27장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My skin crawled and my breath momentarily stopped as I stared, wide eyed, waiting for the impact. Logic told me to move and get out of the way of the oncoming car, but I couldn’t move. Literally, deer in the headlights. My ears rang with the screech of tires as the brakes tried to stop the car. Seconds later, I lay on the ground, my left arm protesting painfully underneath me and my right shin aching dully.

I couldn’t be sure if I was seeing the city lights or if it was the car’s headlights. I blinked, trying to clear my vision, having not yet registered how much pain I was really in. It was bearable, but I paid no attention as I heard footsteps. It seemed I hadn’t fallen very far from the car, as in a matter of moments, the driver was next to me. I winced when a hand touched my shoulder, rolling me off my side.

A deep voice spoke. “Jesus . . .”

I wasn’t an expert, but I was pretty sure those lights were not Jesus Christ coming back. And I perhaps had almost just gotten my one way ticket to see said guy. An involuntary groan of pain left my lips as I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the still shining headlights. I squinted, trying to make out the driver’s face. Maybe Jesus had come back, or maybe I really had become road kill. And I had been sent to hell.

Oh Sehun looked down at me in utter disbelief.

“Oh my God,” he groaned, sitting back on his heels. Were you allowed to say God in hell? I blinked up at him and felt around me, trying to figure out what had happened. Was I still lying in the middle of the road or had I actually died? I attempted to sit up so that I could try and see what kind of damage had been done. Immediately, bolts of pain went through my muscles and my left arm refused to support me. I propped myself up on my right elbow.

Sehun watched me, his expression unreadable.

“Can you walk?” he asked. What kind of question was that? Shouldn’t he be calling the ambulance or police or something?

Still examining my knee, I shook my head, unsure.

“I-I’m not sure,” I said, trying to focus on one area of pain at a time. The jar of falling had really bothered my new bruises.

He sighed exasperatedly. “God . . .” My wonderings of Sehun needing the Lord badly had been confirmed. He stood. “Why were you even in the middle of the road?” he asked angrily.

I gaped, looking up from my skinned knee. Was he seriously asking me this?

“It’s called crossing the road, dimwit,” I seethed. Just out of spite, I didn’t attempt to move anymore and simply stared up at him as a couple cars passed by, slowing down to see what the commotion was before continuing on their way. “And as a driver, you should’ve been watching for pedestrians.”

Running one hand down his face, Sehun glanced left and right before looking back at me. He looked pissed.

“Get up,” he said, walking closer.

“What?” I asked, appalled. “You should be calling 119 or something!” I looked at him with wide eyes, refusing to believe the situation I was in. Oh Sehun had just hit me with his car and now he was going to sit here and stare at me and tell me to get up and out of the road.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Just get up before I run you over again,” he said, motioning his hands for me to hurry.

“You’re crazy,” I said, not moving a muscle. “You should be making sure I go to the hospital and get treatment.” In reality, I didn’t want to go to the hospital – I hated the place. But I wanted compensation.

“Oh, I’ll make sure you get treatment,” Sehun said. His long legs bringing him closer faster than I could blink, he knelt behind me and placed his arms around me.

“What are you—?” Out of pure instinct and reflex, I flailed in surprise at his sudden touch. My squirming only prompted him to tightly secure his arms around my torso and haul me off the ground, and his actions causing my body to throb with pain.

“Ah – stop!” I squawked. He listened and unwound his arms from around me, almost causing me to fall over, and then I replaced them with my own, holding onto my stomach. Tears filled my eyes as I tried to steady my breathing. I wanted to scream and yell at him for being so inconsiderate, especially if he knew of what he girlfriend had done to me. But I kept quiet.

He suddenly shoved me, not letting me rest even for a second.

“Get in the car,” he commanded, pushing me towards the passenger side, his hand directly hitting a bruise. I swiftly turned around, moving out of his reach.

“Stop touching me,” I ground out, hands still protectively held over my stomach. He glared down at me, his face barely lit in the dark street. He looked frightening, I had to admit. And no way was I getting in a car with him, no matter how much I wanted compensation. I shook my head, giving him my answer.

His jaw flexed as he ground his teeth. “You want to be treated or not? Make up your mind, idiot,” he spat, crossing his arms.

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at him. That wasn’t a very pol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter