Chapter 2

Dreaming of Forever

As I sat down at my seat in front of the stage, I looked at the girls around me, all dressed in skirts and crop tops with heavy make-up, done-up hair and overly large posters screaming SHINee, I LOVE YOU, SHAWOL WORLD, or the members’ names. I laughed to myself and shook my head. All I had was my SHINee glow stick, with slightly wavy hair from my shower, my long pea coat (I don’t know how these girls are wearing skirts in this weather), my leather bag, my dark washed jeans and a dark blue pleated lace shirt. I looked at the clock on my phone:

7:10

            The concert obviously hadn’t started yet, because everyone was still sitting down. I wondered how long it took Jonghyun to get here, and how bad s and his manager probably freaked out because of how late he probably was, and laughed to myself.

Then everyone started to stand up and chant something.

            It started out quiet at first, but grew with astonishing rapidity to the echo of ‘SHINee’. I could hear it over and over again:

“SHIN...EE! SHIN...EE! SHIN...EE! SHIN...EE...”

            I joined in too, just as the lights began to fade, and everyone started cheering, the large crowd continuing to stand up. Nothing happened at first, then music started to play, and I recognized the song immediately.

Everybody.

I had no idea how they had gotten out there so quickly, but the stage lit up with lights, and the members began to dance, starting with Key, who jumped up and did his quick arm stretch, then point at the next member. They all looked good in their suits, even Jonghyun who didn’t look even the slightest out of breath, even though he had ran here. Thinking about what had happened between us made my face feel warm. I couldn’t believe I had actually kissed him… It felt like a dream. I watched Jonghyun with unintended curiosity. He looked good. Hot. y. I wouldn’t mind if I met him again, but I definitely wouldn’t be as awkward. I also wouldn’t mind if I met his eyes.

And just as I thought that, he did. And he smiled at me. I couldn’t believe it. I felt like I would start hyperventilating, and my heart would explode. All I could think about what his smile, and how straight and white his teeth were, and how beautiful he was. Quick to change my mind, because I knew that if I thought of that, I would want something and it would never work between us, I focused on the lyrics, yelling them out with my fellow Shawols. Everything went quickly. The dancing, the singing, all too fast.

As they finished the song, the lights faded out, and SHINee fell to the ground. The lights lit the stage just enough to see them sinking into it, and the arms going down.

Ah, I thought. That’s how they got onto the stage so quickly.

The lights quickly turned back on a few minutes later, and you could see the members standing on stage in a straight line, with exotic attire.

They’re going to sing ‘Symptoms’ next. I thought next, and I was right. The five beats sounded the beginning of the song, then Jonghyun looked up and began singing, then they broke apart. I listened to the lilt of Jonghyun’s voice every time he finished a note, admiring how smoothly he slid from note to note, my being a singer myself once. His phrasing was good. His pronunciation something a performer at Carnage Hall would envy. My god, I would not mind kissing him again. I watched their dance, eyeing the body roll Key does in the chorus, of the song, and Taemin starting the second part of the song with his confident walk. Then seeing the way Minho bites his lip on his solo with Key. Watching Onew walk between them with his, and listening to Jonghyun again. Some way, my mind always found its way back to Jonghyun. I sang along lightly, following the notes with precisely. Every waver every dip, every slide. It wasn’t complicated, just a little challenging, considering it wasn’t in my native tongue.

The song ended, and the lights faded out as they landed in their final poses, and the stage sinking again for them to change outfits. We all stood for a few minutes expecting them to pop up any moment, and the chant went up again.

“SHIN...EE! SHIN...EE! SHIN.EE! SHIN...EE...”

The lights went up about two minutes later. When the crowds start chanting, that must be a signal to the manager as a sign of impatience. The stage rose slowly, and all the members stood there in a perfect line, with microphones on stands in front of them. This time, they wore their usual rainbow colored outfits, Taemin in yellow, Minho in orange, Key in Red, Jonghyun in blue and Onew in green. I smiled at my good fashion choice, and at the fact that Jonghyun stood directly in front of me, about three feet up on the stage. I looked at him, and found that he was staring at me, no expression on his face.

He must be acting, I thought.

The music began to play, and I laughed slightly.

‘Love Pain’.

Jonghyun smiled, and began to sing. I followed the words with the crowd, watching Jonghyun the whole time, but just as we got to the lyrics right before the chorus, it seemed as if he was singing to me. He watched the crowd as he sang in the beginning, but as he sang the lyrics “You, you, Love Pain.” His eyes slid to me. I got this weird feeling in my stomach, but I ignored it. His eyes stayed on me for the rest of the song, and I felt like I was in my own little world as I repeated the lyrics also. At one point in the song, the girl next to me looked at me, and whispered something furiously to her friend, but I ignored that also. At the very end of the song, as he sang the lyrics “you’re my--- love pain.” He stared at me intently, as if he wanted me to know something, and then the lights faded out. The lights turned back on again a second later, and I could see that the microphone stands had been taken off the stage, and the boys now stood in the center of it, in a circle. A bouncy beat came on and they began moving. The song at first I didn’t recognize, but as they began to sing, it came to my head.

‘Replay’.

            I watched each of them intently, only singing the parts I knew, and noticed how all of them watched me. I looked at Jonghyun who was also staring at me, and he discretely winked, which I don’t even know how he did, but he did to where I only noticed.

He set this up. He told them to stare at me. I smirked. Of course he did. They finished the song with ease, and grabbed their microphones out of the stands, which were taken off of the stage a second later by the staff. They walked up to the edge of the stage, and began talking.

“What’s up SHINee World?!” Jonghyun yells into the microphone.

Everybody screams.

“How is everyone out there?” Key asks.

Everyone screams again.

“Thank you so much for coming out to see us! We are very grateful! Thank you!” Minho says to us, and they all bow to the crowd and say their thanks.

“We hope you continue to enjoy our music and have a fantastic night!” Jonghyun says sweetly, with a Colgate smile that completely reached his eyes. It was obvious to anyone how much fun he was having, and how happy he was.

“But before we continue…” Taemin says, looking at the rest of the team.

“We have a little surprise!”Onew says loudly. Then, slightly embarrassed, looks to Jonghyun.

“I want to bring someone up.” Jonghyun says. Everyone screams wildly as I watch with incredulity.

I knew who he wanted to bring up. I listened carefully, noticing how he payed attention to not mention the person’s gender.

“This person had helped my previously, and had it not been for them, I would not be here right now, but most likely in a hospital.”

A collective gasp escapes the fans.

“And this person means a lot to me.”

Jonghyun looks at me.

“Can I welcome Katerina Hatori to the stage?”

I can cut the tension in the crowd like a knife as Jonghyun points to me.

“You. Come here.”

I can feel the daggers pointing at my back as I slowly walk up to the stage. Jonghyun holds out his hand to help me on stage, while a protective ring of guards surround me.

“Can we please give her a round of applause for saving my life tonight, and ensuring this concert tonight?”

A silence rings out for second, and I have a quick thought that no one was going to do this, but then, a single clap rang out from the crowd, and before I knew it, everyone was cheering. I felt a gratitude swell from my chest. I look at Jonghyun who smiles at me, and pulls me into him to give me a hug, and the crowd goes wild when I hug him back. As he holds me he whispers quickly:

“When I let you go, I want you to walk to the back of the stage. There will be staff back there to show you to SHINee’s dressing room. Wait for me.”

