Twelve - Reason

Return

“Do you really want to do this?” Eric asked. She nodded silently with a disconsolate expression.

“It will be lamentable for both of you.” Eric said as he tried to control the wetness that formed in his eyes. He knew it was not the best decision, but it was the most they could do to protect Jason. Jason was already troubled by his parents’ divorced. But the catch would be for Sylvia to bear most of the burden.

“Eric, you know most likely I’d die.”

“Don’t say that!” Eric snapped. He took in a deep breath and sighed. He knew what Sylvia said was right. It would be too heart-wrenching to break the news to the boy at this moment. But if Sylvia was really to leave forever (May God forbid that), and Jason were to find out one day, he would never forgive himself for not being there.

“If he ever finds out the truth, he would regret for his whole life.” Eric muttered.

“He wouldn’t. If I leave America, he would never know it.” Sylvia said firmly.

The two friends walked out of the hospital silently with Sylvia’s test result in an unsealed envelope, neither of them saying another word.

“If you pull through, will you let me know?” Eric asked when they reached Sylvia’s doorstep. Behind his sad tone was a tiny glimpse of hope.

Sylvia quickly nodded as the door of the adjacent house opened and a smiling Jason came out to greet them.

***

Eric paced around with a heart heavy. He forced a smile onto his face when the person he was waiting for came out of the house, looking slightly paler, but the unhealthy paleness made less obvious with her make up.

“Hey Vievie,” he greeted, trying to sound casual and light-hearted. They were to announce to the school that they began dating on that day, but the whole act was really just for Jason. Sylvia had to start distancing herself from him so he would never know the truth and would be less affected when she finally leave America.

“Morning Eric!” Sylvia gave him a bright smile as she walked towards him and hooked her right arms around his left elbow. Eric flashed a smiled with no happiness behind it. The whole situation was too painful. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver chain.

“This is for your ring. I know you can no longer show anyone you are wearing it, but you can hide it with this.”

The strong façade on Sylvia’s face disappeared as her true emotions showed on her face. “Thank you Eric.” She whispered. She fished the ring given by Jason on her birthday out of her pocket and passed the chain through it before wearing it around her neck, the ring hidden underneath her shirt. “I’m sorry for asking you to do this.” Sylvia apologised.

Eric lifted his hands and wiped the tears that escaped from her eyes. “Don’t be sorry. I want to share your burden. This is the least I can do for you and Jason.”

Sylvia gave him a determine nod and both of them wore a mask of fake blissfulness before heading for school.

***

Eric stood diagonally behind Sylvia as she bided farewell to her classmates. His heart was shattered, knowing that this might be the last time he get to see the friend he had spent his entire life with since he was a baby; and he was the only one that know this farewell might be more than just being oceans apart. But he kept a strong front, knowing that he was her only support.

Eric followed silently behind Sylvia as she advanced towards Jason, his heart aching at the unfairness that befell on this couple. He saw Sylvia lifting Jason’s hand, spoke to him and ruffled his hair. He saw the hurt in Jason’s eyes, and he sensed Sylvia’s trembling. But he knew she could not afford to break down now. All their efforts would go to waste. Jason would hate himself for not being able to keep his promise and be there for her and Sylvia would hate herself for letting Jason know.

“You should go in now.” Eric placed his hand on her back. He held her hands and led her away from Jason to the departure gate.

“Eric, help me take care of him please.” Sylvia whispered into his ears while the two friends hugged one last time, both knowing that this might be the last request from her.

“I will.” Eric replied, promising himself that he will give his all to protect Jason for Sylvia’s sake. At that moment, he had no idea that this promise will turn the boy into one of the most important person in his life in a few years’ time.

***

Eric sat on the couch in the waiting room. The rest of the band had left, but Eric wanted to be alone. It was the hardest period for him since debuting. Andy had left Shinhwa, and Eric had never felt so lost and dejected before. He had no news of the maknae other than what the Company told them, which he did not believe.

His manager entered the room. “Are you ready to leave?”

“Have everyone left?” Eric asked.

“Most of the entertainers and sasaeng fans have left the venue; just a few workers who are still here tiding up the place.” His manager replied. “Eric, there was a fan outside that asked me to pass this to you when I came in.”

“Thanks.” Eric opened his palm and took the little transparent packet from his manager. He looked at the small zipper bag and his heart skipped a beat. He quickly opened it up and poured the content out onto his palm. It had been years, but Eric would never forget the silver chain.

“Where is she?” Eric asked the manager urgently.

“She is still outside.” The manager replied, surprised by the reaction of the Shinhwa leader. Eric hurriedly dashed out.

A lone figure was in the otherwise empty corridor, back facing him. Eric felt his heart clenched.

“Vievie?” His voice was trembling. The figure turned over, a sweet smile adorning her face.

The tears burst out of his eyes as he rushed over and embraced the female.

“It is really you! You are still here…” Eric felt her hands patting his back.

The two of them went for supper that night.

“I have been following Shinhwa news. You and Andy were amazing.”

Eric lowered his head. His concerned for Andy was beyond his promise to Sylvia, but he still felt somewhat guilty towards her for Andy’s absence. “I’m sorry. Andy left and I don’t know where he is and if he will be back.”

“Don’t say that Eric. I know he meant a lot to you, maybe even more than what he meant to me now. You even became a singer because of him.”

“How have you been?” Eric raised his head. “Are you fully recovered?”

Sylvia pursed her lips. “My heart condition was deteriorating at a rapid pace when I just left America, but luckily I found a heart donor.” Sylvia paused, feeling sad for her donor but silently thanking God for giving her a second chance. “The doctor is still worried that my system might reject the heart so I am still under observation.” She saw Eric’s grim expression and quickly added, “But if there is nothing out of the norm within the year I would be considered a normal healthy person.”

“Will you stay in Korea?” Eric asked, hoping for someone that could share his feeling of missing the maknae and reminisce together the time spent with Andy. s would gladly do that, but he did not want to hinder the band’s progress.

“Actually I am here specially to see you because I am worried about how you are taking Andy’s absence. But I need to return soon.”

“Is there a way I can contact you?” Eric asked.

Sylvia took out a pen from her purse, “I’ll give you my number.” She scribbled a series of numbers on a tissue and passed it to Eric. “But I would not be using this number soon. You and Andy have inspired me a lot and I have decided to follow my dreams of becoming a doctor and helping the poor. I got my medical degree during my recuperation and I’ll be travelling as soon as I am free to roam about by myself.”

Eric’s gaze landed on the two rings on her finger. “He is still the one in your heart.” He commented.

Sylvia subconsciously played with the rings with her thumb. “Yes…I wasn’t able to give him the ring before I left, but that was a promise I made to him. He will always be the one in my heart.”