Chapter Seven [PART TWO]

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]
Chapter Seven Part Two

On the next day’s afternoon Calvin and Genie who has became instant good friends went knocking on each of their friends’ doors for a game of beach ball. Since the weather was nice everyone was eager to do something active after a whole day of lazing from yesterday, plus, they really have nothing to lose for the married couple’s idea of “honeymoon trip” was pretty lame to everyone else. They were all grown-ups in their late 20s and early 30s of high status, only the married couple was still carrying a kid in heart.

They started the first game with the women while the men prepare for the beach umbrellas and icebox of cold beverages. The game went on pretty intensively where Hebe who was losing with Selina cheated, and angered the athletic, causing a hilarious chaotic scene. The men finally stepped in to take over the game before the two women rip each other’s hair off even though they were just messing around.

After the men’s game was a game of gender, female versus male despite the involvement of a married couple. The men were in advantage of strengths, whereas the women were in advantage of number.

“15 serving 11!” called Calvin before he spiked the ball over net; the men were leading with 4 points.

There was a struggle of leading points between both sides as one side would catch up while the other side would try to go into leading again, and vice versa.

“18 serving 17” announced Chun before he served.

“20 serving 19, game point!” screamed Genie as she served the ball over to the other side, the women were now leading by one point, and they’ll win if they score this point to make it 21 vs. 19.

The beach ball alternated back and forth from both sides, and neither team got the point yet; they were still at 20 vs.. 19. Breathings were now heavy, and the game was at its ; finally eye contacts were made between the four women, and Ella screamed in pain.

“Ouch! My angle!”

“ELLA!” Chun then neglected the game and was running towards his wife. Right at the moment, Genie spiked the ball over to Chun’s spot hoping to make the game point and win.

“Nice try, but it won’t work!” Calvin saved the ball resulting the point going towards the men; it was then 20 vs. 20.

Everyone then stopped the game as they’ve given up.

“Man, you’re way too whipped.” Calvin patted at Chun who finally realized who was fooled by his wife and almost caused his team’s defeat.

“Aye, hands off! He is supposes to be in love with me.” Ella growled at Calvin for having bad influences on her husband. Everyone laughed watching Calvin put his hands up in surrender.

“That was really cunning of you girls, we almost fell for it.” Aaron comment, “Does all women play nasty like you four?”

“It’s call being strategic.” The novelist kicked the sands at the businessman.

“Nasty to be blunt.” He insisted.

“You!” Hebe then chased after Aaron, leaving the groups to watch them in great amusement.

“It’s still kind of unbelievable to see them as friends again.” Ella commented.

Selina gave a bittersweet smile and murmured, “Yeah…”

“Huh? Why?” Genie who was clueless of the whole ordeal, asked, “Are they not suppose to be friends?”

Everyone looked at her, surprised that the assistant does not know; however, after a second thought everyone just grinned and begin to walk away, “No, they are suppose to be friends. That’s the way it’s suppose to be.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After chasing the businessman for a period of time, the novelist finally managed to tackle the man down, the laughing finally stopped the moment they’re eyes met, she’s on top of him.

Hebe quickly got up, and Aaron followed.

“I think we’ve gotten too far away from them.” The novelist looked back at the trail that they’ve came from. Indeed, the group was no longer visible, and the two of them were almost out of their breaths from the running.

“They probably went back already,” concluded the businessman, “Do you want to go for a walk?”

“Sure.” It was probably around 5 or 6, and signs of the orange horizon are showing, while the beach is emptying with only few people who stayed to enjoy the cool evening breeze and scenery. It is a pretty good time for a walk after the excessive exercise Hebe thought.

Neither of them spoke as they walked side-by-side in silence, the cat has caught their tongues from the tackle. The intimate position was too much for the two to handle for they’re recently re-found friendship from the reconcilement of the ten years worth of scar.

“It has been a really long time since I last exercise this much.” Aaron finally commented.

“Really, why? But same here.”

“I was mostly caught up with work in my office or traveling around for meetings, just never really got the time for it,” he used one hand to pushed back his hair, and Hebe noticed that, he looked good she decided, “Their honeymoon trip is not really that bad I guess.”

“Who was the one that called it lame again?” the novelist laughed.

“You.”

