Fateful Encounter 2

[That] One Summer [We Both Shared]

CHAPTER 15

F a t e f u l   E n c o u n t e r  II

 

 

It’s a bright Saturday morning and KyungSoo is already up. He prepares for what he expects to be a busy day at the Milk Tea Shop. It’s his first day as a part-time worker. He needs the money to save up for a surprise gift he’s planning to give his parent’s 20th wedding anniversary 6 months from now. He reckons he’ll be saving enough to buy something really expensive.

 

He literally hops his way down the stairs and stops to greet the dorm keeper. He bows happily to her.

 

“Good morning noona. It’s a wonderful day don’t you think?”

 

“Well good morning to you too squishy. Where’re you off to so early in the goddamn morning?”

 

“I have a weekend part-time job at that newly opened Milk Tea Shop near the south entrance of the university grounds.” KyungSoo says excitedly.

 

“Well, don’t let me keep you from your work.” Kahi beams at him, “and by the way that kid roomie of yours is arriving today. Have you settled your things on one side of the room so he knows which side he’ll be using?”

 

“Yes I have noona.” KyungSoo waves goodbye like he’s never done before to anyone whom he’s met only a day ago. He somehow feels at ease with Kahi.

 

--

 

KyungSoo is being carefully surveyed by the person in front of him. He had blonde hair and was somewhat buck-tooth, the type that was adorable and not the one that looks awkward. He squirms at such scrutiny but just hangs his head low.

 

“So KyungSoo,” the other one breaks the awkward silence, “Nice to finally meet you.” KyungSoo looks up and sees that the guy was now beaming at him and had his arms extended to offer a handshake. “My name is Cha SunWoo and I’ll be the one showing you the ropes around here. Manager SooMan can’t be here today as he’s busy with his other businesses.”

 

KyungSoo takes his hands and shakes them gently. They soon start going around the store, SunWoo reminding the other of things he needs to take note of. From waiting on tables, taking down orders, up to delivering them. They had a good 1 hour before the shop opens and KyungSoo seems to have everything mastered.

 

“Uhm SunWoo hyung, you said that the one who’s taking the closing shift is also new?” KyungSoo says in between buffing the stools and arranging the chairs.

 

“Yep. He actually got the job ahead of you. Like 2 weeks ahead. But he said he couldn’t start immediately and that the weekend before the school starts was the most convenient date for him to begin.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“This was well and good since we only opened the job because school was starting anyway.” SunWoo was going through the inventory of daily supplies. He stops and looks at KyungSoo. “You might know him though since I think you live in the same dorm.”

 

“We do?”

 

“Yeah, it says so on the information that you guys separately submitted. Does Park ChanYeol ring any bell?” SunWoo inquires. KyungSoo’s brow furrows. The name did sound awfully familiar to him. Then he suddenly remembers.

 

“Well, my roommate’s name is Park ChanYeol. Could be him. I’ve never met him though since he’s due to arrive at the dorm later this morning.” KyungSoo states casually. The elder just nods and resumes what he is doing.

 

What are the odds that his new roommate was also his workmate? This could very well be the friend I need to move on from BaekHyun. Little did he know that fate had something mischievous up its sleeves.

 

--

 

Beep beep.

 

From: JongInah~

Sent: 09:16 AM

Kyung-Kyung, I hope you realize that just hearing your voice over the phone made my day already. Thanks for calling me. I wish I could’ve been there to cheer you on. Fighting my cute wifey! ^^

 

“Oh this punk, calling me his wifey.” KyungSoo smiles as he places his phone back inside his locker. He makes his way back up front as his 15-minute break is over. There weren’t a lot of people since school isn’t officially to start until 2 days from now. He sighs as he stands beside SunWoo who’s just delivered an order of two lemon bubble tea to the two ladies sitting in the middle of the shop.

 

“So how’d you like working here so far KyungSoo?”

 

“Great I guess. I mean I haven’t seen the shop on a busy day yet so I couldn’t really tell.”

 

“It’s both fun and tiring when there’re a lot of students here. Majority of the people who come over here are from your University, so you might be able to recognize some of them.”

 

“Don’t you study here as well hyung?” KyungSoo queries.

 

“Nah, I don’t. I go to The Korean National University of Arts. I major in Vocal Music.”

 

“Really? My boyf-,” KyungSoo stops mid-sentence, “uh, my friend studies there too. In the Department of Dance Performance.” He shyly finishes. He almost blurts out that JongIn was his boyfriend, when in reality they haven’t clearly distinguished what is exactly going on between them. Yet.

 

A customer enters the shop and it was KyungSoo’s cue to greet her in and take the order. Morning went on for KyungSoo as any other day, only this was busier.

 

It’s almost noon and this means the new guy should be arriving anytime soon. KyungSoo just delivered lemon iced tea and spicy fried squid to the last customer when the door opens. He turns around and bows down thinking it was a customer. He was able to get a glimpse of the person he bowed to. He was tall, lanky frame, his skin is glowing and he had a really toothy smile. But something else caught his attention that made him uneasy. It was those ears that seemed to have grown at an angle away from his head. KyungSoo swears he’s seen them before. Then it hits him.

 

He instantly straightens his back only to stare at a familiar face. The last time he’s seen him was outside a cinema barely a week ago. KyungSoo still remembers how this clumsy guy spilled his cola over him and JongIn. How this giant brawled and towered over his date as they scuffled each other. Yes, how could he forget the face of the person who cost him his bestfriend?

 

“Park ChanYeol! Glad you came! I was worried that you weren’t going to show up at all!” SunWoo greets the boy who just entered the shop.

 

He is Park-Chan-ing-Yeol!?

 

“Yah KyungSoo c’mere. I’d like you to meet your co-worker, and I get that he’s your roommate as well right? ChanYeol.” SunWoo’s surprised to see KyungSoo approach the door and exits almost instantly.

 

“I can’t ing believe that with all the dumb luck in the world, I get to room and work with that big oaf! I’d rather soon quit my job and leave my dorm than to be-“ Then he stops. He swiftly recalls why he took the dorm he is in right now and why he’s working in that Milk Tea House. “Oh mother-“

 

KyungSoo re-enters the shop with an incredibly fake smile and gritted teeth and approaches the nonplussed boys on the counter.

 

“Hi ChanYeol.” KyungSoo closes his eyes and bows curtly to his dumbfounded workmate. “My name is KyungSoo. We’ll be workmates from now on and I hope we get along well.” KyungSoo recovers from almost curtsying and turns around to greet the customer who just went in.

 

What the hell was that? Anyway ChanYeol come with me at the back so I can hand you your uniform and brief you on what’s gonna happen today.”

 

KyungSoo swears that the gods must’ve betrayed him and thought this was a funny joke. Only he’s not laughing. He starts to think of reasons to resign from his post, but his parent’s anniversary was way too precious for him to consider letting go of this part-time job. This was the only job that allowed him to choose to work only on weekends, so he can’t very well quit. As for switching dorms, his parents already paid for his stay the whole semester, and there’s a clause that once the tenant decides to pull out, there would be no refunds. Who the hell says yes to those conditions? He hangs his head in exasperation as he had his father to thank for that.

 

Looking at the bright side, KyungSoo supposes that he needs not interact with ChanYeol at work at all. There were 3 of them during the weekend and it’s not like they’ll have time to chit chat really. He encourages himself with these thoughts, until.

 

“KyungSoo,” SunWoo calls from the counter.

 

“Yeah hyung. What is it?”

 

“I need to run over to one of our branches as they had an accident and they need someone to cover the shift while they sort things out. Don’t worry I’ll be back before your shift ends at 5. In the meantime, I trust you to take charge, neh? I’ll catch you guys later, kay?” SunWoo pats KyungSoo’s back, nods in ChanYeols direction, and departs swiftly.

 

KyungSoo hasn’t moved since SunWoo left him with his instructions. He’s eyes were extra-large and he just wants to melt from where he’s standing. Disappear even. ChanYeol was giggling to himself when KyungSoo catches him.

 

“What are you laughing at, you- you- big oaf?”

 

“Oh, resorting to name calling now are we? Well if you must now, I just remembered a good joke and I couldn’t help but laugh. You wanna hear it?” ChanYeol was being extremely foolish as he beams his signature toothy smile towards the now infuriated KyungSoo.

 

Do I look like I’m in the mood to talk to you, much less share jokes with you!!??” The pale boy’s cheeks are now livid and he’s quivering like milkshakes were pouring out of his ears and nose.

 

The tall boy lazily props his chin on his palms, elbows on the counter, and starts, “Well you see there’s this chicken and it walked inside the library. It goes to the librarian and-“

 

AELJIHFBIUYFBQVPQEKNMNOIUJSEOP!”

 

ChanYeol wouldn’t have believed it if he hadn’t seen it come from KyungSoo’s mouth. It sounded like a series of shrill shrieking much like chipmunks do when they communicate with each other. Only on a higher tone.

 

“Wow, I didn’t know you could speak chipmunk. Can you tell me what they do with the excess acorns that they harvest?” ChanYeol finds the situation extremely funny and is laughing at the other boy’s expense.

 

It was fortunate that there were no customers inside the Milk Tea House or else they too would be laughing at the awkward situation between the two, if they knew the whole story that is.

 

“Park ChanYeolssi-,” KyungSoo manages to calm down a bit, “I guess you do not understand the kind of relationship we have. Well let me make it simple for you. First off, you and me, we’re not friends so stop talking to me so casually. Second, we are not, and will never be friends. Got that? And finally…” KyungSoo stops.

 

“Finally, what?” ChanYeol inquires, although more to irritate the other than to encourage.

 

“Uhm- I forget, so I- uh- think that was it.” KyungSoo states in a hushed voice. He can’t believe his brain stuck-up on him in the middle of a diatribe. This has never happened, ever. But before he can start retorting, a customer comes in. Relieved, he resumes his duties and just actively avoided ChanYeol as much as he can.

 

Four in the afternoon came and so did SunWoo. An hour later, KyungSoo starts preparing to go home. He goes to the employees’ room and starts to change his shirt when he notices a blue post it on his locker. He grabs it and reads:

 

 

A chicken enters the library goes to the librarian and says: "book book book."

The librarian gives it 3 random books.

An hour later, the same chicken enters & says again: "book book book."

The librarian gives it 3 more random books.

Curious, the librarian follows the chicken and ends up in a small marsh.

A frog suddenly leaps out, sits on the books and says: "readit readit readit."

 

 

 

KyungSoo looks at the piece of blue paper, and sure enough, a small smile starts to creep on his face. He bites his lips and hurriedly changes. He dashes past the counter and yelps a quick goodbye to SunWoo and completely ignores ChanYeol.

 

The lanky giant smirks as he undoubtedly saw KyungSoo running with a huge grin forming in his lips, and a familiar crumpled blue paper in his hands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*********************************

Finally! *le dies*

ChanYeol and KyungSoo's FIRST genuine interaction.

How was it? Didja like it?

I personally love how both character's were so normal for me to write about.

It's as if the story wrote itself.

 

As for the joke that ChanYeol left on KyungSoo's locker, it was an old joke I heard from way before.

 

Comment if you liked it.

Comment if you didn't.

Don't comment if you don't give a  :(

kkk~

 

 

 

Foot note:

Wondering who Cha SunWoo is?

Well, he's non other than: BARO from B1A4

He's my bias in the group so yeah pretty much.

oosuɐɥɔ is love