Chapter Fifteen & Epilogue

To Shatter A Heart Breaker [Completed]

This chapter is my longest yet (with 18 word document pages), which also took me longer to write, hence I'm exactly three hours behind my promised deadline.

I'm not the best writer when it comes to endings, I'm probably one of the worst. It was interesting to read the many guesses you guys made through the comments; however, I'd have to say, this chapter is far from any of your guesses. In which I hope you won't be disappointed.

I now present to you with the finale of To Shatter a Heart Breaker!

Enjoy!

--------------------------------

CHAPTER 15 + Epilogue

The anxious Genie and Ella were getting more frightened as they watch the paralyzed the novelist who is dwelling a whole at the stage with her stares, she was almost like a mannequin. Genie who was at the maximum of her bundle of nerves was finally in hot tears as she continued to call her sister’s name, while Ella who was not any better than Genie was gripping hard on Chun’s arm to relief her overabundance angst.

“Why,” Genie and Ella’s breathings hitched in abrupt when Hebe finally mumbled a dried husky whisper, they don’t know what to expect from the novelist’s tone, “Why?” the novelist breathed again, her dull orbs pierced at Chun and then shifting from Ella to Genie, “Why?” she asked continuously. While staring at the stage, the moment of Aaron’s speech replayed in Hebe Tian’s visions like a black and white video clip continuously; during the time she tried to question herself, why did Aaron Yan do that? What and where went wrong?

“Hebe!” a sharp hail escaped from both Genie and Ella when the novelist suddenly shifted her heels, heading for the exit in which Aaron departed through; Genie and Ella jogged after the dreary novelist, with Chun also following after the women.

Hebe Tian may seem like she’s wondering aimlessly; however, she’s not, she’s heading towards Aaron Yan, and she know he is just right behind those door. She could feel his presence just right behind those red luxurious doors, and she is going to ask him why. Why did he sentence her death up there? They were fine this morning; everything was perfect, so why did he say ‘Hazel He’ instead of ‘Hebe Tian’? There’s too big of a difference for mistake, and the novelist has more than enough IQ to not lie to herself. On her way towards the exit she began to reminisce their times time together.

“You’re stuck with me for life.” He pulled her into his lap and captured her lips.

He was the one that declared that they would be together for a lifetime, and she could still remember the butterflies fluttering in her when he said that, so why did he kill those butterflies just now? She needs to ask him.

“Just let me hold you like this, in silence. We haven’t done this in a long long time.” His eyes closed and he rested his chin on her shoulder, noticing her unique body fragrance, “I want to make sure you’d never disappear. I want you to be with me. Just like this. Forever.”

She wants to be with him forever to, and she was planning to, but he just ended forever with two words, a name that is not her name. Why?

Her mien was impassive as she was nearing the doors, one would expect rivers of tears streaming down from her eyes, but she appeared to be calm and there is no trace of tears on her face.

Her well-manicured hands pushed the heavy door open, “Why,” she asked monotonously, her dull orbs pierced straight at the distressed Aaron Yan who quickly recomposed himself from leaning against the rich textured white wall.

By this time Genie, Ella and Chun has also arrived, and Aaron Yan was faced with four pairs of eyes who were all waiting for him to speak, but the man only stared and remained mute.

“ANSWER ME AARON YAN! WHY?” Hebe finally lost all the controls she had bottle inside her, and screamed with a holler that could shake, making everyone jerked in bewilderment.

“Hebe…” Genie’s soft words tried to calm her ferocious sister, but the novelist shunned out the existence of everyone but Aaron Yan, her eyes and attentions were only locked at him. Having been ignored by Hebe, Genie could only diverted her attention back at Aaron Yan, and glare deadly at the man. She also wants an explanation from the man, and has every desire to physically attack him, but with Hebe in presence it is not her place to take any action.

“Can we talk about this in private?” Aaron finally spoke somberly.

