Alternate Ending

Last Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(alternate ending)

Sunmi watched the nurses put Luhan on the stretcher. There was blood everywhere. Blood was gushing from his head and she could hear his faint coughs. Lujin was already running to Luhan. His endless hiccups and tears streaming from his eyes made the people that crowded the scene pity him. It was such a heartbreaking scene where the child witnessed how his father got hit by a car.

It was as if her whole life flashed before her. She couldn’t feel her heart beat anymore. It was as if it wasn’t beating anymore. She didn’t want to breathe – do anything to be exact. She was afraid that the moment she does something, it would just signify and bring her back to reality that time is ticking. Time was ticking for Luhan’s life to be saved.

“Please, move!” one of the nurses shouted as they rushed Luhan to the emergency room. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Luhan’s half-lidded eyes looking at her. His tears were falling and his mouth was agape, trying to catch his breath. It was only then when it dawned on her that Luhan’s life was in danger.

Her whole body surrendered to the physical and mental abuse she was experiencing. That was when she experienced her whole body’s pain and that feeling deep inside her heart – a feeling that she couldn’t say into words. It was excruciating, mortifying and whatever you name it. It was so bad that words couldn’t fit what she was actually feeling.

Lujin, on the other hand was going berserk. He was wailing so loud and kept on struggling from his aunty Chae Rin’s hold. He wanted to run to Luhan and just hug him. He wanted him to wake up and tell him and show him that he was fine, but that was far from what was happening.

The nurses had no choice but to inject Lujin and Sunmi with medicine to relax them and put them to sleep.

-

One hour.

Two hours.

Three hours.

Three hours had passed. The moment Sunmi woke up, at first she thought it was a dream – a horrible dream, but when she opened her eyes, she couldn’t help but cry. She was frightened of what reality had for her. She was crying even without knowing the results yet. She didn’t want to think about the worst scenarios that were possible. She just wanted her mind to stop thinking at the moment.

Mrs. Lu was in the room with them. It was only her and Sunmi’s mother with her. She looked at Mrs. Lu and saw her swollen eyes and red nose. She grew more perturbed and bit her lips hard, trying to stop herself from crying more.

Mrs. Lu was a very sweet and calm woman. She knew how to calm people down and say harsh words in a better and not-so-harsh tone, but still making sure the listener would get what she was trying to say. For some reason, Sunmi hated it at that moment. She just wanted to know what happened to Luhan. Was he alive or… gone?

“Sunmi,” Mrs. Lu called softly and Sunmi closed her eyes. She just suddenly became so emotional and the overwhelming feelings slowly crept upon her skin. Each passing second felt like forever to her. It was a very torturous moment for her.

Realizing that she scared Sunmi with her appearance, – bloodshot and swollen eyes, dried up tears on her face and red nose – she panicked. “No, Sunmi, don’t cry.” She didn’t know whether to pat Sunmi’s head or hold her hand. It was a personality that Luhan got from her. She was like a child whenever she panics and she was still a child at heart just like Luhan.

“Luhan wouldn’t want to see you cry. He wouldn’t want you to suffer more than you already have.” Mrs. Lu thought that Sunmi got her message, however, Sunmi interpreted it the wrong way.

The door opened and Mr. Lu came in the room. He was careful with his words and actions as he knew as well that Sunmi was still in a crucial stage not only physically, but also mentally.

Finally finding her voice to talk, she slowly but composedly asked, “Luhan, h-he is watching from above. Is that what you mean?” She thought she wouldn’t choke on her own words, but she was proven wrong. She had underestimated the power of the emotions that were being kept in. Right after she asked, she immediately choked a sob.

“Oh God, no!” Mrs. Lu waved her hands in dismissal and quickly looked at Mr. Lu who sighed heavily.

“What she mean is, Luhan wouldn’t want to see you in this state once you see each other—“

“—In heaven?”

Mrs. Yun finally butted in, “Sunmi, let them talk first. You really have to stop cutting people in the middle of the sentence. You will keep on getting the incomplete and wrong idea.”

Sunmi shut in an instant and kept silent. She avoided Mr. Lu’s eyes as he continued his sentence earlier, “What I was trying to say is—“ he stopped talking when he saw how Sunmi’s eyes were closed, as if she was waiting for the worst. “Okay, I’ll get straight to the point. Lujin is with Luhan in his room. He woke up an hour ago and –“

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter