Chapter Eleven

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
Chapter Eleven



Aaron never returned after he rushed out to get her breakfast like he had promised, and the novelist’s heart fell when the nurse delivered the breakfast that he brought her. It was an obvious sign. Although she was disappointed that the businessman never returned nor visited the following days, she was glad at the same time. If she were the businessman she wouldn’t return either, for she also doesn’t know how to face the relationship between the two of them. It was just too complicated and cumbersomely awkward.

Hebe was aware that Ella and sometimes Chun had visited both Genie and her everyday, but the novelist doesn’t want a conversation with the woman yet, thus she have yet to visit Genie, and would feigned to be asleep when Ella visits her.

“So I finally catch you awake,” Ella smiled, leaning at the door.

Hebe, who was taken back, stopped eating; she thought the woman would come an hour later, she was positive.

“I realized I’d always visit Genie first, and you’d always be asleep when I get here. So I thought, maybe I’ll try my luck changing my schedule around this time.” Ella was serene when she invited herself to sit next to the novelist.

“How’s Genie?” was all the novelist could say.

“Why are you asking me? Did you not visit your sister for the past days?” She is molding a trap for Hebe to fall in to.

“In case you haven’t noticed, my feet were .” There is no way she’s going to lose to Ella; she’s going to play it off cool.

“The nurse can always wheelchair you to Genie.” She lost.

Speechless, Hebe grabbed her apple and munched it angrily, looking away.

“Why can’t you just admit that you’re avoiding me?”

“Why do you have to mention it if you know I am?” Hebe contradicted.

“Because I want us to talk.”

“Well, you have defeated your purpose that was already impossible to achieve.”

“We’re talking now aren’t we?” Ella grinned, she’s glad the snarky novelist is back.

Hebe gave her apple another one of her angry munches.

“I promise I won’t pressure you to talk about things that you don’t want to talk about, but I want you to stop avoiding me.” Hebe turned her face away from Ella, but her munch on the apple became less aggressive, as Ella continued, “I’m you’re best friend, and you’re mine.”

‘I’m you’re best friend, and you’re mine’ was all Hebe needed to hear for her eyes to moist, and thankfully Ella couldn’t see it from her angle.

“So how’s Genie?” Hebe asked again.

Ella smiled, that was all it took to confirmed everything between Hebe and her, “She has passed the dangerous period, but she is still in comma. Calvin is with her right now.”

“When is she going to wake up? Is it okay for her to be in comma, she has con heart disease.” By now, the novelist is talking to Ella face to face.

“They know she has con heart disease, her situation is currently stable; but no one knows when she’s going to wake up. It could be tomorrow, next year or never.” It breaks her heart to tell Hebe, but as her best friend, she knew it’s best to tell Hebe the truth rather than giving her false hope which will scar her even deeper when everything reveals itself.

“Oh.” Hebe already knew of Genie’s situation from Aaron, but she just hope maybe there would be a miracle change. Hebe felt her heart being tugged for the second time, and it hurts more than the first.

“It’s okay, Genie is a strong girl. She’s going to overcome this.” Ella shifted herself to sit at the edge of the bed, and hugged the novelist. Ella the novelist’s hair gently as Hebe rested her head on Ella’s shoulder. Ella could feel the fabric on her shoulder beginning to damp, Hebe Tian was crying.

“Why does it have to be Genie? Why her out of everyone else?”

“God have his reasons, we can’t question God’s actions, but to pray for the best.”

“Well, God.” Ella chuckled at the novelist’s bitterness and foul tongue.

“Now tell me,” Ella broke the hug seeing that the novelist’s tears has dried, she knew the novelist hated to be caught crying, “What is the whole story about Genie being your sister?”

And the two friends spent the afternoon with Hebe’s story, as their friendship reconciled.

-
-
-
-

While working through his papers the inter call from his secretary ringed, “Speak,” he answered it.

“Mr. Yan, there is a Mr. Jiro Wang here who would like to speak with you.”

