08장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Taehyung made it into the rest of the tryouts, I didn’t see him much afterwards. I saw him from afar once: he was with a few of the other kids who had tried out and were advancing; they must’ve been sharing tips on how to do better and get on the team. I really didn’t understand basketball. Why couldn’t you just choose a person on the first day and make the team and get on with the program? Wait . . . does that happen with all sports and things? How would I know? I went from home to school to the local chicken and orange juice provider and back home to watch Disney movies. Okay, that may have been a little exaggerated because I did visit my grandma and other relatives sometimes and, like I said before, I jogged here and there and I helped out charities, but most of the time I stay in bed until 3PM.

I was glad I hadn’t seen Taehyung though, because I was still feeling bad about that scarf thing. I don’t know, it wasn’t my scarf, but I felt bad that I didn’t help him. Especially since he had shared his lunch me a few times. Maybe I felt bad because before, at my old school, I had always helped the bullied kids. But that was what had ended me up in my position now: helping the kids Oh Sehun bullied. Now I was the kid Oh Sehun was bullying.

Speak of the Devil and he appears out of nowhere. After classes ended, I just so happened to be on my way to the track field clad in black fitness pants with an oversized hoodie, to jog, because I didn’t feel like going home just then, when Oh Sehun and Tao rounded the corner of the hall I was heading towards, both still wearing their uniforms.

Oh Sehun was talking, no surprise there, his hands moving for emphasis. “They were massive,” he was saying, his hands indicating at his chest. His non-existent s to be exact. I slowed my steps, determined to get around them and their atrocious boy talk. I assumed they had just come from the cheerleading tryouts that were happening. From what I knew, they weren’t over yet, so I wondered why the two buffaloes were leaving.

“I was really disappointed Krystal didn’t let her on the team. Who cares if she couldn’t do any tricks? She had two tricks that were just fine to me,” Tao said, holding onto the one strap of his backpack slung over his left shoulder. I caught him nudge Sehun when he noticed me as they neared. I halted my steps.

Flicking his dark hair out of his eyes, Sehun grinned, coming closer. “If only someone had a couple of tricks up her shirt, maybe she could get a boyfriend and stop looking so pathetic walking around by herself all the time.” He clucked his tongue, resting his hands in his pockets as he circled around me. I stood my ground, declining his invite to the game he wanted to play.

Tao watched with an amused expression, his thin lips turning upwards. “I don’t know, man, I would make an exception for that backside she’s got,” he stated, pointing behind me.

I suddenly stood up straight at his words. Masking the discomfort I felt, not to mention violation, I cast both of them a disgusted glare which Sehun then passed onto Tao.

“Dude,” he said with judgement.

Tao shrugged, combing his black hair with his free hand. “What?” he asked defensively. Sehun walked away from me and shoved him, telling him to come on or they’d be late for something; then I remembered basketball practice. Jaw clenched, Sehun gave me another glance before leaving, Tao following behind.

“See you, baby,” he said, kissing his fingers and holding them out to me.

I snarled at him before stomping on my way to the field. I tugged at my oversized hoodie, trying to cover my that was defined by the stupid fitness pants I wore.

I checked my phone as I entered the field, seeing my sister had replied to my message that I would be home late. I set my backpack and phone aside before grabbing my iPod and plugging my headphones in. A nice song, whether slow or fast, could really get me in the mood to jog. So I set one on and warmed up.

The sun was almost asleep by the time I decided to go home, chugging at my bottle of orange juice as I walked. Delicious orange juice. I didn’t bother changing out of my fitness clothes, but I started regretting it as the sweat on my back began freezing from the cold temperature.

“Choi Eunhui.” I turned at the sound of my name and saw Kim Taehyung, sweaty and wearing gym clothes, running towards me. “What are you still doing here?” he asked once he made it to me. He panted for a second before he pulled a bottle of water from the gym bag slung over his shoulder.

I gave him a moment to compose himself before speaking. “I was jogging on the track field,” I told him, resuming my walk towards the school gate. “How was basketball practice?” I asked.

Taehyung followed, recapping his water. “Harsh. Three guys got sent home today,” he said, matching my pace.

I air through my teeth. “Dang. But that means you have a better chance, yeah?”

He gave me a hopeful look. “Maybe, but Captain Park definitely doesn’t want me on the team and Tao sunbae is really good,” he said.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll make it,” I encouraged him. “Are you walking home?” I asked, heading out of the gate with him right behind me.

He nodded. “Yeah, I’m only a few blocks. You?”

I shook my head. “I’m quite far, so I’ll take the bus. See you later, Kim Taehyung,” I told him before walking in the direction of the bus stop.

I made it right on time and the bus pulled up before I even had a chance to sit on the small bench with the ahjummas. Pleased with my timing, I boarded and found a seat at the back. Not many people were on this late in the evening, only a few younger people who worked cafe or convenience store jobs or old men and women who were small shop owners that only held good business during daylight. They were all turning it over to their co-workers or looking forward to finally getting some rest after so much work, all bundled in their big coats.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter