Chapter Two

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
CHAPTER TWO

Tension tingled in the air they breathe as the three women sat in the longest silence ever—in their memory bank of the moment. After Ella and Aaron entered the café and took notice of Hebe’s presence it was obvious to every sane person’s knowledge that comfort would never be an option of the situation. Fully well aware of the situation Aaron volunteered to be the gentleman he is and got in the ordering line just for the sake of escaping whatever chick flicks the three friends will be having, good or bad. Of course, he also had to get away for that brief moment to sort out his own sudden jolt of emotions. Apparently, he wasn’t as ready as he thought himself to be, and no, he does not harbor any left over feelings for Hebe Tian. All feelings for the younger woman is history, it has been for the past years and it will stay put that way.

While Aaron was in line to order Ella and his food, Ella who was seated beside Selina (she refuse to be near Hebe Tian) finally broke the thin ice of silence. “What are you doing here Hebe.” Her words were simple, but they were gravely sharped that pierced through Hebe’s heart. Ella’s words were full of hatreds, and her glares accurately confirmed it. “You’re not supposes to be here, to be in Taiwan, to be breathing the same air as us.” Hebe felt like lightening just her, and the world was collapsing. Hebe remained silent, and continued to stare back at Ella.

Selina who could also feel Ella’s poison and Hebe’s broken heart elbowed Ella, and then whispered, “Ella be nice.” Whilst, Selina had dread to say Ella’s very words to Hebe when she had first met Hebe back in the studio, Selina was a softhearted person who allowed her inner longing for her younger friend to overpower the two-second anger she’d withholding inside for so long.

However, softhearted was only Selina, Ella was stubborn, ruthless and never let her words process through her head before speaking. Plus, her position does not allow her to let the novelist off easily if she is even going to forgive the novelist at all. Ella turned to Selina too violently before facing Hebe again, “Be nice? I don’t see how she was nice when she left Taiwan without any notice years ago. I’m only returning half of her cruelty! ” Selina tried to defend Hebe, yet in a way she couldn’t, because Ella was right with her every word.

“She’s right, I was at fault.” Hebe finally spoke, she won’t blame Ella for her bluntness; she has no right to.

Ella sat back, crossed her legs and arms, and gave Hebe a pointed look, “Glad that we’re on the same page here. Now, what the are you doing in Taiwan Hebe Tian? You’re supposed to be in America or Europe with your newest toys.” Ella’s every syllable was like a needle piercing through Hebe’s body all the way through her pulses and through her heart. The pain was slowly injected into her system, that every millisecond was a millennium years of torture.

“ELLA!” Selina roared. She understood that Ella was pissed, but her words were off the edge!

Ella didn’t budge at Selina’s uproar; instead she continued to pierce her deadly glares into Hebe’s glossy pained orbs.
“So what’s up with you ladies,” Aaron’s feigned chill voice broke into the intensive barrier between the three ladies; he then turned to Ella, “Cheese Cake with white chocolate mocha right?”

Both Ella and Selina turned to Aaron, startled; while Hebe’s gaze remained fix at Ella. Noticing, Hebe’s current state Aaron could smell gunpowder in the air.

“Yeah, but I would prefer a croissant while I wait. And yeah, Hebe was just about to leave,” Ella smiled at Aaron before glancing at Hebe. “Right.”

Snapping out of her gaze, Hebe finally recomposed herself and plastered a weak smile on her face, “Yeah,” she grabbed her bag and stood up, “I’ll catch up with you later S, and you too El, when you’re ready.” Ella snorted silently. Aaron who has been silently studying Hebe, and the situation knew something was wrong, and he might just know the reason behind it as well.

“I’ve previously made my point clear.” Ella smiled too blindly.

“Yeah, I’ll email you back later tonight. You can go, it seems like your call was really urgent.” Selina played along with Ella’s lie, and smiled kindly at Hebe, “I’ll make sure to set an appointment for all three of us.”

Hebe nodded appreciatively, and left swiftly without giving Aaron a second look, or that was what Ella and Selina thought. Because Aaron had noticed the brief moment that Hebe’s eyes had glided at him, and he did the same—their eyes met for that brief second where the entire world did not notice, except for them.

Following Hebe’s departure from the café, Aaron took Hebe’s previous seat, and was now facing his sister-in-law and her friend, but he remained silent.

