FOUR

The Sacrifice *HIATUS*

 

FOUR

 

“Yo-You?!” 

“W-Why yeobo? What’s wrong?” Jongin asked, nervousness quietly built inside him, but still, he tried to sound normal.

Kyungsoo heard Jongin and turned nervous herself. She shook her head thrice while saying ‘nothing’ as she tried to cover up her act. Stupid Kyungsoo. She should have just said that she knew who Jessica was and settled this love triangle issue right away but she didn’t. Instead, she decided to prolong the issue. Rather than chasing Jessica away, she nicely invited her to come in. Rather than letting Jessica carried her own things, she offered herself to help her.  What was she thinking at that time, Kyungsoo didn’t know how to answer either.  Her body was controlling her to do good things; pushing away the negative thoughts she had that moment.

 

 

******

 

“Here’s your room Sooyeon-ssi.”

Kyungsoo showed after she opened the door.

“N-ne. Please, just call me Jessica. You don’t have to be so formal. It makes me feel uneasy.”

Jessica insisted, and Kyungsoo nodded as saying that she understood.

“Alright! Jess, why don’t we put your things here first then unpack it after we have our dinner,” Jongin suggested, earning good responses from both women.

 

******

 

While they were having dinner, Jongin was telling Jessica about him and Kyungsoo; started with how they first met till now. It was just an act that he did in order to make the situation seemed like a normal conversation between best friends who had just met each other after few years later that didn’t know about the newest story of their lives. Jessica was playing a good act too in making the expressions and responses of a person who for the first time was hearing the story.  Jongin did tell Kyungsoo that they met last year, but they didn’t really get the chance to sit at the coffee shop to talk.

When Kyungsoo had it enough with Jongin telling Jessica about them, she finally came out with her question for Jessica.

“What about you, Sooyeon? Since when have you and Jongin known each other?” 

Jessica wanted to answer her question, but Jongin had talk first.

“Kyungsoo yeobo, I forgot to tell you that Jess here is actually an onnie to you,” he informed.

“Really? I-I’m sorry Sooyeon onnie. Really sorry,” she immediately apologized, and Jessica told her that she didn’t mind at all.

“You’re cute, Kyungsoo-yah. No wonder Jongin loves you,” she chuckled.

Kyungsoo smiled uneasily after she received the praise while Jongin was staring lovingly at his fiancée. 

“Hmm … she seems likes she is really Jongin’s best friend. Was it only a misunderstanding? No! She was kissing Jongin’s cheek in that photo. Or is it a normal thing that they always do? Absolutely not! Jongin’s a married man and so is she; a married woman. Even if they’re best friend, they aren’t supposed to act like that. I’m so confused!”

“As for me, I met Jongin when I was sixteen.”

Jessica started the made-up story that both she and Jongin had plotted to be told to Kyungsoo if she asked about their first met. Before she met Jongin, she already had a best friend named Eli who is her husband now. Jongin was a year older than both of them. The three of them got along; doing almost everything together. When she turned twenty, she got married to Eli, and they moved overseas and since that, they lost contact.

“Ooo … yeobo is 27 now, and you guys just met last year so, for six years you guys didn’t contact each other,” Kyungsoo stated and Jessica nodded.

To be honest, Kyungsoo didn’t really want to believe the story, but she pretended like she did. She was confused. If indeed the story was true, Jessica might be a two timer just like Jongin too. Kyungsoo was in a very big dilemma. She wanted to tell them to explain and solve her curiosity by showing the picture that she had found, but at the same time, she didn’t want to create a fight. People always said it was not worth it to stay with a two timer, but they also said that everyone deserves a second chance. That was confusing.

It was easier said than done, for people who have experienced the same situation like Kyungsoo, you aren’t able to think rationally. Making the right decision was quite impossible although they thought that they really had made the right one. Kyungsoo didn’t want to lose Jongin. In fact, she couldn’t live without him. Beside her father, Jongin was also her everything. She didn’t want to let go the savior of her life and let him be with someone else.

 

******

 

Kyungsoo had finished washing the dishes and helping Jessica unpacked her things; it was time to sleep.

“But before that Jongin-ah, can I talk to you for a while? Just the two of us. Do you mind?” Jessica asked.

Jongin turned to his wife as he wanted to know Kyungsoo’s answer.  Jongin of course didn’t mind about it but Kyungsoo might.