“I did not!”

“Yes you did, you’ve been complaining from the airport to the hotel.”

“You’re getting old, time for a body check grandpa.” The novelist pouted, she still refuse to believe the businessman’s accusation, although that is the truth.

“If I’m getting old then you’re not any younger either granny.” He teased, and she blushed in frustration. When did she allow others to outwit.

“Aye, you used to call me young!”

“Used too, that was in high school.” Silence.

Yes he used to call her young in high school, because she was young. The two could still remember their first encounter vividly. Ella and Chun were 3 year into their relationship, and Chun wanted to give a surprise to his girlfriend for their 3rd year anniversary. So he asked for the helps of his own brother, and his girlfriend’s two good friends, Hebe and Selina.

Hebe and Selina got to the Wu’s mansion early afterschool, and began planning with the their friend’s boyfriend. Mid way through their planning, Aaron suddenly rushed into the door apologizing for his delay. That was the first time the two officially know each other.

After Aaron joined them he then started a conversation with Hebe.

“Hey, you’re Ella’s freshman friend right?”

“What?” Hebe was almost exasperated.

“You’re not a freshman?”

“No!” the angry high school girl glared as her cheeks blushed in embarrassment, how can someone mistaken her as a freshman!

“Seriously Aaron stop the flirting,” Chun joined, “Hebe is a sophomore, she’s a year younger than you.”

“Oh,” Aaron scratched his necked apologetically, “Sorry, you just looked so young, I thought you were a freshman.”

That was a compliment to be proud of; however to Hebe it was not and she ignored him, and it wasn’t until two weeks later that she finally spoke to him again.

The businessman and novelist stared off at the space in the opposite direction of each other as they walk should by shoulder; reminiscing their past moments together.

“Time really flies by huh?” The novelist said gently.

“Yeah, it really did,” the businessman agreed, “We’re already in our 30’s.”

“10 years…”

“mhmm…” he don’t know what to say, and could only hummed. The tensions are beginning to build upon the reminiscing of the two. The conversation was no longer nonchalant.

The novelist also stayed silent as she fixed her hair behind her ear and breathed.

“So…” the businessman didn’t know how to begin his sentence, paused.

“Yeah?”

“You never really told me why you left.” That was it; he had finally brought up the sensitive topic. It needs to be done sooner or later.

After a long silence the novelist finally spoke, “I called you before I left, but you wouldn’t pick up your phone. I even left a message of my new number.” During the first few weeks of her arrival at the foreign country of America she was waiting for him to call her everyday, waiting so desperately. But he never called.

“I never got it.” Everything that she has said was new to him, he never got any missed calls or messages from the woman.

“Cause you never cared,” oh no, she had let her emotions get to her. When he didn’t call back she had thought he didn’t care for her enough, he didn’t care for their relationship. She was angry with the man for not calling. She thought he wanted to break up. After all, it would be a long distant relationship if they were to stay together.

“What do you mean I never cared?” now its time for the man to get frustrated, the novelist is not making any sense, she was the one who apologized when she first came back to the country, and even offered to explain why she had left. Although he had coldly rejected her back then, he has now became more opened minded to the whole ordeal, and finally asked for the explanation that he rightfully deserves. How dare she accuse him like that! Despite all that, the businessman believes that there is some misunderstanding between them, and he’ll be the rational one to be patient about it, “I checked for records of your calls or messages right after I got a new phone to replace my old one; but there was none. I never received them, how can I care Hebe.”

“What are you talking about? Would it really kill your to check your phone before getting a new one!”

The woman is getting way too out of hand, and irrational! “You knew my phone was broken back then, I even used the dorm’s phone to call you about it! How can I receive your calls if I don’t get a new one? And when I finally got a new phone there were no messages!”

She stared at him, taken back. She remembers now, he did tell her that his phone was broken. Why hasn’t she thought of it back then?

“If we’re really arguing about this topic, it would be you’re the who didn’t care enough for the relationship to make the effort of keeping that in mind!”

She froze. Was he correct?

“I was right huh,” Aaron let out a dry angry laugh, he has finally reached his limits, and his patience has run out. After all these times he had questioned himself what did he do wrong to cause the woman to leave without a word, in the end he was making a fool out of himself. He was the only one who cared for the relationship, the novelist never did. He got played. Irritated, he a took a deep breath and glanced around angrily before facing the woman again, “Seriously Hebe, I was your boyfriend, was it really that hard to keep my words in mind?”

