Thirteen - Time Machine

Return

Finally updating again! The previous one month plus was busy. Voting and work and a bit of block on how I should continue this (the story is planned but i dunno how to present it. Flash back first or continue the current part where Eric just anounced Sylvia left Korea?) In the end I decided on flash back, now Andy's POV since the last chapter was Eric's). 

Andy sat on his bed, eyes locked on the photo frame in his hands. It was an old photo. His mother was facing the camera with a blissful smile on her face; his father’s loving gaze was on his mother, seemingly oblivious to the cameraman; he and his sister were at the front, faces adorned with innocent happiness from the past. That was years ago. He had been living with his uncle and aunty for some time now; after his parent’s divorce.

Andy sighed. He had just called his mum and found out that her health condition was not improving. He heard the doorbell rang and went to open the door.

“Jason-ah!” Eric headlock him and ruffled his head.

“Hyung…” Andy smiled.

“Did anything happen?” Eric asked, noticing the troubled look on Andy’s face after he let go of the younger boy.

Andy shook his head lightly. “It’s just the usual thing about my family’s health.” He replied.

Eric’s gaze turned gentle. “I’m sure your mum’s health will get better soon. Come, let’s go now. Tony and the rest are waiting for us!” With that, Eric interlaced his fingers with Andy and lead the younger boy out of the house.

Andy’s life cannot be considered perfect, but he knew he was lucky to have his group of friends like Eric and Tony. They are his safe harbour that shielded him from the bad side of reality. And he also had Sylvia.

His mind drifted to memory of the previous day…

“I am sorry I can’t accompany you to the hospital next week.” Andy held Sylvia’s hand and felt the cold surface of the ring against his palm. His class test had clashed with Sylvia’s doctor appointment. Even if it was just to get the result of her usual health check-up, Andy did not feel right that he could not accompany her.

“It’s really okay Jason-ah.” Sylvia smiled. She drew her right hand out of his hands and pinched his cheek lightly. “You already forced Eric to go with me. Don’t worry; it’s just a normal health check-up.”

Andy puckered his lips, making Sylvia laughed. “Thank goodness I have Eric hyung,” he said and felt Sylvia’s lips on his cheek.

They became a real couple. No words of confirmation were needed…or so Andy thought…

***

“Jason, I’ll be busy with project for this period. You don’t have to wait for me or try to meet me, I’ll be with my friends.” Sylvia said to him when he was finally able to catch hold of her.

Andy could not shake off the feeling that Sylvia was avoiding him. Recently she would always have excuses not to travel to and from school together with him. Andy felt that she was even avoiding her own home just to get away from him. She was always not home and he had no idea where she went. Andy tried to recall if he had done anything to make her angry.

“Okay. So I’ll wait for you after school today?” Andy asked, desperate.

Sylvia furrowed her brows. “No. I’ll be meeting Eric today.”

“Sylvia, are you angry with me over something? Please tell me what I did wrong.” Andy pleaded.

“I’m just busy with projects.” She turned around and chased after her classmate, not wanting to continue their conversation. The way Sylvia moved her hands were unnatural…as if she wanted him to see something. Then Andy finally realised – she was no longer wearing his ring.

***

“Jason! Have you heard? Eric just announced that he is dating your girlfriend.” His classmate rushed into the class and told him urgently. Andy went cold. He shot up from his seat and ran out of the classroom. He did not know where Sylvia and Eric were, but it was not hard to find them. When he reached the senior block, he saw a group of people gathering outside Eric’s classroom. Even without getting nearer, his eyes already spotted the outstanding couple in the center of the group. They were holding hands, and there were something reflective around Sylvia’s neck…

Maybe it was a present from Eric; a necklace that replaced his ring?

His nightmare did not end just there. Sylvia left his life, completely. She left America, leaving no contacts for him…not even for Eric who was her boyfriend. Andy had never imagine Sylvia would do that to them. How could she just simply packed up and leave like this, erasing all traces and evidences of the time they spend together?

He would have been otherwise empty if not for the regrets he felt towards Eric. The older man was in distress. Andy thought he would try to spend more time with Eric and lift his spirits up, but sometimes he felt as if it was Eric taking care of him instead of the other way around. Was he actually more distress than the older boy? He did not know, but he knew both of them had miss her…

***

“Hyung, I’ll be going to Korea next month. Tony hyung and I had passed the audition to become trainees at SM Entertainment.” Andy told Eric when he was at the older boy house.

Eric looked up at him, shocked. “You are going to leave America?! Will you be back?”

“I’ll come back to visit.” Andy said guiltily.

Eric shut his book and looked at Andy straight in the eyes, “I’ll go with you.”

Andy was shock by how serious Eric was. “But hyung…your dream is to become a lawyer! You cannot do that! I promise I’ll come back and visit you.”

 “Jason-ah, becoming a lawyer was never my dream. My dream is to be with the people that matters to me. And you are one of them. I am going to Korea. And I am going get into this SM Entertainment with you.”

***

Andy stood outside the room; his heart thumping madly. He was nervous. He had not seen s for almost a year, other than through the rectangular box called a television. He missed them dearly, but he did not know how they would react seeing him.

Mr Lee Soo Man had called him earlier ordering him to come over. It was Shinhwa’s fifth fan meeting. Andy had obeyed, but he had not told Mr Lee that he was coming to bid farewell to the fans as well as to his beloved members. This will be his last time standing on the stage.

Andy took a deep breath and pushed the door open. Every pair of eyes in the room landed on him.

Silence.

From the shock expressions of s and the crew, Andy gathered that Mr Lee had not told anyone he would be coming over today. He swallowed awkwardly. Did they think he was here to take credit of all their hard work? Was he still welcome here? Just as a friend? Would they still accept him?

“Andy!” Eric was the first to break the awkwardness as he leaped towards the younger man and squeeze the air out of him. Andy could feel Eric’s tears on his face when the leader kissed him. Soon, he was being embraced and kissed by all s. Even the staff were crying and trying to hug him.

“You are finally back with us! We are finally the real Shinhwa again!” / “Don’t you dare leave us again!” / “Do you know how hard it was without you?” / “Don’t do this to us again!”

The emotions that had welled up transformed into tears. Andy suddenly realised how stupid his worry was. He turned towards Eric and the leader gave him a teary but happy smile.

“Don’t spoil my dream again Andy. Or I am going to become a lawyer and sue you for tricking me to Korea!”

I wanted more Ricdy friendship =P Next chapter will be back to 2013 again ^_^ Will Andy know what really happen in the past? Why didn't Eric and Sylvia tell him earlier? And more importantly, can he find Sylvia? =X