Chapter Three

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
Chapter Three

As if cat caught their tongues, neither the novelist nor the businessman could find their larynx to produce any sound of voice. They stood facing each other with obvious awkwardness, and the inability to say something to one another was eating them alive inside. Neither of them were creatures fond of awkwardness.

It was the cafeteria lady who broke their uncomfortable silence. “I’m sorry, but we only have one slice of chestnut cake left.”

Slightly startled, Aaron and Hebe turned their attentions to the cafeteria lady.

“Oh! The prom king and prom queen!” the cafeteria lady exclaimed cheerfully, surprising Aaron and Hebe again. Confused, Hebe gave a perplexed look, and Aaron raised an eyebrow.

“What are you talking about Auntie?” Aaron tried laughed it off, awkwardly.

“Don’t you remember me?” said the cafeteria lady, “Oh, right. It has been years, and I’ve grown old, of course you youngsters won’t remember me. I’ve been working in this school for 15 years, you two were graduates of this school right?” Listening attentively with manners just as they were taught to be, familiarity finally hit the two. She was the cafeteria lady who always saved a slice of cake for Hebe back when they were still students of the school.

“The cafeteria Auntie!” Hebe smiled excitedly. “Oh my gosh, I really couldn’t recognize you!” Hebe had always loved the petite lady back then, because she always saved a slice of cake for the novelist; the cake was an extremely popular dessert back then. “How have you been?” While excitement filled Hebe, Aaron only stood silently next to Hebe. It was not that he couldn’t remember the lady, but he never had the kind of relationship with the lady like Hebe did, he never had a favorite dish for the lady to reserve for him.

“I’ve been well my dear.” The lady smiled gently and pleased, “How have you two been? Did you two get married yet, I hope to see your children attending this school soon.” Totally forgetting about the few-minutes-incident where Hebe and Aaron had encountered each other unexpectedly, the cafeteria lady spoke her assumptions—assuming an existing marriage between the novelist and the businessman.

Just when Hebe and Aaron forgot about the discomfort, they were brought back to that exact state by the cafeteria lady’s aloud assumption. Just when Aaron was about to correct the lady, the bubbly lady spoke again. “Oh, you two were such a darling couple back then, and your winning of the prom titles was every girl’s dream. Do you know that everyone had expected your winnings back then, I even attended the party to see your moment on stage! That night had became a legend of the school!”

Aaron’s expression became solemn, and Hebe tried not to let her forced smile fall and sour the sweet lady’s mood. Not knowing what to say, and wanting the lady to stop talking about the past immediately, Hebe stopped the lady’s chattering by asking about the cake. “Auntie, the cake…”

“Oh right! How forgetful of me. The cake must’ve been for you, I remember your husband doesn’t like chestnut.” The lady smiled in mischievous, and handed Hebe the cake, leaving the two speechless.

“Thank you auntie.” Hebe accepted the cake awkwardly before giving Aaron a look of uncertainty.

Surprisingly, Aaron pulled out his wallet and handed the lady some bills before saying, “It was nice to know you enjoyed that night, but I got dumped a long time ago.” With that said, Aaron turned to Hebe, “You can have the cake, my treat as a welcome back to you.” And then he walked away.

The lady accepted the money with her eyes widen in horrifying shock, as if lightening had just strike her. Hebe smiled apologetically at the lady. “Bye Auntie, it was nice seeing you again.” And she hurried her steps after Aaron.

--

“Aaron!” Hebe chased after the businessman with a piece of cake in her hand, “Aaron, wait up!” The businessman halted his steps, spun around and waited for the novelist to catch up. Expression solemn. Hebe finally caught up to him, and they were then facing each other; however neither spoke.

“What?” Aaron finally decided to break the silence; his tone was almost annoyed, almost.

Hebe idled for a brief second, not knowing what to say she took at glance at her cake, “Your cake.” She said lamely.

Raising an eyebrow Aaron looked at the novelist, didn’t he make his forfeit for the cake clear back in the cafeteria? “I told you, the cake is yours. As a welcome back.”

“Oh.” Was all Hebe said, and she felt like kicking herself for such stupidity. Hebe Tian should NOT be acting this way; it is against every cell in her body and personality. Yet, she was behaving just abnormally, and allowed awkwardness to fall into the air again. The two stood in the middle of the hallway, in silent.

“Really Hebe, if you have nothing to say then I’ll excuse myself.”

“You don’t have anything to say to me?” Hebe finally recomposed herself with confidence, and stared straight into Aaron’s eyes, sending chills down Aaron’s spines.

“There’s nothing to say.”

“You’re not going to ask for an apology?”

“Would you ask for an apology from your ex who left you for someone else?” Aaron challenged.

