Two Worthy Competitors

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee


We made our way to our next scheduled class, Voice Training. I had no idea what that was about. It was just our group in the session.  Once again, we were arranged oldest to youngest. The idiot was third in line.  I was so thankful that we didn't share the same room.  The two oldest were a lot more laid back.

The session seemed to fly by, and was over in a flash. We all bowed to the our instructor as we left.  The idiot caught up to me and wrapped his arm around my neck again, "Canada, you better not cause us any problems with Kang, today. Just remember Rule 2." He squeezed me once before releasing me with a pat on the back. 

As the rest headed back to the dorm to change, I just headed to the nearest washroom. I had everything with me in my backpack. 

I was the first one of our group in the training studio.  It was empty. I went and sat down against one of the mirrored walls and waited with my eyes closed. 

"I'm impressed. You're the first one here, Jeung." Kang Bok Gu walked over to where I was sitting. I stood up and greeted him with a bow. " Manners, too. Maybe this was a good idea after all.  I always thought you just lacked self-discipline and structure. Only time will tell." By this time, a few others had arrived so he turned his attention to them to my relief. 

The rest of my group all arrived at least 5 minutes early.

”Good afternoon, everyone! Glad to see all of you were early today. We are going to do some basic fitness testing today. To make it interesting, let's make it a competition between 2 groups. Since it looks like you already have two group formed, we will go with that." He put his hands out . "Right hand side form up here. Left hand side form up here."

To no one's surprise, it was oldest against the youngest.  The older group had a slight advantage because their bodies were more mature, but we had more to prove.

"First, we will be doing timed-minute drills. Sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, and a few other surprises to make it fun. The Losing group will be penalized " Kang Bok Gu was in his element. 

"Let's get started. You two, start us off." he pointed to Kevin and Hyun Joong. The youngest and the oldest of our group." Kim, go grab two mats from the closet behind you."

I returned and handed them out to the two young men.

"One member from each team will count out the total while another member holds their feet down." Kang Bok Gu instructed.

I sit down and wrapped myself around Kevin's legs.

"Ready, get set go!" 

They both were moving up and down at the same incredible rate.  It was going to be a close match. "Time!" 

They both drop to their mats panting heavily. Kang Bok Go was holding a clipboard board.    

            "Kim Hyun Joong's total?"          "70."

             "Kevin Woo's total?"                   "65." 

"Both impressive scores. Next two, ready set, go!" 

The battle was closer than I thought. As each set challenged each other, it came down to the last pair. Oh, joy! Guess who I was going to battle it out with?

As we took our places on the mats, he leaned over, " Remember rule # 2." he smirked at me. I rolled my eyes but held my tongue. Fat chance, buddy!

"Ready, set...Go!"

I started off at the same speed as the idiot but I decide to teach him a lesson. I sped up to a very demanding rate. He tried to keep up but after twenty second he slow down huffing and puffing. I continued at my rate.

"Time!"  I dropped.

             "Yoo In Ah's total?"                       "64."

              "James Kim's?"                            "70"

A loud cheer came from the young guys as my number was recorded. As Kevin helped me up, Yoo In Ah eyes were throwing daggers at me. I'm not winning any of this guys love. 

”Let's move on, push-ups. Same pairing. Going with as many in 2 minutes.

Kevin tried his best but Hyun Joong was five years older than him. Five years of  training his body to perfection.  I bet if he were to challenge Kang Bok Gu, he could win. Everyone was able to put up decent numbers. But at this point, I would say the older group had the slight advantage.

I was the fittest of the younger guys because of the training I had been forced to do with Kang when I was exiled. I had out-performed my competitor in every  task.  He was noticeably annoyed. Hey, that's life! We were told before to try our best. I wasn't going to let his threats, threaten my chances of proving to my father that I could handle whatever hurdles life throws my way. 

”I'm going to change up the pairs.  I'd like to see the two Kims battle it out." he smiled at me.

Of course he would. Always looking for a way to put me in my place by embarrassing me. Since I was getting the better of my current partner, he decided that I should go up against the strongest opponent  available.
 
"Everyone face their opponent," he handed out skipping ropes to everybody." Take 3 large steps back. On go, you will start skipping and keeping on skipping for as long as you can, until only one is left.  This is an endurance test which requires both focus and stamina...Ready...set...go."

The poor guy who had problems dancing last night was the first to fail, only a minute in. Kang shook his head at him and told him to go over to the side to continue practicing. After 5 minutes, three more were over at the side practicing. At the ten minute mark, we were down to just 5 skippers. The sweat was pouring down my face and back. I remained focused and unaffected by it. The numbers had remained the same until the 15 minute mark when two boys lost focus and their ropes crossing, causing them to trip up. It was just the oldest versus the two youngest. 

At this point, Kang allowed the other boys to stop and cheer on their teammates. Kevin was faltering after 20 minutes. A "Sorry, James." escaped him as his collapsed down to the floor.

"Look at this! Only the Kims are standing!" Kang was nodded his head.

My whole body was screaming for me to stop, but my stubbornness wouldn't permit it. I looked up at the clock. It was 4:20 pm. I knew I could last another ten minutes and so did Kang.  During my exile, one of Kang punishments was endurance skipping for thirty minutes; every time I stopped, an extra minute would be added on.  So, I got really good at skipping out of necessity.

After thirty minutes, Hyun Joong was beginning to show sign of fatigue. He looked over at me and smiled, but continued on.

The next group of probees entered the studio. Kang snapped his fingers and motioned them to sit silently.

After another 5 minutes, Kang raised his hands up." I declare this challenge a draw! Well done, boys! Kevin, go grab them a couple of bottled waters from the trainers fridge. I will inform you all tomorrow on the results."

We, both dropped to the ground, as our groups congratulated each of us on our amazing performance. Kevin handed us the much needed water. I sat up and drank the first one down without stopping. 

”Great Effort and I see you all tomorrow, Dismissed!" Kang turned his focus to the new bunch of probees.

I had totally pushed myself to my limit, and was thoroughly exhausted. The young guys helped me up and lead me out of the studio.

"Hey, Kim!" we stopped as Hyun Joong walked over to me, and pat me on my back.

"I always enjoy a good challenge especially from someone who isn't afraid to push back." He held out his hand. I took it with both of mine and bowed slightly.

"Good man!" I had earned his respect and he had definitely earned mine.

My legs felt like jello as I climbed the stairs. Most of our group stopped at the second floor and headed towards the small auditorium. I told Kevin, I would meet him there after a quick shower. "You, crazy! There's not enough time."

"I'm soaking wet. I've got to. " and turned a continued up the stairs. 

"I'm with you on that one." I don't know how his does it, but Hyun Joong passed me on the stairs as he took two steps at a time.

As I entered the dorm, our shower was already going. God! He was fast. I grabbed a total change and ran into the other bathroom pulling off my soaked t-shirt along the way. A quick strip. Water on. Me in. Shampooed, soaped up, raised and out in three minutes. Sort of dried and dressed in two.

I met Hyun Joong at our entry way as we both struggled to get our wet feet into our shoes. We both ran back down the stairs and flew down the hallway to the auditorium. We made it in under 12 minutes. I was panting as I stopped and stood beside Hyun Joong. The digit clock glowed 5:00pm.

”Cutting it a little close. Don't you think, boys?" 

"Be - yen - nida, Sinsangnim," we said in unison with a slight bow. We were trying to look remorseful but we had a glint in our eyes that said otherwise.

 Choir was a blending of both male probees groups, kind of like an all boys church choir with a definitely edge to it. The choir master was a strict old fart that put up with no monkey business what so ever. A number of boys found that out, when they started laughing during one of his warm-up exercises. 

He had them duck walking up and down the inside  perimeter of the auditorium for the next 20 minutes.  Needless to say, the rest of us followed his instructions to the best of our abilities. 

The rest of the night was uneventful. After finished my assigned chores, I got changed into a clean t-shirt and shorrts and climbed up to my bunk. I listened to my ipod for a half a hour before turning it off to get some much needed sleep.