“Why,” Hebe Tian insisted for an explanation, her tone was just as grave.

Aaron Yan took a heavy breath, “I thought I love you, but you’ve corrected my feelings when you went up to Hazel and assaulted her. Your attempt to kill did not guarantee my feelings to stay with you, instead it made me realize who is the one that I truly care for.” His ball of fist clenched.

“What are you talking about?” the novelist was as confused as ever.

“Don’t play dumb! You met up with Hazel yesterday, and attempted to kill her with a knife!”

“I didn’t.”

“Yes you did Hebe Tian,” He took a step up front to close in the gap between them, “You were insecure about our relationship, and just because I still have work relationships with Hazel, you saw her as a threat. You texted with my cellphone, and deceived her to go up to my office last night; you stabbed her. The camera caught it all.” Hebe’s eyes grew wide as Aaron Yan verbally stabbed every word at her.

“No I didn’t.” she shook her head.

“What are you bull ting about Aaron,” Ella also added in disbelieve, “Who did you hear this from, you should have more trust in Hebe than to believe the words of some !” she doesn’t believe a word the man had just said. Hebe would never do such thing, she have no reason to.

“Stop denying it, the camera in my office caught it all, and Hazel is still under coma at the hospital.” Aaron’s voice was cold with mockery, so foreign that it sent chills down everyone, and piercing through Hebe Tian, whose eye shut tightly, and her head shook violently.

“I didn’t do it. I didn’t do it! I DIDN’T DO IT!”

Just then the door slammed open again, revealing the hyperventilating Calvin and Selina.

-
-
-

Selina who was at the other side of the ballroom when Aaron dropped his announcement was traumatized to no end, and worried tremendously for Hebe, who is most effected by it. Her first reaction after the announcement was to find Hebe, but due to the great number of guests, and distance she is from the novelist Selina lost sight of the novelist before she could even reach half way through the ballroom.

“Selina!” just when she finally reached the other end of the ballroom, a familiar voice caught her attention.

“Calvin?” the photographer was taken aback by the appearance of Calvin who was distressed from excessive exercise, and his casual attire. He was in a lose V-neck sweater and jeans, definitely not attired for the party, hence Selina assume the man has just arrived.

“Did you see Aaron or Genie?” asked the hasty man.

“No, but I’m also looking for them. I don’t know what happened, but Aaron just announced that he is getting engaged to Hazel. I need to find Hebe.”

“What!” Calvin’s orbs enlarged with incredulity, “we have to find them, especially Hebe. She have serious psychotic depression and split personality disorder, we need to make sure she doesn’t do anything crazy.”

“Wh-what… psychotic depression. What? Why? How?” Selina was too taken aback to think correctly at this moment.

“I’ll explain later, we have to find them.”

“O-oh-okay.” The photographer stutter in dazed.

The two quickly headed toward the exit after Calvin had successfully got the group’s location by asking one of the waitresses. When the two joined everyone else in the hallway they attained all’s attentions, and officially walked into an atmosphere of tension.

“Calvin? Selina?” Genie was the first to speak.

“Aaron! Why did you say you’re engaged to Hazel,” Calvin raged at his friend, “You bastard! What are you trying to do?” He pounced at Aaron and punched the man, totally forgetting the message he was here to deliver.

“CALVIN!” Genie and Chun both tried to halt the man, but they were both too late, thus Chun also joined in to separate the two.

“E! Hebe has psychotic depression and split personality disorder.” Selina informed Ella in whisper, but Genie’s sharp hearing was quick to catch it.

“What did you say?” Genie gripped onto the photographer’s thin arm, “Psychotic depression? Split personality disorder?”

“That was all Calvin told me, I’m not sure about the detail.”

Hebe who also heard the conversation slowly shifted her gaze at the three women, and the four locked eyes.

Psychotic depression. Split personality disorder. Hebe Tian slowly lifted her two hands, and stared at them. How could she possibility forget about these two diseases that has been haunting her into mental fatigue, but she thought she was cured. The novelist slowly diverted her eyes back at Aaron; what if everything he said was true? She was never cured, and she did tried to kill Hazel. Hebe felt the world spinning around her.

At this time Genie was anxious to know the true story and details from Calvin finally halted the men’s brawl with a thundering holler, “CALVIN STOP IT!” Everyone was shocked at the deafening volume Genie just produced, and became paralyzed, “Was that what her medicines were for?” she asked straight at Calvin who finally came back to his sense.

“Yes. I just got in contact with my source, and had a long distance phone conversation with Dr. Chung. Apparently Hebe has both serious psychotic depression and split personality disorder. Dr. Chung is a renowned psychiatrist in America; Hebe has been a patient of hers for 7 years by now. Those pills you showed me were specialized anti-depressants that Hebe was suppose to take daily despite her stabilized condition.”

“So Hebe could have injured Hazel, but under another personality?” Genie finally spoke after piecing everything together, and glare at Aaron abruptly, “Did you hear that! She is ill! How can you do that to her!” She condemned Aaron angrily.

Aaron who was just as shocked as everyone else to learn of Hebe’s condition, but he masked his emotions well and avoided eye contact with the crowd by looking elsewhere, “It doesn’t make any difference.” It took all his power to let out the sentence in the most uncaring tone he could muster, while he clenched his fist with even more strengths that his palms are bleeding from the pressure of his digging nails.

“Where’s Hebe?” Aaron’s neck snapped at Chun who was the first to notice Hebe’s disappearance. Everyone became anxious, and Aaron was the first to run down the long red-carpeted hall in great apprehension. Hebe Tian’s back was diminishing down the hall, with Aaron Yan chasing the novelist in a speed so fast that is out of the man’s own ability; everyone else followed.

“HEBE!”

-
-
-

As Hebe Tian run, she was in a world of her own where things are spinning, and she was running without an aim, so absorb with her own thoughts that she had blocked out everything else around her, including Aaron Yan who is chasing and screaming after her. She just wants to be away from reality, and blockage is her only way out.


She has never despised and hated herself, as much as she did right now. She knew she has psychotic depression a few years after the car accident when she would constantly be under the illusion of herself being run over by the same car, and the driver was also herself. That was when she first went to Dr. Chung for help, it turned out the car accident has greatly traumatized her, and the guilt has made her hallucinated the punishment, where she is the one being run over instead.

But she didn’t tell anyone about her depression solely because there was no one close enough that was by her side, and she never told Jiro when they met again because there was really no need to because her condition has stabled already.

Little did she know during her second relationship with Jiro Wang the scar of the betrayal done by Jiro and Selina never left the novelist’s heart, and she has became paranoid during her time with the man. Slowly, her depression came back in a much worse condition, and a second disorder developed, the split personality disorder. Hebe has been feeling fragile and helpless ever since the car accident, and then, her other personality finally made its first appearance when she had her first fight with Jiro. Hebe was at a point where her mentality was in great pressure, and her psychotic depression is putting too much guilt in her that another personality developed in her to protect her. A stronger and corrupted Hebe Tian. It is also because the novelist has Dr. Chung’s help that she found out about her other personality in instant, and this knowledge further complicated the novelist. As time goes by she could no longer tell the difference between her two selves, because she know of the other one’s existence she has unconsciously allow them to mix a grey area. Hebe Tian was at a point where she doesn’t know herself anymore. The novelist’s condition was at an extremely severe point until she met Genie who was the first to bring light into the novelist’s world again. With the divorce the novelist has never seen Jiro ever since, and with Genie’s entrance to her life, Hebe Tian was living a new life with nothing and no one from the past haunting her. Her condition was getting better, but there would still be time where her condition comes back, and Dr. Chung recommended for Hebe to make a trip back to Taiwan, because America has replaced Taiwan as the trigger place for the novelist’s disorders; and it might do her some good to finally face the people in her life.

