Chapter Four

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
Chapter four

“So how long have you known Hebe?” Selina asked Genie as the two strolled around from piece to piece—the photographer’s talent and masterpieces of course enthralled Genie.

“A couple of years by now, five or six maybe. How about you?”

“Time spent together wise, around five or six just like you, but technically fifteen.” A split second of solemnness flashed cross Selina’s face at her last word. “Didn’t she talk about her past with you? You two seem really close.” Selina began her investigation on Genie, as she knew that it would be hard to learn things from Hebe herself.

Genie shook her head, “No, she barely talks about it, and I had learned not to pray.” The assistant lost herself into the space for a moment—reminiscing before she continued, “She was really broken when I first met her. She was like a walking shell without her soul.” Realizing that she had spoken too much Genie stopped quickly and smiled at the photographer. “I love this piece, it’s captivatingly soulful.”

“Thank you.” Selina smiled back politely, she knew Genie didn’t want to continue on, and she understands. It wasn’t the assistant’s story to tell anyway, and Selina doubt the assistant would know much. However, Genie’s statement had imprinted itself in Selina.

Hebe Tian broken? She shouldn’t be; she had everything, too much of everything. Selina’s heart clenched. What happened?

“S!” the photographer and assistant gave their attentions to Ella, who was quickening her steps towards them, linking arms with Hebe. Selina was surprised, but delighted. “There you guys are. Did you know what kind of hell we went through trying to look for you two?”

Genie’s eyebrows crinkled together in confusion, whereas Selina and Hebe chuckled at Ella’s exaggeration.

“She was joking,” Hebe elaborated for her confused assistant, “with too much exaggeration.” The novelist’s last part earned herself an elbow on the waist from Ella. “ow! Ella!” whined the novelist.

“You deserved it.” Ella’s eyes twinkled with tease.

“Quit it you two. Act your own age.” Despite the purpose of her words were suppose to be stern, the glowing smile on the photographer made her words lost its authorities—not that it has any to begin with.

Twinkles of glee sparkled in the three old friends’ eyes, and the huge grins that plastered on their faces were so genuine and glad; making people around them smiled unconsciously as well—their joy was contagious like that. That explained the unreasoned grin on Genie’s face, as an outsider of the three women’s friendship, the assistant who was clueless of all inside events, had thought if she didn’t know better, she’d think that they’ve finally made up after a huge fight. Which is true, but the assistant doesn’t know.

“Found you.” Chun interrupted, hugging his wife from behind and nuzzled on her collarbone. Ella returned the same favor with a slight kiss.

“Please, no make up sessions allow in my gallery.” Selina made a face; she had to stop the married couple before they take their hormones to another level. She was sure they would if she doesn’t voice her dismay. Genie and Hebe giggled.

“Oh shut up. You’re just jealous that you can’t get some.” Ella wriggled her eyebrows. Selina’s orbs rounded in shock, then quickly made another face, Genie and Hebe cracked up. While, Chun, being the only male in the group stared at Hebe. Why is she still here, and laughing?

The group continued to chat despite Genie’s involvement and, Chun’s slightly-shown aversion towards the novelist, everything was just like the old times. Not long, it was finally time for the star of the show, Selina to make her speech. As the photographer made her speech of gratitude, her favorite pieces, and the meaning and inspirations behind a few specific pieces—she was glowing like a star up there with her microphone. The entire auditorium listened in memorization

Following the closing of Selina’s speech, the gallery continued as before merrily until the end of the event—early evening. After everyone had left, the group also took their leave out of the high school. Leaving the event organizer staffs to clean up—after all, they had paid generously for the services.

While Selina, Ella and Chun wrapped themselves with their warm wool trench coats, Hebe and Genie wrapped their own cardigans tightly to themselves, slightly shivering. Time had saturated Hebe’s memories of Taiwan’s cold evenings during this time of the year. As the four women and one man strolled across the parking lot, Selina and the married couple heading toward each other’s respective vehicles, which are parked right next to each other, they then realized Hebe and Genie are without their vehicles.

“Hebe, where’s your car?” Selina stopped the novelist who was attempting to cross the parking lot and hail a cab with Genie.