Hebe thought for a moment before replying, “No, I’d be too angry. I’d either take revenge or ignore that person.”

“Exactly.” Aaron stated as a matter of fact

“But you’re not doing any of that.”

“Because I’m not Hebe Tian,” Aaron took a breath and stared at the novelist, his words harbored many other meanings, which slammed more guilt into Hebe. “And plus, it has been 10 years all angers and feelings should’ve subsided if not faded already.”

Hebe felt her heart sank; she didn’t want Aaron’s feelings to sink. “I owe you an apology.”

“Apology accepted.” Aaron answered quickly, way too quickly. As if he wanted to end the conversation fast. And he does.

“Aaron!” came a female voice from behind Hebe. Both Hebe and Aaron turned their attention to the voice; Hazel was heading towards their way with a smile. Aaron smiled.

“When did you get here?” Aaron asked when Hazel finally joined them.

“Way before you. Obviously.”

“Oh right, you’re the organizer.”

“Thank you for remembering,” Hazel teased, rolling her eyes sarcastically before turning to Hebe, “this is?”

“Hi, I’m Hebe, a friend of Selina,” Hebe hesitated for a second on whether or not to mention Aaron’s name. Finally decided not to, and smiled while extending her hand out for a shake.

“Hi Hebe, I’m Hazel the show’s organizer.” Hazel accepted Hebe’s handshake. Noticing that Aaron is also there Hazel decided to make her leave, and let her boyfriend continue his conversation with Hebe—she had assumed they were business associates or friends, connection courtesy to Selina, “Well, I just wanted to come say hi to Aaron, I won’t bother you two anymore. Nice meeting you Hebe.”

“The pleasure is mine.” Hebe smiled.

Just when Hazel was about to leave, she spotted the cake on Hebe’s hand and paused for a moment. “If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get the cake?” Hazel couldn’t believe the coincidence of seeing the cake in real life, beside from the ones that she made; but this one is perfection comparison to the book’s description.

Confused for a second, Hebe looked at her cake in realization, “Oh, it’s from the school cafeteria. You should try it, it’s one of a kind that can only be found in the school.” Hebe smiled in delight at the mention of her favorite cake, “Here you can have this piece, it’s the last one from the cafeteria.”

“Are you sure?” Hazel asked; it was evident that she yearns for the cake.

“Go ahead, I’m pretty full anyway. Why waste such a masterpiece.”

Convinced by Hebe’s reasoning Hazel took the cake happily; she had always wanted to try the cake described in her favorite book. “If that’s the case, thank you. I’ve always been wanting to try the cake, but I just couldn’t find it.”

Hebe smiled and handed Hazel the cake, and the organizer walked away happily with her cake. After Hazel left, the novelist turned back to the businessman.

“Your friend is really cute.”

“I know she is.”

A tingle of jealousy fluttered in Hebe. “Anyway, the cake is now gone, you still owe me my welcome back gift.”

Aaron felt himself gasped inside, how ridiculous can this woman get! “I’ve already given you the cake, it was your choice to give it away.”

“I was just kidding with you, but it would be nice if you didn’t react so stingy.” Hebe tried to lighten up the tension,“ Anyway, I didn’t know you like the chestnut cake.”

“When did I say I like it?” Aaron refused to admit.

“Well, you were going to buy it.” He was caught.

“People change.” Aaron had enough of Hebe’s effort of conversation, “Seriously, Hebe, what are you trying to do? I don’t think we should be talking at all.”

“So you’re mad at me?” Hebe asked, she really meant what she said.

Aaron sighed in slight exasperation. “When did I say that?”

“You implied it just now. You said we shouldn't be talking to each other.” Hebe was blunt with her words.”

Aaron used his hand and pushed his hair back, frustrated with the woman. “Okay, let me make this clear. I’m not mad or angry or anything. But, seeing how things ended between us 10 years ago, I don’t think we should be having a chat with each other for the sake of comfort.” Aaron finally decided to be honest with his words for once.

“Things didn’t end.” Hebe suddenly dropped the bomb at Aaron.

“What do you mean it didn’t end? It ended, you left me for someone else.” Aaron was at the edge of being angered, his patience ran out the moment the woman brought back the past with her ridiculous words. Things didn’t end? Who was the woman kidding! She must be hallucinating!

“Who told you I left you, left you for someone else? ” Hebe’s focused orbs stared straight into Aaron’s, serious. “Aaron, I told you before I left.” It was Hebe’s last sentence that caught the businessman.