“S! Care to explain why she was here?” Ella was now glaring at her photographer friend.

Selina shrugged coldly at Ella, she was not happy with Ella’s previous behavior, it was too cruel, “Why can’t she be here? She’s a free individual, I have no power over her whereabouts.”

“Oh, Selina Ren, don’t give me that cold shoulder crap like I ing put your on fire.” Ella snapped, her fire was still blaring hot, “She deserves all of that after what she have done.”

“I think you’ve said enough for now Ella.” Selina stopped Ella cleanly, and locked her eyes at Aaron—signally Ella the reason to hold her horses. Ella followed Selina’s gaze and mouthed a simple ‘o’.

Noticing the sudden silence Aaron who was observing the café blankly turned his attention to the two women in front of him. “Don’t mind me, really.” Aaron offered.

“I don’t share my girlfriend business with men.” Selina humored with a chic personality. Aaron could only roll his eyes. Suddenly, a waitress carrying a tray of food and drinks stopped in front of the trio’s table.

“Two club sandwich, chestnut cake, cheesecake, white mocha and three cups of espresso,” The waitress placed the delicious in the said orders, “Enjoy.” And she left with a professional smile.

The three grabbed their respective plates and cups, and began satisfying their growling stomachs as they continue to chatter their times away. While Aaron would steal a glance at his left every now and then, where a plate of chestnut cake and a cup of espresso were left untouched, its supposed owner had left before she could taste them.

__________________________________

Hebe felt herself grasping for every single oxygen molecule in the air after she was a block away from the café. Ella’s reactions and words had out all the air from Hebe, making a great impact of suffocation on the novelist that the novelist couldn’t breath until she was decently away from the café. Hebe expected this kind of reaction, and thought she was prepared for it; however she was proven wrong, because she thought someone had ripped out her heart piece by piece in slow motion. And Aaron’s presence was not helping at all.

Hebe allowed her vision to absorb the city life of Taiwan as she continued down the roads aimlessly. She doesn’t want to think, all that she wanted at the moment was for her mind to be an empty canvas—blank; however, it is against human nature to not think, because the moment human stops thinking they no longer breathe Earth’s air. The novelist suddenly stopped her tracks in front of the building of modern technology, the Apple Store. Upon witnessing the way-too-familiar classy building of the bitten apple, a simple statement voiced inside Hebe’s head,

“So, Steve Job’s legacy also branched out to Taiwan.”

The statement was simple, normal and obvious, but it symbolized a whole different realization for Hebe Tian. When she left Taiwan abruptly she couldn’t even remember ever knowing about Apple in Taiwan; computers and laptops were all thick and black, while Bill Gate’s Microsoft program was the IT leader of the industry. Again, that was almost a decade ago, things changed, and Steve Jobs had created a new generation with his legacy. Taiwan changed, and so did everyone else. It was that very moment Hebe realized that she has been away for 10 years, it’s not that she was never aware of it, but she finally felt it. She had left Taiwan for ten years, and has never contacted anyone about her whereabouts. Everyone has changed for better for good, but she was never there to change with them, she was never in their lives for 10 years and vice versa. How ridiculously naïve of her to suddenly approach her friends like she has never left, and expect to be warmly welcomed after what she had put them through.

How stupid of her to chose her road ten years ago in order to be in such a pitiful state now. Hebe Tian is never someone to regret, and one would be wrong if they thought she regrets her decision 10 years ago. The last thing on her list was to regret leaving Taiwan and moving to America, because she did achieved what she chased for and gained many more during her chase—she gained. However, she felt that she might have achieved something more if she hadn’t left. That was all.

With all that said, things has already happened and is impossible to turn back time, Hebe Tian out of all people understood that clearly. And that is why she finally exhaled and breathed again before staring up at the blue sky. Time can’t be turned back or stop, you can only run with it, and that is exactly what Hebe Tian will do. She is back in Taiwan, and she has no plan in leaving anytime soon. The run will be hard, but she ran it before, she will run it again. Life was never easy they say.

Hebe Tian stood tall; expression fix and waltz in the Apple Store like the world is under her feet. It won’t hurt to buy a new IPhone, plus Genie could definitely use a new one.

__________________________________

Genie who is surfing on the laptop, and holding a pear at the tip of her lips stared at Hebe like the novelist grew a third eye.

“Are you out of your mind!?” the assistant gasped in horror.

“That will be when the world ends.” Hebe replied with wits, she slammed herself and the white premium Apple shopping bags on the couch. She was dead tired.

“Who or what triggered you?” Genie is now beside Hebe, and poking her heads inside the tempting bags. Her eyes glittered, she found something she likes.

“Gosh, I’m so tired.” Hebe rested her backhand on her forehead and closed her eyes. Ignoring Genie’s question. “Did you get food?”

“Not yet,” Genie replied nonchalantly, she was too enchanted by the newly brought IPhone, “ But, can you call I want sushi today.”

“Fine, I’ll call, but that would mean I’m going make another trip to Apple and return that phone.” Hebe was threatening her!

“Never mind, I’ll call what do you want?” Genie quickly said. She needed to save her phone!

“I want sushi and pizza.” Hebe grinned, “I saw a Japanese restaurant 15 minutes away from here when I was on my way back. Oh, and there’s a pizza place just down the block. It’ll be faster if you go personally.” She did that on purpose!

Genie gritted her teeth, and got up. She still wants to keep her phone.

Hebe chuckled after Genie left the hotel room unwillingly. That girl is too easy to bully. It was not that Hebe wants to bully her assistant, okay maybe she did, a little. But, Genie’s questions brought out Hebe’s red alert, she was not ready to share with Genie yet.

Hebe sighed, and grabbed a bag next to her, opening one of her new Mac Books. The novelist charged the mac book before opening the beautiful technology, her deadline is close, she need to at least come up with a plot—which she hasn’t been able to do so in the past 1 year; her publisher was beyond angry. Despite Hebe’s every desire to begin writing, her inspiration or sense of motivation was at below zero whenever she opened a word document. And this time won’t be an exception.

Hebe is great at what she does, it has been proven seven times in the industry by the seven books that she’d published—all were bestsellers with three turned into motion pictures, the forth one is in the process of negotiation. That was the irony, Hebe Tian was good at what she does, and she had never have a problem with coming up with a plot that would blow all her readers out of the water. That was until her writer’s block began one year and a few months ago; she hasn’t been able to write anything since. No one has any idea to Hebe’s sudden long-term writer’s block, because in the past, her writer’s blocks had only lasted for 3 months for the longest; that was acceptable; however exceeding the one-year mark had pushed Hebe’s publishers’ annoyance button. The novelist was frustrated as well.

Pressing the ‘delete’ button for the billionth time, Hebe groaned and grabbed a hand full of her own hair in extreme frustrations. What is wrong with her? Where is her ingenious imagination! Frustration has been driving her so near the edge of a cliff that she is beginning to believe Genie’s joke, “You used up all your ingenious imaginations on your 7 books. You’re getting old, it’s time to retire.” God forbid her words are not true!

Has given up on her ‘writing mission’ of the day, Hebe decided she’ll worry about her publisher’s wrath when it hits her, for the meantime, she’d surf the web and check her emails along the way. True to her words Selina did email Hebe, a lot earlier than the novelist had expected.

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: I’m coming back

Hey, welcome back. I’m sorry about Ella’s behavior from before, everything was just too sudden, your reappearance and everything. But it was great to have you back, although it did take a toll on me as well. Ella is in a very conflicted position; I hope you can understand. It was a pitied that things ended the way it was today, we should make up for that loss. I’m having a gallery show next week, do you think you can make? It will be held at our High School’s auditorium. Your appearance would be my happiest moment of that day.

H, I missed you.

Love,
S

Upon finishing reading Selina’s email, Hebe’s eyes had failed her and allowed streams of salted tears flow down her tired cheeks. The photographer’s last sentence was enough to make the novelist cry her hearts out in relief and happiness.

“Hebe, why are you crying?” Genie’s worried voice startled the novelist. She was too concentrated with the email and her emotion that she didn’t even notice her assistance’s return.

The novelist lied smoothly after she wiped her tears, “I was watching Titanic.”

Genie gasped dramatically, “How can you start the movie without me!” They were both Titanic fan girls despite how old the film was.

Hebe shrugged, “I was bored, we can watch it again.”

And the two women cried their eyes out while watching Titanic for the night. Of course, the food was finished.