“She can’t even drive in the arcade without dying after 3 seconds,” Genie began spilling Hebe’s ‘darkest’ embarrassment, “I don’t think you want innocent people to die because of her inability to control the steering wheel.” Genie was making fun of her!

“Genie! No I do not! I’m very much capable of driving!” Hebe began to defend herself, but the fluster on her cheeks had betrayed her, “I just don’t want to learn, because of my love for nature. Public transportation reduces the pollution you know.”

“Sure Hebe, what a nature lover you are. We get it.” Mischievous teasing was obvious from Ella’s so-call agreement to her novelist friend. Hebe flustered more, and the other three laughed their butts off.

Suddenly, a dragged out ‘beeps’ came from Chun’s car reminded the four women that they were suppose to be getting home instead of chit chatting in the cold. Plus, Chun seemed annoyed and impatient by having to wait so long for his wife to finish her useless chat. There’s something call phones ladies!

“Shut up! I’m coming!” Ella turned her head and hollered at her annoying husband, who was still pressing on the horn. “Anyway, I’ll get going now. Men.” Ella turned her attention back to her girlfriends, and rolled her eyes, “I’ll call you guys okay.” Finally, she spun her heels and jogged to the car where her husband is.

After watching Ella disappeared into the car, and slapped Chun on the arm, Selina turned to the shivering Hebe and Genie. “C’mon, I’ll give you two a ride.” Selina laughed, “I don’t think you’ll be able to survive until the cab comes.”

“Go! Go! Go!” Hebe and Genie quickly pushed the photographer, both dying to get into the warm and cozy car. They honestly don’t like cabs, seeing that cab drivers are usually too cheap to turn on the heater. From their experiences of course.

Laughter of the three women erupted from the exiting car.

------------------------------------------------------

“Where should I drop you guys off at?” Asked the photographer as they entered the freeway. Genie told Selina the name of the hotel that they were staying at, while Hebe busied herself with Selina’s intact radio. “You’re still staying at a hotel?” the photographer was surprised, not only was it financially non-friendly, but given the time that the time her two friends had came back, they should’ve at least moved into an apartment or something.

“Yeah, but today will be the last. We’re moving in our condo tomorrow.” Hebe began flipping through one of Selina’s photo books.

“Where did you find that?”

“Under the seat. Let me guess, you thought you lost it.” There was pride in the novelist’s voice for pin pointing her photographer’s failed action.

“Do you guys need help with buying furniture?” Refusing to let the novelist get the best of it, Selina changed the topic smoothly.

“That. I made sure the condo comes as a full house.” The assistant added. Neither her or Hebe is a fan of organizing, and moving—they preferred to have everything done for them.

“But don’t you want to decorate your own home?” Selina suggested; she was obviously not pleased with her two friend’s lack of effort for their home. She might’ve matured and changed over the years, but once a fashionista forever a fashionista.

“No.” the novelist and assistant replied simultaneously.

“Fine. But we definitely need a house warming party. I don’t take ‘No’ as an answer by the way.”

“We provide the place, and you plan it.” Hebe is not going down without a fight.

“I knew that lazy bone would never leave you.” They had a deal. And Genie couldn’t agree more with the photographer; the novelist can probably win an award for her lazy nature. However, if she had said it out loud, the novelist will retort the same thing back to her.

------------------------------------------------------

“What’s up with you just now? You were never this impatient.” Ella commented on her husband’s previous horning outburst.

“Nothing.” The chairman kept his reply short, and continued to fix his eyes on the road. Ella knew it’s anything but nothing.

“You’re acting like a woman on her monthly right now you know.” Ella is not going to play nice if her husband does not cooperate.

Chun clenched on the steering wheel, he’s already upset with Ella’s sudden out-of-nowhere make up with Hebe, and the insult that she just threw at him really pressed his wrong button; despite Ella doing it on daily basis “I see how bonding with a turns you into a too.” Chun finally exploded and let out his share of venom. They’re not a couple for nothing; if Ella has her venom, Chun definitely has his.

Slightly traumatized, Ella stared hard at her husband, who still refused to look at her. No matter how heated their fight was in the past, Chun would never use such a tone and words on her. Deep inside, Ella knew that she really couldn’t blame Chun, he was just doing his part as a caring brother Aaron, and she is supposed to step down and be an understanding wife. However, Ella is not your typical woman in love, and she’s definitely not the typical wife the media portrayed.

“What is wrong with you Wu Chun!” Ella’s face was painted with angry red, “Who are you calling a you !”

“Do I need to repeat myself? I thought I made my statement clear.” As Ella raised her voice previously, Chun also risen his, “Is it still too complicated for you to understand?”

Oh no he didn’t just imply that she is stupid, “NO YOU DON’T HAVE TO REPEAT YOURSELF! I GET YOUR POINT, STRAIGHT AND CLEAR. APPARENTLY I’M TOO STUPID OF A TO BE A WIFE THAT YOU CAN RESPECT! WE’RE DIVORCING!” Ella snapped, for the stupidest reason ever—obviously not for the first time.

Sounds of screeching tires erupted from the car as Chun stopped the brake and parked them on the side road. Ella’s divorce proposal finally knocked the once-lost -sense out of Chun, and had him realized what irrational acts he had done previously—specifically his choice of words and tone of voice. That is no way a gentlemen and husband should act, according to Chun’s dictionary of life and morals. To have recognized his overreactions and irrational acts, of course the chairman had also took notice of his wife’s anger and temper. It’s going to take more than a sorry to make things up, so they don’t have to go up to their lawyer (for the nth time) and regret last minute (in front of an outsider—lawyer). How embarrassing would that be!

“Ella, why did things become like this? We were fine just a few hours ago.” Although Chun is trying to make amendments here, irritation is still evident in his tired voice.

“You tell me. I thought so too, until a certain someone started to act like a stick was shove up his , and started calling me a stupid .” Yeah, bet your money on Ella Chen Wu to hold onto an argument like that.

“Really Ella, can’t we talk this over? Calmly? I’m sorry I was overrating.” Chun let out a sigh of defeat, “I was just perplexed and frustrated. I’m sorry that I vent my anger on you.”

Ella may be pissed, but she is an adult who has passed her thirties already, she still have that bit of reason in her. She knew that she was being way beyond ridiculous, and only Chun would tolerate such acts. Because he loves her, and he knows that she loves him as well. Despite that, the woman has too much pride in her to let it go soft. “Well, I did ask what the ing was wrong. You wouldn’t tell me back then, will you tell me now that you’ve called me a and maybe implied something more.”

Chun smiled to mentally, and let out a sigh of relief. Ella might still be holding a grudge against the whole “” and what she assumed “stupid” statements, nevertheless she still opened the doors of rational conversation. “Well, I thought we had an mutual agreement about Hebe. And that mutual agreement was still there for the first half of the day, but when I came back for you, it seems like you guys were SHE again.”

Ella wanted to argue that the mutual agreement was only what he had assumed, they never agreed to it verbally; however, that is the purpose of the word ‘mutual’, words are needed. “So I’m being restricted to befriend with certain people now? So, I can only interact with those who you approved?” Her words maybe sound dramatic and exaggerating, but the woman has her reason to say those words.

“No I’m not saying that you can’t make friends. But that’s Hebe Tian, the whole world knows about her ‘good deeds’.” Sarcasm ran at his last two words.

“Not even 1% of Taiwan knows.” Ella rolled her eyes.

“Fine, that was exaggerating. You know what I mean. Aaron is my brother, and you know what she did to him. You witnessed it Ella. Everything, from how he fell to the ground from the highest point. All shattered and emptied; it had taken him a long time and a lot to recovered.”

Ella sighed, she knew exactly what Chun meant, and she is still angry at what Hebe had done to her brother-in-law emotionally. This is also what she fears, for Chun to state it out so detailed, and cruel to her poor mind. Despite that, Ella was deadpanned about her re-found friendship with Hebe, and no one is going to change that. Not even Chun.

“I know, but she is my best friend despite all the years of separation, and the wrongs that she had done.” Her tone began to settle gently to Chun, “I can only be mad at her for so long. And it has been long enough. I will try to talk to her about what she did, but I can’t treat her like anything other than a best friend.”

“But…”

“Look Chun, if you were to be in my position and Aaron was in Hebe’s character. What would you do?”

“You can’t compare it like that! Aaron would never act so heartlessly!”

“If! Just answer the damn question!”

Ella got him there, he wanted to say that he’ll never forgive Aaron for the sake of ‘what is right to do’, but he knows that he’ll probably forgive Aaron; maybe even faster than Ella’s forgiveness towards Hebe.

Taking her husband’s silence as an answer, Ella knew that it’s the end of the conversation. Feeling the need to be the ‘greater’ one Ella decided to change the topic, and hope this conversation won’t be brought back again. “Anyway, do you what month is tomorrow?” Ella glided her fingers up Chun’s face and secured it gently before turning her husband’s head towards herself.

Chun stared at his wife, her eyes were so soft, so gentle, and her smile is the most beautiful that he has ever seen, and those lips… Without saying anything he crashed their lips together. Making up is more than a sorry, it’s all about the make out.

------------------------------------------------------

The sun has long set, working hour has long past, leaving the company empty, dark, and quiet. However; lights were still shinning brightly from a certain CFO’s office, there were two businessmen, and countless emptied wine bottles surrounding the two drunk and knocked men.

Calvin was the first to slowly self-awaken, with a headache. Obviously feeling the headache, he tapped his temple with the palm of his hand before shaking his head—naively hoped that the headache would go away. The next thing, or person at that, he found was a knocked out Aaron Yan next to him. He’s not going to lie; his friend looks like .

“Hey Aaron,” Calvin pushed his friend harshly, without mercy, “wake up.” He then shook him.

“Ugh.” Aaron groaned, and then slowly opened his eyelids. Repeating what Calvin did when he just woke, Aaron then looked at his friend. “What time is it?”

“12.”

“!”

“Yeah you do look like .”

Aaron glared at his friend. “Talk about yourself.”

Calvin let out a laugh at his friend’s smart comeback, and took a look at the emptied wine surrounding them. “Dude, you finished literally half of my collection. I’m so billing you.”

“Whatever.” Using the sofa seat as support, Aaron slowly got up and sat on the sofa—he has been sitting on the floor for too long, his hurts. And Calvin followed as well, the two men’s then left the burning matted-floor, and sat on the sofa’s soft leather seats. “I’m going to stay here tonight, I reeks alcohol.”

“Why am I so thankful that I have a bedroom in my office?”

“You’re lame. I’m going to take a shower.”

“And you’re a !”

While Aaron ‘invades’ his bathroom, Calvin used the time to change out of his suit. Because of the needs to pull all-nighters he had eventually remodeled his office into his second home, but in reality he barely goes him anymore, his office is basically his home. He then took out a bottle of the chilled water from the fridge after he was done changing, and waited for Aaron to finish showering, with the TV open of course.

“Why is there a bra in your bathroom? And what’s with the woman toiletries?” Those were the first things Aaron had to ‘complain’ about his friend’s ‘home’.

“Secretary’s.”

“You banged her?” Aaron raised an eyebrow. He would use the term ‘going out’ if the bra was not in there.

“WHAT! No, she’s married for heaven’s sake!” Calvin exclaimed, “She needs to stay overnight with me sometimes, so I just let her put her stuff in there. And she probably forgot that bra when she spilled a tray of coffee on herself.”

“Oh. Well you need to find yourself someone then.” Aaron commented as he sat next to Calvin, “Living in your office is not considered living.”

“Lecture me when you settle your own love life first.”

“Maybe you don’t need a life after all.”

“Aye, your brother asked me if I’m free from the 15th to the 22nd of next month,” However he changed his mind, and realized that the clock just strike 12 not too long ago, “or this month, and if I do have plans, he told me to cancel them. Do you know have any idea why?”

“15th to the 22nd?” Aaron took the water from Calvin and took a huge gulp down, “I don’t know.”

“So, what am I suppose to do? Cancel all my plans?”

Aaron shrugged his shoulder.

“You not only as a lover, but also as a friend and brother.”

“Watch you damn T.V.”

------------------------------------------------------

After bidding Selina goodbye, Hebe and Genie literally crawled back to their hotel room, they were that tired.

“I’m drained.” Genie moaned powerlessly right after she slammed herself down on the soft and comforting bed.

“Tell me about it.” Hebe also laid herself on the sofa, with her eyes closed out of exhaustion.

The two women stayed still and silent for a good fifteen minutes, before Genie finally pushed herself off the bed, and walked to the kitchen for a glass of water. While she was making her way to the sofa where Hebe is, her eyes caught the calendar, “Oh look, the month ends in a few hours. I can’t believe another month is beginning when I haven’t even been in Taiwan for a month yet.”