“It won’t be long Kyungsoo-yah … can I? I won’t steal your husband anyway,” she joked, but it didn’t make Kyungsoo laughed.

“I’ll be waiting for you in the room yeobo,” Kyungsoo informed and then gave Jongin a peck on his lips before heading upstairs.

 

******

 

When the couple was sure that Kyungsoo had already entered her bedroom, they started to talk.

“What is it, babe?” Jongin kissed her on the lips and slowly wrapped his arms around her thin waist.

“Nothing important. Just wanna spend a quick time with my man first before he heads to his wife after this,” she replied; receiving another kiss from Jongin.

She wrapped her arms around Jongin’s neck, and they spent their time kissing each other.  

“I love you,” she mumbled as soon as they broke the kiss.

“I love you too, babe. More than anything,” Jongin replied.

 

‘More than anything’

 

Her world collapsed the minute those words transmitted inside her ears. Tears like always would play the best role during moment like this. Kyungsoo felt useless. What was her right as a wife? She felt like she was the one who became the ‘disturber’ to the lovers. Her tears were immediately wiped up as soon as she saw Jongin was about to go upstairs. She quietly went back inside the room. Kyungsoo lay on the bed, pretended to be asleep.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin called sweetly. “Hmm … I thought you were waiting for me,” he mumbled while resting one arm around Kyungsoo’s waist as he lay down on the bed.

Startled, he received a peck on his lips and heard a giggle. 

“I was just pretending, yeobo,” she  said.

 

******

 

(click here) listen while reading

 

The two hadn’t gone to sleep yet because Kyungsoo told him that she wasn’t sleepy. As both of them were in a sitting position, Kyungsoo rested her head on Jongin’s broad shoulder.

“Yeobo,” she called with a soft voice while her hands were busy playing with her husband’s fingers.

“Ehm?” Jongin hummed.

“Can I tell you something?”

“Course. What is it?”

Kyungsoo moved to sit opposite Jongin so that they would face each other. Jongin was just smiling while looking at his cutie pie. Kyungsoo bit her lower lip, lowering her head so they would avoid eye contact. While twiddling her thumbs, she finally spoke with a soft tone.

“You know what? During our wedding day … the time when you said your vow, I felt like … I felt like I am the luckiest person in the world. The thought of you’ve officially become my husband; that you’re the one who’s going to protect me, love me and stay with me forever, I couldn’t ask for more. I’m thankful to God for fating me with you. You’re the nicest man I’ve ever had apart from my dad. When I’ve reached the point where I didn’t feel like I wanted to live in this world anymore, you suddenly appeared in my life and became my savior.

You’re the person who has become the reason for me to continue living. People were trying to avoid me as best as they could, but you … you were the opposite. You dared to step out and approach me—teaching me that not everyone in this world hates me.  You’ve done so many things for me, and I couldn’t say how thankful and happy I was for that, yeobo. I love you, so much! Only God knows how much do I love you, yeobo. If … if one day we might be separated, I want death becomes the only reason. I can’t afford to see you being with someone else, if that ever happens.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t hold herself from crying, and it surprised Jongin when he saw that. He quickly took an action.

“Hey, hey, hey, yeobo, what’s wrong? Why are you crying and being so emotional tonight?” he asked while wiping the tears of his wife using his thumbs.

Truth was, he didn’t actually get the hidden meaning of Kyungsoo’s words. Jongin smiled and then caressed her cheek.

“Don’t cry, eo? Me too, I’m thankful to God also for letting you entered my life and built a life together,” he said, causing Kyungsoo to cry even more.

The fact that she already knew that her husband was cheating couldn’t make her completely believed what Jongin had said.

 

******

 

3:00 a.m. in the morning and Jongin had successfully made Kyungsoo fell asleep. Kyungsoo was being too emotional that night, Jongin swore. He chuckled as he remembered about that. Kyungsoo was being way too cute. He switched off the table lamp and got ready to sleep also. But before that, he gave a kiss on Kyungsoo’s forehead and stared at her face although he couldn’t really see it in the dark.

 

“If … if one day we might be separated, I want death becomes the only reason. I can’t afford to see you being with someone else, if that ever happens.”

 

“Forgive me, Kyungsoo-yah … I’m very sorry …” he said sadly in his heart.