I nod, showing that I understand what to do, not trusting my voice, and walk to the back, of the stage, leaving the confused crowd and Jonghyun behind.

~~~<***>~~~

I was a little depressed about missing the rest of the concert, but I knew I had something much better waiting for me. The dressing room was nice. The door opened up into a rectangular room with polished oak floors and white walls. On the back wall of the room were five dressing mirrors surrounded with light bulbs, and little tables holding all of the boy’s make-up used for their concerts. On the right side of the room were a couch, a small cushioned recliner, and a small coffee table filled with magazines for entertainment. On the left side was a table that held a colorful cake that read: “SHINee WORLD”. I sat at the table for a while, then began wandering around, and looking at the magazines on the table. A little later, a security guard walks in and hands me my leather bag, which I had completely forgotten about when Jonghyun had asked me to jump up on stage with him. I was on the verge of memorized the thirty-second page in the 2013 issue Vogue magazine when I heard the door slowly open. I looked over to the entryway to see who it was, and saw Jonghyun enter a little uncertainly. When he saw me he breathed a sigh of relief.

“Oh, good! I thought for sure you were going to leave.”

He walked over to me and sat down on the couch, just as the rest of the members walked in. I stood up and bowed to each one in turn, saying my hellos to the group quietly, and then sat back down as all of them relaxed around me. Key, on the other side of Jonghyun. Minho in the recliner, and Taemin and Onew at the table.

I cleared my throat, and spoke slowly, so as not to mess up my words.

“It’s very nice to meet you all.”

Onew smiled and looked over at me. “You’re so shy! It’s adorable.” He relaxed in the chair, spreading out his legs. “I didn’t know you were into those kinds of girls Bling Bling.”

Heat rushes up into my cheeks.

Minho laughs lightly. “Ahh! Look! She’s blushing!”

This makes me blush even harder. They all start to laugh, and I smile embarrassingly.

“So!” Key says brightly. “Tell us what happened with the saesangs.”

“Uh…” I start uncertainly, and look at Jonghyun.

“You tell it,” he says. “It’s your story.”

I nod slowly. “Well… I was at the bus stop next to the convenience store, main street, and I saw Jonghyun-“

“Call me oppa.” He says waving his hand, smiling brightly. “This is my favorite part.” He tells everyone else.

I nod again. “Er… Oppa…” I say testing it out, “came out of the alley next to the store, with a group of girls following him closely behind, so I pulled him over to the bench, gave him my coat, and…” I look at Jonghyun, who nods at me, smiling even bigger, as if he was happy that I was extremely embarrassed.

“Please, continue!”

“I c-covered him with my coat, and… and kissed him, while covering us with a newspaper that I had with me at the time.” I say quietly, with my head down.

A chorus of “Oh’s!” and “No way’s” came at me, and I felt even more embarrassed and ashamed at what I did. Then out of the blue, Taemin asks Jonghyun:

“Is she a good kisser?” And everybody starts laughing.

“I’ll say.” He answers, and I feel like I want to melt into the couch.

“You guys, stop. You’re embarrassing her.” Onew says, smiling.

I look at Jonghyun under my eyelashes, and he looks at me, and groans, sitting back into the couch.

“Please do not give me that look. It works every time, and makes me want to kiss you again. And again. And again. So don’t.”

“Bling, stop. You’re probably scaring her.” Minho says, with his eyes closed, relaxing in the recliner.

I look over at him and smile appreciatively, a blush creeping up my neck.

“I need to go.” I say standing up, slipping my bag onto my shoulder.

“Ah but you just got here!” Jonghyun says, pouting.

I apologize to him, “Sorry.”

“At least let me give you my number. So that way you can contact me, and we can hang sometime!” He smiles brightly.

“Er…” I bite my lip.

“Don’t do that. It’s hot, and Jonghyun will have you on the floor in a second if you do it again.”

Jonghyun laughs and I unbite my lip. “Sure.” I say, digging through my bag to find my Iphone 4s that I had just gotten a few months ago, and opening it up into the new contacts section so Jonghyun could add his phone number easily. He types all of the info in, saves it then hands it back to me, standing up.

“I’ll walk you out so you don’t get lost ok?” He says grabbing my hand, not really waiting for an answer.

“Uh, sure.” I answer back as he pulls me out of the room.

“Dude, he so likes her.” I hear Key say as we walk out of the room, the door shutting lightly behind us.

Jonghyun laughs and slows down to walk beside me, still holding my hand. “Don’t listen to them. They are slightly crazy, with a side of schizophrenic.”

I smile, laughing a little.

He smiles even bigger. “I like your smile,” he says, “It really brightens up your face. You look all dark on the outside, then when you smile it looks like you got to see the sun for the first time.”

“Poetic.” Is all I say.

“Mmm your voice sounds like chocolate.”

“And you’re a little weird, but so is everybody. You’re just a little more than most.”

“I get that a lot.”

“I bet you do.”

He laughs heartily, his smile making his squint so much they are almost completely closed.

“I like it when you smile like that. It makes you look truly happy.” I say, staring at him.

He looks at me sideways. “How about I treat you to some coffee before you head home?”

I shake my head. “That’s public. You can’t, or you’ll be recognized.”

“Like that hasn’t happened before.”

“With another girl?”

He hesitates.

“Exactly. Thanks, but no thanks. I don’t want to be the girl that ruins yours and my reputation. I’d like to think I’m better than that.”

He sighs, then stops me. “I tried. Well call me right now so I have your number at least, or you might never call me again.”

I shake my head and dig out my phone again, finding his number. I press the green button and show Jonghyun my phone dialing his number, then going to voicemail.

“Good.” He smiles brightly, then continues to walk to the exit from the backstage. “Please be careful. I would like to see you again sometime ok?” He says with a half smile.

“I will.” I say, nodding, then pushing open the door. He grabs my arm, stopping me.

“Promise me.”

“I promise.” I say smiling, “now let me go, so I can go home and get some sleep.”

He lets go, with his hand up in defense. “All right. Go home, get some sleep, and call me so I can get you tickets and a backstage pass to my next concert.”

I laugh. “Alright. Bye.”

He leans in a kisses me on the cheek. “Bye.” Then walks off. I laugh and shake my head.

As I walk down the same street I had walked up to get to the concert, I get the feeling that someone was following me. I look behind me as I reach the bus stop and sit down on the bench, but see no one; only a dark alleyway.

“Humph.” I sigh and turn around. The streets are silent except for the occasional car. I start to get a little scared, and decide to walk home. As I stand up, someone comes up behind me and grabs me gruffly, bringing a knife to my neck.

“Do. Not. Move.” The voice says calmly. I remember my karate teacher telling me that when I ever get into this kind of situation, always stay calm, so I don’t move, and I don’t say anything, except I didn’t have to, because the next thing I know, the attacker brings up a rag to my face, and before I have a chance to hold my breath, I start to feel dizzy, and then I black out.

~~

Hope you guys liked this next chapter! Sorry it took me so long! School and all,...:) Dont forget to like and subscribe for the next chapter!