First Performance

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

It hurt to swallow, even liquid caused pain. Food was the last thing on my mind. I headed up to the dorm when everyone else went to the cafeteria. I set my alarm for 6:45pm, I thought a little nap might help. I climbed into my bunk. It hurt at first to lean over. I held my breath and found a position that was bearable.

All the guys were getting back and were preparing themselves for their performances. I just laid there staring into space. Originally, when my injury happened, I thought I'd be fine after a few hours. The doctor was over reacting... We're just shy of three hours after now, and I know I'm in no shape to dance or sing.

I was furious at my myself for letting Kang Bok Gu get the upper hand on me. What's that jerk's problem anyway? I couldn't scream or yell. I couldn't do anything to physically work off how frustrated and angry I was feeling.

"James, we're heading down.You coming?" Kevin asked."I'll save you a seat."

The sound in the dorm ceased, everyone was gone. I looked at my watch. 6:48pm. I slowly sled off my bunk and made my way to the kitchen. I downed a couple of advil which hurt like hell.

I figured I'd better go and support my fellow probees. I walked slowly down the stairs, my neck was stiff now and each step was painful. Was I suffering from whiplash too? I got to the auditorium at 7pm. I spotted Kevin and the guys and was making my way over to them when Yoo Ji Sung called me over.

"How are you doing?"he inquired.

"Sore and frustrated," I whispered. What I really wanted to say was I was mad as hell and wanted Kang Bok Gu to pay for his actions. Let me hold him in that same position and pretend to not see him tap out and see how he likes it.

Sit here, you don't want to stick out when the rest leave to perform." I guess he was right. Why draw attention to the fact I wasn't going up on the stage.

But the more I thought about it, it would more obvious to be the only kid sitting with all the adults.

 "If it's all the same, I'll like to be with my group to show my support." I strained my voice to be heard over the noise of excited kids.

Yoo Ji Sung smiled at me and nodded, "Suit yourself," and waved me off.

The MC for the night walked out on the stage and explained how things would work. I noticed all the probees were given a number that they pinned to their front. After that, a panel of 8 judges came in and sat down in the front row. They were introduced. My father stood and waved as he was introduced.

First up was the female choir. Their performance was amazing, especially when you consider that they only met 10 days ago. Four girls got solos and Sulli was among them. I was stunted. That girl's got a set of pipes, I tell you. The audience clapped, cheered, and whistled to show our approval.

I shouldn't be surprised, she seemed to be a natural at everything she does or tries. For someone like that, she was humble and far from arrogant. She definitely caught most of the guys attention. There was a buzz about her; what's her name? How old was she? Where's she from? Does she have a twin sister?

Next up was the male choir. I got up and walked down with the guys. I was in luck. Sulli was the last girl to take her seat, leaving an empty seat beside her. I quickly sat down in that seat.

I startled her. "What are you doing? You need to follow the others!" she whispered in my ear.

I put my finger to my lips to "shush" her and mouthed the words "Later". She showed concern on her face.

I gave her the okay sign. She shuck her head and turned her attention back to the boys on stage.

I was impressed with the guys as well. When your part of the group singing, it sounds quite different then being in the audience. They nailed it. Four of the guys had solos as well. Kim Hyun Joong was one of them, he had game. The girls loved him instantly.

The dance numbers were next. The girls were broken into three groups of seven. Each group did something different; ballet, modern, and hip hop. Sulli did ballet to my complete surprise. Was there anything this girl couldn't do!

Of course, the crew that did hip hop got the loudest cheer. It was the most provocative. What do you expect from a bunch of young hot-blooded males!

The male dance crews were broken into groups of 6, 7 and 8. I was supposed to be in the group of 7 with a minor dance solo that had to be cut because of my injury. None of the other boys in my group were comfortable performing the dance stunt. I felt mad and guilty when it was time for my dance crew turn to go up on stage. I looked around for the jerk and found him up a couple of rows to the far left of me.

The group of 8 went first, they did pretty well up until the end when one of the guys slipped and bumped into another member who fell to the ground. I would have felt bad for them but Yoo Ah In was in that group and the two that crashed were his flunkies.

The next crew had Kim Hyun Joong in it and the girls all screamed when he did his semi-solo. He was the fan favourite for sure.

The last group to perform made my heart hurt a little. I was supposed to be with them. Kevin picked up the slack and added some different elements to it in my stead. It went off pretty smoothly. I clapped loudly for them as they finished coolly with synchronized front flips.

The MC came back on stage to inform us that few probees would be receiving awards for their performances tonight. The judges were hard at work debating that subject right now. Some others would be recognized by their instructors for their effort and improvement during class. The overall rating for each probee would be posted tomorrow for all to see down into the training studios.

I wasn't surprised when they announced that Sulli was tonight's top female performer. The guys all cheers and whistled for her as she was called on stage. The girls were even louder than the boys when Kim Hyun Joong won for the top male. They were given leave for the rest of the weekend, to be back at the company by nine on Sunday night. They also received the honour of being the first in our group to get elevator privileges. Two others were given the same honour for their hard work as decided by our instructors.

The MC thanked us all for an entertaining evening and that he looks forward to seeing what new skills he will see in two weeks time. We were dismissed.