15장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On the bus ride to school, I read through more tweets and comments. The rumor had made it all the way to my Instagram and Facebook and I wound up barely sleeping because I was up reading news about my new relationship. I ended up locking my Facebook so people didn’t have such access but it was too late for Twitter and Instagram. People were like piranhas. And nasty ones. They were all thriving on the fact that I was apparently dating Kim Taehyung, the newest basketball team member. Just because he was the only guy in school that didn’t shun me didn’t make him boyfriend.

“Choi Eunhui? Isn’t that the ugly girl Oh Sehun bullies? No wonder he bullies her, look at her face.”

“Kim Taehyung must be blind.”

“Oh Sehun, where are you? Knock some sense into this boy!”

“Kkkkkk, if she would get a bit of work done and exercise a bit maybe she would be pretty.”

I was more bothered with that fact that someone wanted to start such a useless and stupid rumor than all the comments about the so-called relationship. They could say mean things all they wanted, but it wasn’t going to make them better people, nor better looking. I planned to talk with Taehyung when I got to school and find out if he knew anything, but when I walked to my locker, looking for him, I never saw him. Neither did I see him at break. I did see Sehun, but he was only checking out his slicked hair in his locker mirror, being ugly, the usual. I raised an eyebrow. Something was definitely wrong with the kid.

When lunch came, I hurried out of class and into the canteen without even putting my books away, only to freeze upon entering the room. If I thought it was uncomfortable having everyone on the internet talk about me, I was wrong. Never had I had so many pairs of eyes staring at me. I swallowed, slowly gazing around to spot the familiar cute face of Taehyung as everyone watched me. They were all whispering and snickering behind their hands.

Luhan took it upon himself to make a joke. “I believe pigs are about to fly,” he said, nudging Kai, who was munching on chicken. I huffed and stomped out of the canteen, not seeing Taehyung. At least Oh Sehun wasn’t in there, or else it might’ve been bad.

I put my books in my locker and headed for the quad. There was Sehun, his face in a book. I sighed in relief when I saw Taehyung sitting a few tables away, eating his usual weird lunch. I rushed over and plopped down, making him jump.

“Hey, boyfriend,” I joked.

“Hey.” I frowned when he didn’t even look up to greet me. Stupid people, starting rumors and making folks uncomfortable.

“I didn’t start it,” I said quietly, not wanting Oh Sehun to overhear. I glanced back to make sure he was still reading. I pulled out my phone and pulled up the picture that started the whole thing. It was me and Taehyung, talking at our lockers. He was patting my head and that was it. People really fed off of crumbs around this school. “I saw the picture on Twitter last night and every since, it’s been blowing up. I have no idea why someone would want to start a mess like this.” I rested my chin on my elbows, sliding the phone over to him.

Taehyung grunted, looking off into space. At his silence, I perked up.

“Do you know who did it?” I asked eagerly.

His eyes went wide as he looked me straight in the face before shaking his head slowly. I scrunched my nose up and continued resting my cheek on my arms, clicking my tongue.

“Was everybody staring at you?” I asked. He nodded. “Talk about uncomfortable,” I scoffed. “I don’t understand. Are people really that desperate for entertainment?” I murmured about to myself. “So, despite all this, I’ll be coming to the pep rally today, to support you. And I will definitely be coming to the game tomorrow since you would just die without me.” I grinned, leaning over to take a piece of his food.

He smiled a bit and I pouted. “Don’t worry too much about it – I’m sure it’ll blow over in a few days,” I assured him, chewing on the kimchi. I figured the comments hurt him also because there were a few about his own appearance and some calling him stupid. I didn’t want him to feel bad. I seemed to be his only real friend, especially with the whole rumor going, so I wasn’t going to leave him even if the rumors continued. He was my only friend too. “I’ll see you later, I’m going to get a drink,” I said, giving him a bright smile before running back inside.

People murmured in class. It seemed the whole issue had blown up over the course of only a few hours. I thought a couple of dozen tweets were a lot, but a few hundred pairs of eyes and murmuring was much more. I heard a few comments of how ugly I was in the hallways, how stupid Taehyung was. Most people didn’t say much about Taehyung because he was part of the basketball team, therefore a VIP; it wasn’t good to talk about VIPs. I even saw a few basketball team members a few times and they all pointed and laughed at me. Pretty much the whole lower class of the school were dogging me for getting near a VIP. Excuse you all, but I was friends with him before he tried out for the basketball team.

I scowled at the backs of peoples’ heads throughout classes. They had no right to talk about Taehyung and I. First of all, I wasn’t dating him and he wasn’t dating me. Second of all, even if I had been, it wasn’t any of their business. I never bothered about their relationships that usually only lasted a couple of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter