Well, if it isn't Sleeping Beauty

More Than Just A J.Tunes Probee

Amazingly enough, our whole dorm had made it through the first crazy week.  We seem to have settled into the routines of dorm life. I totally lucked out with my roommates.  Even though I shared with the two oldest, they're not pulling the "I'm our senior, bow down" attitude and the four of us get along great. They aren’t slobs and they keep their stuff in reasonably good shape.

 

We were told that we would be having our first evaluations this coming Friday. Most of the probees were on edge about it. By Wednesday night, the stress was showing. You could feel the tension growing. Tempers were short.

 

To stay out of the line of fire, I played it smart and avoided Yoo In Ah and his group whenever possible. When in our dorm, I'd stay in our room; working on homework, listening to music or sleeping. Truthfully, there wasn't much leisure time anyway.

 

 Some of the boys would go out to the common area on our floor to practice new dance moves and to get the latest low-down on the hottest female probee. It was the only opportunity we really had to hang with the other group of male probees.

 

"Hey, James!!"  Kevin popped his head in our room. "The guys and I are heading out to common area, feel like doing some free-styling?" 

 

"Might. Depends if I can finish this." I held up my algebra workbook.

 

"Chan is such a slave driver. I'm glad I got Lee Sinsangnim, we don't get half the homework you guys do...Later." He closed the door.

 

I was pretty tired and just wanted to close my eyes and forget about everything. Just relax.

 

 

I must have nodded off, "James... James Kim!" I was shaken awake. I rolled over on my bed towards the wall away from the calling.

 

"Kim! Move it! !" At that, someone grabbed my blankets and pulled them down.

 

”What's your problem?! " I snapped as I rolled over. My heart skipped a beat.  It was my manager, Yoo Ji Sung.  I quickly jumped down from my bunk and bowed apologizing for my rudeness.

 

 "Just got a call from Chan Sinsangnim, saying you were missing.  Are you all right?" he was giving me the once over with his eyes.

 

"Be-yen-nida, " I quickly got dressed.

 

"We'll discuss this later..." his voice was sharp as he walked out the room. I grabbed the books off my bunk and throw them in my backpack and bolted out of the dorm.

 

The doors to my class where shut, I peeked in through the window. Chan was leaning against the front of his desk lecturing in English.  I knocked twice and waited.  He motioned me in.

 

" Well, if it isn't Sleeping Beauty! Come!" He waved me over to him. He put his hand on my shoulder and gave me the once over as well. "You appear to be fine...Is there a valid reason for your lateness?"

 

"No, sir." I stood there looking down at my feet. He let out a loud sigh. “See me after class, take your seat."

 

As I took my seat, I glanced over at Sulli. She smiled sympathetically at me as I unpacked my homework from yesterday.

 

"As you are all aware, we, as your instructors have submitted reports on your progress  to the Evaluation Committee. At tonight's assembly, whose of you who have risen above the rest will be recognize for your efforts," he was walking around the class. He paused directly in front of me"... Most probees find the first evaluations quite eye opening."

 

Why did he stop at my desk? Should I be worried or am I being paranoid?  I can honestly say that I have surprised myself.  I thought I would stick out; that people would wonder why in the heck would they even let someone like him in the door. But that wasn't the case at all.

 

"I'll see you all tonight, class dismissed," he was looking at me.  I remained seated as my classmates started to leave.

 

"So... How should we handle your tardiness?...Any suggestions?" he asked me. I shrugged my shoulders.

 

He turned and walked back to behind his desk. ”Uhm...let's start with you washing all the desks tops and work surfaces in the academy." He opened a cabinet and put out a spray bottle.

 

"Here, I suggest you get started now and come back at dinner time. We're locking  up earlier tonight because of the performance at 7:00pm... So I wouldn't waste any time if I was you." He held out the spray.

 

I quickly walked over and held out my hands. "Yes, Sinsangnim. All the desks?"

 

"And work surfaces." he replied.

 

No breakfast and now looks like no lunch either. I started my task, quickly spraying a whole row at a time then wiping them down. I looked up at the clock as I finished the third classroom.

 

Crap! I looked down the hall. The place looked deserted. I shut the door and opened my backpack to change into my work-out clothes...No! In my haste this morning, I didn't pack any. I took off down the hall and out to the main reception area.

 

'I'll be back later to finish my job." I put the spray down on the counter and ran out the front door. I couldn't risk being late again today.

 

On my way out of voice training, I stopped by the cafeteria to grab something to eat. Anything quick would work.  I was in luck, one of the coolers had freshly made kimbap. I grabbed a couple of packages and a couple of milks and made my way towards the stairwell.

 

Just as I was about to pass the elevator, it opened. Out stepped my father and Mr. Chae. I stopped immediately, and bowed politely "Good afternoon,...Ah.. President Jeung, Mr. Chae."  During my sputtering, one of my milks slipped out of my hands landing right at their feet.

 

I quickly grabbed it up and bowed again apologizing for my clumsiness.  They both laughed it off. My dad looked around, "So, how's things?"

 

"Fine, thanks for asking. Sorry..." I looked over my shoulder," I've got to run. I can't be late." I bowed yet again and bolted for the stairs. I didn't look back. I knew it was rude of me but what could I do. I needed to eat something plus I needed to go up to the dorm to change. I took the stairs two at a time.

 

I wolfed down one kimbap while I got changed, and drank one carton of milk in a few gulps. I raced all the way down to Kang Bok Gu's class to finish the last kimbap. I had  7 minutes. I plopped myself down in one of the corners, away from everyone, and started eating.

 

"Well, look at our lonely friend from Canada...We haven't seen much of you outside of class these days." Yoo Ah In walked over to me. I quickly popped 2 pieces of kimbap in my mouth.

 

 "Didn't have time for lunch I see... How the kimbap here? Can I try one?" he reached down and grabbed one before I answered. "Not bad!" He took another. I quickly threw two more in my mouth and was going for the last piece. "Not in the mood to share, I see."

 

"Sorry about that! Busy schedule and all!" I said as innocently as possible. I went to stand up but he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Leaving? I was going to keep you company."

 

"Why that was considerate of you." I continued to rise up. This time his hand applied pressure back. I stopped. "Can I help you with something? "

 

"I just wanted to spend some time with you." He patted my shoulder," wouldn't want you to think I was ignoring you"

 

"That's okay, Friend." I grabbed his hand reassuringly and stood up. "Class is about to start."