Jiro Wang? Hebe’s ex-husband; unconsciously, Aaron clutched the phone receiver tightly.

“Wait! Mr. Wang! You can’t….” Aaron could hear his secretary called out Jiro Wang’s name frantically before the line went dead, and his office door flung opened with Jiro Wang inviting himself in, following with a fraught secretary.

“I’m sorry Mr. Yan, but he…” the secretary tried to explain, but Aaron just signal her to go out in understanding.

After the secretary closed the door with her, Jiro advanced to the seat across from Aaron.

“I never thought you’d turn out to be this kind of man. Nice office you’ve got here.” Jiro sat nonchalantly as he admired the extravagant office.

“Thank you. And I don’t believe we’ve meet before Mr. Wang is it?” Aaron put up front his façade for business, “How can I help you?” He didn’t offer a handshake like a professional businessman should, and no he did not forget.

“So you know I’m Hebe Tian’s ex-husband.” Jiro didn’t even try to hide his smirk as he informed Aaron, “I’m sure you have met her, and know her very well.” He emphasized the two words ‘very well’.

“Yes, she is someone I know.”

“Are you sure she is only someone you know? You don’t remember anything more than that?” His eyes pierced straight at the businessman’s, challenging him.

“What are you trying to imply here? Please get straight to the point, I’m quite a busy man if you haven’t already noticed already.”

“Oh yes of course!” Jiro clapped in realization, “And I apologize for my inconsideration. I’ll try to make this conversation of ours quick, if it is possible.” He smiled, it was a sly smile, and Aaron knew this conversation is going to be anything but a swift one.

“Yes, go on.”

“It has come to my realization that love might have sparked again between you and my ex-wife, and I am just here to give you a friendly warning.” Jiro said it in the most casual tone, like there was no tension running in the room, which obviously there is, a cumbersome amount of tension at that.

“I’m sorry, but I think you have mistaken. There is nothing between us.” Aaron denied with immediate speed.

“Really?” Jiro was obviously not convinced, “Well, just in case there is in the future,” he paused, eyeing slyly at the frowning businessman, “take this as a gift, or warning from me.”

“I don’t need it.” Aaron refused.

“You see, Hebe, she is quite a successful novelist in the United States,” Jiro continued, ignoring the businessman’s refusal, “and do you know why she was successful when her stories were just like any love stories out there?”

Aaron remained incurious, and stayed silent, thus Jiro Wang continued.
“She incorporated a relatively large amount of her romantic life in them, and to do so she needs to make her life interesting and dramatic or else it’s going to defeat her purpose. That wicked woman played with the people around her, her supposedly love one, her friends, and even her colleagues, including me.” At this point Jiro Wang was no longer smiling, his expression was spiteful, “She used me as a rebound when you weren’t there in the states with her, she played with my feelings, and blackmailed me when I wanted to separated with her to be with the one who I truly love. She crushed me emotionally after giving me hope, and when we finally separated for good, she still have to make me suffer by preventing me from being together with my love one. All because I was the one who suggested for us to separated, and all for her crazy books.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“Hebe Tian is trying to get back with you not because she loves you, but because she need another victim to play with, so she can write another masterpiece of hers. After she is done getting what she wants from you she is going to throw you away like trash, and step over you in the process. She is a cruel and nasty woman from hell, who only lives to satisfy herself with in the price of other’s suffering. And I am warning you from future misery; stay away from her.”

Aaron laughed sardonically, “You said she used you as a rebound because I wasn’t there with her, on the other hand, didn’t you also used her as a rebound because Selina wasn’t there with you?”

Jiro’s expression turned solemn, he doesn’t like the fact that Aaron knows about Selina and him.

“If what you said were true, then you two were using each other from day one, and you’ve created the unfortunate ending together. It has nothing to do with me.”

“You may say that we’re using each other; but there is one fact that you cannot change or deny, Hebe Tian is a sick woman, she is a demon out to destroy in human form.” Jiro stood up, “Ask yourself, is there really nothing between you two? Do you really think Hebe Tian is not someone whom I have described? How well do you know her? How many years has it been? Understand this, I’m just trying to warn you from being another one of her victim.” And then he left.

