Chapter Fourteen

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]

 

Chapter 14

After Genie’s awakening she had to extend her stay at the hospital for another week for further examination to ensure everything is healthy about her; and today is the young woman’s big day, she’s finally permitted to be discharged! Supposedly, Hebe and Aaron were suppose to come help her pack, and pick her up, but the two were caught up with some last minute changes for the company’s anniversary party slash their engagement party, which explains why Genie is packing her things into the hand carry bag in solitary. Not that Genie minds, in fact, she is glad that they didn’t come, because for one, she is still having a hard time digesting the fact that Hebe and Aaron got together in a span of just a few months, and is actually getting engaged in a few weeks! Though, of course, she is also happy for them, especially for Hebe to have finally found her happiness, hence, she don’t want them to lose their valuable ‘flirting’ times together for her; but then again, they have their whole lives to enjoy that time. Nevertheless, it’s good to have some time alone—Genie felt.

Genie who was overly focused with packing, finally had her attentions diverted when two knocks were sounded from the doorway, Calvin was leaning on the door frame, smiling at her, “Do you need help with that?” for a second Genie thought the man sounded sultry—just for a second.

“Hey,” she smiled back, “Why are you here?” and ignored his question with another question.

“Aaron felt bad for stealing Hebe from you,” His long legs advanced a few steps and stopped next to her, “And so here I am, replacing Hebe for him.” His grin grew wider as he helped her put things into the bag, “If that make any sense at all.” He added with a laugh.

Genie couldn’t help but chuckled, “It makes no sense,” she shake her head, “But thanks for coming anyway, even though you don’t have to.” She concluded the packing by putting one last piece into the bag and zipped it, while Calvin caught her off guard by grabbing the bag’s two handles.

“No, I want to,” He shared an eye contact with her as he lifted the bag from the bed, “Is this everything?” He asked while carrying the bag the door.

“Yeah.”

“Okay, let’s go then. There would be traffics if we don’t leave now.” He’s right, it’s almost noon, and people are getting off work for lunch and other miscellaneous activities.

“ ‘Kay!” she jogged a few steps to close in their distance, and the two then headed out of the hospital; Genie don’t want to be back ever again.

There was not an awkward moment or even a split second of silence between the two during their time together as conversations were endless between them, and they just finished a random topic of coffee, “Speaking of coffee, the nurse told me you’ve made me frequent visits during my coma.”

“How does that connect with coffee?” Calvin laughed, amused, as he drove into the freeway.

“She sneaked me coffee after I’ve bugged her day and night,” the young woman smiled cheekily.

“You drank coffee when you’re prohibited?”

“It’s not recommended.”

“In other words, prohibited.”

Genie stuck out her tongue and shrugged, “I’m still alive aren’t I?”

“Yes, you’re alive,” his voice turned breathy and husky in great relief, “Thank god you’re alive.” His grip tightened around the steering wheel.

“Hey…” Genie watched the man with concern, “it’s okay.”

“It’s not okay!” Genie jerked at the man’s sudden sternness, “I’m-I’m sorry. Did I scare you?” He quickly apologized, and refocused his attention on the road with a tempered expression plagued across.

“No, it’s fine,” She was calm and gentle.

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” confused, she stared at him.

“If only I hadn’t insist on taking care of some last minute quick situations at the bank you wouldn’t be in there when everything happened, and—“

“Hey, don’t blame yourself for it. No one expected for everything to happen, and plus, I was the one who insisted on going in there with you. If there were really someone to blame that would be myself, not you.”

“No, what I had to take care of would only take a minute or two, it was only a signature. I should’ve been more firmed and made you stay in the car; then everything else wouldn’t have happened.” In truths, Calvin knew Genie was right, there’s no one to blame because neither of them expected that robbery to happen; but his guilt for her includes a lot of other things such as his attempt to whirl her into his now-failed scheme, and to manipulate her feelings. His approach toward her was never a genuine one, yet he received the purest and warmest approach from her. It is a feeling he could never describe with words, but to only suffer from within; and it is also this feeling that has truly slapped him conscious out of his stubborn perspectives.

