To The New Year

Girl You Gotta Hot Body!

She sat hunched over the bar, her hair a mess and little black dress riding up her thighs. She downed the very last of her drink, a small sigh protruding from her lips as she slid the empty glass across the counter.

  “Top me off.” She said.

  “Don’t you think you’ve had enough, Raelyn?” The bartender asked as he pulled out a large bottle of vodka from underneath the counter.

  The woman shot her glare up at him. “Do I look like I’ve had enough?”
  “Do you want me to lie to you?” He asked, raising an eyebrow and staring her directly in the eye. Their stare down lasted for another intense moment before she finally sighed and let her head drop to the counter.
  “Just top me off, JaeHyung.” She whimpered. “I really need it right now.”
  “I’m more worried about how you’re getting home.” He said, taking her glass and filling it up with the clear liquid.
  “I’ll catch a taxi.” She closed her eyes as she pressed the small glass to her lips and took a long swig.
  “Just don’t get ran over in the process.” He joked. “My only question; why did you get all dolled up to come to a karaoke bar?” Raelyn waited until he finished tending to another customer’s needs before speaking.
  “Lucca and I had planned on heading out to a club for New Years.” She explained. “You know, since we couldn’t afford to head back to America this year to spend it with our families. But she got called back into work right before we left.” She took another swig. “Besides, she had the money tonight and this is the only place I knew I could drinks half off because I knew with the bartender.”
  “Hey, no free-loading!” JaeHyung scolded, swiping the drink away from her. “You have to pay in full, just like everyone else.”
  “Okay okay, I’m sorry, just give me back my drink!” She whined. He gave it back to her, and she cringed. “Goddamn, what’s the point of coming to a karaoke bar when the participants can’t even sing?” Turning around to face the stage she cupped her hands around . “Pick a key and stay on it, buddy!”
  “Raelyn!” JaeHyung hissed, reaching over and jerking the hysterically laughing woman back around in her seat. “Don’t be rude! You could get kicked out!”
  She chuckled, laying herself on the counter as she sloppily swatted his hand away. “Oh, lighten up JaeHyung; I’m just having a little fun.”
  He knitted his eyebrows and shook his head in disapproval. “You know, just because you’re upset that Lucca couldn’t come get drunk with you that doesn’t mean you have to put a damper on everybody else’s mood.”
  Suddenly becoming very serious, she pointed a neatly manicured finger at him. “I did not want to get her drunk. I just wanted to go out and have some fun.” She lay her hand on her outstretched arm, pulling her drink close as if it were a teddy bear. “Besides, I’m not just upset about not getting to spend New Year’s together; tomorrow’s my birthday, and we were going to celebrate it tonight because I have to work then. So poo….”
  JaeHyung stared at her as she dramatically wept into her sleeve in her insobriety. He looked around him to see if anyone was staring at him, then sighed in despair.
  Why me…. He reached over and reluctantly patted her on her back. “Uh, it all going to be okay.” He struggled to find the right words to comfort her. “ Maybe you can, uh, celebrate your birthday this weekend. You know, when you have-”
  “SHH!” Sh cut him off with her hand, sitting up quickly. She stared at the counter, her eyebrows knitted in concentration as she strained her ears listen closer. Over the small clusters of chattering people and glasses clinking she could hear quiet singing coming through the speakers.
  There is so much a man can tell you,
  So much he can say.
  You remain….

  Raelyn felt her heart leap.
  “Who is that?” She asked.
  “Hm?” JaeHyung looked at her, then up at the stage. “Oh, that’s Lee JaeHwan. He’s a regular here.”
  But did you know,
  That when it snows,
  My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.

  “His voice is absolutely brilliant….” She gushed, completely mesmerized by the man that stood in the middle of the stage singing into the microphone.
  Baby,
  I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
  Ooh, the more I get of you
  The stranger it feels, yeah
  Now that your rose is in bloom.
  A light hits the gloom on the gray.

  Raelyn crossed her legs and placed her elbow on her knee, leaning forward with interest. She rested her chin in her hand comfortably as she studied the man. He was tall and slender, with neatly combed black hair that fell over his eyes; his lips were big, as was his nose, but that was besides the point. His face twisted with emotion that added to the performance and pulled at Raelyn’s heartstrings, his golden voice that of an angel and nearly breaking her heart.
  Now that your rose is in bloom,
  A light hits the gloom on the gray.

  A small sloppy applause came from the bar-goers as he clipped the microphone back onto the stand and stepped off the stage. He brushed his hair out of his face, revealing his tired dark eyes and masculine features which made Raelyn an eyebrow in interest. She thought for a second, then smirked and turned back around in her chair.
  “Scotch on the rocks.” The man told JaeHyung as he took a seat a few chairs away from Raelyn.
  This must be my night, Raelyn thought, a small grin on her face as she stared at the man. The man eventually looked up and caught her staring at him, but rather than averting her eyes she sent him a sly grin and took another sip of her drink before slowly looking away. He seemed to pick up on the silent flirting, for he sent her an intense gaze before looking away himself.
  “Here you are, sir.” JaeHyung said, sending Raelyn a quick look that seemed to say “you’re drunk; don’t do anything stupid”. She shook her head at him as if to tell him to leave before returning her attention back to the man.

