SIX

The Sacrifice *HIATUS*

 

SIX

 

Kyungsoo was just walking to anywhere her feet leading her to. She left home since morning and now her stomach was desperately begging for food. She remembered she only brought her phone with her. The realization hit her hard which made her drown in frustration. Knowing that she wouldn’t be able to eat, she decided to take a rest at the bus stop from the direction where she was standing at, so that she could at least store a little energy by resting. 

While heading to the bus stop, the thought about Jongin crossed her mind. She was flashing back to unimportant thing that she didn’t know why she was still thinking about it.

 

(Flashback)

(A week after Jessica moved in)

“Chagi, Kyungsoo’s upstairs already,” Jongin said and pulled his beautiful fiancée closer to him; resulting them to chuckle.

“You really don’t wanna miss any of your free chances to be with me,” Jessica bragged.

“Of course, I miss cuddling with you and this little one,” the dark-skinned male replied, then clasped his palm over Jessica’s not yet growing stomach with a smile hovered on his lips. “You know? I always dreamt about this kind of moment, and I thank you for making it happens,” Jongin spoke again, making the pregnant woman looked at him in awe.

“Me too, but, it’ll be a lot better if our relationship doesn’t have to be this way. I wish I could turn back time. Back to five years ago,” Jessica sounded upset.

“Baby, five years ago, although we were not in a secret relationship, we were not as happy as we are now, and we broke up. We’ve started over. We’re in a secret relationship, but at least our folks know about this and they accept us. It’s more than enough.”

Jongin was trying to cheer her up, and luckily she smiled.

“You’re right. You know what?”

Jessica sat down on Jongin’s lap and then wrapped her arms around his neck before she started talking again.

“I hate our made-up character,” she said.

“And why is that?” the male asked.

“I hate the fact that this child is known as his; belongs to someone who doesn’t even exist. You’re the father of our baby, and I wanna brag it to everyone including Kyungsoo,” she explained with a chuckle.

Aww that’s so sweet and bad of you,” Jongin pinched her cheek and then rubbed their nose together; both chuckling at the same time again.

 (End of flashback)

 

“What a perfect family you got there, Jongin,” Kyungsoo muttered to herself and let out a forlorn sigh after that.

Her stomach was producing even stronger growling sound making her winced in pain. She had almost arrived at the bus stop with only left to cross the road. She pressed the button of the traffic light and then waited for it to change its color.

“I’m sorry tummy. I couldn’t fill you with food today,” she said to herself while rubbing her hungry stomach softly. 

 

******

 

???: I’m driving right now. I’ll call you back later (ended the call)

“Who was it, hyung?” 

Urm someone that you don’t know Sehun?” the male answered sarcastically which made the younger rolled his eyes.

“That’s why I’m asking you,” Sehun said.

“And that’s why I said that, because you still don’t know that person even if I tell you the name.”

Sehun scoffed lowly, moving his gaze to look at the front scenery again.

“Forget it, always with your sarcasm.”

The male only smiled when he heard the younger say that. It would always be his hobby to tease the younger.

The traffic light  changed its color to red and automatically all the moving cars around that direction would stop, including Sehun and the hyung.

“Just drive, hyung. There are none, not even a single vehicle from any directions wanna pass through. This traffic light most of the time,” the younger ordered, but the elder was totally against it.

Well, I always abide the rules, Sehun. Typical me and see that? There’s someone who wants to cross the road. Just imagine if I listened to you. Definitely an accident would have happened,” the male replied while his finger was pointing at the pedestrian; the person was actually Kyungsoo. 

 

******

 

Kyungsoo started her steps to cross the road. While walking, she could feel that something was not right with herself. And as she took another step, her vision turned blurry when a sudden strong wave of dizziness crashed through her senses. She was only half way to arrive at the bus stop but couldn't make it.

The last thing she remembered that she was lying unconsciously on the road.

 

******

 

(Kim’s house)

(Living room)

 

 

Jongin had been reading the note uncountable times already. He was experiencing a plethora of emotions. Sadness, anger, relief and regret were all mixed into a boiling pot and poured unceremoniously onto his heart. He was upset when he thought about Kyungsoo. He was angry at himself. He felt relief because Kyungsoo didn’t have to suffer anymore. He regretted for the incident that happen. Jongin felt pressured when he was thinking all of that until he felt like his head wanted to explode like an atom bomb.

“Jagiya?”

Jessica was ready to go to the clinic for her official monthly check-up, which was supposed to be the day before but got changed due to the incident. The man told her that he would have his leavr for a week as he wanted to accompany Jessica and also to ‘cool down’ himself from the shocking yesterday's incident.

“Jagi~” she whined cutely to Jongin and only then the man could finally hear her.

“Y-Yes?” the man responded.

“O … kay, why do you sound so nervous? What is this?”

Jessica quickly took the note from Jongin’s hand. Jongin wasn’t fast enough to take the note back from her, and in the end, just allowed her to read it.

“Jongin, regarding our divorce case, I’ll find my lawyer a.s.a.p, and I hope you’ll do the same too. My phone is always available, so call me if anything. Take care. Kyungsoo,” she read it loudly then looked back at Jongin once she finished it.

She could see how unhappy Jongin was looking. She bit her lower lip, put the note on the coffee table and then sat next to the man.

“Jongin …” she called while her hand rubbed Jongin’s left knuckles softly. “I know you’re upset, but you can’t change because of this. We’ll go through this together, right? You should focus on our lives from now on. Once our baby is born, we’ll get married, and we’ll live as a happy family. I promise that I’ll give you more love and happiness than Kyungsoo ever gave you, and when you have all that, eventually you’ll forget about her.”