True to Dr. Chung’s hypothesis, things did turn out better in Taiwan, and her condition was the most stabilized in her record. Or that was what Hebe Tian thought when she ignored that package of pills Dr. Chung sent her. That was beginning of her corrupted self’s comeback.

While Hebe was on her way to Aaron’s office from the airport for the meeting with their party’s organizer, Hazel; Jiro Wang called her right after she ended her conversation with her boyfriend.

“Hello Hebe,” Jiro Wang’s greeting harbor great malicious yet he feigned the friendliest tone that made the novelist cringe with goose bumps.

“What do you want,” She was cold, and distance; a wall of barrier for protection has already been formed within her.

“Tsk tsk tsk, is this how you greet your ex-husband?” he sounded like he had the time of the world, so chilled and relaxed.

“Like you said ex-husband, in my dictionary you’re no better than a mere stranger.”

“Stranger huh,” his voiced was cold and sharp just like ice, “You want us to be strangers after you’ve destroyed my relationship with Selina. You must be dreaming Hebe Tian. You would never be a stranger to me, never.”

If possible the novelist’s expression turned even more stoic; she clutched her cellphone with great strengths and stayed silent, while Jiro continued.

A laugh of mockery escaped from him, “Did you actually think you’d finally be able to find happiness with Aaron Yan?”

“I have nothing to talk to you about.” She couldn’t stand another word from him, and just when she was about to hang up his words halt her to a stop.

“Oh Hebe Hebe Hebe, you poor thing that actually think Aaron Yan would stay loyal to you.”

“What are you talking about?” Her fist clenched as her heart beat began to double.

“How naïve of you to think he would give up a 3 years relationship with Hazel who has been nothing but loyal and full of love to him for someone like you, who has abandoned him for 10 years, and not to say married before. What kind of man would love you with all his heart? You don’t deserve love at all.” Her body shook with anger as she listened to him, then he continued, “He is just stuck in the moment, and he’d soon snap out of it to realize he doesn’t love you. You’re nothing compared to Hazel He.”

“Thank you for your concern, but don’t you worry, I will be happy,” she emphasized her last clause with great confidence, “If that is all you have to say I’ll hang up now.” After she ended the call she paid the taxi driver, and headed up to Aaron’s office. She was full of confidence, and trusted Aaron with absolute until she was going to open the doors of his office. She stopped with a gap, and saw Hazel and Aaron. She stayed where she was, just outside the door and monitored the two through the gap. Aaron’s office was extravagant and big, and the two were at the other end of the room so Hebe could only watch and heard nothing. She have no idea of what is going on, but the longer she watch them together the more paranoia built in her, and something finally snapped in her when they hugged. The novelist stepped away to avoid Hazel when she was leaving, and watched the event organizer’s back disappear into the elevator; and then she finally entered the office to greet her boyfriend, as if nothing has happened.

She don’t know when did her other personality first appeared, it could be during her conversation with Jiro, when she saw Hazel in his office, or even way before that; but it was certain that Hebe Tian was not the regular Hebe Tian when she smiled at Aaron Yan the moment she entered his office.

Without her medicines, her condition has been coming back in a repetitive order, yet she was skilled at masking any trace of abnormal in her. As days past by the novelist became more and more paranoid, and hallucinations occurred. The happier Aaron made her feel, the more doubt she has in her because her psychotic depression has kicked in, making her feel that she is not worthy of such happiness; just like Jiro had said.

And the day before her engagement was where her disorders were at its most intense and severe moment, the corrupted Hebe Tian took full control, and she needed to protect her happiness. She flipped through Aaron’s contacts, and texted Hazel to meet at his office. Before she left for the office she made sure to put sleeping pills in the businessman’s drinks, knocking him out.

She remember now, she remember it all. She did a knife into Hazel in attempt to kill her. She did, she did; she had tried to kill someone innocent, for no apparent reason. She had allowed her insanity to harm others; she is a monster.

“HEBE!” Aaron who just got out of the elevator shouted after Hebe Tian who was already outside of the hotel, twisted her ankle while decelerating down the stair steps and rolled to the bottom.

She ignored Aaron’s call out, got herself back up with her scraped knees and elbows, and continued to limped away with her fire red bruised ankle.

“HEBE!” Aaron’s voice was becoming much louder and clearer as he was getting closer, but the novelist disregarded it and continued to limp away aimlessly.

The sky has long darkened, and the moon has replaced the sun; darkness is the ideal diction for the scenery, and perfect to describe her world. All that is in vision is darkness, and it doesn’t matter where she is headed, there would just be more darkness ahead. She continued to limp.

“HEBE STOP! HEBE!” Aaron felt his world crumbled before him as he scream in desperation for the novelist to stop her steps, but it was all too late.

She has walked up to a car that wasn’t able to stop its brake in time, Hebe Tian just got into a car accident, but she is the victim this time.

“HEBE!” Aaron used his life to run towards the bleeding woman, as tears escaped rapidly through his eyes, “Hebe…” his words choked while holding the woman on his lap, he breathed with hope when he saw the novelist’s eyes opened slightly, his emotions was mixed with relief and anxiety, “Don’t close your eyes love, look at me. Don’t close them.” He demanded, because he knows if the novelist closes her eyes they’d never open up again, so he won’t allow her can’t close them, “CALL THE GOD DAMN AMBULANCE!” he turned to the dumbfounded driver, and ordered with agitation.

“I’m sorry Hebe, please don’t close your eyes, don’t close them.” His tears dropped on her fatigued face. The fragile novelist stared tiredly at the desperate man, he’s crying for her, “I don’t mean what I said in there.” She continued to stare at him tiredly, her breathings were getting slower and heavier just as she is getting more and more tired, her eyes began to drop, “no love, don’t sleep, look at me. Don’t sleep.”

A small fatigue smile plastered across her face slowly, “D-don’t cry…I-I-am tired,” she mumbled in between her heavy breathings.

“No, stop talking. Don’t talk. Just look at me.” He grabbed at her hand that is reaching for him and brought it to his face.

Finally, Hebe’s first string of tears escaped from the corner of her eye, “I want to sleep.” She did not cry because she was heartbroken, she cried because she knew, Aaron Yan has loved her all along. He loves her.

But it was all too late, because she’s tired and has fallen asleep.

“HEBE! HEBE!” Genie and the rest finally reached the injured novelist, and Genie cried in trauma trying to reach her sister, but Calvin held her back, trying to calm her down, “LET ME GO!” she tried to get out of Calvin’s grasp but her strength was no match compared to the man. And finally, her heart couldn’t take the agony, and fainted.

Finally, it was all in silence as everyone waited in misery for the ambulance’s arrival. Tears were inevitable.

Aaron Yan’s tears have long dried out, and he only sat there holding onto the sleeping Hebe Tian; he was numb and dreary as his heart was no longer beating. It shattered.

When the ambulance finally came, Aaron went with the unconscious novelist, his hands never leaving hers and gaze never leaving the novelist’s sleeping face.

-
-
-

Before the party

When Calvin called Aaron that afternoon, he was calling to tell Aaron that he wouldn’t be attending the party, because Hazel was injured and now hospitalized. Calvin was in great dreary and his voice sounded just like it too. Even though Aaron and Hazel were no longer a couple, they are still friends, and he still cares for her as a friend, hence he decided to give her a visit. It was going to be a quick visit anyway—or so he thought.

When Aaron got to Hazel’s ward he saw a crestfallen Calvin holding the frail woman’s hand, Aaron’s heart clenched in sympathy.

“Calvin.” He spoke softly, and was shocked when Calvin turned to look at him. His friend’s eyes were drained and bloodshot, he cried. It was then Aaron realized how wrong and deceived he was this whole entire time.

“Hey,” Calvin’s voice was soft with weariness, and a tint of distance.

“How is she?” Aaron asked in concern.

“They found her in your office.” Calvin ignored his question, “In your office AARON YAN!” Calvin glared at him.

“Wh-what?” Aaron stuttered, in his office? How is that possible?

Calvin placed Hazel’s hand gently back under the blanket, and walked up to his friend, “If you don’t love her, then you should never have gotten close to her. Do you know how innocent and naïve she is? Did you ever consider her feelings! Why did you have to make her fall for you!” Calvin jerked him up by his collars.

Aaron stayed stationary, staring at his furious friend, “Did she do that to herself?” he finally asked.

Calvin finally released his grip on Aaron, “I don’t know,” he pushed his hair back in exasperation, “I got a call from the hospital last night telling me they found her bleeding in your office. I don’t know. I just want her to wake up, and smile like she used to. I just want her to be happy.” Calvin was now talking to himself, “I shouldn’t have let you take her away from me. I should’ve told her my feelings earlier. I should’ve stopped her from falling for you. She would still be my innocent Hazel, smiling everyday away if she hadn’t met you.” Calvin palmed his face.

“You love Hazel.” Aaron finally said.

“But she loves you!” Calvin looked at him quickly.

“Then what about Genie?”

“I like her, but I love Hazel.” Calvin finally admits his feelings. He has always loved the unconscious woman, ever since he first met her; but the woman was too pure and innocent, that made him hesitant to confess his feelings in worries of putting the woman on spot, and ruining their friendship. He had wanted to take things slow, but he had taken things too slowly, and finally Aaron had stepped in the picture, stealing her away from him. When she told him of her feelings for Aaron, Calvin felt a lightening bolt strike him straight at the heart; but he could only force a smile and encourage her. Other than that he really doesn’t know what to do, he had wished them happiness wholeheartedly, because Hazel was truly in love and happy with Aaron, his best friend. What else could he do? That is to watch her smile from afar, and protect that smile with everything he could. Hence, he was so against Hebe when Aaron first told him of the novelist’s return. Although Aaron was in denial for the longest time, but Calvin saw through everything, crystal and clear. Aaron Yan’s feelings for Hebe Tian were something so strong that would eventually defeat his feelings for Hazel. Calvin knew his best friend was Hazel’s all, and if they broke up, Hazel would never be able to smile again. He can’t let that happen, and for this reason he began to plan against the novelist. He had noticed the importance Genie is to the novelist; as a result he approached Genie in a romantic way, hoping to use Genie to separate Hebe and Aaron. Of course, he had realized how selfish and foolish his plan was during Genie’s period of coma.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” Aaron apologized. It has never crossed his mind that his best friend was actually in love with Hazel when he was dating the woman. All he had known was that Hazel and Calvin knew each other first, and he also knew Hazel through Calvin; he thought Calvin and Hazel were just really good friends, best friends. How blind of him to not notice Calvin’s unrequited love.


“You don’t need to apologize. No one is supposes to know, that was my intention.” Calvin checked his watch for the time, “You should leave now. The party is starting soon.” Aaron hesitated, “Leave!” Calvin urged him before he could say another word. Aaron could only leave with guilt.

After Aaron left, Calvin continued to guard beside the unconscious Hazel, and watch with hopes for her to miraculously wake up. He stayed in the same position for hours and hours, until the ringing of his cellphone finally diverted his attention. It was a text report from his private detective regarding the medicine and doctor Genie had ask him to investigate. Calvin was greatly appalled as he read the information on his phone, and quickly called Dr. Chung’s number that was also provided in the report. He spoke with the psychiatrist for around 30 minutes before he bolted out of the hospital while calling Aaron continuously with urgency.

Unfortunately, Aaron Yan never picked up his phone call, because he was engaged in a serious conversation with Jiro Wang.

When Aaron first stepped out of the hospital door he was met a nonchalant Jiro who seemed to have been waiting for him, and he was. Jiro lead the businessman into his car, with a smile throughout the whole entire time.

“I don’t think we have anything to talk about Mr. Wang.” Aaron was the first to speak with obvious disdain.

“How is that Hazel girl fairing?” Jiro continue to smile, and offered the businessman cigarette, but the businessman declined.

“You did that to her!” Aaron accused the male photographer with outrage.

“Of course not, so calm down Mr. CEO.” Jiro’s laugh disgusts Aaron, “wait, I don’t think you can calm down after I tell you who put your lovely ex-girlfriend in the hospital.” He looked at the businessman with a devious smirk, and pulled out an IPad.

Aaron grabbed the IPad incredulously as he watched the video clip playing on the thin device.

Hebe Tian was ing a knife into Hazel He, with no mercy.

“How did you get this?” Aaron’s enlarged orbs regarded at the nonchalant Jiro, who only smirked with enjoyment.

“That, you don’t need to know.” He threw a stack of documents at the businessman, and the businessman began to flip through it frantically, “All you need to know is that, your soon to be fiancé left Taiwan ten years ago immediately after she committed a hit and run, killing a young college girl who could be having a bright future right now, but Hebe Tian took that away. She took a life away.” Everything Jiro said was true, and the document in the businessman’s hand is the exact proof. Aaron dropped the stack of papers slowly, and slumped on the car seat. Everything was too much for him to digest, but he quickly sat back straight up. All the reasons behind Hebe’s assault toward Hazel are not important, Jiro’s purpose to tell and show him all of this is most important.

“What do you want?” It was clear to Aaron that the male photographer is threatening him at the moment, “Money? How much do you want?”

Jiro only laughed heartily, “Do I look like someone who is in needs of money? You have belittled me.” Finally, Jiro Wang stopped smiling for the first time, and his tone has become dead serious, “What do you think would happen if I send all the evidence I have in my possession to the police?” He played with the cigarette lighter while watching Aaron’s reaction with entertainment.

“You!” he was going to punch the mocking photographer, but held himself back with a tight fist, “What do you want! Just say it!”

“You can’t engage Hebe Tian. I want you to break up with her. I want you to announce your engagement with Hazel He.”

“What?” the businessman exclaimed incredulously, “You don’t love her anymore if at all, what is your purpose in doing this? You don’t gain anything from it.”

“If you don’t announce your engagement with Hazel He tonight I’ll send the document to the police. If you don’t break up with Hebe Tian I’ll send both the document and video to the police.” Jiro Wang ignored the businessman’s question, and made his requirements clear. The moment Selina rejected him; Jiro Wang has loathed the novelist, because he believes it was the novelist that stripped him away from his happiness. If he can’t be happy, then don’t the novelist ever dream of living a life of paradise, “I’m waiting for an answer Mr. Yan. It’s getting late, it is almost time for your speech.” He urged the agitated businessman.

Aaron Yan glare at the male photographer with a look that could kill that also explains how much desire he wants to kill the man in front of him, but he can’t. He needs to stay calm and think correctly, to keep those evidences away from the police is his first priority. He can’t let the authorities find Hebe, even if it means he have to break the woman’s heart and have her hate him, “Fine,” he finally made his decision, “But I want all the original copies of the evidences, and you better not play any tricks. I will hunt you to the edge of the earth if I have to.” Aaron Yan is also not a man you could mess with.

“Deal.”

-
-
-

“I’m sorry Mr. Yan, but it seems like Miss Tian will be in coma for a life time. It would take a miracle for her to wake up.” The surgeon who was in charge of the novelist’s operation entered the ward, and informed the dispirited businessman.