__________________________________

After a long day of meetings, paper works, babysitting Ella at the café, and more meetings and paper works Aaron was finally able to wrap things up for the day and go to her favorite place in the world, or favorite person in the world. His girlfriend.

At the elevator’s sound of ‘ding’ the businessman stepped out of the elevator and head for the luxurious apartment door. He inserted the key, twisted and opened the door revealing a strong sense of chestnut and coffee aroma to kiss his smelling sense. His lips curved in a smile.

Aaron took off his leather shoes before stepping foot on the well polished wooden floor, he then made his steps into the kitchen where he assumed the woman of his life would be. And his assumption was correct, in front of the coffee maker was a petite woman with long soft curled hair tied in a high ponytail who’s full attention was at the coffee maker that is producing the addictive liquid of coffee.

Aaron strolled over in silence and startled the woman with a hug from behind. “I miss you.” He nibbled kisses on the woman’s neck, it was almost lustful.

After subsiding the shock, the woman grinned and giggle at her boyfriend’s affection, “Miss you too. I made chestnut cake, and the coffee is almost done. Why don’t you sit down first?” the woman said gently, her warm eyes twinkled beautifully, and her lips so red and tempting. Aaron couldn’t help but steal a kiss from those sinful lips. He was so whipped.

“I’d rather gobble you up.” He flirted ually.

The woman blushed, and pushed Aaron away. “Calm your hormones and sit down.” So Aaron did what he was told, he pulled out one of the chairs and took a seat.

True to her words, she was done under a few minutes and placed a plate of cake and a cup of coffee in front of her boyfriend. “Try it.” She smiled.

Aaron froze for a moment upon seeing the piece of cake, its appearance was different from the usual form that his girlfriend makes, yet it’s appearance was terribly familiar. It was cut in the shape of a rectangle instead of his girlfriend’s usual triangle, and there’s a slight layer of whip cream with chestnut drizzle on top, it looks like the one a certain someone from the past used to eat a lot.

He looked up at his expecting girlfriend, “What is with the new style?”

The woman continued to smile, “Try it first.”

Obediently he picked up the silver fork and put a piece into his mouth. The familiar flavor filled his mouth, and evoked his desire for more.

“Now try the coffee.”

Eyes never leaving the woman, he lifted the cup and took a sip of the black liquid, expecting bitterness. Surprisingly, he was surprised with a taste of bitterness mix with saltiness, once again, the taste was too familiar. Shocked, the businessman spit out the liquid.

“When did they start growing coffee beans with sea water!” He was implying to the salty taste.

A transition of astonishment to happiness appeared across his girlfriend’s face; she clasped her hands together delightedly. “That’s what he said too!”

“Who?”

“The man in the book.”

Aaron gave a perplexed look.

“I was reading a book called ‘I’ today, and there was a scene where the female protagonist was eating chestnut cake just like this one,” She pointed at the cake in front of Aaron, “and her boyfriend who hated chestnuts was siting across from her teasing about her obsession with chestnuts. So the girl handed her boyfriend her spited coffee. Salt was added to the coffee, and her boyfriend said the same line as you did after he spit out the coffee. I loved that scene and thought it would be interesting to share it with you.” Her smile grew wider.

Aaron was speechless, the exact scene replayed in his memory, it was almost like he was that boyfriend in the book. “Really Hazel? You tried to play a scene from a novel into life?” He teased his girlfriend.

“Yes!” she cheered like a child. How cute. “ I’ve always heard good things about the book and the author, but I never bothered to read it since it was originally in English, and the title was not appealing at all. But, I came across a Chinese translation of the novel at the bookstore today so I flipped through the pages, and I couldn’t put the book down since then.” Hazel shared her journey at the bookstore with her boyfriend.

He could only chuckle at his girlfriend’s passion for books. “ ‘I’ ? What a weird name for a book.”

“That’s what I thought too, and the title has nothing to do with the story except for the fact that it was written in first persons. Nevertheless, H’s Pen is officially my favorite author, and I’m planning to haul all her other works tomorrow.”

“H’s Pen? What kind of name is that.”

“A pen name, duh Aaron!” Hazel rolled her eyes at her boyfriend, and received a pinch on the cheeks from her boyfriend.

__________________________________

As their first week in Taiwan passed by, Genie had already gotten used to the new environment, and her Mandarin is starting to get better thanks to the excessive usage of it daily. She and Hebe had just lawfully paid and signed for their newly brought condo after much efforts of trying to find the perfect place to buy throughout the week. Shortly after their trip, they went back to the hotel and changed. Apparently today is the day of Selina’s gallery show, which Hebe would definitely attend, and with much nagging Genie had succeeded in ‘annoying’ Hebe into allowing her to tag along. Genie had always had a thing for pretty pictures and photography.

The cab finally pulled in front of a grand Victorian building, Hebe’s high school. Hebe and Genie stepped out of the cab after paying the fee of course, and entered the too-beautiful-of-a-building school; with Genie gasping in admiration of course. The school is so prestigious looking!

“Wow, are you sure this is a school?”

“Yes,” Hebe chuckled, “this is one of Taiwan’s most prestigious high school.” Hebe allowed herself to be enveloped by the air of the high school that she was once a student of, the place where many interesting and important events in her life took place.

They made it to the auditorium with no problem all courtesy to Hebe, and if possible Genie gaped even more at the sight of the glamorous auditorium. Aside from its status, the school is also know for its ballroom like auditorium that was a hot location for various kind of events and functions. Even a fashion show was held there before.

The auditorium was crowded with people in various gender, race, and attire from business suits, party dresses to casual wears. Selina’s masterpieces were hung all over the extensive room, each piece earning many admiring stares. There were so many people, that it took a difficult amount of time for Hebe to finally locate Selina’s position, she was at the far end of the room looking gorgeous in her simple dress shirt and black jeans with her long hair tied up. Hebe and Genie strode over to the star of the room.

“Selina.” Hebe smiled and hugged her best friend.

“Hebe!” delightedly, the photographer squeezed her new guest.

“Ella.” Hebe smiled at her still angry friend, and then nodded to Wu Chun. Ella only stared, and Chun nodded in politeness—he was not pleased to see the novelist.

“I don’t believe I’ve introduced myself last time,” Selina who was oblivious to Hebe’s awkwardness with Ella and Chun smiled at Genie, “Hello, I’m Selina Ren, photographer and artist of today’s gallery. I hope you enjoy yourself here.”

“Hi, it’s finally nice to officially meet you,” they both chuckled, “I’m Genie, Hebe’s assistant. Your artworks were beautiful.” They shook hands.

“This is my best friend, Ella, and her husband, Wu Chun, they were huge sponsors of my gallery today.” Selina introduced to Genie.

“Hello, nice to meet you.” Genie smiled affably and extended her hand of manner.

Disregard their dislike towards Hebe, Ella and Chun were people of reasons and manners.

Ella was the first to shake Genie’s hand, “Nice to meet you too.”

“The pleasure was mine.” Chun also shook the assistant’s hand.

“I didn’t know you two got married.” Hebe spoke in surprised.

“You don’t know a lot of things Hebe.” Ella’s words were blunt, but there was no venom in them this time.

“I guess I did miss out on a lot.” Hebe agreed, and took a detail glance around the room, “It’s been so long since I was last here. Do you mind if I take a reminiscing tour around the school?” She was positive that Genie would be able to take care of herself and entertain herself with no problems.

“Sure, you should. At lot of redesigning has happened to the school. You’d be surprised.” Selina encouraged.

Hebe left as she had said, and strolled around the school. Teenage memories rushed back to her and brought many different kinds of smiles into her face. After exploring all the different floors, Hebe arrived back at the first floor and entered the school cafeteria, it used to be their favorite dating place. To Hebe’s delight the cafeteria was open as a source of food for the gallery; that means her favorite chestnut cake is on sale.

Hebe has had her first piece of chestnut cake in this school, at this cafeteria and she had fallen in love with the desert for life. She has had many chestnut cakes in the past years; however her favorite is still from the school’s cafeteria. She loves the taste, and it’s special appearance: cut in rectangular forms, with a thin layer of whip cream on top and the special chestnut drizzle on top. You can only find such art piece at once place.

She hurried over to order her cake, “A slice of chestnut cake please.” Another voice asked with hers simultaneously.

Owners of both voices, looked at each other, shocked.

“Hebe…”

“Aaron…”

Why is Aaron Yan, the one person who hates chestnut, ordering chestnut cake? Hebe Tian was confused.