Time is on Your Side

*Whispers* Park Hyoshin

"I can't believe you made us climb this hill. My feet are hurting." Mirae grumbled. She trudged behind the determined Hongbin who just put one foot after another like it was no buisness. Meanwhile, Mirae felt like she was suffering a heat despite being in shorts, and she was convinced that her left lung had ruptured.

They had managed to sneak out of the private school and taken a bus to an abandoned area. At first Mirae was shocked that places like this existed around Seoul. Because of the capital city, it was rare to see any greenery around anymore. But now, since they had been climbing a huge hill, to where god knows where the cockroach was leading them, it felt like hell. 

Mirae groaned more, Hongbin trying hard to ignore her constant whines, just rolled his eyes.

Mirae became clumsy in her steps and her foot caught onto the rubber stretch band, making her fall (unattractively) on the ground with a thud. Hongbin, who's back was turned to Mirae looked over the side of his shoulder to see what had caused the thud. 

"You're not very bright, are you?" Hongbin teased. 

"Shut up." Mirae said under her breath, with a slight smile. She sensed that he had in a playful manner, because the way his tone was, wasn't of dissapointment and resentment, but more along the lines of amusing and good-natured. This left Mirae a bit bewildered. Just this morning they were ready to bite each other's heads off...and now they were somewhat tame and were willing to tolerate each other.

Hongbin watched Mirae struggle every step of the way they were going. Her tongue stuck out, her eyebrows furrowed as she dusted the grass and dirt of her small hands. Every now and then she would glance and glare at the sun. She would sometimes sigh and pout slightly like a child. Hongbin bit his cheek from chuckling at her movements. Why hadn't he noticed them before? She was still a year younger than him, but by the way she acted she looked like sometimes she had the tendency to act like a four year old. 

This amused Hongbin, greatly. 

Mirae breathed before collapsing on the flat area on the top of the hill they had reached. Hongbin sat beside her, worldessly taking out two water bottles from his backpack. He handed one to Mirae who didn't even care if the cockroach had poisoned it. She was dying for water. She took a sip and instantly filled better. She looked around her and gasped loudly at the scenery. She saw emerald green fields beyond the hill that they sat on, filled with beautiful trees and glowers and all sort of vegetation of different colours. In the midst of it all sat a lake where the water sparkled from the sun's reflection. Mirae's mouth dropped in awe at the sight. She hadn't seen such a beautiful setting ever before in her life. Not even pictures were as pretty compared to it.

Hongbin eyed her from the corner of his eye. He wore a side smile and chcukled under his breath. She look goofy and.....cute. He took out his most prized possession, his bulky black camera. "Like what you see?" Hongbin asked Mirae. She nodded enthusiastically. "I've never been here before, where are we?" Mirae asked. Hongbin clicked away on his camera, not answering. Mirae brushed it off and began to admire the scenery around her. She sat sprawled on the grass as she admired the clouds above. 

Hongbin clicked away on his camera, panning it so he got the shots. He clicked away turning his body, when suddenly, his camera focused on Mirae. For some reason, Hongbin took a shot of her. He looked at it, somehow shocked at what he saw. The picture was so...perfect it had almost made his heart completly stop. Hongbin looked at the photo admiring the girl sitting in the midst of a green field. Her pale complexion glowed for some odd reason; the sun could not compare to the radiance Mirae was giving off in the photo. Her eyes were curved into almost an eye smile, where Hongbin caught a glimpse of a sparkle in her eye. She smiled so brightly in the photo, carefree and happy, the likes of which Hongbin had never seen. He was dumbfounded, a lump had formed in his throat. No wonder she was a model, she gave off a different vibe. 

Mirae noticed Hongbin staring at the small camera screen, perplexed. Mirae was curious as to what he was looking at and peeked over to see. With quick reflexes, Hongbin shoved his camera into his backpack. 

"I can't see the picture?" Mirae whined

"No." Hongbin said firmly. 

Mirae pouted before quickly being distracted by two bunny rabbits running across the field. She squealed a little and clapped her hands, pointing at the two rabbits. Hongbin, qith quick reflexes took out his camera to snap pictures of the bunny rabbit. After they had ran away. Mirae watched Hongbin intently. He looked so professional with his camera in his hand. He clicked away, pursing his lips and slightly adjusting the camera lens. Mirae cocked her head to the side, observing Hongbin.

Hongbin could sense her gaze on him. 
"What is it?" Hongbin asked. He clicked a few photos before putting his camera down. Mirae shook her head. She asked again "Where is this place?" 

"Can't you tell? It's a park." Hongbin said. Mirae huffed, brushing some bangs out of her face. "I know that, but I've never seen it before in my entire life." 

Hongbin pursed his lips before taking a sip of water. "Yeah you probably wouldn't have. This park was abandoned a while ago. You won't see it on most maps either. That's why there is so much wild life and biodiversity over here. Its because us people aren't tampering with it or trying to build some huge useless scyscraper here either."

"..." Mirae watched the scenery a bit more. It was true, most of the parks in the city were already dying, with dead flowers, dried dirt and brown grass. Come to think of it, the park had no network, it was totally abandoned.

"Anyways," Hongbin set his cardigan down on the grass, "You might as well make yourself comfortable, we aren't leaving for quite a while."

Mirae nodded, laying out her red cardigan onto the grass. She sipped her water. The atmosphere had become a little awkward, so Mirae took out the assignment sheet given by the director about the questions they had to ask each other. She cleared .

"So...when's your birthday?"

"September 29th 1993." Hongbin stretched his arms above his head. He set them down and looked over at Mirae. "You?"

"November 28 1994." Mirae responded. 

Hongbin nodded. "Our golden years are in the same year." Mirae's eyes widened. "Huh. I never noticed that."

Hongbin smirked. "Of course you didn't, it's because I'm just so smart." Mirae made gagging noises. Hongbin rolled his eyes and smiled. "Let me take a look at that." Mirae handed him the paper. 

"Hmm..." Hongbin read the paper. 

"Mirae?" Hongbin asked. Mirae was startled to hear him call her by her real name. 

"Y-yeah?"

Hongbin looked in her direction. "It's nothing." Mirae shrugged.

"So...Park Hyoshin." Hongbin said. Mirae's heart fluttered at just the mention of his name.

"What about him?" Mirae asked. 

"Why do you like Park Hyoshin so much?" Hongbin asked. Mirae her lips, biting down a bit, wondering how she would explain it.

"Remember when we were at the school and I told you that my dad had left me?" Mirae said. Hongbin nodded. Mirae took a deep breath before continuing. "Well, before my dad had left, I had very happy memories with him in my young and short childhood. We would often sit together, and my father would read to me, and from what I can remember, he always had a Park Hyoshin album playing. It was serene and peaceful and I loved it when my father put his music on because I have always been enchanted with his voice. Although..." Mirae hesitated.

"Although?" Hongbin urged.

"The day my father had left. I had found one of his CDs he had left without coming back for it, and it was Park Hyoshin's Things I can't do for you, it was also one of my dad's most favourite Park Hyoshin album. The moment it fell on my foot, the thought that my dad wasn't going to come back fully sank in. I clutched the CD jacket while listening to the song on the CD player on low volume so my mother couldn't hear, I cried myself to sleep." Mirae shook her head, as if the thought pained her. She smield brightly, "He's perfect isn't he? Park Hyoshin sunbaenim." Hongbin looked at Mirae with a form of admiration. He nodded his head laughing. 

"Of course he is." Hongbin smiled, genuinely, but for some reason, it made Mirae's heart skip a beat. She instantly felt guilty thinking of Ken. 