“I—I know Jessy,” he weakly replied.

“Will you forget about this for a while? I mean, today’s the day where both of us are supposed to be happy because we’re going to know about our baby’s progress together. So, will you?” the pregnant woman spoke again; smiling gorgeously to her fiancé.

Jongin was smiling also when he saw her expression and softly the woman’s head.

“Alright,” he said.

“Well now up, up. I’m ready. Let’s go.”

Jongin immediately replied her with a ‘yes’ and then walked out from the living room together. 

 

******

 

“Urm, Jess. You get inside the car first. I think I left my wallet upstairs,” Jongin told, and the woman nodded her head as she didn’t want the conversation to go on any longer.

“Sure.”

Jongin ran to his bedroom to start searching. He checked on the table lamp, in the drawers, on the make-up table but his wallet was still nowhere to be found. The last destination he went was the wardrobe.

“I must’ve put it in my coat.”

Jongin opened the wardrobe widely and then took out the coat that he wore a day ago. He searched through the pocket and luckily could find his wallet.

“Ahah! I knew you’re here,” he told, as if the wallet could hear him. “Now I’m ready,” he said again.

Just as he wanted to close the wardrobe, his eyes suddenly got attracted to the clothes that were hanging neatly next to his. Most of them were just simple blouses and man’s shirts with almost the same design but different colors which belonged to the woman who was once known as his wife; Kyungsoo. By looking at that, Jongin’s heart sank.

“Kyungsoo-yah …” he uttered her name in a low voice and touched the clothes.

Kyungsoo had never been demanding to him, Jongin could clearly remember. She never once asked him to buy her expensive dresses, jewelries or any other expensive things for her. Kyungsoo lived a simple life; simple style. Make-up was beyond to her liking. The only day that Jongin was ever able to see her wearing a dress and make-up was on their wedding day. There was this one time when Kyungsoo decided to change herself to look like a pretty lady in front of Jongin so that the husband would feel proud to have a pretty wife, but it turned out to be an epic failed as she didn’t know how to put on great make up and stylish dress. It resulted with her in a crying mess. Jongin found that she looked really cute at that time.

He remembered telling her, “You don’t have to force yourself to change, yeobo. Just be yourself. I’m proud to call you my wife, and I’m your husband because the Kyungsoo whom I love and got married with is someone who is different than any women I’ve known before. And that is why my love towards her grows stronger day by day, and it will last forever.”

Sometimes, ‘forever’ meant nothing to some people. While he was remembering that, his eyes were already b with tears. 

 

 

******

 

(Hospital)

“How is he doctor? Is the boy alright?” Both men asked at the same time as soon as the female doctor came out from the emergency room and walked to them.

When Kyungsoo fainted, Sehun and the other man were the one who quickly got out from their car to help her. Sehun didn’t know that she was actually Jongin’s wife because the said man had never showed him a picture of his wife before. Not even a single photo of them could be found on Jongin’s table either. What was worse than not knowing she was Jongin’s wife was; Sehun and the elder thought that Kyungsoo was as the same as them. They really thought she is a teenage boy, by looking at her figure. The doctor was just smiling when she heard their question.

“Are you guys the patient’s family?” she asked; not wanting to answer their question first.

“Urm no. We’re the one who found him fainted and sent him here,” Sehun answered.

“Oh. Well in that case, I can’t tell you any further details, but I can tell you that the patient is alright for now. And the patient is a she actually, not he, if you guys want to know,” explained the doctor, resulting her to earn two surprised men. “Haha. I was actually like you guys too just now. Any chance you know her family members, by the way?” she asked again.

“No, we don’t. Maybe you can ask her when she is awake later and doctor, here’s my card. Since the two of us are in hurry, we can’t be here for too long. Can you call and inform me if she awakes? At least we know that she’s really alright,” the other man told his request, and the doctor took the card.

“Sure,” she replied and smiled.

He thanked her and soon after that, he and Sehun left the hospital. 

 

******

 

After the two men disappeared from her view, only then the doctor made her steps to walk to her room. She took out the card that the polite man had given to her from the pocket and then looked at it. A surprised gasp escaped  when she read the name of that man. He was the son of one of the richest late CEO in Seoul; the new CEO of Avenue Company, “Kim Min Seok-ssi,” she muttered surprisingly.   

 

******

 

“I really thought she was a teenage boy,” Sehun told then chuckled as he found how quite funny he was to even think like that while Minseok was just smiling.

Both men got into the car; the younger continued to talk again.

“Hyung, before you send me back to the office, can we have our lunch first? I’m hungry.”

He patted his stomach and then pouted cutely. Minseok didn’t say any word for seconds as he was looking at his wristwatch.

“But your lunch hour has ended 30 minutes ago. You’re gonna get scolded by your boss,” the elder said.

Nah, it’s okay. Just for today. Okay, cuzzy?” Please, please, please,” the younger coaxed in which resulting Minseok to laugh.

“You’re 27, but why is your five-year-old trick still working for me? Such a baby. No wonder you’re still single.”

Minseok laughed again and then started to drive his car. Sehun scoffed lowly and with his made-up Garfield’s eyes and lame voice, he said “Look who’s talking. It’s a 32-year-old single man. I guess we’re just the same,” sarcastically making the other immediately stopped from laughing.

“Y-Ya!”

“1-0 hyung. I win.”

Sehun quickly interrupted, making Minseok dumfounded for seconds. The only thing that he could say after that was just, “Aish~!”