Aaron didn’t say anything, but only waved one hand, signaling the surgeon and the nurses to leave.

After the surgeon and nurses left, a dew of tear dropped from the businessman’s blank face; and he brought his phone up to his ears, speaking impassively, “Is it done? Okay, check your bank account in 30 minutes, the money should be there.”

He tossed his phone aside, and held onto the comatose novelist’s chilled hand with both of his hand, bring it up to his chin.

“Don’t worry love, we will be criminals together. Sleep well; we’ll be together for a lifetime. I promise, no one can separate us anymore. We’ll make your favorite chestnut cake together when you wake up. I’ll wait until you finally get sick of sleeping, and open those beautiful eyes of yours; even if it means a lifetime.”

He slipped a ring onto her left index finger, and kissed it.

Aaron Yan has once told Jiro Wang, if the male photographer plays any tricks, he will chase him to the edge of this earth. Jiro Wang has done something more than a trick, hence, he shall diminish from this earth.

Aaron Yan made sure of that.

-
-
-

30 years later-

“Miss Wu! Is it true that your book tells the true story of your uncle?” one of the many reporters that were crowding around a young woman who is around her mid-twenties shoved the microphone at the young woman. As the young woman made her way out of the extravagant mall, these desperate reporters follow closely like bee on honey. This woman is Taiwan’s most phenomenal novelist yet with her debut novel, “To Shatter a Heart Breaker” which was rumored to be a true story based on the young author’s uncle, a legendary businessman who’s love life and sudden changes was still a mystery in the small island, even till this day.

“Would it make a difference whether it does tell a true story or not? I don’t think so. Whether it tells a story of someone else’s life, or is a pure fiction, the readers still enjoyed the story. Isn’t that what matters?” the young author smiled at the crowding reporters.

“Can you explain why it is titled ‘To Shatter a Heart Breaker? Who is the heart breaker?” another reporter asked.

The young author finally stopped to answer the question, “When the female lead left, she broke the heart of the male lead. When the female lead married her first husband, she broke the heart of her best friend. When the female lead finally divorced her first husband, the words she told him also broke his heart, and caused him to lose the love of his life, whose also her best friend. When the male lead dated his girlfriend, he broke his best friend’s heart of unrequited love; and when he finally walked out of his denial and broke up with his girlfriend to be with the female lead, he broke the heart of his girlfriend. When he made his announcement during the engagement party, he broke the female lead’s heart; however, he only did that under the threat of female lead’s ex-husband. So the ex-husband also indirectly broke the female lead’s heart. This chain can go forever. The entire novel is full of heart breakers, and each of them suffered from misery done by another. It showed the many ways in which people can hurt each other. To Shatter a Heart Breaker is just a title to sum all the possibilities up.” After the young author was done speaking, a line of well-built bodyguards emerged into the mall to the young author away from the crowd of reporters, and the young woman waltz with grace in her killer heels into the luxurious limo.

“Zhen Xi ah, how did the book signing go?” When the young woman, Zhen Xi entered the limo, her parents who are in they’re sixties, Ella and Chun smiled at her.

“It went great,” Zhen Xi informed her elderly parents, “except the same old question about Uncle Yan came up again.” The young author rolled her eyes.

The gray haired Chun and Ella smiled bitterly.

“Mom, Dad, I want to visit Auntie Tian…” Zhen Xi paused for a split second, “and Uncle Yan, he’s probably with Auntie Tian anyway.”

The old couple nodded their heads.

When the family of three arrived in front of the ward, they did not enter, but only stand outside and look through the glass window.

Through the glass window, they see an old man dressed in well-tailored suit sitting in an arm chair, reading the latest economic news in front of an old woman who seems to be sleeping on the bed, connected to a machine with many wires.

There’s also two slices of chestnut cake next to them.

Aaron Yan had promised, he and Hebe Tian would be together for a lifetime.

-------------------------------------

-Ebru