A Real Live Wire

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

 

One thing about today's events, I didn't have a chance to worry about the Tonight's performance. 

 

I had given it a lot of thought about wearing my original outfit out on the stage.  It would definitely wake up the audience.  Maybe even put the fear of God into some. It would serve them right if they got booted out because of their thoughtless prank.

 

But how would I be judged?  Would I have to explain the reason behind my attire, first? Then Sing? Would people actually hear my song or just be too shocked by what they read on my shirt?

 

I decided to forget about it, for now. I wanted to be judged solely on my performance.

 

An hour before start-time, the dorm was crazy place to be. The order of tonight’s performances was posted on our server. It was a random draw. I was going to perform fifteenth. The toughest competitors were Sulli, in the number 10 spot and Kim Hyun Joong in the number 17th spot. The buzz inside the dorm was driving me insane. It was just like any beehive, all twelve boys trying to get ready at the same time. It was loud and busy.

 

 

I promised Hyun Joong that I would stay away from Yoo Ah In at least until tomorrow. I quickly got ready and told Kevin that I would be out in the garden terrace.  I just wanted a few quiet minutes to myself, to breathe and relax. 

 

To my surprise, Sulli was sitting out there, eyes closed and head back. I slowly approached her; sat down a few feet away from her and copied her position.  It was calming just to be with her. Ten minutes passed, her alarm sounded. She turned it off and was going to stand up when she noticed me.

 

She smiled at me. “How long have you been sitting there?"

 

"Not long, maybe ten minutes, give or take a few," I said.

 

"Ready for tonight?" she asked.

 

"As ready as I can be...How about you?" I stood up first and offered her my hand.

 

"That would be my response as well. Why thank you, kind sir." she nodded her head and took my hand. I pulled her gently to her feet. My heart was thundering in my chest from our casual touch. "Should we go in?"

 

I released her hand and I glanced down at my watch, 6:40pm. "I believe we should. Did I mention that you look stunning as always?" I looked down at my feet as I complimented her.

 

"You don't look so bad yourself." She grabbed my hand again and gave it a little squeeze. “I'm happy to see you got your watch back."

 

"Me, too. Shall we?" I held my arm extended towards the door allowing her to lead the way in.

 

                                                …

 

Tonight's Performance was going to be a little different. It was going to be filmed. There were many different reasons behind it. One was to see who would shine the brightest on stage. Another was to see who would freeze under the pressure.  Another was to see who had natural camera sense.

 

We got another surprise as we walked to the theatre, we noticed there were a lot of people going into it.  We were going to perform in front of a live audience.

 

The butterflies in my stomach seemed to double as we entered the theatre. The audience composition had a good mix of ages from teenagers and university students to people my father's age even the odd grey haired grandparent for good measure.  

 

The stage had a banner across it, which read, "Who will be the next J.Tunes Star?"

 

There were two rows of chairs on the stage; ten on the left side and ten more on the right side.  No one was in them yet.

 

I saw my manager standing at the far side of the stage. We walked over to him and bowed.

 

"Ah! James Kim! Yang Sulli! Good... you're both early. When you see the other probees, direct them to go behind the stage. Everyone is going to be introduced one by one to the audience.  Thanks...I have to talk to Manager Lee before it starts." He walked off behind the stage, leaving us to do his task.

 

A group of younger female students stopped in front of us and bowed. They were giggling like crazy. 

 

"Eonni, please give us your autograph.” “You, too! Oppa!" "So we can tell all our friend we saw you both on your very first live show!" They were jumping up and down with excitement.

 

I looked at Sulli and shrugged. "I didn't know if we are allowed to... Sorry girls." They looked disappointed. "But I will ask our manager a little later.  If you can wait until after the show...maybe we'll be able to then." I added.

 

"Please cheer loudly for us!" I bowed to the young girls. They squealed in delight and ran off to their seats.

 

"Wow! ...You're a natural...You had those girls in the palm of your hand." Sulli gave me a friendly push.

 

"Yeah, right?" I spotted a group of other probees entering and waved them over.

 

 

About 7 minutes before 7pm, the last probee entered the theatre. She was in tears. Sulli ran to her side and helped her backstage. I followed behind.

 

Sulli was a great person. Not only did she help her friend calm down but she quickly wiped her friend's face clean and re-applied her makeup like a pro.  The girl hugged Sulli and thanked her. Sulli said it wasn't a big deal and that's what friends were for. She managed all that just as the MC took stage.

 

 

The MC explained to the audience that there were 48 probees to start with and how the numbers are dropping as the weeks pass. He told them that there was only two performance left until the final decision on who will continue on to being an actual trainee with J.Tunes. The job of the audience was to show their appreciation and their displeasure with each possible star.

 

Next, in order of appearance, each probee was introduced into the stage where they were asked a couple of personal questions. Some were asked why they were here? How hard was the training? Was anything a shock? What was dorm life like? How was the food?

 

I listened carefully as Sulli was introduced. "Sulli, Fighting!" I whispered at her as she ran out in stage waving to the audience. She stood by the mike and smile calmly out at everyone. "Good Evening to you all. My name is Yang Sulli. I'm in my second year in high school." 

 

The audience all cheered.

 

The MC asked how she came to be a probee at J.Tunes? She laughed and quickly told how some guy in a suit was following her around a local shopping centre. Finally, she confronted him. He turned out to be a scout. She joked that he was lucky because she had a black belt in Taekwondo. The audience all laughed.

 

"In the fifteenth spot is our next foreign born probee originally from Canada. Please give a warm welcome to James Kim." MC clapped his hands.

 

That was my cue to enter. I ran out on to the stage. About half way to the MC, I decided to do a couple of front flips then a side-flip and finished off in a cool peace pose. The audience whooped with pleasure.

 

"Now. That’s what I call an entrance!" The MC clapped me on the shoulder. "I bet you're a real live wire, aren't you?" I bowed to the MC. "Look at that! He's even got his Korean manners down...James Kim?"

 

"Yes, sir" I said.

 

"What do your parent's' think about all this?" He raised an arm out extending it around the audience.  How should I answer that question? It's probably best if I stick as close to the truth as possible.

 

"Well, to be honest. My father thought I wouldn't last the first week...Now there's only two weeks left.... I’m sure he's shocked."

 

"What about your mother? Is she surprised, too?" He asked.

 

"I believe my mom would be very proud of me." I looked up to sky. "She told me that she knew I was capable of anything once I put my mind to it."

 

I caught the MC off guard. He stared at me in silence.

 

"Don't worry...it's alright!" I patted the MC on his arm. "I have one of the most beautiful guardian angel in heaven on my side."

 

 I smiled warmly to the audience and waved. "This will be my first performance and I do my best to make memorable, as I perform for her and you tonight."

 

The applause that followed made my heart soar.

 

As I took my seat on stage, I smiled over to Sulli. She gave me a      double-thumbs up. All the other probees stared at me with their mouths open, even Kevin was shocked.

 

To be honest, I had no idea how my fellow probees were doing. I was in a kind of self-induced trance. I only snapped out of it when my name was called for a second time.

 

I stood up quickly and walked to the center of the stage.

 

"Good evening once again. Please look kindly upon me." I bowed to the audience and quickly looked over to the side to signal my start.

 

The music started to play. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I allowed myself to be swallowed up by the song.  The original artist was Lee Seung gi. The song was 'Return'.

 

I felt a single tear run down cheek as I finished my song. I felt totally drained, exhausted even. I held up my hand and waved to the audience. Once again, the applause was deafening.  I went back to my seat and collapsed into it.

 

The rest of the evening was a blur too. I stood when everybody stood and followed the person in front of me back off stage.

 

 

 

"James Kim!" the angry voice came up from behind me. "What crap are you trying to pull now?" I got shoved in the back.

 

"Back off, Yoo! Before you regret it!" Kim Hyun Joong pushed Yoo back.

 

"Always coming to his rescue, don't you?" Yoo Ah In got right in Kim Hyun Joong's face.

 

"Isn't that what a Hyung's suppose to do? Fix the problems and not cause them." Kim Hyun Joong practically touched noses with Yoo Ah In. He did not blink and move a single muscle.

 

"What is his story, anyway?" Yoo Ah In broke first. “Who’s the author who writes his scripts? I'm sure they could do a drama." He laughed then walked away. I couldn't fault his analysis... My life had the makings for a melodrama...

 

 

 

"Attention! The MC is making an announcement that all of you needed to hear!" one of the managers stated.

 

"Let me introduce to you the man that made this all possible. Our founder and president, Jeung Jihoon.”MC clapped his hands and out from the other of the stage walks my father calm, cool and collected. The audience roared with applause.

 

The MC handed my dad the microphone. “Good Evening, Everyone! I hope you enjoyed tonight’s show as much as I did. I have the honor of announcing this evening’s winners...”

 

He opened the first envelope. “In third place this evening.... He dazzled us with his footwork as well as his strong vocals.... Gave it up for Kim Hyun Joong.  Come on out."

 

He ran back out in the stage, waving and bowing to the audience. He politely shook my father’s hand and bowed to him.

 

"In second place, our resident happy virus who wooed us with her beautiful voice and rhythmic dance moves...Yang Sulli."

 

Sulli ran out and bowed to my father and to the audience. The crowd all cheered for her enthusiastically.

 

"And last but not least, in First place.... He brought us to tears with his heartfelt song...our transplant from Canada.... James Kim!" My father clapped and the audience thundered with applause.

 

Kevin pushed me to go out...I walked out on to the stage and straight over to my father. I bowed to him and then turned to the audience and did a 90 degree bow and held it for 10 seconds. The applause grew even louder.

 

My father was smiling brightly as he patted me on my back. He leaned over and said “Well done, son. Your parents would be proud of you.” He, then handed the microphone back to the MC.

 

After it quieted down, I walked over to Kim Hyun Joong and stood beside him. He patted me on my back, too. "Way to be, Dongseung".

 

"Let's have all the probees back out on stage, please." The MC motioned everyone back out. The crowd exploded with applause once again.

 

Once out, we all bowed and clapped to show our appreciation towards our great audience.

 

As a reward, any audience member interested in coming back was given passes for next week’s performance. We were each handed a stack of ticket to hand out. I noticed the young girls from before, were lined up to get new tickets. Two of them were waiting to get them from Sulli and other two were waiting to get them from me.

 

"Oppa...You're amazing...When are you going to début? I hope it isn't years from now... I don't think I can wait that long," one of the girls squeaked.

 

I shook her hand and I replied, “Please, wait for me." That sent her away with the biggest smile on her face.