An Unlikely Reunion

[That] One Summer [We Both Shared]

CHAPTER 03

A n   U n l i k e l y   R e u n i o n

 

 

Two weeks trickle by like the water gushing through KyungSoo’s hands as he washes it under the Villa’s outside faucet.

 

“Finally, some real vacation time,” he misses BaekHyun already and starts to plan activities for themselves for when he returns. It’s not that he didn’t enjoy spending time with his family, but this wasn’t something to spazz about.

 

“All ready son?”

 

“Yep!”

 

“Then let’s go.”

 

KyungSoo cheerfully hugs the rilakkuma stuffed toy on his lap. He remembers BaekHyun effusing eloquently how this Japanese character helped him relax every time he feels stressed. He’s sure that his bestfriend will definitely love this souvenir.

 

--

 

BaekHyun surveys himself in front of the mirror. He arranges the strands of hair he had on his forehead making sure that he is neat and presentable. He’s been spending the last two weeks with the new guy and, as much as he denies himself the truth, he is enjoying his company.

 

“BaekHyun~ah!” He jolts in front of the mirror from the sudden calling out of his name. He peers through his window and sees the tall handsome friend he met by accident. He smiles genially and mouthed wait for me before dashing down the stairs.

 

It was a lovely day for a stroll in the park and he’s been meaning to bring ChanYeol there to fly a kite. He always wanted to fly one but KyungSoo’s disinterest in it kept BaekHyun from asking his bestfriend to indulge him. It’s terribly coincidental that his new friend fancies kite-flying, just one of the few things he’s discovered they had in common.

 

“Beautiful day to fly a kite, neh?” BaekHyun hands the tall guy his kite as they both prepare to fly it.

 

“You said it. I haven’t had a chance to fly one of these babies in a long time.”

 

The park isn’t that full safe from some families who were picnicking along the side. The wind gently blows against the trees as two colourful objects danced in the sky. One belonging to a lanky young man who’s busy staring at his kite. And the other to a smaller one, who seems to have grown a liking for his companion.

 

“I’ve almost forgotten how fun it was to do this. Thanks BaekHyun for bringing me here!” ChanYeol exclaims. They’re finished with today’s activities and are now sitting on the grass sheltered under the shade of a tree.

 

“How many times must I tell you to call me Baek?” Faux irritation in his voice. He smiles instantly as he took out their lunch from the backpack he brought along. “My mum said that he made us a treat. I hope its kimchi spaghetti.”

 

ChanYeol’s eyes widens as the indulgent boy in front of him opens one of the lunch boxes revealing a red mishmash of pasta and vegetables. “Ommo! My favourite!” He quickly grabs the kimchi spaghetti and dips his chopsticks not even waiting for BaekHyun to place it down.

 

“Yah! That’s for both of us!”

 

ChanYeol just smiles at him, his mouth full of pasta and red paste as he continues to gobble it down. BeakHyun feels his stomach turn. It’s nothing unpleasant, if anything, it feels nice. He’s never felt more comfortable and at ease with anyone the way he’s feeling right now with ChanYeol. Dare he say, he’s infatuated?

 

“Baekkieyah~ why aren’t you eating?” ChanYeol shoves the kimchi spaghetti in front of him. He just smiles and nods. He signals for ChanYeol to finish it all up while he reaches for a tuna sandwich instead. Today’s a perfect day for him. What could ever go wrong?

 

--

 

KyungSoo fidgets as he looks at his watch. It’s almost 6 in the evening and BaekHyun was nowhere in sight. He thumbs through his phone and sees no new messages. No missed calls. Nothing. He’s been waiting for 3 hours now. He texted his friend around 3 in the afternoon to come meet him in the coffee shop they always hang out in. He never got a reply but shrugged it off triflingly.

 

He impatiently dials his number but all he ever gets are 7 rings and a voicemail. He decides to just give up and woefully go back home. Earlier when they arrive from Busan, he squeakily excused himself from home and said that he’s meeting BaekHyun. He now wonders what happened to him.

 

“Maybe he’s sick or something. I should go check on him.” KyungSoo gripped the stuff toy in his arms and hastily makes his way through familiar streets. He missed his bestfriend a lot and seeing him now will really brighten his day.

 

He stops in front of BaekHyun’s house. He pants gently and rests his hands on his knees. He stands up again and was about to knock on the door when he hears a familiar laugh.

 

--

 

BaekHyun can’t remember the last time he’s laughed so hard. ChanYeol seems to know how to tickle his fancy in more ways than one. They were both walking, ChanYeol holding on to BaekHyun’s back pack while the other holds onto the two kites.

 

The taller guy offered to walk Baekhyun home since he did most of the planning and execution of today’s activities. It’s the least that he can do.

 

They were nearing his house when BaekHyun stops laughing and freezes almost instantly. His face looks as if it has seen a ghost. ChanYeol studies him and slowly looks to where BaekHyun was staring at.

 

In front of BaekHyun’s house stood a pale boy, eyes almost bulging out of its socket. His lips were pursed and if it were possible, plush and ripe than he’s seen strawberries ever were. He was holding on to, what seems like, a plush bear with a green hoodie. He had raven-dark hair and had the most distinctively endearing aura. Only that his expression betrays his looks. From surprise, KyungSoo’s face contorts to anger.

 

“Kyungie—you’re back…”

 

KyungSoo darts instantaneously to where BaekHyun stands rooted. He’s rarely seen this expression from his bestfriend and he knows that he’s not going to like what will ensue.

 

“I have been trying to get a hold of you for hours! Or have you forgotten that your bestfriend was to return from Busan today?”

 

“I’m sorry Kyungie—I-I got preoccupied with stuff. I didn’t mean to forget.”

 

“Preoccupied with what?” That’s when KyungSoo realizes that someone else was standing there, mouth ajar. KyungSoo eyes squints as his brows knots in a fury.

 

ChanYeol couldn’t believe what was happening. He thinks that his eyes were playing tricks on him. Is it possible? Is this the KyungSoo he grew up with and promised to spend the better part of their lives together as bestfriends? The sole reason he returned to this place and went against all odds just to be where he was standing right now?

 

“Kyu—“ ChanYeol’s voice croaks. KyungSoo’s eyes goes back to BaekHyun. He’s fuming and his ears were almost a different shade of purple.

 

ChanYeol musters the courage to lift his hands, desperate to get the paler boy’s attention back to him. But even before he raises them, KyungSoo was already retreating. He almost didn’t notice the boy beside him crying uncontrollably.

 

BaekHyun unhurriedly goes down on his knees to pick up the bear that was callously thrown to the ground. It had a card on it and it reads:

 

To my bestest friend in the whole world:

Promise me you’ll take care of this bear as you would our friendship!

XOXO,

Kyungie