They sat there laughing and talking for the rest of the day, too tired to even move after climbing that hill. Night had begun to fall and the lake still sparkled but now under the moonlight. Hongbin took a few more pictures and joked around. Mirae looked at the time on her phone; it was almost ten. They had to get going.

Fortunately enough, it wasn't that much effort going down the hill as it was climbing up it. Hongbin waved over a taxi, before they both climbed in. 

Mirae was feeling immensely sleepy, but for some reason she had felt relieved that she was finally on good terms with Hongbin. As they sat inside the Taxi, Hongbin watched the city lights, taking pictures of them with his camera from the window. When suddenly he felt a thuf on his shoulder. Mirae's eyes were shut. Her long eyelashes floating and brushing out making her look peaceful. Her light breathing could barely be detected. Hongbin lowerd his camera down, careful not to twitch the shoulder Mirae was sleeping on. It suddenly felt extremely hot inside the taxi, despite the air conditioning being . He felt uncomfortable and his heart was pounding loudly in his ear...which puzzled him. 

The taxi had stopped in front of the Jellyfish Dorm building. Hongbin lightly shook Mirae. Mirae who was still groggy from her sleep, rubbed her eyes with her balled fists. She stepped outside the car with Hongbin, closing the door behind her. 

"MIRAE!" a familiar voice called out in Hongbin and Mirae's direction. Somebody ran past Hongbin, embracing Mirae. 

Ken held Mirae in his arms, supporting her sleepy head with his hand. He smiled. 

"Ken.." Mirae murmured in her still sleepy state. She smiled drowsily up at her boyfriend. Ken kissed her forehead. Hongbin watched them both, his heart lurched, his head going all fuzzy. He felt a lump develop in his throat.

Why, though?

"I missed you so much! Where were you two?" Ken aske Mirae, eyeing Hongbin. 

"Places. Hyung, I'll tell you in the morning." Hongbin answered, feigning sleep. He left stretching his sore arms, going inside the building, leaving Ken and Mirae alone. 

Ken smiled, before lightly kissing Mirae on her lips. He smiled at her, craddling her a little in his arms. She was tired, and he was too paranoid to send her by Taxi.

"Jagi...do you want me to drive you home?" Ken offered.

Mirae looked up "Is that too much to ask?" she looked worried, after all, she didn't want to be a burden to Ken. Ken smiled.

"It would be my honour." He hugged her.

"Sorry for causing you to worry. You were probably worried sick all day." Mirae felt a bit guilty, resting her head against Ken's warm chest. Ken buried his face into her hair.

"It's okay, Jagiya."

 

Hongbin shut the door behind him. His heart was sunken. He had no idea why, though. He was probably really tired. For some reason, he felt quite depressed, even though the entire day was filled with happy memories with Mirae. Hongbin looked at the picture he had taken of Mirae earlier, it ad not changed, but still continued to look perfect. It still mesmerized him. He put the camera down on the nearest coffee table. He sighed loudly before trudging into one of the rooms to get his change of clothes before trudging into a bathroom. He locked the door behind him, planning to take his time in the shower.

N watched Hongbin drag his feet into the bathroom, without noticing or saying a word to his hyung. He had also seen Mirae and Ken together outside. Leo walked out of the kitchen, with a bowl of steaming ramen in his hand. N walked over to Leo.

"Leeeooo yaaaaa." N called out, making Leo cringe. 

"Am I the only one who finds this whole thing fishy, did you see the way Hongbin reacted to Mirae and Ken~" N pushed his hands up to cup his own face, "Omo~ he's jealous. Our beanie is jealous ottoke~"

"Shut up, please." Leo said calmly before walking the opposite direction. Leo turned to face N, "Let them figure it out for themselves. You don't need to get involved." Leo closed the door behind him. 

N smiled at his best friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: huehuehuehue I'm still having the Kenbin crisis. 

Anyways Exams are still going on, but I just needed a break from studying, so I wrote this chapter instead :)

Hope you like it <3