Chapter 6

If This Is Love

First Hug

 

I don't know since when did it started but I can't seem to sleep if Baekhyun is not around.

It's cold when he's not here. He tends to raise the heater in a higher temperature that's why sometimes it's damn hot and I would end up sleeping in the couch or in Kyungsoo and Jongin’s room but when nights like this that he's not here, indeed it feels cold.

He should still be in the company building at the moment. This afternoon, when our training sessions ended, Baekhyun asked me to go home first because he would be staying for extended hours of practice.

Should I just go there too? I mean it's a bit dangerous going home alone late at night anyway and I wanted to take a peek at him too; but let me clear this out, it's not like I badly want to see him. I just want to see him, okay. Not badly.

I saw the lights on in the music room so I figured Baekhyun might be there. I peeked at the window and when I saw him there, I was about to call him when I see him cry a tear... I got a little panic and I felt something creep in my chest, and so I ended up sitting on the floor next to the room's door. After some time, Baekhyun went out the room and saw me here.

"You're here?!"

"Hey!" I greeted instead.

"What are you doing here?"

"I just finished practicing some dance steps so I decided to pick you up too. Going home?"

Baekhyun just laugh. He clearly caught me blabber a bluff and I just scratched my head awkwardly as I slide my arm on his shoulder and say, "Let's go!"

"By the way, I saw you cry"

"You saw that?!"

"Yep!"

"Yah! What are you really?"

He defends that he was just feeling the song back there and he just wanted to catch the right emotion so he could sing it heartfully like Jongdae. Then here he goes again with his random talks and I can't really in to say something so I would just end up watching the amusing him while unconsciously smiling.

I should be feeling cold because of the winter wind this late night but indeed it feels warm with Baekhyun around.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun's pov

I should have waited for Chanyeol instead.

Three minutes. It has only been three minutes but seems as if three hours has passed already. The silence in this room is killing me.

"They said they'll be giving the first set of songs for our Prologue Stage" Kris hyung stated; finally breaking the gloominess in the room. And I was a bit taken when he spoke to me.

It's really the first time we were alone together so we never really had a proper conversation before. Hahaha I even thought of going back to fetch Chanyeol when I saw him here alone before. Even though my first impression of him is that he is very tall, very tall and handsome; Kris hyung is quite scary and he looks stern. Moreover, he's Chinese so I always hesitate talking to him.

"I'm nervous..." He added. So casually. It doesn't sound nervous and he doesn't look nervous at all. I am not convinced.

"You say you're nervous?! Then what do you call me?! My palms have been sweating for a while now!"

"You don't look like one. You seem excited instead." He answered. I often hear him speak Mandarin, or was it Cantonese, during practice sessions so I'm surprised he sounds fluent in Korean.

"I am. You look excited also." I said while making a peace sign. He just laughs while placing his closed fist near his mouth and I watch him wittily. This hyung is not bad at all and I bet he is very caring too despite looking snobbish.

 

As to why we are nervous, our head trainer asked us to gather here in the music room for they, the higher ups, have some announcement to make. Our debut stage is going near so all of us are taking double time to master our skills. We even had our teaser photos circulated in different buzz magazines and kpop sites; not to mention our teaser videos played in some advertisement boards from time to time. President Lee Sooman-nim is taking this seriously and extravagantly. By announcement, we still don’t have any idea what is it.

"By the way, where's Chanyeol?" He asked. I was used to people asking me where Chanyeol is as if I became his secretary or GPS or something and I am always surprised that for some reason, I really know where he is.

"He was with me while going here but he stopped by the washroom first"

"Oh, so that's why you're not together."

"We're always together...?"

"Ye--"

"Who's always together?" Chanyeol asked as he made his way towards us. And we both turned to him; I didn't notice he entered the room.

"Kris hyung said you and I are always together" I said and I see him smiling widely that it's rubbing on me too.

 

 

 

 

"For your prologue stage, we decided the song 'What is Love' to be sang two members instead but all the members will still be appearing in the mv." Promotions noona announced while giving each of us a copy of the song lyrics and chords. It was some minutes after all the members finally arrived and gathered here.

"What is Love?" Kyungsoo read.

"Saranggin mwuhyah" Jongdae translated in Hangul and he started singing some parts but was cut off when manager hyung gave him another sheet

"You will be singing it in Chinese 'Ai shi shenme'" manager hyung said, he is fluent in Mandarin too and apparently the sheet he gave to Jongdae turned out to be the Chinese lyrics of the song, in Pinyin.

"Ey~" Jongdae whined while hanging his arms on me and we just laughed

"Since our vocal line is Junmyeon, Yixing, Kyungsoo, Jongdae, Luhan, Minseok and Baekhyun…” Promotions noona started,

“..we decided to have Kyungsoo and Baekhyun for K; Jongdae and Luhan for M. Junmyeonnie… needs to showcase his talent next time, Yixing will be better in the dance line and Minseok’s singing in Chinese still need to polish so these four will do best in the prologue single” Manager hyung continued.

I think I got a little off. I don’t know what to feel upon hearing what manager hyung has just said and I was unable to react until Chanyeol patted my head and made me look up at him

“Good luck” He cheered while giving me a sincere smile

“Let’s do our best” Kyungsoo added while tugging my sleeve.

And somehow it calmed me down.

