Chapter Nine

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
Chapter Nine

“What is so important that you can’t tell me through the phone?” Calvin made his ways around the circular sofas that is located at the center of the lobby, and sat across from the stoic Aaron.

“Can coffee.” Instead of answering his friend’s question, Aaron threw a can of coffee at his friend.

“I would appreciate a better quality drink.” Nevertheless, Calvin still opened the drink, “So what is it?”

“I found out why she left, and who she married.”

“Hmm…” Calvin was rather calmed, almost expectedly, as he leaned back to enjoy the black liquids, “Hebe Tian again.”

“You seems like you already know everything,” Aaron scrutinized his friend suspiciously.

Calvin only shrugged his shoulder, “It depends on what you’re talking about. I do know that she is married.” It was quite obvious that the novelist had revealed her marriage just the other night.

“She was talking to Ella and Selina outside, and I-“

“You were eavesdropping,” Calvin finished for him, rudely.

“Listening,” Aaron stressed, “And it sounds like she left, because she was angered at the fact that Selina had stolen her ex from her; but why would she leave because of that? We were already dating at that time, whoever her ex is with shouldn't matter to her anymore right?” Aaron asked Calvin for confirmation, but got none, “She even went out to marry the guy, got pregnant with his baby, and only to kill the baby in the end; all that for revenge? I could understand where her anger is coming from, but where did all that anger come from for her to execute such a cruel and vicious plan? Even to the extent of killing her own baby.”

“She is coldblooded.” Calvin said the words that Aaron couldn’t find himself to say voice out.

“Did she ever loved me when we were together? If she did, then she shouldn’t harbor such strong angers towards him to take revenge. The only explanation for her revenge is because she still loved him, deeply.”

“The only explanation is that she didn’t love you enough, or never did.” Once again, Calvin had spoken what Aaron Yan feared, “But why do you care now? You love Hazel.” He made sure to accentuate the last sentence.

“She came to me this morning,” Aaron used his palms to rub his face, and then breathed heavily.

“And” Calvin doesn’t like the feeling of where this is going.

“She told me her feelings for me came back.” Aaron paused, and waited for his friend’s response.

Instead Calvin only stared at Aaron to continue.

“She kissed me, and I think I kissed her back.”

Calvin’s expression became grave, “Is that all?”

“That’s it,” he lied, they went a tad bit further. He was tempted to go further if it wasn’t for the sudden remembrance of Hazel, “I pulled away, because of Hazel.”

“Good, remember Hazel is the one for you, not Hebe Tian. Hebe Tian is the woman who never loved you, played you, and is planning to play you for the second time. She is a cruel woman, a woman that is not right for you.” Calvin is warning him, almost threatening.
-
-
-
-



On the same afternoon of Hebe’s departure Genie had decided to make her boss a visit, but to only find that the novelist is not in her room. She went to ask Ella and Selina, but the two only answered painfully with a no.

Anxiously, the assistant began to search through the hotel frantically, until she run into Aaron and Calvin at the lobby. “Did you guys see Hebe?”

Calvin gave the silent Aaron a look before turning to the frantic woman, “No, why?”

“I can’t find her.” She was worried.

“Try asking them,” Calvin eyed at the front desk employees.

Genie turned to the front desk instantly, “Excuse, have you seen Hebe Tian, resident of room 801 today?”

“801?” the woman hesitated a bit before clicking on the computer for records, “Miss Tian has checked out.”

“Checked out?” Genie asked dubiously, Hebe never told her that she’s checking out.

“Yes, she checked out a few hours ago.”

“Thank you,” dazed, Genie turned to Calvin and Aaron, “Did she tell you guys that she’s going to check out?”

“Leaving without a word, it must be a habit of hers.” Aaron outraged before leaving on his own.

Calvin shook his head.

“What is with him,” Genie commented after Aaron’s diminishing back.

“He’s having a bad day,” Calvin answered, “Want to go out for a walk?”

Genie hesitated, “Sure.” Since Hebe left without saying anything, she must have her own reasons. There is nothing that she can do at this point, because she knew the novelist wants to be unbothered since she did leave without anyone knowing. Genie would respect that, and enjoy the rest of the trips.

As expect from Okinawa, the weather remained calmed whereas the sky is still clear as the ocean, and the sun brighter than indoor electricity.

“Aren’t you going to call Hebe?” Calvin began to ask as they walked the peaceful Okinawa soil.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because she already checked out.”

