In Over-Drive

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

There was a knock at my door early the next morning. On goes the lights and in walks my dad, all dressed for a workout.

"Here." He dropped some stuff on my bed,” see you downstairs in 7 minutes." He pressed a button on his watch and left.

Are you serious?

 

I sat up slowly and grabbed at the stuff on my bed: a new Under-Armour hoodie, t-shirt, shorts and socks. It must be from a new sponsor. I got changed and headed in, to do the normal morning routines. Then made my way down to met my father.

 

He looked at his watch. "We're 2 minutes behind." He handed me a smoothy to drink. "Let's go."

 

We headed out back to his studio. To my surprise, the door was unlocked. We walked in. I had just gulped down the last of my smoothy when my eyes came down on someone coming out of the washroom.

Not someone I wanted to see.

I started to back-step and bumped into my father.

 

"Good to see you," my dad stepped around me and greeted Kang Bok Gu.

What were they playing at?

 

"Seungri," my father motioned me over.

Fat chance. I bowed slightly to Kang Bok Gu from where I stood.

 

My father let that go. "So, is your hyung going to be joining us as well?"

 

"He will, after he makes the rounds first." Kang Bok Gu stretched his arms up to the ceiling and rotated them around, "He said to start without him and he'll join in when he can."

 

"Sounds good to me." My dad started to stretch his arms out.

 

I wanted to turn and leave, it must have shown on my face. "Seungri, come over away from the door... I wouldn't want you to get a chill." My dad waved me over.

My feet felt like lead as I dragged myself over to them. I stood a little behind my dad to block my view of the Jerk.

 

"What are you doing?" my dad asked with a puzzled look on his face.

 

"Copying you." I answered.

 

"Not that... Stand there," he pointed to a spot closer to the jerk.

 

"I'm fine here. Thanks." I kept on stretching.

 

He moved over three feet to the right, so did I. He moved back to the left and so did I.

 

"Mind telling me what you're doing?" he asked.

 

"Staying close to you."

 

"What?" He turned and faced me.

 

My heart was racing so fast that I could hear it in my ears. I felt my face turn red but I didn't cared. I stayed silent and continued to stretch my limbs out. My neck was still very stiff but there was no pain involved.

 

"So, we just want to see what your status is? If you are fit enough to return to active training?" My dad stated. Kang Bok Go kept his distance from me.

 

"If you feel pain at any time, you must stop and tell us. Do you understand? " my dad demanded.

 

"Yes, I understand." I nodded.

 

"Let's get started. You can lead us out for a light jog around our estate. You set the pace to something you feel comfortable with and we'll follow behind."

 

Off we went, it was a bit jarring but not painful. I set a slower pace than I was use to. It seemed okay.

When we returned to the studio, Kang Jong Kook was using some of the free weights. He greeted my father warmly and nodded down at me.

I bowed politely to him. One Kang as an adversary or enemy was already proving more than I could handled.

 

"We should partner up and spot for each other." My father suggested.

I quickly grabbed my dad's shirt. It surprised him a little.

 

"Okay, you're with me," he said as looked at the other two men and shrugged. "You're to go easy, okay. Don't over-do it." He said to me.

 

I thought my workout went okay. I felt no pain at anytime. All three men were watching me closely. It was a little uncomfortable but I beared with it. I was thankful that Kang Bok Go kept his distance.

 

"Okay, How about doing this again on Sunday? Say around 9:00am?" my dad asked Kang Bok Gu.

 

He bowed in agreement with my dad, ”Yes, President. See you then... Seungri," he nodded to me and left the studio.

 

"You can head back to the house, Seungri. I'll be in shortly." He dismissed me with a wave of his hand and turned back to discuss something with Kang Jong Kook.

 

I headed toward the door and looked out one of the side panel to see if I could spot the Jerk. Not in my line of sight. Should I go for it?

 

I did. I bolted up the yard and was home free. Until I rounded the corner and ran straight into the Jerk's chest. He quickly grabbed my arm and stopped me from falling over.

 

"Wooh! Where's the fire? Friend!" He released me as soon as I regained my balance. I bowed to him and went to go around him.

 

"Wait, I think we need to talk." he said stepping in front of me.

 

I felt the little hairs on my back of my neck stand up. I mustered up my voice. "Sorry, but nature calls." I bowed again and stepped back the other way. This time, he didn't stop me.

 

Rationally, I know he would be crazy to do anything else to me. But...my self-preservation was on over-drive whenever I was around him now. Could you blame me?