 

 

The dance line members were asked to go to the next room for the new steps and the rest of us were asked to study the lyrics and somehow present a little show later.

“Luhan hyung, let’s try this… the duet part… from ‘I lost my mind…" Jongdae suggested to Luhan hyung and they start singing,

I lost my mind
Dang ni zou jin wo shixian
Jiu zai ni zhouwei zhengge shijie Get in slow motion

Qing ni gaosu wo ruguo zheyang jiushi ai
Ai wusuobuzai hui
Rang wo wangji shanghai fendan beiai xuexi guanhuai
Chaoguo kuguo hai neng yongbao

Qing ni gaosu wo ruguo zheyang jiushi ai

They got engrossed and finished the chorus part. We were so stunned. How could they manage to synchronize by singing it the first time and hearing the melody just once? Luhan hyung pointed out some mispronounced words that Jongdae had. And they went to the corner of the room to study it properly. I tensed a little and I turned to look at Kyungsoo but he is also busy looking at the lyrics. I excused myself at the moment and went to the washroom to spray some cold water in my face.

“Basha!” I cheered as I look myself in the mirror

“Jiayo!” I jumped when I hear Kris hyung said that line by my side. Oh my, I must be looking idiotic to him right now. Talk about being embarrassing.

“Hyung…”

“Cheer up, okay?”

His little cheering did work a little and we both head back to the room. I approached Kyungsoo and we started harmonizing. First by humming until finally coordinating the lyrics. We managed to do good in the first try-out before the actual recording tomorrow.

When we were in the car, Chanyeol heard me sigh so he asked if I’m okay. I hate myself for being unable to be a proper member to them. I shouldn’t be making them feel that I’m having a hard time or something is stressing me out. Everyone of us feel the same way but not one showed it out.

“I’m okay” I answered with a smile.

“Ahjussi, is it okay if we got off here quick?” Chanyeol asked driver ahjussi when the car stopped because of the traffic light. I got a little confused. Sehun smirked and the rest got surprised when ahjussi signaled ‘ok’ and Chanyeol suddenly grabbed my hands and got off from the car with me.

“Yah! Where are you going?!” Joonmyeon asked when he slides down the car window.

“Promise we’ll be back soon hyung!” Chanyeol shouted back while waving at them with his other hand still holding mine. WHAT IS THIS???

 

 

 

“Here” Chanyeol handed me a melon flavored Popsicle which is a bit off season. It's winter. Moreover it's damn late at night. And it's freezing cold. He went out the car without grabbing our jacket because he was really acting all-of-a-sudden.

“What are you doing?” I asked him. I don’t have enough energy to figure out what’s running in his mind.

“Opening this (popsicle)”

“No kidding please.”

“Opening your heart” He answered again and gave me a wink. I felt my face turned red.

“Yah! Stop copying my wink!”

He tells nonsense jokes. He complained at how I’m acting closer with other members than him. He strolled with me in the park. He pushed my seat in the playground swing. He’s doing random things. And I finally understand that he’s trying to ease my worries. This person really makes me feel better all the time. I’m glad I joined SME. I’m thankful I met him there. And I feel blessed he came to be my friend.

 

 

 

 

I looked at other bed not a bit far from mine.

His eyes are already closed. But he’s not making loud sounds so he’s not yet asleep. Chanyeol is. Something is bugging in my mind for a while now whenever I look at him but I can’t form it out. I shifted to my right. Time to sleep.

Stop thinking unnecessary things. Stop thinking unnecessary things.

“Can’t sleep?” I heard Chanyeol asked. I turned to look back at him.

“Yea…”

“Still bothered for tomorrow’s recording?” He asked and he sat up.

“Yea…” I lied. Yes I’m still bothered. But not about tomorrow. Not about the recording.

I’m bothered about this moment, this morning, yesterday, and even the past days. Truth is, I’m bothered about  y o u .

“Want to sleep together?” He shyly asked as he rubs the nape of his neck

“You’re sounding awkward!”

“What? Why?? Yah, just come here! I want to sleep already!” He excitedly answered back and taps the vacant space next to him in the bed.

I’m sure this will get be more bothered but I can’t stop my feet from coming to him. Kris hyung commented at how we’re always together and I agree because I’m probably magnetized by this man. Upon reaching the foot of his bed. I stopped for a while and stared at him. I suddenly wanted to run but he grabbed my hand and pulled me down.

“Aish, hurry up. It's cold.”

 

 

The one awkward was me. It was never before.

I’m used to Chanyeol smiling back at me. I don’t feel weird if he hangs his arms on my shoulders or takes my hand to hold with his. It feels natural even when he touches the nape of my neck. But now I can’t calm my heart down.

The bed is cramped but still I shifted a little farther I could even fall on the floor just one millimeter more. I hope he doesn’t hear it.

Because in this dim-lighted room with just the two of us sharing the same bed. The only noise I hear is the loud pounding of my heart.

I can’t do something to stop it so I just closed my eyes.

 

And it’s all because Chanyeol hugs me in his sleep.

 

Tell me, what is this?

 

 

-a/n-
6th chapter... i'm running out of something to say. but i thank everyone for the subs and comments. xie xie ni man. it's Chinese new year soon... i hope i can post something as a gift.. what pairing do you want? kaisoo, hunhan, sulay, xiuhan, taosu, or taoris? name it ^^ ke ke ke ke ke
good night and sweet dreams~