Five - Twinkling of Paradise

Return

Andy’s finger traced the smooth surface of the ring. It was a simple ring. No intricate designs on the outside; three words – ‘Lee Sun Ho’ – engraved on the inside. The corners of Andy’s lips carelessly curled upwards as he slipped the ring onto his left hand’s index finger.

The ring was what Sylvia had left in his car the day before. In Andys opinion, it was also a long overdue promise.

Flashback

Andy was lying on the floor, head resting on his left palm, right hand Amber which was lazing on his stomach. He tilted his head to Sylvia’s direction. She was sitting cross-leg, a book on her lap.

“Noona, what do you think is the best gift to get for someone you like?” Andy asked.

Sylvia looked up from her book, narrowed her eyes and studied him. “Are you dating already? Someone from school?”

“No! If I were, noona will be the first to know, I promised.” Andy saw from her gaze that she was not convinced and it annoyed him. “It was just a causal question!”

“Ok. You don’t have to get so worked up.” Sylvia laughed. “It’s normal for my little brother to grow up you know. Hmmm…I think I will get the person a ring.”

“A ring? Why?” Andy decided to ignore her earlier comment about him being her “little brother”.

“Because…” Sylvia paused for a second. “Because it’s something that seals promises between two people.”

Andy turned his head back, pondering over Sylvia’s words.

******

The wind blew and the cold air caressed Andy’s face, making him sneezed. He placed the box he was carrying onto his lap and rubbed his hands against each other. He was sitting at Sylvia doorstep for more than an hour already. He had not expected her birthday celebration to extend.

 “Jason?”

“Noona!” Andy’s face lit up at the sight of the person in front of him. He stood up immediately.

“Pabo-ya! Why are you sitting here in this weather?” Sylvia reprimanded. She advanced towards him and held his palms in hers, trying to warm them. “I thought you left early because you have something on? How long have you been waiting here?”

“Noona, this is for you.” Andy lifted the box a little higher.

“Even if you are giving me a present you shouldn’t be sitting here in such weather!” Sylvia nagged unhappily. She unlocked the door and pulled him into the house. Andy could hear Amber’s barks and within moments, the white Maltese was jumping all around him.

“Amber let him come in first.” Sylvia ordered, bending down and picking up the dog. Andy followed behind her and closed the door with his foot. He placed the box on the sofa and took Amber from Sylvia.

“Noona, open the box!” Andy urged. Sylvia glared at him, still acting sullen. Andy chuckled, finding the scene cute.

Sylvia sat on the sofa and placed the box on her lap. She lifted the lid and froze.

Inside were full of origami roses.

“99 roses!” Andy said proudly. It took him about two months to complete the whole gift. Perfecting his origami skill, getting materials and saving the money. It was especially challenging when he had to spend so much time planning and making of the gift without letting Sylvia suspect anything.

“Noona?” He prompted when Sylvia did not respond.

 “I…I am just…Thank you Jason.” She mumbled, eyes getting teary. “This is the sweetest gift ever!”

“Noona, there’s something else inside, underneath the roses.”

Sylvia looked at him and he prompted her to remove the first layer of roses. Sylvia did as she was told and took out a small little black box. Inside sat a simple ring. The promise – he will be there for her, no matter what happens.

Sylvia leaned forward and pulled Andy into a hug. Andy heard Amber whined and felt the dog squeezed itself out from between them. He let his arms go around her as he whispered his promise into her ear.

“Thank you Jason. I want to make you a promise too!”

End of flashback                                  

Andy finally got his promised ring, although Sylvia had not told him what promise accompanied the ring. Andy stared at the ring on his finger. Does it signify his second chance? He removed the ring from his index finger, slipped it onto his left ring finger and head out of the house.

When Andy reached Shinhwa Company, Minwoo immediately ambushed him. The older man wrapped his arms around Andy and planted a kiss on his cheek. Minwoo’s hands moved on to cup Andy’s face trying to attack the maknae’s lips.  Andy quickly raised his left hand and blocked his hyung’s attack. His move successfully ended Minwoo’s attack, but only because the ring captured Minwoo’s attention.

Minwoo’s usually small but nevertheless very charming eyes widened as the CEO grabbed Andy’s hand.  “Omo, Andy-ah, is that a ring?”

“Obviously. Why?”

“Why? Because it is on THAT finger!” Minwoo’s shock face was suddenly replaced by an impish one. “How are things between you and Sylvia?”

“Normal.” Andy replied and quickly pulled his hand out of Minwoo’s gripped. As if on cue, Dongwan entered and greeted them, saving Andy momentarily from Minwoo’s interrogation. The younger guy strode off hurriedly when Minwoo turned to face Dongwan.

