45장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Without much hesitation, I gladly heeded Jongin’s words and kept my thoughts to myself. Even the next day at school, I wasn’t entirely sure what I had witnessed and I wasn’t about to ask anyone to explain it either. Especially seeing that not a single one of them was in the mood to be there that day, most importantly Oh Sehun.

I skulked into school right on time and they were already scattering the moment I got there. Jongin lingered a few more moments than Sehun, but he too scurried off with a bothered look on his face. That was enough to tell me to count my blessings and get to class before I counted them too fast and regretted it.

I barely made it through my classes. The worries of the past, present, and future were weighing down on me and it didn’t help that I was replaying the whole scene I had witnessed over and over again. I turned it over in my mind so many times that I was just about losing my head and sprinting down the hall when the final bell rang.

I was so distracted that I shrieked extremely loud when I rounded the corner and faced Kim Junmyeon who stood by my locker.

“Gosh . . .” I panted, leaning over my knees to catch my racing heart.

He gave me a curious look.

“In a hurry?” he asked as I opened my locker.

“Not really. Why?” I asked skeptically. Chances were he was going to be nosy again and I wasn’t in the mood. “If you’re just going to ask me more questions, I’m really not—”

He shook his head, quick to cut me off. “The principal wants to speak with you before you go home — I just came to pass the message on,” he clarified.

Casting yet another look of skepticism, I grabbed my bag and closed my locker. “What are you? The mailman?” I asked.

He chuckled. “Something like that,” he said, leading the way.

Absentmindedly following him through the thinning crowd of students, I hoped I could make this quick and catch my bus. The mental exhaustion I felt seemed physical and I wanted to be home much sooner rather than later.

“I know the way to the office,” I said after a few beats.

He glanced over his shoulder.

“I have a few things to do before I leave,” he told me, opening the door and letting me in first.

I nodded and started to go to the receptionist, who was finishing up some things, but Junmyeon cut me off.

“You can go on ahead,” he said, beckoning me forward with one hand on my shoulder. “Oh, and you might want to leave your cellphone out here. Old man hates it when students bring theirs in and they go off.”

Heaving a tired sigh, I nodded and just set my bag outside the door instead of digging the device out. Before entering, I gave Junmyeon one last nod as he told me that the principal would be with me in a moment. I grumpily entered the room, wondering why the man would call for me and then step out. But that thought was diminished the moment I shut the door and turned to face the room.

Kim Junmyeon hadn’t cared to inform that there was another person waiting for the principal — most importantly, that Oh Sehun was also waiting for him. I almost turned and bolted out the door. My initial thought was to blurt: “I didn’t say anything! I swear!” but then I decided that probably wasn’t going to help me very much or make Sehun stop glaring at me so hatefully. Of course, he was going to be blaming me for getting us both called into the office again. Mainly because last time it had been my fault, I guess. One of us acted nonchalant about things while I was running around crying everywhere.

Timidly placing myself in the seat next to him, I glanced at the clock behind the principal’s desk. I had fifteen minutes to catch the bus, at the least. And before long, those fifteen minutes passed in an awkward and tense silence that I spent with my mind racing so fast I was about to fall out of my chair. Neither Sehun nor I moved for that period of time and I was pretty sure both of us were very much wondering where the principal was.

Five minutes after my bus was long gone, Sehun sat up and cleared his throat. I swore I heard him mumble something under his breath along the lines of “this is ridiculous” before getting up and heading for the door. I sighed, leaning back in my chair and contemplating following him out. I was already going to have to walk home, but the principal was being ridiculous. I wondered if he had forgotten about us and everyone had already gone home. If so, I was about to do the same.

Figuring I really had nothing to lose, I stood and turned to follow Sehun out. Only, Sehun was still standing there, hand on the knob. I cleared my throat, hopeful he would move on. I eyed him warily when he looked over his shoulder and took a step back, moving out of my way. Aggravated with this whole scenario, I took charge and grabbed ahold of the knob, set on leaving the room. Only, the knob stuck. I jiggled it and tried again. It was definitely locked. And from the outside.

I rounded on Sehun.

“Did you just lock—?” I cut myself off, refraining from continuing with me in here with you because that just sounded absurd.

“Funny,” Sehun scoffed, “I was going to blame you for locking it.” He eyed me accusingly.

“Me?” I asked, appalled, watching him as he started across the room.

He made a scoff-like noise that didn’t sound too amused. “You were the last one to walk through that door,” he said matter-of-factly.

I made a face, finding this conversation absolutely ridiculous.

“Why would I lock myself in here with you? I didn’t even know the door could lock,” I said, turning to look back at the door. I jiggled the knob again.

Huffing loudly, Sehun harshly jerked the window blind up. “You probably hit the lock on your way in,” he blamed, peering out of the window.

I glared at the back of his head.

“I just told you I didn’t even know this door could lock, and why would they put a knob on backwards for a principal’s office?” I snapped. After speaking, I backed up a few paces, seeing as he wasn’t taking too kindly to being locked up.

As if just noticing my presence, he looked at me and blinked. “The principal’s car is gone,” he said, now walking back to the door. My eyes widened and I ran to the window to look out. “The whole faculty is gone,” he added, kicking at the door and causing me to flinch.

Seeing so for my own eyes, I left the window a little more than freaked out. My brain rattled inside my skull as Sehun kicked the door again. Spinning on my heel, I watched him attempt to break the door open. He repeated the act several times until I finally hollered.

“Yah! It’s not going to open!” I fiddling with my fingers as I tried to think of something. “Give up before you get in trouble for damaging property,” I said, feeling exhausted all over again.

Sehun released a bark of laughter.

“You think I’m worried about property damages?” he asked, balling up his fist. I sighed when he began banging on it with his fist. “Maybe if you hadn’t been so stupid and locked the door, then I wouldn’t have to try and break it open!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter