to know if you’re free today ‘coz, uhm. I kinda made plans for us. Nothing big really.”

 

“And?”

 

ChanYeol swears that he just wants to end the call because BaekHyun was giving him a hard time. But he presses on.

 

“And, I would love for you to come with me.”

 

“I dunno, I’m in the middle of some-“

 

“I won’t take no for an answer Baekkieyah.”

 

Silence.

 

“Sure. Whatever. Where will we meet?” BaekHyun’s tone is flat. Disinterested even. But that doesn’t stop ChanYeol.

 

“Let’s meet at the café.”

 

“Be there in 30 minutes.”

 

Click.

 

The tall flustered boy stares at his phone and hopes against hope that everything will turn out fine today.

 

“Aja!”

 

--

 

Ring. Ring. Ri-

 

“KyungSooyah! W-what’s up? What happened, where are you?”

 

“Uh, yes. Hello too JongIn.”

 

”Uhm, sorry. Yeah, I meant hello.”

 

Awkward silence.

 

“Are you free today?”

 

JongIn’s ears couldn’t believe what it is hearing.

 

“Yes! Yes I am! Where are we going?”

 

“Just meet me at the café by the corner of the main street near my place.”

 

“Sure! I’m practically there!”

 

“Hehe, okay. See you then.”

 

Click.

 

JongIn can’t help but beam at his reflection on the mirror. He heard KyungSoo laugh a bit so he knows that maybe he’s not mad at him anymore. He’s spared from exerting too much effort into having the younger boy trust him again, not that he minds doing it.

 

“JongIn you punk, don’t screw this one up.” He smiles as he begins to twirl inside his room. He’s never felt so happy. Come to think of it, KyungSoo is one of the few people who make him feel so alive. Apart from his girl bestfriend, Minzy, whom he shares the passion of dancing. Nothing can be more perfect than this day, he mumbles to himself.

 

--

 

ChanYeol lazily stirs his cup of coffee while waiting for his blonde friend. He couldn’t help but think of the reaction that KyungSoo must have when he saw the Pororo penguin that he left on their gate last night. It was, after all, his favourite.

 

He wanted to be the one to personally give it to him, but why hasn’t he? He’s known that KyungSoo is still there in their old house and very much tangible to him. So why the delay?

 

“Everything in due time.”

 

He stirs around to find the source of the voice, although he clearly knows who it is from.

 

“Baekkie! You came!”

 

“Of course I did, did you think I was gonna stand you up?” ChanYeol lightly chuckles as he motions BaekHyun to take a seat.

 

“No need. If we’re going somewhere then let’s.” BaekHyun says commandingly. He wants to come off as someone who’s still pissed off, but the smile that was forming on his lips betrays him. And how, ChanYeol was pouting at him. How could he resist the lost puppy look of the boy in front of him. He finally surrenders and tugs ChanYeol by his arms and drags him outside.

 

“Just so you know, I haven’t yet forgiven you for yesterday.”

 

“I know, that’s why we’re going to a movie. You were always complaining how we never go out and how we would just watch movie at home.”

 

Baekhyun smiles a sincere one. How can anyone be angry with a guy as handsome, caring and thoughtful as the boy beside him?

 

“What was that all about, by the way?” The taller inquires.

 

“Huh? What was what?”

 

“What you said earlier. ‘Everything in due time.’”

 

“Ahh, that. I just remembered KyungSoo. The spot you picked to sit in earlier was our favourite spot in the café. It idly reminded me of him…”

 

“And?” ChanYeol urges.

 

“And, everything in due time. I know we’ll eventually talk. In the meantime, I know a place where you can spend your guilt money on me.” BaekHyun starts to giggle as he glances at ChanYeol. The other boy returns it with a smile.

 

Everything in due time, huh? ChanYeol nods as he let, for the nth time, BaekHyun drag him.

 

--

 

JongIn enters the café not 2 minutes after ChanYeol and BaekHyun left. Fate seems to be playing with them. He scans the small bulletin board on the wall adorned by pictures of guests. One particular polaroid catches his attention. He recognizes KyungSoo, but he’s beside someone he hasn’t seen before. The caption reads: Kyung & Baek, bestfriends forever!

 

“Have you been waiting long?”

 

JongIn almost jumps at the sudden intrusion of his thoughts. KyungSoo gives him a supressed laugh as he tries to see what the elder boy was so fascinated with. His smile quickly disappears as he looks at what JongIn was pointing at.

 

“Who’s Baek?”

 

“JongIn, can we not? Please. Just for today. I want today to be perfect.”

 

He decides not to push. Ultimately, he didn’t want KyungSoo to storm off once again. Being with him makes his day a lot better and blissful.

 

“So, what is it that you wanted to meet me here for?” JongIn queries, albeit a little nervously.

 

“I just wanted you to know that I forgive you for what you’ve gotten me into yesterday. And I know that you were sorry, and I thank you for that,” KyungSoo stops. He didn’t want to bring up the Pororo gift he received because he wants to reserve some pride for himself, “gesture you did for me.”

 

JongIn thinks for a second and tries his best to understand what the other boy was saying. He must’ve meant me looking for him inside the horror house, even after he was the one who really ran away.

 

“Think nothing of it Kyung. Anything for my little cute wifey.” Normally, this is the part where KyungSoo squirms and hits JongIn in the arms. But this time it’s different. He merely chuckles and blushes as he tries to look away from him. Boy that must’ve been some kind of awakening. Either that or KyungSoo’s taking drugs, he thought to himself. After all, he’s never been like this around him. Ever.

 

“I know a place where they serve the best steak around. I could really use one right now.” KyungSoo gleefully chirps. There’s a faint tint of pink across his flawless cheeks. His lips curls into the heart shape that he was born with. He never smiled like this at JongIn so this was his first time seeing it.

 

“You have beautiful lips.” He seems to be mesmerized. The faint tint on KyungSoo’s face was now growing wilder as the taller guy continues to stare at his lips. JongIn shifts forward still with a blank expression on his face. KyungSoo remains rooted as he watches in panic how their lips seem to grow closer and closer.

 

Bi-bimp. Goes KyungSoo’s heart. Bi-bimp.

 

Just then, a loud noise splinters their moment as the door of the café swung carelessly open. A tall male scurries inside and grabs what seems to be a hat that he must've left earlier on the table. JongIn swears that he could’ve killed that guy right there and then.

 

KyungSoo wasn’t privy to this as he was facing JongIn and he had his back facing the entrance. All he can see right now is the frustration that coats the darker boys face. But he still couldn’t move any.

 

Just as the tall guy was about to leave, he spots JongIn and KyungSoo in their awkward position. He almost did not take notice of it, only that, he seems to recognize the smaller guy that had his back facing him.

 

The taller intruder quietly exits as JongIn starts throwing silent curses at him in his mind.

 

“So, he is JongIn.” ChanYeol bitterly mutters as he joins BaekHyun who was waiting for him outside the café.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**********************************************

I'm sorry for this update, I'm not entirely happy with it.

But at least I finally found a way to let JongIn and ChanYeol's characters meet.

Well not formally though, but still.

 

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to update during the weekday as work is going to eat me alive I reckon.

Cross your fingers that I get enough energy to complete at least one chapter before the weekend starts.

 

Again I love you my readers and subscribers.

Keep those comments coming!