No it was not hard, she wanted to say. But she couldn’t find the words to come out of her. What is wrong with her?

“So tell me Hebe, why did you leave?” He tried to calm himself down, but it seems like the most difficult thing to do in the world as of the moment.

The woman remained silent.

The businessman pushed his hair back with on hand in frustration of the woman’s silence, “Really Hebe? You didn’t even take my words into consideration, and bombarded my broken cellphone, which I already told you before hand. And then now ten years later you’re accusing me for not caring enough, but in truths you’re the culprit speaking of your own crimes. I think I’ve had enough of this bull from you to deserve a ing explanation.” He has officially lost his cool, all the emotion that has been bottled up for the past decade is exploding out of the man. It has been in him for way too long; too long that even he himself did not know.

But she still wouldn’t utter a word, she don’t know what to say.

“You know,” he bend towards the woman, creating an extremely close gap between their faces and gave the woman a piercing cold look, “I’m really beginning to believe what Ella had told me. You did run off with someone else.” Actually he had believed it for the past decade, but only decided it was fallacy when he became friends with the woman again. How foolish of him.

“Wait… what?” shocked, she finally began to speak again, “Ella told you?”

“Yes she told me. So it was true?”

“No!” she denied immediately.

“Then tell me what is the truth!” His tone was solemn, yet cold enough to send chills down her spine. She could tell that he is extremely angry.

But she remained silent. She was confused, and some how felt betrayed. How can Ella say something like that about her?

“You know what, I don’t even know if I believe you anymore,” he pressed on, “you were never an innocent one, we all know it. Hebe Tian was known for being cunning, aggressive, manipulative and sarcastic. I’d very much rather believe Ella, my sister-in-law who is also your declared best friend.”

His words drove needles deep into her, it was painful. So that was how he had view her, and the sad thing is, they were probably true. “Who told Ella that?”

“Why are you asking me that question?” He gave her a mocking expression of ridiculous and walked off. Things got sour, the businessman has allowed his anger to take over him for he was not able to talk about this calmly, and the woman’s silence definitely adds to this cause. And the novelist is still trying to digest the betrayal of her best friend. Neither of them was in their right state of mind during this conversation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next two days Aaron and Hebe avoided each other, and did not participate in the group’s activities when one is presented. Strangely it seems like everyone is having too much fun on their own to spot the tension between the novelist and the businessman for they had thought everything was resolved between the two ex-lovers.

After the group’s too-wild swimming session was over everyone went back to the hotel and rest from their extreme activity, while Calvin and Aaron stayed behind at a local shore. There were just some things that are meant to be discussed with a close friend rather than a family member, and Aaron Yan is having one of those moment. Hence that’s why the two men were sitting by the shore with beers.

“Things got sour with her again.” Aaron confessed to his friend.

“Oh,” Calvin thought back to the past two days and finally noticed that the novelist and his friend did indeed haven’t interact with each other, “No wonder you two were barely seen together recently.”

“Yeah.”

“So what happened this time?”

Aaron let out an exhausted and troubled exhale, and opened another can of beer, “I don’t even know myself. We were fine one second, and then things got sour the next minute.” He was having trouble gathering his thoughts, everything was just too frustrating.

“I’m sure it’s more detailed than that.”

“Okay, I thought since we became friends again, real good friends I could finally ask why she left, and get my rightfully deserved explanation that I never got ten years ago.”

“And?”

“And then things got sour, she started accusing me, and I got pissed. I don’t know why I tried control my temper, but it was too explosive.” Aaron turned to his friend, “She told me she called me and left messages before she left. And then she accused me of not caring enough to call her!”

“Is that true?”

“No! I never got her calls or messages. And things finally unfold it self, she was the one who never cared. I had told her that my phone broke, what kind of girlfriend would still call her boyfriend’s cell phone when he already told her that it was broken. I ing got played.”

Calvin who has been listening to his friend’s messy rant, and reason of their misunderstanding found the whole ordeal between the two people to be just plain stupid. That is only his opinion on Aaron’s statement; however, Calvin have other thoughts in mind for he knows a bit of the inside story that others might just don’t know.