Aaron remained silent, and Hebe stayed in that state with the businessman. Aaron was not shocked; he was beyond shocked and confused. After all these years where he has been wondering why the woman had left him, she is now telling him she never left, never cheated. He didn’t know what to believe anymore. One would ask why is he having doubts, and not believe the woman’s words; however Aaron Yan out of anyone should know that Hebe Tian is not your most innocent or kind creature on earth. “If you could excuse me, I need to leave now. I have an important meeting in a few hours. Please do give Selina my congratulation.” Didn’t want to stay anymore, not wanting to face Hebe Tian, Aaron lamely excused himself. His words were lame, transparent and random; it was obvious to even a 5 years old.

“No, I can’t excuse you.” Hebe replied boldly and bravely. But, Aaron was not asking for permission, he was only juggling his words with politeness. The businessman turned his heels and left down the hallway. Hebe watched the man’s back disappear around the corner.

She told him? Told him what? Aaron Yan’s brain was in frenzy.

------------
After Aaron left, Hebe walked back into the auditorium hoping to find Selina or Genie; however, those two were nowhere in sight, instead she spotted that Ella was in a crucial moment of danger. Hebe excused herself past the crowd of people and rushed to Ella.

Ella was going to accept a small cup of trail mix from the waitress, because really, despite her age the woman is still madly in love with junk food—and yes, even trail mix counts! However, just when Ella’s fingertips were about to touch the cup, Hebe grabbed the cup from the waitress before Ella can grasp a hold of her yummy treat.

“Thank you, some snacks were just what I needed at the moment. But my friend here won’t need them.” Hebe smiled politely at the confused waitress who could only stared for a moment and walk away since Ella didn’t say anything.

“What was that for!?" Ella tried to lower her angered voice down to the minimum, but even that was hard.

Hebe turned to her angered friend with a strict look, and showed her the cup of treat. “Ella what is this, and what’s inside?” the novelist asked.

Ella stared into the cup, and gave Hebe an annoyed look before replying, “No it’s trail mix. Don't you know what’s in trail mixes?”

“So you’re going to gobble this up if I didn’t take it from you?” Hebe asked again.

“Yeah, and I’d like my trail mix back if you don’t mind.” Ella crossed her arms, she was annoyed, and she didn’t like the novelist’s usage of ‘gobble’.

“Ella Chen, this trail mix that you were about to eat is not the kind that you usually eat. Let me remind you that this is a gallery show, and this trail mix is normal trail mix and not your special trail mix that excluded peanuts.” Hebe’s tone was almost frustrated, and she probably was frustrated at her friend’s carelessness. “There are peanuts in these!”

Ella stood dumbfounded in front of the almost-madden frustrated novelist, and stared at the cup of treat in horror. Hebe was right, she totally forgotten about the peanuts in these trail mix. She’d usually have Chun look out for these things for her, but Chun is not by her side at the moment, and she almost made a grave mistake that might just wheel her into the emergency room. Ella glanced at Hebe again. “You still remember.” She was shocked, yes, but also touched.

Hebe sigh and her expression softened from her previous frustration. “Of course I remember. How could I not when it could kill my best friend anytime.”

Ella stared at the novelist gently, all venom from before had dissolved immediately. Ella maybe stubborn and holds a strong image—she is not someone to forgive easily; however, she had always had a soft spot for people that she loved. And it was because Hebe was one of her few love ones, and that was why Ella was extremely harsh before, the damage Hebe did to her was huge. Even so, it’s hard to forget a strong friendship of five years; Ella has found her excuse to forgive the novelist. Because at that very moment, Ella had understood that despite all the novelist’s sin and the 10 years of disconnection, the novelist is still the same old person—her best friend who cares deeply for her. That’s the only thing that matters, Chun and Aaron can fight they’re own mental battles. Ella is done trying to pick sides; Chun would just have to live with it if he doesn’t like it.

“Yeah, that would if I died because something as insignificant as those terrible peanuts.” Ella smiled affably at the novelist, “I still have to live to hear your stories of 10 years.”

Hebe choked a laughed at her friend’s last sentence, slight tears streamed down her cheeks, but the novelist wiped it away quickly. “Yeah, that would if we couldn’t swap stories.” Ella has forgiven her. Hebe Tian officially loves trail mix, for the day only because it is a hazardous item for her best friend.

“C’mon, let’s go find Selina. She’s probably dying from people’s professional talks.” Ella linked arms Hebe, and the two roamed through the crowd for their other friend.

Hebe felt herself smiling genuinely for the first time ever since her arrival at Taiwan. She might’ve lost her love, but Taiwan has given her friendship back. She’s satisfied enough, for now.