Aaron’s appearance was indifferent after Jiro had left the office; although, he might have denied Jiro’s acclamation, and might have defended Hebe along the way, there were actually doubts in him. How well does he know her? He found himself knowing almost nothing of the novelist, but he definitely knows that Hebe Tian is not a saint, and is far from innocent. If what Jiro said was true about Hebe using him as a rebound, then does that mean Hebe didn’t leave to sought after Jiro, she still loved him when she left? Then, why did she leave, why did she married Jiro and even tried to keep him with her pregnancy? With Hebe’s personality, she’d definitely go for the single-mother route if she doesn’t love Jiro. Is it all just as Jiro had said? She is playing all the people around her just to be inspired for her novels, no masterpieces.

If it’s even possible, Aaron is getting even more confused than he already is. He knows that Hebe Tian is the unhealthiest for him, yet, his urge to visit the hospital where the woman is has never ceased.

-
-
-
-

When Ella pushed her into Genie’s ward, Hebe felt a direct pierce of agony through her heart; it breaks her heart to see the already fragile assistant being connected to many wires, and an oxygen mask, her condition is anything but fine like everyone has told her.

“You said she was okay,” Hebe turned to Ella anxiously.

“I know, she is fine. “ Ella comforted the novelist in whisper.

Calvin who has been with Genie finally broke away from his thoughts and took acknowledgement of the two woman, he nodded in greeting and then left the ward.

“I’ll leave you two alone.” Ella patted the novelist’s shoulder gently before following Calvin out of the ward.

Hebe wheeled herself a few more steps closer to Genie’s bed, and held her sister’s chilled hand, “Hey stupid, wake up. You’ve been sleeping for three days now, I’ll fire you if you don’t wake up.” Her voice cracked.

“Fine, I’m sorry okay,” she finally resigned, and allowed the hot tears to flood down her moist eyes, “I’m sorry for not telling you that we’re sisters, I’m sorry for bullying you, and I’m sorry for bringing you back to Taiwan.” Hebe took a deep breath, and wiped her eyes, “If only we had stayed in the states, you wouldn’t be sleeping like a pig in this ugly building.” She stared expectedly for the sleeping assistant to miraculously opens her eyes, but that didn’t happen, “wake up…” the novelist sobbed harder.

While Calvin and Ella waited for Hebe outside Genie’s ward, Aaron arrived to their surprises, “Hey,” he greeted them awkwardly.

“Tell Hebe I left,” Ella regarded at her brother-in-law, “help me watch over her okay.” Ella was observant enough to know that things between Aaron and Hebe had changed to being more complicated than before. Furthermore, ever since the breakage between Hebe and Selina, Ella knew that no one should invite themselves into the tangle of two people, because that’d just complicate things more. What Aaron and Hebe need is some alone time to untangle things on their own.

Aaron nodded, but made no move to enter the ward; instead he only stood in front of the glass window, and observed the two sisters, Hebe to be specific.

“Why don’t you go in?” Suggested Calvin.

Aaron turned to his friend, shocked to hear such a suggestion coming from him, “I thought you disapprove of my interaction with her.”

Calvin shrugged, “I guess there are things that I can’t and shouldn’t control; however, I still hope you will make the most correct decision. Don’t hurt her.” He meant Hazel.

Aaron studied his friend for a pregnant silence, “Something about you changed,” he commented, “is it because of Genie?”

“What about her?”

“You’ve been visiting her a lot.”

“We’re friends.”

“I’m sure you two are friends, but are you sure you don’t harbor something more for her?”

Calvin held his gaze with Aaron for a long silence, before walking away. He is not going to answer that question.

Aaron studied the crying novelist through the glass window for another minute before he finally reached for the doorknob, and lightly twisting it open. The novelist was too engrossed in her sobbing that she didn’t even feel the businessman’s presence, and he took advantage of this to observe her close from behind.