“Okay fine, if you insist then let’s make you feel better.” Genie smiled encouragingly.

“And how?”

“Do something for me, and we’ll call it a tie.” She bargained.

“What?”

“How broad is your connection?”

“Pretty broad.”

“Internationally.”

“I can still pull some strings.”

“Then this should be a piece of cake for you.” She smiled.
-
-
-
-
-

“Are you sure Calvin is interested in Genie?” Hebe who’s reading a book rested her head on Aaron’s shoulder naturally, while the businessman typed rigorously on his laptop.

“I’ve never been so sure in my life,” he paused, “other than the fact I want you as my wife,” His head turned and smiled at her, mesmerized.

A divine of happiness was inevitable on the novelist’s grinning face, she dropped her book and wrapped her delicate arms around the businessman’s neck, “Are you sure I want you as my husband?” she teased.

“Only I would want you, of course you’d want me.” He shifted the laptop aside, “unless you want to be forever alone.” He played along.

“Hey!” the woman blushed, and slapped her boyfriend, but laughed heartily.

“You’re stuck with me for life.” He pulled her into his lap and captured her lips.

“I can’t believe this happening.” Her glittering eyes dwell into his, voice so sultry and thick like chocolate fountain sweetening his world whole, “After so many years we can still be together like this.” Her delicate fingers brushed along his thick eyebrows gently, “Life is actually fair this time around.”

He ruminated at her for a long span, and hugged her tightly; just embracing her like that in silent, tightly, to make sure everything before him is real and genuine. He has been too happy for these few months with her that the feeling of surreal would still knock at his door of doubts every now and then.

“Aaron?” Hebe finally spoke, finding her boyfriend’s sudden silence to be odd.

“Just let me hold you like this, in silence. We haven’t done this in a long long time.” His eyes closed and he rested his chin on her shoulder, noticing her unique body fragrance, “I want to make sure you’d never disappear. I want you to be with me. Just like this. Forever.”

The novelist smiled, and rest in his embrace. She actually quite likes this, just to be in his embrace in silence and enjoying each other’s heartbeat and breathings. It’s just the two of them. Together.

Perhaps it’s the overly happy anxiety of finally tying the knots with the woman in his embrace, there is a pint of indescribable insecurity weighing in him that makes him sought to hold the woman even tighter, like she is going to disappear the next second. They call this paranoia, or even just nervous.

After all, he is engaging Hebe Tian, and just one more step before they get married. Then, she’ll be completely his, for lifetime.

-
-
-
-

Finally.

The day of their engagement has arrived.

The afternoon sunlight graced from above, almost as sign of congratulate to the couple that just stepped out of a coffee shop hand in hands. The party doesn’t start until the evening, thus, they spent the time before that for their usual dates, and of course squeezing some time in between for preparation; but that comes in later.

“Hm… why does today feel so special?” the novelist clung onto her boyfriend’s arm in a loving gesture as she breathed the warm afternoon air, “I feel exceptionally happy today.” The dazzling smile never left her.

“I wonder why.” He laughed. They both knew very well of the bliss today would bring them; however, it’s their little game to indirectly bring it up, yet never mentioning it. Today is the day of Aaron and Chun’s family company’s anniversary party, but also Aaron and Hebe’s engagement party; which is a secret to their guests. They are going to surprise the world, and break all of Taiwan’s women’s hearts. Aaron Yan, Taiwan’s most sought after bachelor would be officially taken and announced after today.

“Hey, I want our wedding cake to be chestnut.” She commented out of the blue, “And you have to eat it. A LOT!” she added assertively.

“You can’t be serious.” He made a face, but that glow of paradise was radiant around him.

“Admit it, you like it too. I caught you stealing a bit of my cake last week.”

He’s caught, “I didn’t,” but there is also no way he’ll admit that. Aaron Yan is a prideful man, even in situations like this, against Hebe Tian.

