The Jerk was back!

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

After we gobbled down our food, we had about 10 minutes to find the Learning Academy. The four younger boys had joined us.  As it turned out, they were all the English speakers. We huddled around the computer as I checked the on screen menu for our desired location. The Learning Academy was on the fourth floor. 

I held the door open for  a group of attractive girls to pass through before entering the academy.  They giggled and bow to us as they left.  I walked over to what looked like the reception area. There was nobody there.

 "I guess we just wait." I suggested. 

 At first we stood there quietly, but as the time stretched on and still no one showed up, we began to talk.  The six of us were talking and laughing about this morning's events. We were probably being a little louder than we should have, but that's what happens when you have a group of guys with nothing to do. They will find a way to entertain themselves. 

From the corner of my eye, I noticed someone standing with his arms crossed leaning against the far wall. I jumped a little as I recognized the face of a not so happy Michael Chan.  I stopped talking immediately,  turned a faced him and bowed 90 degrees at him. I knew he could make my life hell if he wanted to. I wanted to start off on the right foot if that was at all possible now. 

To my surprise, the other boys stopped and copied my action.

"The first rule for you all to remember is that Korean is this companies official Language, therefore, when in this building that is the language that you will speak. Is that clear? "  Silence.

 "Is that clear!" his voice was louder. 

"Yes, Sinsangnim." a few of us said in response. 

"Is that clear!" his annoyance was obvious.

 Our response was louder and in  unison "Yes, Sinsangnim!"  To be honest, I didn't think we were even aware that we were speaking english, it just happened. 

 "Follow me." He turned and walked down the hallway. To my surprise, there were quite a few different sized classrooms. Some big enough for a real class of twenty or more but most were smaller and could seat up to ten.  We passed what appeared to be a computer lab and a small library.  A couple of classes were in session as we walked by.  

We finally stopped that the end of the hall. Michael opened the door and "you may enter and find a seat. " The boys hesitated and looked at me. I looked at Michael, he motioned for me to enter.  I made my way over to the table and stood behind my chair and waited. The others followed.   Michael entered last and closed the door.  

"Looks like this group might have some hope after all. You may be seated." The group quietly sat down. "Let me introduce myself, I'm Michael Chan, the Director of The Learning Academy. I will be overseeing your educational goals and assisting your instructors  on the best way to achieve these goals. At J.Tune, we believe Education and hard work are the keys to one's success." 

"I have received some records from each of your schools. But we will require some baseline testing to see where we can best assist you.  First off, I think four of you have been to school in Korea. Raise your hands, if it was a traditional school."

I put up my hand and so did another boy. The other two, one went to the International school and the other was at the American School for the US military Brats.

As it turns out, Kevin can speak and understand Korean but never learned to read or write it. He was scouted back in Seattle and asked to come for the probational training period to see if he could cope with this crazy new life style. I think he and a couple of the other boys are in for a rude awakening.

I don't know how or why it happened, but this little group of five decided that I was their  jjiang, their unelected leader.  They followed my lead. I guess I should be flattered but it kind of blows my idea of flying under the radar.

"Kim, hang back a minute." Mr. Chan called out to me as he dismissed the group. 

"Meet you in the studio in a few." I called to Kevin.

"Don't be late."

Michael closed the door after the last boy left. "So...Here you are. " He paused for a minute, hands folded across his chest. ”I'll let you know now, you are just another probee here to learn like everybody else... James Kim... I expect you to work harder. You've got some pretty big shoes to fill." He talked for a couple minutes or so about his own expectations for me. He then patted me on the shoulder. "See you tomorrow at 9:00am." 

I bowed to him, hustle out and down the hall. I checked my watch. Crap! 2:28pm. I flew down the stairs...Third floor...Second...ran out in at the lobby. Bowed to some of my new seniors and grabbed the door handle to the lower floors and flung it open quickly. Out fell a pretty girl I kind of recognized.  But I'm so flustered and embarrassed, I helped her up and apologize for my hastiness. I booked it down the stairwell. By the time I make it to the right training studio, I was 5 minutes late. 

I quietly opened the door to see my eleven roommates kneeling quietly in front of a man who's back was towards me. I stepped into the room.  

"Mr. Kim, how nice of you to join us." I stopped dead in my tracks...No Way!

"Come...you've just volunteered to be our class example on what happens when you're late to one of my classes..." he motioned me over. 

"Oh, How rude of me? Let me introduce myself..." It wasn't really necessary. I knew that voice, that air of arrogance belonged to no other but Kang Bok Gu. I was doomed. 

"My name is Kang Bok Gu and I will be in charge of your physical training for the next six weeks." He pointed to the spot directly in front of him. 

I stood there with my head down, hands behind my back and waited. 

He looked at his watch, ”You have wasted six minutes of your classmates time and six minutes of my very valuable time. Not a good way to start your time here, Kim."

I bowed to him, "Be - yen - nida for my rudeness, Kang Sinsangnim. " 

I think I shocked him a little. He stuttered his next statement. "I am sure you are. But there is always  a price to pay. Sixty push-ups, sixty sit-ups now and you will stay to sweep and wash the floors after class today."

"Yes, Sinsangnim. " I bowed once again and then dropped to the floor to start my punishment. I did them quickly and quietly. I was breathing heavy by the end. 

”Go kneel." I went over and kneeled at the end of the row. 

We were in ”Boot Camp Hell " or that's what it felt like. I don't know if this was his normal training style or if it was because of me. But everyone paid the price. We were exhausted by the end of class. No one talked as he dismissed us, we bowed to him. 

”Look forward to seeing you all here tomorrow...on time!" He waved the boys off. "Kim, not so fast, you have work to do. Follow me."

 He showed me to the supply room. "Call me at local 2510 when you're finished.  Oh, that reminds me, the mops are only for the senior staff. You will find all the things you need in there. Make sure there are no puddles of water left on the laminate, that could ruin the whole floor. Remember local 2510," then he was gone.

I let out a large sigh.  I was alone. I grabbed the broom and headed back to the training studio.. For Bok Gu, this was a pretty mellow punishment. I knew what he was capable of. 
 
 It took me a good hour to wash to floor by hand. My knees were sore and my back wasn't too pleased either. 

"Wow, that was fast! " he said.              "Sorry!"
"I thought it would take you a few hours to wash all four studios." he commented.

I was silent...Man!  The Jerk was back!

"You did all four, right?" he asked, I could heard the humor in his voice. I didn't find it funny. 
"No, not yet...but there are people training in A and. C studio." I said quietly.

”I guess you'll have to do B first and wait until they're finished, understand?." 

Silence....

"Jeung Seungri , answer me!"

"Yes, Hyungnim, I understand!" Oops! There goes my smart mouth again. When will I learn to keep sarcasm out of a simple comment? Probably, never!

"Check yourself, Jeung! Before I come down there and do it myself." his voice was sharp.
"I apologize once again. Sinsangnim. I'd better get back to work I have a meeting at 7:00pm that I can't  miss." I hung up the phone. 

My knees were protesting miserably by the time I had finished washing  three of the four studios. I checked my watch 6:36pm. There was no way I could wash the floor in A studio before the meeting. 

I called the jerk back., "Kang Bok Gu, here."

"I have finished all but one studio of the studios.  There still is a group using it.  I will come  back after my meeting, and I finish my punishment." I hang up before he responded.