Of Ideals and Ordeals

Open Relationship; Open to Trouble

OF IDEALS AND ORDEALS

“They say love changes a man.”


“Ideal type?”

Jiwon looked up from her work of managing shoes on the sidelines when she heard Kris’s voice. She’s never bothered to pay attention to any of Kris’s interviews before but hearing the words ideal type now made her curious. 

“I think we all know what his ideal type is.” Luhan joked from the side and gave Kris a playful punch. Kris on the otherhand, gave Luhan a mili-second scowl. 

“Oh, that’s right.” The interviewer laughed along with Luhan. “What about you then Luhan?”

Jiwon went back to her tasks as she thought about the question Kris failed to answer. She was curious. She wanted to know if Kris’s ideal girl was indeed someone like Sora. Someone tall, beautiful, elegant… Who was she kidding? Sora was any guy’s type. She’s also dating her boyfriend for too freaking sake. 

“Hmm…” Luhan hummed as he thought of his answer. He knew the practiced answer  by heart, but something about watching Jiwon who he thought was looking his way a few seconds ago, he decided to update his answer a bit. “The key trait is refreshing. She is different from all the girls I have ever met. She’s honest because she’s a bit loud and never afraid to say what’s on her mind. She’s outgoing and cute without trying too hard because she never shy away at every little thing I do. She’s not the type of girl that blushes with every little touch. She’s funny without trying to ever make me laugh. She’s someone who can make me smile without ever doing anything. All I need to do is look at her and I find myself smiling. Everything she says somehow just… makes me happy. She just knows what to say and what to do without ever trying to impress me. She just is.”

While Luhan was busy staring into a particular distance, Chanyeol and Kris carried a face of disbelief with how blatantly obvious the idiot sitting in between them was being.

“What’s with the faces?” the interviewer asked seeing the three expressions. 
 
“Ahh… Well,” Chanyeol tried to laugh it off. “Luhan’s ideal type changed quite a bit.”

“What can I say?” Luhan smirked to the camera. “I’m a changed man.”

“They say love changes a man.” The interviewer joked.

“I’m sure.” Luhan smiled coyly, earning a dramatic ‘ooo’ from the interviewer.

“Nothing more romantic than an on air confession.” the interviewer pushed the mic closer to Luhan.

“Is that so? I-“

“OKAY!” one of the managers from SM clapped and pushed through the scene nervously. “It’s lunch time for the three hard working lads.”

“But if Luhan really has someone-“

“I can assure you Luhan was just being his playful self.” The manager smiled and put his hands behind the interviewer’s back to walk the guy out. Before heading out the door, the manager gave Luhan a harsh glare only to be replied with a nonchalant shrug of the shoulders.


“What the hell was that?” the manager hit Luhan’s head with a rolled up piece of paper. 

It didn’t hurt. But that didn’t stop Luhan from acting all over dramatic with his hands up in the air. “I was just being honest.”

“Then is there a girl?”

“Maybe.”

“Mab-Maybe?” the manager groaned with his hands on his forehead. “You can’t say things like that if it’s just a maybe. You can barely say it if it’s a yes. You are so lucky you’re not an idol.”

“What did he say?” Jiwon whispered to Kris out of curiosity. 

“You didn’t hear?” 

“Hear what? Should I have? I kind of tune Luhan out nowadays.” 

“It’s fine then. It’s only trouble to you if you knew.”

Jiwon nodded and shut . Sure she was curious, but the association of Luhan with trouble was enough to kill her curiosity. For now at least.

“What if there was a girl?” Luhan who was glancing at Jiwon from the side asked.

“Then tell us about it before you decide to go public yourself.”

“So I can go public-“

“Does the girl want to go public?” Chanyeol scoffed when he had enough of hearing crazy things out of his mouth.

“Why wouldn’t she?”

“I don’t know. Maybe you should actually ask the girl if she even likes you-

“She-what? Oh my god.” The manager slapped his hands on his face again when he heard the last part of what Chanyeol said. He gave Luhan a look full of skepticism.  “I’m hired to take care of an idiot.”

The manager then walked away after hitting Luhan a couple of times more with his piece of paper. "I can't believe I got a college degree to babysit." 

“What girl?” Jiwon whispered again while Kris just shrugged and slapped his face with his own hands too.


“She has a boyfriend you idiot.” Kris went inside the bathroom to where Luhan was. “If I remember correctly, you met him too.”

“I remember.” Luhan continued to wash his hands without sparing Kris even a glance. “But that hasn’t stopped you from flirting with Jiwon.”

“Excuse me?”

“Oh please.” Luhan rolled his eyes, shook his hands dry and turned to face Kris. “Contrary to popular belief, I’m actually not an idiot. I see things. I see how you are with her. You like her. But guess what? I like her too.”

“You don’t like Jiwon.” Kris rolled his eyes at the thought. “You need to back off because it’s an obvious fascination you have. You. Don’t. Like. her.

“What’s the difference?”

“There is a difference with you. I know you. You gasp seeing something shiny and then you throw it away when you play enough to get it all dirty.”

“What are you talking about?” Luhan scrunched up his face and looked at how Kris was being.

“I’m talking about how short your fascination tends to be. You never like anything enough to keep-”

“Don’t talk as though you actually know me. What makes you so sure?" Luhan huffed angrily. "You know what? How are you so sure if what you have with Jiwon isn’t mere fascination?”

“What-"

“You know, at least I don’t have another girl on the side. Does the name Park Sora ring a bell? Do you remember how important she is to you? How much she meant to you? You love her. Park Sora. And I would hate to see your real love life fall into the drains because of a fascination with something 'sparkly' on the side.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“I’m only reminding you. You and Sora have been together for years. And you suddenly act as though it was Jiwon who you’ve been dating this entire time as displayed by your ‘back-off-my-girl’ attitude. You’ve known Jiwon for a little less than a month. So why don’t you back off because it’s obvious to me and you who’s the one in the room with a fascination for sparkly things.”