“Whatever. Keep telling yourself that.” She made a face, he was about to say something, but was interrupted by a phone called. They stopped walking for him to take the call; she doesn’t know whom he’s talking to or what the phone call is about, but from the looks of things they would have to part. It’s a phone call of issue for him to tend, “Who is it?” she asked after his phone call ended.

“Calvin. Something came up; I have to go see him right now. Where are you meeting Ella? I’ll drive you there first.”

“No it’s fine, just go. I’ll just have Ella come here.” She tipped toed and kissed him, “I think she’s around the area anyway.”

“Okay then, I’ll see you later. Surprise me with your beauty.” His signature smile with his last sentence.

“I do that everyday don’t I?” They exchanged one last kiss before he walked off. She pulled out her IPhone to call Ella as she watch the businessman’s back minimize into his black car, and finally the vehicle drove away just when Ella picked up on the other line, “Where are you?” the novelist demanded immediately.

It turned out Ella was in the next district, but she neglected the fact that Selina was also present with her; She and Selina both decided Hebe doesn’t need to know that. Ella and Selina bid each other goodbyes before Ella drove to the bookstore that Hebe was waiting at. The woman arrived in a relatively short period of time; however, that is of course under the circumstances of breaking multiple traffic laws, but Ella Chen is never one to follow the rules. Rules are made to be broken after all, according to her. While they were at the book store, Hebe purchased a few books that she found interesting, and also introduced a few of her own books to Ella, and asked, but forced is a much more fitted vocabulary, her best friend to read them. It never harms to gain another fan, and consumer. They headed to the salon for their evening makeup and hairdos after the bookstore haul; by the time they arrived at the salon there were only two to three hours left before the party, hence everything was done in quick agility. Although the wedding day would be Hebe’s most important day of her life, that day has yet to come; so today would mark her most important day up to date, hence everything needs to be perfect, especially herself.

Genie arrived to meet up with them just a little before Hebe’s hair was done, and the two women took an extravagant limo together to the party’s location. Genie who has yet to adjust to the lives of Taiwan’s elite was in shock when she arrived before the antique Victorian like hotel, also where the party is being held. There was a crowd of limos and luxurious branded cars parked before the fancy entrance, with men dressed in expensive well tailor tuxedos linking arms with their beautifully gowned female partners stepping out of the vehicles. The scene was so exclusive and extravagant just like it was popped out of a drama, and the young woman never thought she’d be one to witness such prodigal scene in real life, or to even be part of one! Hebe who noticed the daze of her sister grinned secretly, and led the young woman up the stairs of red carpet. Unlike the rest of the guests, the three women did not enter through the main entrance; instead two butlers who led them inside the antique building through another entrance. It is illogical for them to enter like guests when they are intimate family of the party’s host. The first person they met up with when they got inside the hotel was Chun, whom was waiting in a resting room especially prepared for the family.

Chun exchanged intimate greetings with his wife before turning to his soon to be sister-in-law, Hebe, “Where’s Aaron? I thought you two would be coming in together.”

“Calvin called him this afternoon. They are probably coming together after they settled whatever that needs to be settle.”

Chun only nodded in acknowledgement, “Oh by the way, Selina was here early. Do you ladies want to go out for a reunion?” Chun who was still oblivious of the tension between Selina and Hebe received two stomps from his wife’s killer heels, and cringed in pain. Ella never talked to her husband about Selina and Hebe’s cracked friendship for the reason the scheme behind is too dark and heavy to digest; she just felt it’s not something she should bring into her marriage, even when it’s just a conversation to discuss about.

“Babe, why don’t you go out and greet the guests. It’s ill-mannered for the host to be gone.” Ella quickly shooed her troublemaking husband out. Hebe Tian was expressionless, and she made no effort to hide it, “Sorry H, this party was publicized as the company’s anniversary party, and S is a partner and well-known public figure, so we have to invite her.” Ella is speaking the truth, but not the entire truth. She would invite Selina even if this were Hebe’s wedding ceremony, because she knew despite the traumatic crack between her two friends they still cared deeply for each other, and they’d wish to witness each other’s moment of life happiness. She can’t mend their friendship, but she can do this much, to let them care for each other in secrets.