“Wannie!” one of Minwoo’s arm hooked around Dongwan’s neck as Minwoo stole a quick kiss, lips brushing across the other guy’s neck. “You came in at a bad timing though.”

“Why?” Dongwan asked, grinning stupidly at Minwoo’s attack. Skin ship had become a game among the members and he realised that he was at the losing team together with Hyesung and Andy. The duo walked side by side to the next room to get Dongwan’s suit for the blue carpet.

“I was about to interrogate Andy. He had a ring on his ring finger.”  Minwoo replied. “A plain ring, not one for the stage.”

“Oh…” Dongwan raised an eyebrow. They stepped inside the room and Andy quickly exited to the other room. Minwoo followed after the maknae. Dongwan chuckled and removed his suit from the hanger.

After getting change, Dongwan went into the dressing room. Other than Eric, the rest of the members were already there. Minwoo and Junjin were rehearsing for their emcee duty; Hyesung, as usual, was admiring his precious hair in the mirror; Andy was seated in front of the mirror waiting for their stylist to do his hair. Dongwan walked over to the maknae and whispered into his ear, “Shinhwa changjos are going to be heart-broken tonight because of you Andy.”

His eyes met Andy’s astonish gaze in the mirror and he gave a winked.

******

Eric, Minwoo and Andy stood at the blue carpet waiting for the rest of the group. Dongwan’s earlier words replayed for the umpteen times in Andy’s mind. He knew the older man was teasing him, but what the older man said was not totally invalid. “Will it really come as a shock when fans see the ring? But Sylvia wanted them to wear her gifts for the ceremony”, Andy reasoned to himself. He quickly gave up pushing the blame as he admitted she did not specific for him to wear it on his ring finger.

The other car arrived. Dongwan, Junjin and Hyesung got out and the band marched down the blue carpet. Andy followed behind his hyungs.

Hyesung who was furthest from him motioned for Andy to go over. The older guy placed his hand behind Andy’s back and Andy returned the gesture, “Tidy up your thoughts Andy, the camera is rolling.” Hyesung said gently. Andy then realised that he was still ruminating and quickly waved to the crowd.

In front of him, Junjin initiated holding hands with Dongwan and Hyesung just before they reached the photo taking area.

“Pose for this camera then that one over there.” Minwoo instructed, pointing to two different spots. Everyone followed the CEO’s instruction. Andy placed his left behind him, hiding the ring from the view of the camera.

******

“Are you okay Andy?” Hyesung asked when he, Dongwan and Andy returned to the waiting room assigned to Shinhwa. Andy blushed, embarrassed that he got the mabird worried.

“He’s more than okay Hyesung. He’s overjoy!” Dongwan answered. Hyesung gave Dongwan a puzzled look and the latter grabbed Andy’s hand, flashing the ring to the lead singer.

“Oh…” Hyesung said. He gave the maknae a thoughtful look. Exactly at this moment, the door burst open and Eric came in excitedly with a pudding and a spoon in his hands.

“Andy-ah, open your mouth!” Eric advanced towards Andy, feeding Andy a spoonful of the pudding. “It’s from the fans.” Eric turned to Hyesung and tried to feed him like how he had fed Andy. “Hyesungie! Open your mouth.”

“I don’t want you to feed me. I can eat it by myself.” Hyesung turned his head away. Eric pouted but obediently passed the spoon to Hyesung.

Andy smiled and leaned over to hug the leader. Eric let his head rest on Andy’s shoulder and eyed Hyesung.

“It’s good! Dongwan try some.” Hyesung offered Dongwan the spoon and pudding but the leader leaped up suddenly and took them form Hyesung.

“Let me feed Wannie!” Eric scooped a big spoonful and shoved it into Dongwan’s face.

“Yah, that is too much for one mouth!” Dongwan protested.

Eric didn’t care. He continued shoving the spoon into the lead singer’s face. Half of the pudding went into Dongwan’s mouth and the other half wiped against his face before dropping to the ground.

“My make up!” Dongwan whined.

“Yah, you dirtied the floor!” Eric said to Dongwan in a childlike but accusing tone.

Andy chuckled. It was funny watching how Eric was half scared of Hyesung and always trying to win his favour but became such a big bully when Dongwan was in question. He felt a warm fuzzy feeling inside him. Andy was thankful for being part of Shinhwa and having his best friends / brothers with him all these years. He promised himself he would give anything for them… 

You got no idea how many times I watch the 20th choice official video and fancams to write this and the next chapter xD I love the 20th choice a lot because of the crazy voting for the people that visited tinychat at that time. It was so so so FUN!

Link to 20th Choice award 2013

And a pic for the kind of origami rose I am referring to xD