While watching the sobbing woman, Jiro’s words came across Aaron’s mind,

‘How well do you know her?’

He used to think he knew the woman extremely well; she is feisty like a cat where it’s either her way or no way, she is the unusual woman who doesn’t cry easily for she would hold it in and rather suffocate herself than to give others the satisfaction, and she is a smart mouth who wouldn’t go down without a fight of insults. That was how he sees her, but slowly, he realized these traits were barely shown by the woman. Instead, he had witness not once but multiple times where the strong woman that he had claimed, break down in her most fragile form in front of him. He has witness those crystal tears flowing down her cheeks, breaking his heart.

Maybe he never really knew the woman, or the woman might have changed, and he is getting to know her again.

His hand reached towards the woman slowly, and then it halted,

‘Hebe Tian is trying to get back with you not because she loves you, but because she need another victim to play with’ Jiro Wang’s words came back again.

Is it true? Is that why she won’t tell him why she had left him ten years ago, because she never loved him, but only want to play him once more.

Dilemma built in the businessman, and his hand retreated back to himself.

“Aaron…” the novelist mumble weakly through her sobs, “what are you doing here?”

Startled, the businessman jerked unnoticeably, “Oh, Ella has to leave early.”

The novelist continued to stare at him with those glossy eyes of hers, he’d melt if they continue to stare him.

“C’mon, let’s get you back to your room. You’ve bothered Genie long enough.” He pushed her out of the ward, and she didn’t say anything but sitting there and allow him to direct her to wherever he wants.

“Here,” he handed her a handkerchief.

Hebe stared at the handkerchief with bewilderment, but made no action to take it.

“Dry your tears.”

Taking his words into realization, Hebe touched her cheeks, there were still slight tears sliding down from the corner of her eyes, embarrassed, she took the handkerchief, “Thanks.” While drying her tears, the novelist realized, she doesn’t know the businessman keeps a handkerchief with him.

Unknown to them, by the time they arrived at Hebe’s room, the afternoon was already over, and the sun has begin to set. There was little conversation between them, but everything was in a comfortable hushed silent, and they enjoyed it.

“I’m tired.” Hebe whined as Aaron helped her on the bed.

“Then go to sleep,” he covered the duvet on her, “I’ll stay here until you wake up.”

‘I’ll stay here until you wake up.’ These words replayed in the novelist multiple times as she looked at the businessman. What is this hot and cold game he is playing with her? One second he is being distance toward, another he is being perfect warm gentleman, giving her butterflies.

Despite that, Hebe didn’t care but only nodded, she was too smitten by him.

True to his promise, Aaron stayed, and as he guards, he also fell into doze. After all, it has also been a long day for him at work, both physically and mentally. However, the novelist has awakened an hour after, but the woman only continued to feigned asleep because the businessman’s presence was just too comfortable. She doesn’t want him to leave.

She peaked at him every now and then through the corner of her eyes, until he finally fell asleep himself, then her eyes finally opened fully to be mesmerized by the businessman’s sleeping form.

She had stared at him in silent for hours as if he were the most interesting being on Earth, and at the moment, he probably was. Unconsciously, the novelist had found herself sitting at the edge of the bed, facing slumbered businessman.

She realized the man’s physical appearance did not change much throughout the years, his eyelashes were still enviable long, his eyebrows were still strong and dark, the only changes were probably his obvious strong jaw lines and the matured skin tone, which were a sign of age.

Subconsciously, her hand reached to glide down the man’s face, so cautiously like he would perish any moment if she wasn’t careful, “Why do you have to be another woman’s man? Why aren’t you mine when I finally realized who I’ve always wanted?” she muttered melancholy, and slowly, without her own awareness she leaned closer.

To her surprised, Aaron’s eyes shot opened, her hand was being grasped by his strong one, and the next moment, his body pressed hers back on the bed. Everything happened so fast, too fast for the dumbstruck woman to register. His lips ravish hers, it was too much of a sensual pleasure for her to think correctly.

Aaron Yan was never asleep.