  She cleared . “So that was a pretty impressive performance.” She said, making him look over at her in curiosity.
  He chuckled, shaking his head. “Oh, it was nothing really.”
  “No, honestly; you’re a natural.” She pushed, smiling at him. “Have you ever thought of going into the entertainment business?”
  “I have a couple times.” He took a drink, and then chuckled. “But, of course, you must think that’s silly.”
  “No, not silly. Not silly at all.” She defended, He looked up at her, and she sent him a smile. “You’re really talented.” She waved for JaeHyung. “Martini, please.”
  He stared at her, surprised by her. After a moment he his lips. “So, uh…” He started, slowly scooting into the next chair closer to her, “I didn’t catch your name.”
  “Raelyn Strickland.”
  “Raelyn.” He repeated. “A foreigner, hmm? I’m-”
  “Lee JaeHwan.” She finished for him.
  He smiled, pleasantly surprised. “I see you do your homework.”
  “I have contacts.”
  He chuckled. “You can call me Ken.”
  “Ken, huh?” She cooed. “What is that, your stage name?”
  “Something like that.”
  She laughed. “Fair enough.” She slowly scooted to the next chair over, putting the two of them right next to each other. Her drink was set in front of her and she thanked the bartender. “So tell me, Ken. What do you do?”
  “I’m a vocal trainer.” He answered plainly. Her eyebrows raised at this.
 “Is that so?” She crossed her legs seductively, giving Ken a nice view of her thighs. “You must have more talent than I thought.”
  “Of course.” He said. “What about you?”
  “Me?” She brought her drink to her lips as she contemplated this. "I’m a novelist."
  He raised his eyebrows in amazement. “Oh really?”
  “Why would I lie?” She brought her drink to her lips again, purposely making the liquid slip out of and down onto her chest.
  “Oh bother….” She pouted, feigning surprise as she looked down at where it had fallen. “Well this is embarrassing I must have a hole in my lip.”
  “Here, let me get that for you.” Ken chuckled and reached over her to grab a napkin, taking the advantage to create more physical contact between them. As he slowly leaned back into his seat he used this as an excuse to take in her scent.
  “Here we are.” He said, gently wiping the drip of alcohol away from her chest. A sly smile crossed her lips.
  “Thank you, Ken.”
  He returned her flirtatious grin. “Don’t mention it.” As she proceeded to finish her drink he turned to look at JaeHyung.   “Another round, please.” He draped his arm around the back of Raelyn’s chair. “And another martini for the lady.”
  She set the empty glass down and waved her hand in front of her face. “No no, I’ve had far too much to drink tonight.” She refused, making JaeHyung scoff as he filled up Ken’s glass.
  “Oh come on.” Ken urged with a laugh. “You can handle just a few more drinks, can’t you?”
  They went back and forth for about a minute or so, but eventually Raelyn gave in. Within half an hour she was practically sitting in his lap with his arm around her, the two of them laughing hysterically at every little thing that was said. One of the bartenders had the television that sat in the corner in the room; everyone sat around watching it closely as the newscaster’s proceeded to commence the countdown to the new year.
  60… 59… 58… 57….
  The crowd slowly began to join the countdown that took place on the screen.
  “So tell me.” Ken said, making Raelyn look up at him. He tilted his head, staring at her with his deeply intoxicated eyes. “What is a woman like yourself drinking herself away at some bar on New Year’s Eve?”
  She sighed and turned back to stirring her martini with the cherry that floated in it. “Simply had no one to spend it with.” She said; out of her peripheral vision she could see JaeHyung throw his hands in the air, which made her send him a ‘shut up’ glare in return.
  40… 39… 38… 37….
  “So what about you?” She asked, bringing the cherry to her lips. “What is a man like yourself singing his heart out at some bar on New Year’s Eve?”
  “For the same reason.” He replied, watching intently as she stuck her tongue out and the alcohol away from the small fruit. “Had no one to spend it with.”
  “Oh darn.” She said, pouting at him. “Why not? Certainly someone as charming as yourself,” He felt a tingle shoot up his legs as she ran her hand up his thigh, “Has many friends waiting to spend a simple night with him….”
  20… 19… 18… 17….
  He readjusted on the chair as she moved threw her leg over his knee.
  “Well, you know how people are.” He said, drawing circles on her thigh. “Always have something better to do.”
  “I understand.” She watched as the bartender filled their glasses once more.
  10… nine… eigh… seven…
  She picked up her glass. “Well, Mr. Lee, I hope that you find someone to spend every night with you this year.”
  Six… five… four….
  He nodded, staring intensely into her dark brown eyes as he picked up his drink. “I wish the same to you, Miss Strickland.”
  Three… Two….
  She smiled, clinking hers to his. “Here’s to there New Year.”
  One.


Alright, I hope I fixed the odd spacing on this thing, so hopefully it's easier to read. xD

Here's Ken's song, if you've never heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7yyV-q_zQ

He's into older American music, so I thought it was fitting. Also think it would be absolutely beautiful if he were to do a cover of it. TT