I'm a little rusty

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

 

Kang Bok Gu had entered the room wearing a blue dobuk. I gathered up my garbage and quickly downed the rest of the milk, leaving the area clean.

 

"Form up quietly." He didn't look very impressed. He waved everyone over. We stood in age order like normal. "Looks like I get to play messenger. I've be informed that Today's class will end at 3:45pm. The rest of your schedule will be shortened to allow you to get ready for tonight's performance. You will then report to your next classes at 4:00pm and 5:00pm respectfully for run-throughs. Your dinner period will be from 6:00 to 6:30 followed by a half hour to get ready for the 7:00pm start...So...Any questions?" he didn't wait for a response. "Okay! Let's get started."

 

You would think he would lighten up a bit because it was our first evaluation day.  Oh no! Not our friendly Kang Bok Gu.  From what he was wearing, I knew we were in for it.

 

He walked over to one of the closets and opened it.  There were a bunch of white dobuk hanging up, freshly ironed and ready to go.

 

"Kim Hyun Joong...." he started calling each of us over to receive our garment.

 

After everyone had their dobuks, "What are you waiting for? Strip down and change now! No need to be shy! We're all men here. Move! "

 

I quickly kicked off my shoes and stuck my socks on them. Next, I whipped off my t-shirt off and slipped the top on. The rest of the guys followed my lead. Pants off and uniform bottoms on. I finished tying my belt like someone who's been doing it for years. Oh right, I have been doing it for a couple of years.

 

Five of us had had some form of martial arts training and knew how to tie our belts. I went over to help Kevin with his.

 

"Stop, Kim! Are you doing my job... again?  Do you want the instruct everyone or are you going to give out private lessons?" Kang Bok Gu barked as he made his way over to me.

 

I froze, " I was just showing him how to..."

 

"Push-up position!" he cut me off. I dropped immediately. He definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

 

He stood behind Kevin, "Everyone watch careful. " He went through the motions of tying the belt a couple of times. Then he had them all do it, except for me who was still in my downward position.

 

He went over to another closet and got the boys to drag out the large folded mats and had them assemble them into one large mat. I was still in my lovely position.

 

They did a quick warm-up with stretching. Didn't want anyone to pull a muscle today! Yet, I remained unmoved.

 

He had them all kneel down on the mat facing him. He decided that it would be a good day to learn basic drive rolls along with some basic steps in taekwondo like how to land when one is thrown.

 

Of course, he would need a partner, "Kim! Are you ready to join us!" He called over to me.  I really wanted to say "No," but knew that would only cause me more pain so...

 

"Yes, Sinsangnim." I didn't move.

 

"Come! I need a partner who knows how to land without hurting himself. I believe you have had some training," he motioned me over.

 

I stood up with a sigh. Yippee! I was going to be his rag doll.

 

"One of the basic skills everyone needs to learn is how to land when one is thrown. This is to insure no one gets injured... Kim, stand here... First, when your opponent has...." he went on about all the steps on how you needed to go with it once it is obvious you are going to be thrown.

 

He did about five tosses, meaning I took five landings with a thud. It doesn't really hurt honestly, but your body does get jarred and wants to stiffen up.

 

"Okay, let's partner you up. Those of you with some training here and newbie over here." He partner everyone one up so that most newbies were with someone with experience.

 

Lucky me. I had one of Yoo Ah In mates. Poor Kevin was stuck with Yoo Ah In, again.

 

"Let's have the newbie learn how to throw first." He walked them through a couple of times in slow motion. Seemed simple enough. "On three. One, two, three."

 

The sound of bodies hitting the mat one after another with a thud was strange to me. For the past couple of years, it was usually just me landing with a bang or my private instructor.  I was thrown four more times before we got to switch.

 

I was glad for the change. The guy was bigger than me but he was still easy to throw. We quickly moved on to shoulder rolls, then driving shoulder rolls.

 

"There's about 10 minutes left...Uhm, what should we do? Kim Hyun Joong, what form did you train in?" Kang Bok Gu asked.

 

"Judo, Sinsangnim," he replied.

 

"What about you, James Kim?" he asked like he didn't know.

 

"Taekwondo, Sinsangnim." I said quickly.

 

"Really! How interesting! Let's do a demo for our class... Everyone sit around the outside of the mat."  He waved his hands to shoe everyone off the mat.

 

"Okay, Kim. We'll just go easy. You can be to aggressor first," he waved me on.

 

"Sir, I'm a little rusty." I admitted.

 

"Not to worry! After a couple of hits. It always comes back." We started circling each other.

 

I did some light attacks which he countered quite easily. "Is that all you got, Kim?! I guess that's what one should expect from a boy trained in a foreign land."

 

I knew he was egging me on, I wouldn't bite. I continued with my light attacks.

 

"Enough... I will be the aggressor. You defend."  He wasn't to happy with me because I was under-performing  to my abilities. He knew it and I knew it. He was going to make me pay for it.

 

I stepped up my defenses to their highest degree. Believe it or not, he was having a little difficulty grabbed on to me.

 

"So, this is how you like to play!" His effort increased to beyond my strength. The next thing I know, I found myself in the most  painful and embarrassing position available. I quickly tapped out. But Kang Bok Gu pretended not to see and a few more painful seconds go by. I tapped again and tried to yell, "Out."

 

Kim Hyun Joong moved in. "He's tapped out, sir."

 

"Oh, really!" Kang Bok Gu released me immediately. " Didn't realize."

 

I rolled over and coughed while rubbing my neck. I staggered into an upright position. I turned and bowed to him. He bowed back. He turned and faced the group.

 

My late lunch was trying to make a come back. I fought the urge and swallowed hard. My throat burned.

 

"The dobok, you are wearing now, is yours for the duration of your training here. It is your own responsibility  to keep it clean and presentable. From now on, every Wednesday you will needed to wear your dobok to class for Martial Arts Training." He was looking straight at me. I didn't look away and continued to rub my neck.

 

"Looking forward to seeing you perform tonight. You're dismissed." He turned his attention towards his next group of victims who had entered.

 

I grabbed my shoes and put them on, tucked my clothes under my arm and bolted for the exit.