PROLOGUE

The Sacrifice *HIATUS*

PROLOGUE

 

‘You may kiss your bride’

 

 

 

Kyungsoo stared on her wedding ring with a warm smile. Her thought was of the happiest moment in her life—her wedding day. She had officially become Mrs. Kim Kyung Soo, the beloved wife of Mr. Kim Jong In; the man she loved with her whole being. It seemed unbelievable to be honest, that this had really happened. Kyungsoo had always felt insecure about her physical appearance. She was not exactly physically normal, and yet she was given the opportunity to build a normal marriage like other women did. She remembered how some people treated her as if she was worthless, but in the end, she was given the opportunity to have something that others hoped for a happy life with the one who truly saw her.

“Kyungsoo?”

The voice of her husband had snapped her out from her thought. She turned to him with her heart-shape-lips in a broad smile.

“Yeobo-yah, good morning,” she greeted.

Her husband; Jongin, walked toward her who was standing at the balcony of their room. Gently, he wrapped his arms around her which causing her to giggle. Kyungsoo looked up, still plastering her warmest smile  as Jongin placed a loving kiss on her cheek.

“Morning to you too, yeobo.”

Jongin had morning breath, messy hair and swollen eyes. However, he still looked like the most iest person in Kyungsoo’s eyes. 

“Let’s make breakfast together,” Jongin suggested as he hugged Kyungsoo from behind while resting his chin on her shoulder and proceeded to kiss the shell of her left ear.

 

EXOEXOEXOEXOEXOEXO

 

Kyungsoo had never felt this happy in her life. She enjoyed and appreciated every moment they had spent together since they got married. She was thankful for having Jongin in her life; for he accepted her just the way she was and every day that went by, she found herself falling more in love with him. 

 

EXOEXOEXOEXOEXOEXO

 

A year later, they started to think about having kids. Jongin  decided to bring Kyungsoo for a consultation from the experts to see if there was anything that could be done to resolve Kyungsoo’s problem. He knew the percentage of Kyungsoo getting pregnant was low; however, they couldn’t give up. He was willing to use all he had as long as the doctors were willing to try their best. Kyungsoo saw how endless Jongin’s effort was and made the decision to join him. 

 

EXOEXOEXOEXOEXOEXO

 

Another year had passed, but they were still childless despite all the surgeries Kyungsoo had undergone to strengthen her reproductive system so that she would be able to bear a child. The operations didn’t guarantee that they could get a child nor that they would never had one. This situation sometimes made Kyungsoo feel depressed and disappointed. Jongin, being the best husband he could be, would always be right by her side, encouraging her to not lose faith and to keep praying.

Although as much as he was a sweet, lovable, and understanding husband, Jongin was still an ordinary human being. He couldn’t always be nice and kind 24/7. Three years after their marriage, Kyungsoo noticed that her beloved prince charming had changed. It was just tiny changes to his behavior, but it still left an impact on her. This made Kyungsoo questioned on everything.

 

******

 

“So, how was it?”

Jongin asked as Kyungsoo walked out from the washroom. A little excitement could be heard from his tone. Kyungsoo bit her lips while lowering her head. She handed the pregnancy stick slowly to Jongin, who took it without hesitation.

Negative; the same result as always.

Kyungsoo glanced at Jongin when she could feel the tensed silent and clearly saw his expression. He wasn’t smiling anymore. He looked … mad, and it was her first time seeing such a face of Jongin. A sudden guilt built up inside her. She flinched when she heard Jongin let out a loud sigh as he angrily threw the stick on the couch.

“Is he mad at me?” Kyungsoo sadly stared at her husband.

“Let’s just go to sleep,” he said with a stern voice and immediately walked to the bed without looking at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo nodded her head following her husband. Jongin was already lying down on the bed, back facing his wife. It was his first time doing that. Kyungsoo felt like crying. She could definitely sense something was not right. Jongin was treating her like she was no longer his wife.

“Jo—Jongin?” she called with a soft-trembling voice while touching his shoulder.

“Sleep, Kyungsoo!” he said sternly, making Kyungsoo startled.

That wasn’t Jongin. Jongin never would treat her that way. Tears were already streaming down on her puffy cheeks. She didn’t know why he was mad at her; it wasn’t her fault she couldn’t get pregnant. He wasn’t supposed to blame her, or get mad at her. Was the pregnancy issue really the reason behind his changing behavior?

Despite being treated that way, Kyungsoo still placed a peck on her husband’s cheek as a good night kiss and fortunately, Jongin didn’t refuse.

She lay there for a while before forcing herself to sleep. 

 

******

 

Jongin woke up at 7 the next morning without Kyungsoo beside him. It wasn’t a surprise. He knew that his wife was definitely in the kitchen preparing breakfast like always. Jongin lazily got up and made his way out from the bedroom. Before he could walk downstairs to meet her, he was stopped by Kyungsoo’s voice coming from the baby’s room where they had already built.

Jongin was wondering what his wife could be doing. He took slow steps toward the room. The door was slightly opened, and he peeked on his wife to find out what she was doing. From there, he saw his wife was standing next to the baby’s bed while humming a lullaby as if she was looking at her sleeping baby. Jongin could clearly see his wife’s upset face. She was smiling, but her eyes were filled with hot tears.

 

Jongin’s heart ached when he saw this.

“How mommy wished that you exist. How mommy wished that I could get pregnant and give birth to you. How mommy wished that I could make your daddy feels completely happy, as we build our happy family together,” Kyungsoo said with trembling voice as she tried to hold back the tears.

She bit her lower lip, staring around the white room. Since they wouldn’t know the gender of their baby if she ever got pregnant, they chose white to fit both genders. 

 

                                                                           

 

“I really want this room to be filled with your cute laughter, your cries every time you’re hungry and while you sleep, I would hum you a lullaby.  I really want to go through all that.” 

Tears were streaming down her already moist cheeks. Kyungsoo sobbed while covering her face with her palms. She didn’t know why she was being so emotional at that moment. Remembering the incident that happened between Jongin and her was making her more upset.

Jongin couldn’t take it anymore. He couldn’t bear to see his wife in such situation. He knew he had been a jerk to Kyungsoo and he hated himself for that. Jongin quickly stormed inside the room and hugged his crying wife. Kyungsoo was completely surprised with Jongin’s sudden appearance and his attempt to console her.  

“Yeo—yeobo,” she muttered in a low voice.

Jongin tightened his hug as he placed his head on her shoulder.

“Forgive me, yeobo. Forgive me, Kyungsoo-yah. I didn’t mean to treat you like that. I was being an . Please don’t say those things. I’m happy Kyungsoo. I’m happy living with you. I really am. I love you so much!”