Four - Breakin' the Silence

Return

Sorry...took me long enough to update this. Editing my old chapters is so much more difficult than writing a new one >.< Haven't really proof-read. Will do it tomorrow. Wanted to post it first to reset my mind to this story >.<

17 July 2013 (Two day after returning from Tokyo concert and one day before the 20’s choice award)

Andy reached the restaurant earlier than the prearranged time. The lavish decorations emitted awe but calm vibe for most of its patrons, but it had no effect on him. Andy unconsciously glanced at his watch for the hundredth times; the butterflies in his stomach sped up with each tick of the second hand. This was his first meeting with Sylvia alone since she returned; an entire day without the rest of the members!

Andy’s mind wandered to the recent memories of Sylvia. He acknowledged he was too apprehensive at the start, but his relationship with Sylvia had been progressing well, many thanks to Dongwan hyung and Minwoo hyung. They always say the right thing at the right time, resolving any awkward situations Andy created. However, Andy would appreciate them more if these two hyungs would stop making him pay by embarrassing him during concerts. Dongwan’s skinship was getting a little overboard.

“Andy-ah!”

Andy’s face twisted into an enormous grin. “Noona!” Sylvia was in a white dress; Andy subconsciously noted it was his favourite colour. Her long straight hair wasn’t tied up and it flow beyond her shoulders taking the shape of her curves. Andy stood up and pulled the chair out for her.

“Thank you.” Sylvia beamed at him.

“You are most welcome.” Andy answered, sitting down. The waiter handed each of them a menu.

“Noona, how have you been all these years? I’ve always wanted to ask you but hyung are always bombarding you with questions about the past.” Andy’s lower lip puckered cutely. The Shinhwa members (especially Dongwan and Minwoo again) were so excited about the American boys past that they had been questioning her non-stop in the little time they managed to squeeze out of practice to meet her. But Andy knew there was another reason why he did not ask and he was unwilling to share the reason – he was afraid to ask the questions in front of Eric hyung.

 “I like them asking. It brings back old memories.” Sylvia smiled. “After I left, I managed to enrol into a medical school and become a doctor. I worked in a hospital for a while before I started travelling to rural places to help the poor.” Sylvia paused and gave him a cheeky smile. “Of course from time to time I will return to the cities for concerts of my favourite band. You were amazing there.”

“You came to our concert?” Andy asked elated before he realised she had never tried contacting them. It would not be difficult for her and if she could go to their concerts, she would have plenty of opportunities. “You didn’t contact me…or Eric hyung.” Andy’s mood took a 180 degree change. “So…what made you decided to leave?”

Sylvia looked as if she was debating if she could let him know. But the three words that came out of drenched Andy’s heart.

“I had to.”

They used to be closer than this, Andy thought solemnly. Maybe things really could not be the same as before.

“Why?” Andy gave a bitter smile. “What was so important that your parents had to sell their business; that you had to leave Eric hyung? What was so important that you can’t tell me anything about it?!” He raised his voice at the last sentence and regretted the moment the words escaped his mouth. He did not want to hurt Sylvia; another reason, he was not prepared to face that part of the past.

“Andy –”

“No noona.” Andy interjected. “I am sorry; I shouldn’t have pried into your privacy. Let’s order now? What do you want?”

Sylvia gaze was still on him, countless emotions reflected in her eyes. However, Andy was determined to move away from the topic. “Tuna steak with asparagus?”  He asked, disregarding the plead in her gaze.

Sylvia can read him well enough. She heaved a sighed and nodded.

The lunch went on as if Andy’s ridiculous outburst did not happen. After the meal, the pair went to a nearby park.

“Do you have anything on after this?” Sylvia asked, offering Andy her half eaten ice-cream cone.

Andy smiled at the familiarity and took a bite from it without taking the cone from her. “No. I’ve pushed all appointments away for you. Anywhere noona wants to visit?” He saw a grin made its way onto Sylvia’s face and the next second he was being dragged into a cab heading to the mall.

“I still can’t believe you just left my car there!” Andy grumbled, still shocked from what Sylvia did.

“I’ll accompany you back to retrieve your car after this. Don’t be angry okay?”

Andy’s heart skipped a beat seeing Sylvia’s puppy eyes. So that was how his hyungs felt when he did it.

“What does noona need to get?” Andy scratched his head awkwardly and stared out of the window, trying to hide the blush on his cheeks.

Sylvia smiled. She wrapped her hands around his right arm and pulled him out of the taxi when they had reached the mall. “I want to get each of you a present for winning the 20th choice award.”

“The results aren’t out yet.” Andy said in a matter of fact manner and let her dragged him around the mall.

“Have some faith in us! I stayed up all night to vote for you! I want to get you guys something that you can wear to the ceremony.” Sylvia replied as they went into a shop and she surveyed the jewelleries in the display cabinets.

“Us?” Andy raised an eyebrow.

“Shinhwa Changjo.” Sylvia replied absent-mindedly.

Oh. So it was ‘shinhwa changjo’ and not the ‘us’ in his mind. Andy found himself blushing again.

After getting Minwoo’s present, both of them left the shop. Only Andy’s present was left.

“Get me shoes noona.” Andy said cutely.

“Aish! Don’t give me that look” Sylvia laughed and pushed the side of his head. “After all these years, it’s still you and your shoes! Nope. I already got you something else.”

“You did? What is it?” Andy tilted his head a little to look at her, a little surprised.

“You will know soon. Now let’s go and get your car!”

Andy received Sylvia’s text message that night telling him she had left his present in his car. Andy immediately got out of his house and rushed to his car. He was still hoping Sylvia had gotten him a pair of new shoes.

Andy unlocked his car and started looking around. No sign of any shoe box. He cross his arms and sat in the driver seat, thinking where Sylvia would leave his gift, when he saw a small orange velvet box sitting quietly on the front passenger seat……

***Day of the 20th Choice Award***

“We live for this love.” Minwoo hummed as he lazily walked into Shinhwa Company. Hyesung was already in the changing room admiring his hair.

“Morning Minwoo! How’s your leg?” Hyesung asked gleefully. Minwoo could tell the main singer was a little hyper. (AN: Minwoo sprained his leg during the Tokyo concert.)

“Hey Hyesungie. Better.” He replied, walking to the side of the room to place his bag down. He crossed his arms and studied Hyesung’s reflection. Was he doing the right thing match-making Andy with Sylvia? What if Junjin’s observation was right?

“Why are you staring at me like this?” Hyesung turned around; tensed.

“Do you like Sylvia?” Minwoo was surprised by his own frankness. It caught Hyesung off guard too.

“Noooo.” Hyesung gaped at Minwoo incredulously.

Minwoo nodded relieved at Hyesung’s forthright and quick reply.

“Why did you ask that?” Hyesung interrogated suspiciously.

“Nothing, just that you were a little uptight after she came back and we were beginning to worry about you and Andy…you know…liking the same person. But obviously we worry too much.” Minwoo laughed it off.

Hyesung could not help but noticed the absurdity of the situation. The members were so mistaken yet correct at the same time. They just focused on the wrong person. He was uptight because he knew, not because he was part of it. But it was not in his authority to tell. Moreover, it was obvious how close Andy and Sylvia were nowadays, but Eric had not shown the slightest hint of displeasure. He was just behaving normally. Of course by normal, Hyesung meant the childish and alien-like behaviour.

“So Hyesungie, are you sad about being kicked out as one of the MC?” Minwoo teased, changing the topic. (AN: Minwoo, Hyesung and Junjin were the emcee for one of the Mnet comeback before the award)

“No! I get to sit and enjoy the refreshments while you two work your off.” Hyesung gave Minwoo a playful smirk. “Take care of my baby bird!”

Everything will be alright, Hyesung thought to himself.

So this chapter made it clear Eric wasn't just a childhood friend. xD