“Aaron, don’t you think you care too much about this whole thing with Hebe. She is already your ex, and your past.”

“What are you talking about? Are you saying that I still have feelings for her?” He quickly defended, “Let me clarify this, I don’t. I’m just angry at her actions, at her for playing me.”


“I didn’t say that, you made that assumption,” Calvin looked at his friend with a tone of implication of something, “I’m just judging things by what I see. You two were too close to each other before things ‘got sour’ according to you. And you were doing things that you would not do normally, you were also happier when you’re with her.”

“She was just good friend, and I was just treating her as a good friend.”

“Did Hazel’s existence ever occur to you when you’re with Hebe?” That’s it, Calvin had taken him off guard with this. Hazel.

“Of course she did, she’s my girlfriend.” Lie. Huge lie.

“Good. You already have Hazel, so don’t fret over the past. It’s already the past. And plus, Hebe Tian was never genuine to you,” his last sentence was cold with prejudice towards the novelist, “She was not back then, and will never be. You’re better off to distant yourself from her. Treasure the one who truly loves you, someone who treasures you.” He meant Hazel.

By this time the sun has just set, and they are entering the early night; they were two lonesome men at the shore with beers from the looks of their backs.

At this time, a running Genie approached the two men from far away began yelling for them, “HEY YOU TWO! WE’RE PLAYING TRUTH OR DARE, HURRY AND COME BACK.”

The two men stared at each other, got up and walked towards Genie who was waiting for them on the road.

“Seriously? Truth or Dare? How old are we?” Calvin commented as the three fastened their pace back to the hotel.

“Cliché but the game never gets old.” The assistant grinned happily.

“You seem to love the game.” Calvin observed.

The assistant who couldn’t stop smiling only stuck her tongue out, and Calvin chuckled at the woman’s cute act.

Aaron who is walking blankly next to the two chatterboxes remained quiet the whole entire time. His mind was too occupied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay! Let’s set the rules here first,” Ella slammed a glass bottle in the middle of the circle like a dealer, “ If you can’t answer a truth then you’ll have to do a dare, if you can’t do a dare then you’ll have to do a truth. There is no escaping!”

“How cruel,” Genie made a face, and then smiled quickly, “But I like it.”

“Of course, I’m the game master.”

“Okay, I’ll go first,” Genie spun the bottle with anticipation, and it landed on Selina, “Truth or dare?”

All attentions were at the photographer while she hesitates at her choice, “Truth,” she chose sheepishly, the woman is playing safe.

“BORING!” Ella boo-ed.

“Shut up.” The photographer threw a bag of snack at her rude friend.

“Let see,” the assistant rubbed her chin, trying to think of a good question, “Why did you choose to become a photographer?”

“Interesting, I’d like to know too.” Chun who has been keeping quiet next to his blaring wife finally commented. And everyone in the circle all nodded their heads, this has always been an interesting mystery to them for everyone had thought the photographer’s dream to be successful in the fashion industry.

“What?” the photographer who was not expecting this question was taken back, “I don’t know, it just kind of occurred to me you know?”

“I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking.” The assistant is not going to let the photographer go easily.

“What is the dare?” the photographer tried to negotiate.

“Run down to the front desk and offer a male employee condoms.”

Everyone grinned widely at Genie’s strong dare, and Calvin especially whistled.

“Wow, even I didn’t know you’re this cruel.” The novelist commented.

“You’re next, for always bullying me.” The assistant smiled wickedly at the novelist, everyone laughed while the novelist gulped.

“Ugh…” the photographer obviously found the dare to be too extreme for her to digest finally decided on truth, and she began to dig deep into the past and unconsciously answered wholeheartedly, “Because someone who I love, but can never have loves it. Since I can’t have him, I want to share something significant with him.” A sad smile plastered across the flawless face. “Okay, it’s my turn right?” The bottle spun and pointed at Chun.

“Don’t go easy on him,” Ella who was supposed to defend her husband betrayed him, the group could only laugh humorously at the woman.

“You know I won’t,” the photographer played along, “Truth or dare?”

Chun who had just witnessed Genie’s aggressive dare decided it is probably safer to go with truth for he has some background knowledge of the insanity level of his wife’s friends, “Truth.” And Ella slapped her husband for being a party pooper.

“Okay, So have you ever watched behind Ella’s back during your marriage.” Yes, she had caught him, he will die a horrible death no matter what answer he gives. If he no, no one would believe him and Ella will probably become paranoid and annoy him for the rest of his life, and if he say yes. The out come is just as bad.

“He did.” Before Chun could answer for him self he was betrayed by his good friend Calvin who only smiled charmingly at him, while his wife glares at him.

“This game is going no where, I think we should stop.” Chun who could feel his wife’s flaring fume increasing by the milliseconds wanted to stop the game and have some alone time with her before she explodes in front of everyone.

“I AGREE!” Hebe quickly raised her hand in agreement since she is still threatened by Genie’s earlier declaration.

“Aye! Don’t even try!” Genie slapped the novelist’s arm down.

“I do agree that this game is getting boring, how about we play something else.” Surprising Calvin came to the rescue, “How about the Never have I game?”

In the end each person was given a can of beer, as they begin the Never have I game, starting with Calvin who suggested the game, “Never have I been jobless since college graduation.”

Everyone drank except for Hebe and Genie who had their shares of struggles when living in America.

“Never have I been a businessman.” Genie smirked as she watched the three businessmen drink.

“Never have I been in a relationship.” Selina who was next stated and the whole circle took a gulp of their beers.

The game continues on for a few rounds with laughters and surprises while the group already killed 5 packs of beers, and finally it was Ella’s turn whose plans on making everyone drink, “Never have I had .”

“Really Ella, gee.” Aaron who was speechless lifted his can and drank for it, and everyone also did. Except for Genie who blushed like a ripped tomato.

“OH MY GOSH GENIE!” Ella who had obviously saw that the assistant was the only one who did no drink began to make an ordeal out of it, “You’ve never done it?”

The assistant’s blush on deepened than it already was as she remained quiet, how embarrassing!

“Aww, my innocent little assistant,” the novelist also joined Ella’s bully and teased the poor .

“Shut up,” the assistant barked, and glared competitively at Ella, “Never have I married.”

“Oh ho!” Calvin cheered once again, impressed with the assistant’s wits, but it meant much more as he smirked while watching the novelist.

“Girl you ,” Ella commented as she and her husband drank their beer. The question was obviously pinpointed at those two for everyone in the room is known to be still single.

However; to everyone, even Genie’s surprise Hebe Tian also drank her beer. The novelist made sure to stare straight into Selina Ren’s avoiding eyes while she finished the beer in one shot. She is making her message clear.

“What? Since where are you married? To who?” Genie began to question combatively. The assistant was not the only one who wants to ask the question, everyone else did too. This has marked the end of the game for the playful mood quickly turned into tension, while Aaron quickly got up and left the room. He made sure to slam the door violently shaking the entire room. While, Chun and Ella just stared at the novelist; the married couple don’t know how to react, especially Ella who had made an enormous effort to bring everyone together. Apparently this bond breaks here.

“A long time ago, we divorced before I met you.” The novelist answered nonchalantly, she expected this reaction, but she didn’t care. Perhaps the argument with Aaron triggered something in the novelist, “Anyway, I think this game ended. I’ll go back to my room now. Good night guys.”

“HEBE!” Ella shouted after the novelist, but it was in vain, because the woman only exited the room without turning back.

“I’m kind of tired too.” The photographer too, left, following with Calvin and Genie.

After everyone has left, it was only Chun and Ella alone. Ella cuddled to her husband’s muscular arms, “Chun, why did everything turn out to be like this?” The woman asked weakly, she was tired, stressed, and emotionally drained. All her efforts gone into waste, “I forced them into this trip hoping for everyone to bond, and to find back the friendship with Hebe. But why did this happen? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, you didn’t do anything wrong. You’re perfect.” The CEO kissed his wife gently on the forehead and comforted the devastated woman into sleep while his heart ached to witness his love to be tangled into such unnecessary stress just for a friend, a friend who he does not approve of. The man clenched with anger, but he knew that he must hold his anger down for the happiness of the woman whom he loves. The woman who is sleeping in his arms; He will support her unconditionally, no matter what she does.