Hebe sat up and took a glance at the calendar, “Yeah, how time flashes by.” Her words were slightly melancholy, “I think I need a bath.”

Hebe just got up and walked away like that, without giving Genie a glance. “Okay…” Genie said awkwardly to no specific. “Did I say something wrong?”

---

Hebe allowed water to fill the large bathtub before stepping inside, and let her body sink deep down into the water, leaving only her head above the water. She didn’t bother to turn off the water, instead she let the water overflow out of the tub and goes down the drain that was installed on the bathroom floor.

“Tomorrow is November, no wonder.” Hebe tried to laugh at herself, but the laugh only came out dryly with sadness, she eventually choked, and tears began to flow down her eyes.

All this time, the novelist only lay on the bathtub of water, crying, and more crying, her face wretched in emotional pain. Years of memories came rushing back to her, the joy and the pain that all coincidentally and cruelly occurred in the month of November.

They first met in November; it was the most awkward and embarrassing situation that a girl can run into a guy; a girl running for the bathroom because her period came unannounced.

They met again in November, it was the best situation for a girl to meet a hot upperclassman, it was her first day of freshman year, and she was lost in the enormous high school. With obvious common sense, she asked the first person that she sees for help.

He proposed to her in November, it was the most stupid and lamest way for a guy to propose to a girl, and every girl should say no. They were at a café, the man two tables next to them was proposing to his girlfriend, he saw that and proposed to her as well. She asked him “are you serious?” he said, “Yes, will you?” The girl wanted to kick him, but she said yes and kissed him, with no ring. How unromantic.

Hebe lifted her left arm and held it high, she stared at her ring-less finger and chucked sadly.

And they separated in November, it was the…

She didn’t want to go there, the memory was too painful to recall, but that was also the one piece of memory that will always haunt her forever, and vividly every time. The novelist dropped her arm back into the water, and weep harder.

She was tired, the many years of pain and emotional torment has been eating her alive, she had tried to fight against her inner weakness; however she’s tired, she had allowed her weakness to win over her.

The novelist placed both hands on her stomach, closed her eyes, and slowly her head slide under the water.

---

Genie glanced at the bathroom door and then at the clock, “it’s been almost an hour, why isn’t she out yet?” The sound of running water was still heard; however, there was an ill feeling in her that just won’t settle.

“That’s it! I don’t care if she fly a soap bar at me.” Genie made long strides towards the bathroom door, and flung it open. Welcoming her was the novelist drowned in the water-filled bathtub, “OH MY GOSH! HEBE!”

Genie panicked while rushing to the bathtub and pull the novelist out of the water. “Oh my gosh Hebe, Oh my gosh,” a million thoughts ran in the assistant’s head while tears of worry streamed down her cheeks, and finally after much effort and strength she was finally able to pull the novelist’s head out of the water, putting the novelist in a sitting position. “Oh my gosh Hebe, wake up.” Genie continued to cry, and slapped the novelist’s cheeks softly.

To Genie’s relief, Hebe coughed out water violently, and opened her eyes. “Thank god! You’re okay!” Genie hugged her. “What happened? Are you trying to kill yourself? What am I going to do if you died?” the assistant blabbed all the horrible thoughts she had had while trying to pull the novelist out of the water, and cried more.

Hebe allowed her assistant to ramble, and remained still for the hug, as she herself was realizing many things. Yes it is November, and yes it hurts more than hell, but she still have many reasons to fight it, to live.

Hebe recomposed herself, and brought up her palm to Genie’s back, gently patting it. “It’s okay now, I’m fine.”

Genie pulled away from the hug, and faced Hebe, “Did you cry?” She had spotted the redness and swollenness of the novelist’s eyes.

“What? No, but I know you cried.” The novelist lied smoothly. She got out of the bathtub and wrapped herself in a white rob before heading out of bathroom.

“What happened in there?” Genie also followed the novelist out; instinct tells her that something happened.

“Nothing, I was too tired, and fell asleep.”

“Oh.” The assistant really couldn’t find anything to say to support her instinct, because the novelist’s reason was a pretty legit one. Despite her speechlessly state, her instinct still lingers.