“Interesting, don’t you want to know why?”

“Are you going to ask someone questions if you know that person doesn’t want to be bothered?” Genie questioned him; he liked the way she smiles at him.

“I guess not,” and he couldn’t help but smile as well, she’s rubbing it off on him, “How do you know that she don’t want to be bothered?”

“It's a mutual acknowledgement, when you understand someone. You just know it.”

“So you understand her?”

Unknowingly they’ve arrived at the rocky cliff, Genie gave the calm waves that are beating at the strong rocks before, and thought of Hebe’s confession from last night, “I guess I do.”

“But you didn’t know she was married?” He took detailed noticed of the woman’s every move; he liked watching her.

“Every person has his or her own secrets that they don’t want other’s to know. And you don’t need to know everything about a person to understand them.”

“Well said,” Calvin nodded in acknowledgement. He has noticed that the woman is wiser than he had thought she is, regardless of her young age. It’s charming.

“Hey, I just realized, not once have you swim throughout this trip. Why is that?”

“Will you believe me if I tell you that I have a disease that forbids me to swim?”

“Really?” His expression changed drastically, and concerned.

“Of course not you silly,” Genie laughed.

“You played me,” Calvin feigned exasperation, with a bright smile, “how dare you! You must be punished!” and he began tickling her.

Laughter emitted from the two as Genie tried to block Calvin’s swift tickling hands, it was no use; hence she attempted to run away. And then he pulled her back, close to him.

“Dammit it,” she was breathing heavily.

“You’re not going anywhere until I say your punishment is over.” He twirled her around to face him, and then wrapped her close by the waist.

“Then when is my punishment going to be over?” she asked teasingly.

“I don’t know. When do you want it to be over?” He answered back with another question. He gazed down at her, and decided her lips are tempting.

“I thought the decision is with you.”

“This will be your final punishment then,” he kissed her lips lightly, and then pulled back.

“Wow…” Genie was stunned, “that was unexpected.”

“I know right,” He smiled, his arms are still wrapped around her waist, “So why don’t you swim?”

“Hebe won’t let me.”

“Are you looking for another punishment?”

“No,” she replied honestly, but smiling cheekily.

He gave her another ‘punishment’.

“Well, you’re a bully.” She laughed.

“I like being a bully actually,” he played along, “Really, you’re not swimming because she don’t let you?”

“Yup.”

“Why?”

“Life would be a if she’s mad.” She stuck out her tongue, habitually.

“She sounds pretty important.”

“Kind of I guess.”

“Between love and her which one would you chose?”

“If someone loves me, he’d have to love her respectfully as well.”

“What if your love wants to destroy her?”

“Then he’s going to get destroyed first.”

“So you chose her over love.”

“Did I?”

“Pretty much.”

“I guess so.”

“Even this won’t change your mind?” He kissed her again.

“Are you my love?”

“Am I?”

“Are you?”

“I like kissing you.”

“How strange, your lips felt kind of good against mine.”

She’s teasing him, and he’s doing the same thing.

-
-
-
-

Subsequent to her confrontation with Selina, Hebe had packed her things and arrived at the airport, she is flying back to Taiwan alone. When Hebe decided to lay everything out with Selina, despite the fact that it was sudden anger that had triggered her, the novelist was prepared for their trio friendship to break, and she didn’t care, not anymore. With the tension between Selina and her, she knew that the remaining days of the trip would be impossible, unless one of them leaves. Hebe Tian decided to sacrifice herself, because at the same time she doesn’t know how to face Aaron Yan, not after the insulting rejection.

Once again, she told no one of her departure, not even Genie. Hebe Tian needed her alone time, detached from anyone that she knows.

After Hebe Tian landed back at Taiwan she was indeed at peace where there is no one to contact her, because she has disconnected everything that could reach her. Even so, she is only in the surrounding of peace, peace is not within herself. There is too much going on within the novelist for even a small-scale of peace to settle. The novelist had attempted to draft a new story for the sake of getting her job done, but the activity is too quiet and requires too much thinking. As a result leading her to thinking of something else, something that she didn’t want to think about.

Upon seeing that staying home is not doing the job for her, the novelist decided to head out, and hoped for the busy city to also keep her busy. It seemed to have made an effect, albeit not very much. The broad source of air in the wide open compared to the stuffed condo seemed to have refreshed the novelist a bit, allowing her to breathe a tad bit easier. She loved to mix herself within the busy crowd of people during busy hours, because they made her feel busy as well. It was the feeling of unsettling and overwhelmingness that allows no time for your brain to settle on thinking just one particular event. It was just what Hebe Tian needed. Albeit, busy hours were just that long for a day, and the novelist is also tired from the wondering, which forced her to settle inside a café. She refused to be alone, because the feeling is unbearable.

Hebe Tian chose quite a mildly occupied café to enter, and was met with a rush of warmth once she entered, in contrast to the cold weather outside. It was then Hebe Tian had realized her tender fingers were numb from the coldness. Something warm would be perfect for her. Her eyes roamed around the cozy café, and finally settled with a window table. The café’s employees were quite busy trying to keep the café within pace; as a result it took a relatively long time before the novelist could make her order. Not that she minded, since her gaze got to follow the rushed staffs, it kept things off her mind.

“Hey.” A warm crisped voice introduced from the woman that took a seat in front of Hebe.

Hebe didn’t say anything, but she stared.

“You’re Hebe right?” asked the woman, Hebe envied the woman’s ability to smile so brightly, “I’m Hazel, we meet during Selina’s gallery show.”

Aaron Yan and Selina Ren’s faces painted across the novelist’s mind, and then the memory of her encounter with Hazel. The novelist emitted a polite smile, albeit she is hoping to remain unbothered, because Hazel is related Aaron Yan which is no good. “Hey.”

“You don’t mind that I sit down right?”

You already sat down, the novelist wanted to say; however, instead, “Of course not.” She smiled, but not genuine. Despite the fact that she knew Hazel carries nothing but kind intentions, the novelist couldn’t help feel the need to be offensive; she don’t like the woman. It was an instinct you could say.

“We never really get to know each other last due to my position for the gallery, but I would like to thank you for the cake. It was lovely.”

Hebe’s warm coffee came, and she made the decision to take a sip before answering the woman across, “You’re welcome. I didn’t want it anyway.” No, she desired for it, but the wrong words came out.

“How did you know Aaron? I’ve never heard of him talk about you.”

I’m his ex, she wanted to say, “We were high school friends; I just came back from America not long ago.” Then she took notice of the two books beside Hazel, those were her books.

“I see, then you must be really close with Ella and Selina.”

Ella and Selina…. Yes, she was really close with them. Was. “Mhmm…” the novelist only nodded, she figured that's the best way for her to answer. She doesn’t want to say ‘yes’.

“You guys already came back from the trip?” Hazel continued to ask, “I thought Aaron said you guys would be going for a week, there is still 2 more days left.”

Aaron, Aaron. Hebe realized that name has been emitting from Hazel way too much, and way too casually throughout their conversation. She doesn’t like it. “Are you seeing Aaron?”

“Oh, how careless of me. Yes, we’re dating. I thought he already told you.” Hebe Tian knew why she didn’t like Hazel now, because she is dating him.

“We don’t talk much,” she lied, and then she eyed at Hazel’s books, “You’re reading those?”

“Oh yes, I love this author.” Hazel grabbed one of the books, and smiled brightly upon the mention of her favorite books.

The novelist took another sip of her coffee; however, expression remained unchanged, indifferent, “Why would you like a foreigner’s book?”

“It doesn’t matter who the author is as long as she writes great stories. Stories that stands out from all the others.” Hebe only nodded while she listen to Hazel, “There is something about H’s Pen’s stories and the way that she describes things really draws me in. It’s a feeling that I can’t put into words, but I could only feel for her characters, and somehow the story sounds real after I finish reading. Its magical.”

“Mhmm…”

Hazel continued, “I don’t make any sense huh?” the woman laughed embarrassingly at herself for making such a fool out of herself. She can never stop whenever it comes to books; they’re her dear life you might say. “Somehow, the author doesn’t feel like foreigner to me, I feel like I actually know her, and she is of the same ethnicity. Or maybe, its just because I’m reading the translated versions.”

“You definitely don’t know her, she writes in English.” Hebe emphasized strongly.

Hazel was startled at Hebe’s acclamation, she spoke as if she knew the author, “Do you happen to know the author?”

There was a significant silent before Hebe spoke, “Her books are not for you to read.” And then the novelist left.

After Hebe left the café she knew that the rest of her day is ruined, there is no way for her stop thinking about Aaron Yan or Selina Ren. Hence, she went straight home.

“Miss Tian, there is a package for you.” That was the first thing the security guard greeted her with.

“Oh, thank you.” She acquired the package, and then entered the elevator.

The box read “Dr. Chung” and “New York” that was all it took for the novelist to know what is inside the box; her pills, pills that she no longer needs.

-
-
-
-

‘BANG’ Genie made sure to slam the door loud and clear when she entered the condo; she needed to let her irresponsible boss to be aware of her return.

“HEBE TIAN!” the assistant’s holler was loud enough to shatter all the glasses in the house. She respected the novelist’s decision to leave without words doesn’t mean she forgive the woman for not telling her.

“Oh you’re back, how was the trip?” A yawning Hebe appeared, and poured herself a glass of water, “Do you want a glass?”

“Yes.” Genie dumped her luggage, and stomped towards the couch, waiting for the novelist to bring her water over. “What is this?” She noticed of the package from Dr. Chung.

“My vitamins,” the novelist answered nonchalantly. She handed Genie her water, and then sat down as well.

“Why would a doctor send you vitamins? You could just buy it yourself.” Genie definitely didn’t buy the novelist’s answer.

“They’re prescribed vitamins, not some off counter ones,” Hebe continued smoothly, “I care about my health a lot thank you very much.”

“But who is Dr. Chung? I thought your doctor is Dr. MuRong.”

“Oh, by the way, the publisher has been calling, but I didn’t answer her calls. Take care of that for me the next time she call.” Hebe Tian is avoiding the question.

“Oh my gosh again?!” the assistant grunted, she hated the publisher’s calls, “Can you just write something for them?”

“You cannot rush art baby,” Hebe winked at her worked up assistant, and then walked off.

“Aye!” Genie could only called after in futile, “You still haven’t told me why you left so early!”

“It was emergency!” the novelist’s weak reason echoed through the house.

“Right, and I am a millionaire,” Genie pouted. Her eyes lingered on the package for a long period of time, she don’t like that package, yet she couldn’t really put her finger in it; why don’t she like it?

“Hello,” she answered her buzzed phone, it was Ella.

“Hey Genie, are you home yet?”

“Yeah, what sup?”

“Is Hebe home?” Ella was careful with her question.

“Yeah why?”

“How is she?”

“What do you mean? She’s fine.”

“Oh.”

“Did something happen between you guys?” The assistant finally sensed something.

“Oh, no,” Ella hesitated with her answer, that was all it took to confirm the assistant. Something is wrong, “Can you ask her to give me a call?”

“Oh sure.” And then Ella hung up.

Genie finished the last of her water before she rise from the couch and headed towards Hebe’s room, “Aye, Ella said to give her a call.”

“Mhmm,” the novelist began to scribble something on a sticky note and handed it to Genie, “I changed my number.”

Genie took the sticky note, and studied the new number. It also meant don’t give the new number to anyone, “Did something happened between you and Ella? Is that why you left so early?”

“Not really,” the novelist gave a short reply, and then walked back to her bed, “close the door on your way out.”

Rather than doing what the novelist said, Genie followed the novelist inside the room, “Seriously, Hebe you have to tell me. It seems like everything that revolves around you is a secret, and it’s making me uncomfortable that it feels like you’re a different person.”

“Really? How?”

“I didn’t know that you were once married.”

“It’s the past. It's a really boring story anyway.”

“At least tell me before hand gee.”

“Well, I was married before. Satisfied?” the novelist smiled teasingly at the assistant.

“Is there anything else that I should know?” Genie tried not to laugh at the novelist’s childish attempt, “Lie, and I’ll be mad forever.”

“I’ll tell you when you crucially requires it.” The novelist offered with honesty.

“I crucially requires it now.” Genie was fast.

“No you’re not,” Hebe laughed, and threw a pillow at the assistant, “now get out before I kick you out.”

“Shesh! Fine!” Genie then retreated out of the novelist’s room, because she knew it’s impossible to get anything out of the novelist at this moment. The woman is avoiding the conversation, and Genie is going to respect that. She is going to wait for the moment when the novelist wants to tell her, or when her chance of crucial moment arrives. Whatever that means.

Hebe Tian
Aaron Yan
Selina Ren
Ella Chen
Wu Chun

These people all reminds Genie of certain people, but she couldn’t really put her finger into it. Because someone is definitely missing if they are to resemble who she thought they resembles.

Maybe Genie should make an effort to read the novelist’s books rather than relying on the movies that were based off the books.