With that, Luhan walked out of the room with a slam of the door. 


Kris walked out the building with a heavy heart. He just saw Jiwon wave at him enthusiastically, probably going to ask him to go out for dinner as she did the entire week. But he just pretended as though he didn’t see her and ran to the car. 

He sat in his cars, locked the doors and smacked his head lightly onto the steering wheel. For whatever reason, all his head could do was reply the conversation between Luhan and him.

What if it was true? What if he did make the mistake of losing Sora for a mere infatuation with a girl he’s just met? He knew the plan was to break it off with Sora but now that he’s really thinking about it… what happens if he does break it off with Sora? Would he then be with Jiwon? And that’s if Jiwon breaks it off with Kai.
What is to say Jiwon would be better for him than Sora? Kris was still in love with Sora and Jiwon was still in love with Kai. What is to say that Kris and Jiwon will fall in love with each other when they are already so attached to other people? 

Breaking it off with Sora meant for Kris to move on… to find someone new. But Kris was confused. He didn’t know if he wanted someone new. What if Sora was as good as it gets? And what if he walked away from Sora for someone he barely knew, for someone like Jiwon, for someone who could potentially be a mistake. 

Kris looked up from the steering wheel and actually the car. As he puled out of the parking lot though, he saw Jiwon get into a car hesitantly. He’s forgotten how manipulative Luhan could be in pulling on people’s conscious. Kris didn’t have to feel bad. Sora wanted an open relationship right? Honestly, he doesn’t need to break it off with Sora nor does he have to ignore Jiwon. He’s allowed to both. And he’ll just have to keep it that way for until he’s figured out his feelings fully. 

Sure, it all sounds bad. Someone is bound to get hurt from something like this. But Kris has been a nice guy all his life. Isn’t it his turn to be a little selfish? 


“Thanks for taking me home Luhan.” Jiwon smiled to the man who kept his eyes clearly on the road.

“You could always repay me with your company for a meal.” Luhan brought the conversation back to earlier, when Luhan was bugging Jiwon to go and eat dinner with her. 

“Like I said, I don’t know-“

“Come on. I’m hungry. It’s just a meal. You didn’t eat. I didn’t eat. Why can’t we just eat together? We’re going to eat later anyway.”

Jiwon laughed to herself a little when she watches Luhan behave so childishly. How could she say no. “I guess dinner won’t hurt?”

“I know this great Chinese place that taste exactly like home.” Luhan smiled bright and made a sharp turn. 


Kai gulped down his glass of water and looked around the empty apartment. It was such a rare sight. Kai can never remember any other time where he’s come back without Jiwon either sitting on the living room watching TV, standing around the kitchen making food or in the bedroom working on something on the computer. 

Kai walked in the bedroom and looked around once more. He walked to Jiwon’s desk to where there be a picture of him and her and smiled. It was sometime during the summer after they had both graduated high school. They went to the beach and Jiwon talked Kai into taking a couple picture. 

Kai looked at the other things on her desk and traced his fingers on the stickers she had on her desk, laughing to himself when he remember the strange fascination the girl had for animal stickers. Kai’s eyes landed on the black portfolio. He remembered again how much Jiwon loved photography as some nights, Jiwon would snuggle up to Kai and flip through the photo book to show and explain to him every detail of her pictures. 

The pictures were all familiar. He remembered every little thing she’s told him. That was until he landed on a page that he’s never seen before. But somehow, it was strangely familiar. 

It was a picture of a guy. They were portrait shots. And Kai was not bothered by that fact. What did bothered him was the smile the guy in the picture had. The guy in the picture didn’t seem to be looking into the camera, but something behind it. Someone Kai knew was Jiwon.

Kai isn’t the type of guy who gets bothered easily. He’s actually never been bothered. But there is always a first for everything. 


“So why didn’t your boyfriend pick you up?” Luhan picked up his chopsticks and tried to bring up the topic naturally.

“He’s probably busy.” 

“Well if I was your boyfriend,” Luhan poured Jiwon a glass of tea without looking her in the eye “I would pick my girlfriend up no matter how busy.”

Jiwon let out a chuckle as she sees this new and weird side of Luhan. “I’m sure you’ll make a wonderful boyfriend.” 

“Of course. You’re boyfriend should be bothered to know how it’s kind of his fault your with a catch such as myself. You might fall for me if he doesn’t pick you up next time.” Luhan sang and tilted his head side to side. 

“I’ll be sure to tell him.” Jiwon joked. Luhan frowned though seeing how Jiwon seemed to be getting none of his vibe. Usually when he is with a girl, they throw at themselves at Luhan’s slightest hints because girls tend to jump to conclusions. But Jiwon isn’t jumping. She’s not even budging. 

“So Jiwon, how would you describe your ideal type?” Luhan laced his fingers together and placed them under his chin.

“Why the weird question?”

“I don’t know. I always get asked that question so I thought to ask someone else for one. Now answer.”

“I guess…  I tend to like guys who look tough on the outside but soft and squishy on the inside.”

Well that killed Luhan’s mood. He frowned at Jiwon’s ideal type. It seemed to be the opposite of everything Luhan was. Luhan was soft and squishy on the outside and tough on the inside. Or at least he likes to think he is.

“Well I think ideal types are stupid. Expectations are the sort of things that lead to dissapointment.” Luhan commented in a bitter voice. 

Jiwon looked at him and let out a small chuckle. “You are kind of right.”