“Let’s go out, I think it’s time for us to steal the spotlights!” Hebe who ignored everything just happened, and everything that Ella had said, masked an expression of joy. She is not going to let her mood sour, definitely not tonight.

Ella and Genie both forced a hesitant smile and followed the excited novelist out of the resting room, and made their appearance at the party. Although Genie doesn’t know the details, but she did figured the slight changes between Selina and Hebe. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that much out, especially if you’re a woman.

-
-

The party has been going on for quite awhile, while Chun, Ella, Hebe, and Genie has also greeted countless people, and engaged in more than enough useless conversations.

“Where’s Aaron?” Ella asked for the second time, she’s becoming anxious by now because it’s almost time for the brothers to make their speeches of the night, “Did you call him?” she turned to Hebe who was as calm as ever.

“Yeah, I texted him, but he didn’t reply me yet. He’s probably on his way.” The novelist replied with confidence that is in her tone and also in her boyfriend. She trusts him with all her heart for him to arrive in time.

The ballroom suddenly out, “,” and a whisper of curse escaped from Ella’s lips. It was time for the brothers to make their speeches. The MC held the stage for a good 30 minutes by giving a brief history background of the company and showing videos and slide shows; which calms Ella’s anxiety a bit, but not much. Because soon, Chun was called up there to give his speech, meaning Aaron is next after, but the younger brother is nowhere to be found! What irritates Ella more is that the novelist who is suppose to be ten times more anxious than her is actually calm as ever!

After Chun made his speech which obviously includes how much he loves Ella, the microphone returns to the MC who would be doing the transition and inviting Aaron to speak, and that’s when the problem comes in. No one walked up that stage, “Please welcome our CEO, Aaron Yan to give us a speech.” The MC tried for the third time, by now the ballroom was in murmurs almost silence while people wait with confusion.

Finally, the two big premium oak wood doors pushed open, entering Aaron Yan. Everyone clapped and made a pathway that leads up to the stage for the man, and he walked it with great authority and control. While Ella finally breathed in relief, Hebe smiled at her boyfriend, full of love. She knew he was going to come; it’s a mutual and trust connection that you have when you’re in extremely in love, because that is when your souls connect.

“First of all, I’d like to apologize for my tardy, and thank you everyone of you to attend our company’s anniversary party. We thank you for your continuous support, and we wouldn’t make it to where we are today without the supports of our friends, families, alliances, and employees…” his speech of that form continue for a good three minutes, as he was speaking up there never once did he smile, instead his expression only become more and more solemn, “And finally, before I end my speech here I’d like to make an announcement regarding whom I’d spend my future with. This party is no only an anniversary party; it is also an engagement party for my girlfriend and I.” All his audiences smiled in anticipations as they waited for him to continue, with Hebe Tian smiling the brightest and sweetest, “I’d love to invite the woman of my life to stand up here with me; however, she wasn’t able to attend this party today due to some inconveniences,” smiles remained to be majority of the room with the exception of a few, especially Hebe Tian who was in the greatest shock and confusion of her life. What is he talking about? She is standing right there! Right in front of him! “But I’d still like for this party to continue as an engagement party, and to introduce her to the public. This woman who stole my heart is by the name of Hazel He.” After his speech Aaron made his closing, and walked away the stage with a dark face, and his hands balled into a fist. While the party continued, he did not bother to stay and enjoy the extravagance; instead he exited out to the halls.

Hazel He? Hazel He? Hazel He?

That name repeated in Hebe as she stare soullessly at the stage, where Aaron had stood while saying that name. Genie and Ella, who were also tremendously confused tried calling Hebe out of daze, but failed which worries them more. The novelist did hear them, but her body overall wouldn’t allow her to respond to them. As if all the nerves and tissues in her body froze, leaving her expressionless, while tears were bottling up in her, getting ready to bawl out; yet they were stuck at instead of streaming out of her eyes, and blocking her larynx to produce any sound of voice. It was a feeling she could never describe with words even if she wants to put it into words for novels, perhaps the best she could describe it is, her world has crumbled and soul lost, shattered.