Reconciliation

[That] One Summer [We Both Shared]

CHAPTER 19

R e c o n c i l i a t i o n

 

 

 

Chanyeol and KyungSoo were at the far end of the school, secluded from the crowd. And what were they doing at the back of an abandoned one-storey building? Cleaning. That was their duty for an hour for the whole week, this was the detention that they got.

 

“Uhm KyungSooyah~, can you help me lift this wood panel here?”

 

KyungSoo gives the taller guy deathly glares. This surprises him as he mouths an inaudible wae.

 

“Please ChanYeol, don’t call me so casually. We’re not that close yet mind you.” KyungSoo says flatly without even looking at him. ChanYeol doesn’t press on and just continues with cleaning the other side of the small yard. It isn’t far fetch to say that he isn’t hurt by what KyungSoo told him. He thought they were already connecting.

 

“Aaaaahhh!”

 

KyungSoo immediately turns to ChanYeol and sees his arm pinned between the heavy looking wood-panel and the wall. He rushes to aid the taller boy. He grunts as he pushes the board away with so much force that it split in two when it left ChanYeol’s arms and hit the floor.

 

“Are you okay?” KyungSoo inquires with a hint of concern, and then he sees it. ChanYeols arm was covered in blood and his expression is one who is trying to fight the hurt.

 

“Oh my god ChanYeol, we better get you to the clinic!”

 

--

 

JongIn stirs his coffee and looks at his wristwatch. 6:30 in the afternoon. It’s almost evening. He glances at his phone. Still no call or message from KyungSoo. He opens the last message that the other texted him.

 

From: My Wifey <3

Sent: 4:53PM

JongIn, I will be a little  late for our 6PM coffee date. I just need to do something here at school.

 

At least he is able to crack a smile when he reads the date part. This isn’t just a friendly coffee meet-up, but it’s supposed to be a date. And somehow, that assures him that it’s worth the wait. He slips his phone back to his pocket and resumes merrily stirring his strong beverage.

 

--

 

BaekHyun walks impatiently to and fro as he fidgets and glares at the time on his phone. 6:56PM. He unconsciously recalls their conversation earlier over the phone.

“Yah Baekkie, let’s meet around 6 yah? Something came up.”

 

“What is it Channie? I’ll just go over there and…”

 

“Gwenchana. I’ll take care of this. See y’later!”

 

Click.

 

He looks at the time again. 7:06PM. BaekHyun’s sure that whatever it is that’s keeping ChanYeol, it must be reasonable. Well, he thinks it must be. He’s sent a dozen text messages and just about 3 voicemail messages. Yes, must be really important.

 

--

 

“I’m sorry ChanYeol.”

 

“Wae? This isn’t your fault. Who would’ve known that that flimsy looking board was actually heavy?” ChanYeol smiles that incredible smile, and immediately KyungSoo gets drawn in. But he still can’t shake the feeling of being responsible for what happened to the tall guy in front of him. ChanYeol had his right arm in cast, and the way he sometimes flinches when he tries to move it, ensures KyungSoo that it is extremely painful.

 

“I should’ve helped you out earlier when you asked me to.” He says apologetically. He fidgets with his fingers and hangs his head low. ChanYeol’s heart warms up at the sight of the now doleful boy. An hour ago he wouldn’t think it was possible that he’d see this side of him. He curves his lips upwards and offers a genuine tap of reassurance to KyungSoo.

 

“This is no one’s fault. Don’t be too hard on yourself.” KyungSoo looks at ChanYeol and yet again gets drawn in by that infectious smile. It’s driving him nuts.

 

“How is it that you still manage to smile like that after what’s happened to you?” KyungSoo inquires almost absent-mindedly.

 

“No matter how difficult and hard something is, I will always be positive and smile like an idiot.”

 

“Well yes, you are an idiot Park ChanYeol.”

 

And with that retort, KyungSoo scrunches his eyes. The line seems to echo in his head. It feels like déjà vu, something that he’s said over and over again in the past.

 

~

 

“You’re an idiot Park ChanYeol!”

 

“Hahaha well I’m your idiot Do KyungSoo! Now faster! Bet you still  can’t run faster than me!”

 

“Yah! When I get my hands on you, I’ll make you sorry for teasing me like that Yeoli!”

 

“Hahaha catch me if you can Soo!”

 

~

 

“I’m your idiot Do KyungSoo.”

 

He opens his eyes and glares at ChanYeol. He’s just sitting there softly looking back at him.

 

“Wha-what did you just say?”

 

“I said—“ ChanYeol stops and decides to lie, “I’m not an idiot Do KyungSoo.”

 

 

They quietly make their way to their dorm room with a big commotion brought up by Kahi about how they should be careful and all. KyungSoo opens the door for his loftier companion and opens the light. He clutches to ChanYeol and helps him sit down.

 

“I’ll just be, cleaning up.” With these words, KyungSoo enters the bathroom to wash up. ChanYeol was left as he starts taking off his clothes. He was having a hard time because of his cast. He decides to just take out his pyjamas and he’ll take it from there.

 

KyungSoo exits the bathroom in his house clothes and sees the other boy struggling with what he’s doing. He feels gut wrench at the sight of his roommate struggling just to get his clothes off. He hesitates to help out, but ultimately surrenders reassuring himself that he’s just there to lend a hand.

 

“Let me.” KyungSoo softly says. ChanYeol looks up at him as he’s seated on his bed. He lets the other boy assist him in changing his clothes.

 

KyungSoo gently tugs the shirt that ChanYeol was wearing and carefully slid it off his arms. He’s trying so hard not to look at the half ChanYeol but something’s egging him. His torso was smooth and defined. He may be a tall guy but his muscles are just where they’re supposed to be, and in just the right amount. He has soft skin and his scent, his scent is almost intoxicating. Like he’s been embraced before by someone with this recognizable whiff. But this wasn’t perfume or cologne. It was ChanYeol smell. Distinct and strangely familiar.

 

He starts to blush. His heart races and he doesn’t know where to look. ChanYeol notices this and grabs KyungSoo’s wrists.

 

“Let me. I can handle this now.”

 

“Uhm, sure, Great.” KyungSoo turns and releases the air that he doesn’t know he was holding back. ChanYeol stands up, brings his clothes and goes inside the bathroom.

 

KyungSoo almost dozes off when he hears the sound of an opening door. ChanYeol’s done. The other boy quietly walks to his side of the room and lies on his bed. He lets out a deep sigh that distressed the younger one.

 

“I’m really sorry you know.”

 

“I didn’t say you weren’t KyungSoo.”

 

“It’s just that, why do I feel so guilty?”

 

“It only means you’re a good person. I know you are.”

 

“How can you tell?”

 

“The way BaekHyun talks about you. He would go on for hours at end just telling me how amazing of a friend you are.”

 

“H-How is he?”

 

“He misses you. Sure he won’t admit it, but, I know deep inside he does. Don’t you miss him too?”

 

Silence. KyungSoo closes his eyes and decides if it’s time to admit that half of him has gone missing eversince he stopped talking to BaekHyun. He’s been incomplete and try as he may, he thinks he’ll never find that missing piece in anyone else but BaekHyun.

 

“I do. I really do.”

 

“I’m sorry as well KyungSoo. I mean, what happened between you and him. I didn’t mean to strain your friendship and all. He was just being friendly to a guy who’s new in town. I guess I took too much of his time and preoccupied him that’s why he forgot you guys were supposed to meet that day. You know, when you returned from your trip.”

 

Silence again. To KyungSoo, everything seems  to rewind and fast forward to a possible present. He was thinking of talking to BaekHyun at this moment and not ChanYeol if he didn’t over react back then. He could’ve saved himself from a lot of angst if he had only listened to his bestfriend. So I guess I’m at fault.

 

But a part of him wordlessly acknowledges their current situation. He somehow feels that this is how it’s supposed to be. He and ChanYeol sharing one dorm room, and both having this conversation. Something inside of him tells him that it’s okay to let his guard down around Park ChanYeol.

 

“Please don’t tell him.”

 

“Tell him what?”

 

“About us. I mean you and me in one dorm room. And us working together. I just—just don’t want him to get the wrong idea.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know what I mean. You being his boyfriend and all.”

 

ChanYeol’s eyes widens as tries to look at KyungSoo in the shrill darkness of their room. He seems to be looking at the ceiling, massaging his temple. Seemingly waiting for his response.

 

“You got it all wrong. We’re, I mean, I’m not his boyfriend. BaekHyun and I are just friends.”

 

“Oh. Well does he know how you feel about him?”

 

“I already told him that I see him as a friend. And only as a friend.”

 

“Good, because I don’t want anyone leading him on.”

 

“Well,” ChanYeol pauses and contemplates whether he can press on, “how about you and that-- I mean JongIn? Are you guys…”

 

“Uhm, JongIn and I, we’re not boyfriends and all if that’s what you want to know.” KyungSoo closes his eyes as he decides that this is the proper response. JongIn and he aren’t exclusive and do not have a mutual agreement yet. So it’s safe to assume that they’re still not in that stage of a relationship to be called boyfriends.

 

Oh. ChanYeol can’t help but smile at that seemingly harmless piece of information. It sends a wave of happiness through his body that almost compensates for the hurt that his right arm is experiencing.

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Pardon me?” KyungSoo asks.

 

“I won’t tell BaekHyun about us. I mean us being dorm mates and work mates.”

 

“Thanks ChanYeol. I’d really appreciate that. Well, I guess we better sleep now. We still have classes tomorrow. Don’t wanna be late.”

 

KyungSoo shifts to his side away from ChanYeol and covers himself with his blanket. He just spent the night talking with that person he despises the most. What is the world going to?

 

“Good night Soo.”

 

KyungSoo’s eye suddenly opens at the mention of his name. Soo. Nobody calls him that. Not that his mind can recall anyone, but somehow hearing himself being called like that makes him wanna curl up and smile. Like it’s something comforting  to hear. Soothing even dare he say. His heart starts to flutter as he tries to fight back a growing smile.

 

“Good night too, ChanYeol.”

 

 

 

*******************************

Well, well well?? Waddya think? oosuɐɥɔ-ish enough?

I'm so excited to head on to Chapter 20.

And didja read ChanYeol's famous line? I hope you didn't miss it.

I love that quote from Yeolipop. :)

 

BTW in this story:

KS: 17yo
BH: 17yo
CY: 18yo
JI: 19yo

 

Do send me love guys because it keeps me going.

When I open my AFF account and see no new comments I immediately log out hurt. kkk~

Well I know my works aren't that fab so, hehehe let me be with my moment.

Thanks to my readers and subbies, you're the reason why I still continue with this pathetic attempt of becoming an amateur writer.

 

Send love for my new stories too: Overdose and Strangers