Chapter 18

Dreaming of Forever

April 6th, 2014

“Can we talk?”

“About what?”

“You know exactly about what.”

“…when?”

“Now.”

“I can’t I’m-“

“No you’re not.”

“…where?”

“Han river.”

“… I’ll be there in a little bit.”

I hung up on Chen and sighed. It had been a week since his confrontation, and I had not spoken to him since then because I had been too shocked to say anything at all.

Much less think of anything.

I got up off my bed and pulled a pair of jeans and a white shirt on, since it was getting dark and no one would notice anyways, I threw on some slippers and a light jacket since it was still slightly cold outside.

Walking slowly, I wondered what I was going to say.

Did I like him?

What if he won’t help me anymore if I said no?

It would be OK if he did. It would be hard, but not impossible.

As I made it to the bridge that crossed the river, I could see a figure standing in the distance.

I knew who it was.

I walked to him, and he stood in the same place anticipating me, with his hands in his pockets. Finally, I got to his spot and we faced the river, leaning against the railing.

“Kat.”

“Hm?” I say, not looking away from the river.

“Do you like me?”

My breath hitches, unsure of what to say.

“I don’t know.”

He sighs. “I figured you would have thought about it.”

“I did.”

“Which part?”

“All of it. And then some.”

“Like what?”

“Whether you would still help me even if I said no.”

“So you’re saying yes.”

“Yes. No. I don’t know!” I throw my hands up and turn to look at him.

“If it helps,” he says, still facing forward, “I would still help you.”

I sigh. “Thanks.”

“But do you like me?”

“I told you-“

“Yes or no.”

“Or.”

“Ha-ha very funny.”

“Good. I was trying to be.”

“Kat.”

“Chen.”

He growls exasperatedly and rolls his eyes. “Am I going to get anywhere with you?”

“Maybe. Maybe not.”

“You’re acting like a high schooler.”

“I’m young. How could I not?”

“You’re 21.”

“Good job for acknowledging that. Yes I am. And so are you.”

“Wow. I didn’t think you would know that.” He says sarcastically.

“Neither did I. We just keep surprising each other, don’t we?”

He laughs and I smile.

“I don’t know. Maybe.” I say softly.

“Let’s turn that into a yes.”

“I can’t. Yet.”

“Can we at least try?”

I hesitate.

“If you don’t, I understand. It’s not like I haven’t been rejected before. You don’t need to worry about me not helping you with the child. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“Thanks.”

“So? What do you say?”

I stare at the setting sun as it turned the blue water 50 different shades of orange, red and yellow.

“Yes.”

He smiles and stays there for a second, before wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him before kissing my cheek.

“I’ll call you tomorrow.”

I nod. “Go get some sleep. I’m sure you probably have a busy day tomorrow.”

“Every day is busy.”

“I don’t doubt it.”

He holds my face in his hands and kisses my forehead. “Thank you for giving me a chance.” He says, before walking down the opposite side of the bridge.

I smile after him.

“You’re welcome.” I say quietly.

 

~~~ <***>~~~

Later that night

10:00 PM

I was in the middle of Catcher in the Rye when some stupid person decided to get themselves killed by ringing on my doorbell. I sighed and crack my knuckles and my neck, leaving my secret library and heading up the stairs I was just under to go see who wanted to meet Death that night.

I yanked the door open.

“Wha-“

I stare at the intruder with surprise.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m spending the night.” Chen gives me a large smile before entering my home. “Our manager said that we get the day off tomorrow, so what better place to spend the night than yours where I can go to bed super late with you in my arms and wake up super late with you in my arms?” He reminisces as he walks across the foyer into my room and lying down in my bed as I stare after him.

He looks at me, with the door still open, and pats the bed beside him.

I snort, shutting the door.

He pouts and does aegyo on me to try and convince me to come to him.

BLACK MAGIC.

I sigh, giving in to his adorableness and walk over, sitting on the edge of the bed, far away from him, but he grabs my arm and yanks me over to him, wrapping his arms around me with my face to his chest.

My heart starts to pump.

Hard.

“Uh…” I begin, but get cut off.

“Shhh.” Chen pulls me to him tighter.

I sigh and relax into him, relishing in the fact that he was so comfortable.

And warm.

And muscular.

And-

No! Stop it!

I cannot be thinking about these things.

“You smell good.” He says into my hair.

And there goes my insides.

“Like…lavender and pomegranates.”

“The fact that you even know what that combination smells like amazes me.”

He shrugs and buries his face in my hair, taking a deep breath while pulling me closer to him.

If that was even possible.

We could go without clothes and we still wouldn’t be as close as we would be now.

Not that we ever would.

No!

Stop thinking about these things!

Stop!

“You don’t have to say anything in return, but let me tell you something.”

“What’s that?”

“I love you.”

And there goes my heart.

I wrap my arms around him and give him a hug.

“Thanks for telling me.” I say softly.

He leans back a little and tilts my head upward, looking into my eyes before giving me a small, soft kiss. He lingers there for a minute before giving me another one, but this time a little harder. More urgent, like he was trying to prove something.

And I loved it.

It made me feel like I was the most fragile thing in the world. Something that no one else could ever have but Chen, and he knew it. It made me feel wanted, like I wasn’t some toy to play with. I was someone who could love and could be loved. Someone that was worthy to be shown to the world as more than a trophy, and right now, Chen was kissing me with all of his emotions that expressed this.

We stayed like that for a while, just laying close to each other and kissing, before Chen got up to turn the lights off and lay back down next to me, wrapping his arms around me once again, and pulling me close to him while he laid kisses all over my shoulder and neck and neck and face, before I finally drifted off into sleep.

 

~~~<***>~~~

A few weeks later

April 25th, 2014

“Kat.” I hear the music from the song that the rest of Exo was practicing to lower in volume.

“Chen.” I sit at the bar in the kitchen.

“Are you OK?”

“I’m fine. Can we talk? I don’t want to do this over the phone.”

“Yeah, sure. I’ll be over tonight OK?”

“OK.”

~~~

“What is it?” Chen walks through my door into the foyer.

“Let’s go down into the living room.” He follows me down the stairs into the living room where I have tea prepared for the both of us on the coffee table.

“Are you sure you’re OK?” He accepts a cup of the tea.

“I’m fine.”

“Then what is it?”

I sigh, not wanting to go through with this. “I know it took me a few weeks to figure out my feelings for you, but I have. I finally have.” I say looking at him.

He looks at me for a moment, and then looks down.

“I’m so sorry, Chen. I didn’t want to lead you on like this. That was so terrible of me. I wish I had known sooner so I didn’t have to do that to you.” I set my cup down and reach other to hold his hand.

He takes a deep breath, looking back up at me. “You know what? I think I’ll be alright.” He attempts to give me a small smile. “I was expecting this anyways.”

I give him a look. “You did?”

He nods. “Everything you did said when you just told me now. I was just waiting for the time that you would figure it out.”

I close my eyes, releasing a breath. I was so stupid.

“Listen, I need to go. We had a meeting with our manager that I am now seriously late for.”

We walk up to the door and I open it for him. Chen gives me a fierce hug.

“Thank you for giving me a chance.” He says, holding me. “We will always be best friends, right?”

“Of course! I should be the one asking that.” I say, laughing a little.

“Good.” He releases me and gives me a smiles, but right before he leaves, he leans in and gives me one last kiss, that felt like heaven, then he was gone.

 

 

~~~

Hey guys. Sorry for the semi depressing ending! two more chapter to go! Hope you are as excited for them as I am!