------------------------------------------------------

Aaron had lied when he told Hebe about an important meeting, in fact, he has no work today because he planned to give Selina’s show his whole entire day, and then end it with a romantic dinner with Hazel. Apparently, seeing how things are now, all his plans for the day needs to be cancelled, time for a scheduled change.

The thing is, Aaron don’t know how to schedule his day. He was so lost, so confused and frustrated. Usually he would go to his brother for this kind of problems, but seeing that it involves Hebe Tian, Aaron thought it would be best to not get Chun involved. As for Hazel, she doesn’t need to know about Hebe and vice versa. These two women don’t need to know of each other’s significance in Aaron’s life, past or present.

Aaron speed up his car again, and continued to let the cool wind kiss his skin. He has been driving aimlessly around the city for almost an hour, and yet he could still feel the emotions in him, unsettling. Finally, he couldn’t take it anymore and stopped the break abruptly, parking on a random side road. Aaron slammed his forehead on the steering wheel. He was tired, both physically and mentally.

“Who told you I left you, left you for someone else. Aaron, I told you before I left.” Hebe’s words replayed vividly in Aaron’s memory bank over and over again. It was like a death riddle that he couldn’t figure out, and as each second passes by a portion air was taken away from him, forbidding him to breathe. Was she just ing with his mind, or did he miss something?

Lifting his head from the steering wheel, Aaron ran his fingers down his hair and glimpsed outside his car window; he was in the area of a friend’s company, and a name lit in his head. Aaron got out of his car, and pulled out his phone to text.

To: My love, Hazel
From: Aaron

Hey, something came up so I had to go back to the company. I’m sorry. We might have to cancel our dinner tonight. I’ll call you when I’m done with work okay. You know I love you.

-Aaron

To: Aaron
From: My love, Hazel

It’s okay! (: Work is more important. We can eat next time. No worries hubby.

Love,
Your Hazel ^^

Aaron smiled at his girlfriend’s cute reply and slid his phone back into his pocket before entering a luxurious building. The businessman took the elevator to the top floor, and stopped in front of luxuriant oak wood door. The secretary was going to stop the intruder; however, stopped when she noticed the identity of the intruder, Aaron Yan. Aaron pushed open the door and entered the spacious room.

Outside the door was a label tag, Chief Financial Officer, Calvin Chen.

“Sup.” Aaron allowed himself around the luxurious officer as if it’s his own, and headed towards the wine shelf.

Calvin, who was studying some documents on his computer stared at his new arrived guest in a brief surprise. “Yes you may enter, and welcome.” Calvin stated sarcastically, noting that Aaron just barged in his office. The CFO rise from his armchair and joined his guest on the couch.
“So what brings you here?” Calvin accepted a glass of wine from Aaron, “Thanks.”

“Nothing much, we haven’t drink together for a long time.” Aaron stated lamely.

“That is some bull reply. I expect more from you.” Calvin took a sip of his wine and gave Aaron a knowing glance. The two met through a business meeting a few years back, and has since became good friends who could carry conversations of heart to heart.

Aaron glanced at his friend and smirked before taking a big finishing gulp of his wine. “No wonder you’re the chief financial officer.” Aaron poured himself another glass of the red alcohol, “She came back.”

Mimicking his friend, Calvin also refilled his glass, “Who?”

“My ex.”

“You have a lot of ex.” Calvin rolled his eyes.

Aaron stared at Calvin, expecting his friend to finally catch ‘which ex’ he was talking about.

Widening his eyes, it seems like Calvin finally got on the same wavelength as Aaron. “The one that dumped you for another guy?”

“That was a very nice statement.” Aaron’s words were sour.

Calvin chuckled before patting his friend on the back. “Sorry man. But so, I thought you were over her.”

“I was.”

“Then, what’s the problem?”

“The problem is that she came back like nothing happened, nothing went wrong.” Exasperation was heard in Aaron’s voice, “And then she asked me why didn’t I ask for an apology, and stating that she never left me, never left me for an other man.” Aaron sighed in exhaustion. “ Who told you I left you, left you for someone else. I told you before I left. That was what she said to me.” Aaron looked at his friend for help.

Calvin held the neck of his glass, and let his friend’s words process into his system thoroughly. “If you’re over her, you shouldn’t be bothered by this.”

“You of all people know that I’m over her, I have Hazel now.” Aaron corrected his friend. “I was just angry at her words. It was so evident that she had left me for another man, everyone acknowledges that; yet, she came telling me that she didn’t, and she had informed me before she left. What kind of BS is that!” Aaron grabbed a bottle of wine, and chugged the liquid down his through rapidly.

While all Calvin did was sat there and enjoyed his glass of wine. They understand each other, and he knew that it’d be useless stopping Aaron from finishing the entire bottle of wine. The man needs the alcohol.